Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tahiti on Paul Gaugin...anyone use the Free Airfare deal?

Would like anyone's input on their trip to Tahiti on the Paul Gaugin with the free airfare deal.

What airline was used? how many stops? was it a pleasant trip? any problems?

I checked airfares from Miami to Papeete and found them to be about $1500 per person. Yikes!

Also, would you suggest staying one night pre- and one night post- cruise in a Tahiti hotel?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Thulewx

Default Re: Tahiti on Paul Gaugin...anyone use the Free Airfare deal

I'm going on it on 25 May, staying 4 nights on Bora Bora pre-cruise, using Radisson's air. They almost always use Air Tahiti Nui, which gets good reviews. If you get to the LAX terminal early enough, they'll let you upgrade for $600, but few complaints about their coach class. All new Airbus 340's with individual tv screens. Almost everyone I've read agrees that pre-cruise is much more advisable than post-cruise. Hotels in French Polynesia are exorbitantly expensive and their service isn't nearly as good as on the Gauguin, so, if you do a post-cruise stay, you'll be leaving Tahiti with a foul taste in your mouth. Best to go early, enjoy the hotel and rest up from the flight, then board the Gauguin early (3pm as opposed to regular arrivals at 9pm), make all your reservations before the ship fills up, and enjoy.
Old April 13th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Thulewx for the info. Sound like a great vacation 11 days in Tahiti. I'm glad they aren't using some old air force plane to get you there. I'm amazed that they can throw in the air for that price.

I assume you are staying at the Radisson in Bora Bora. I know the hotels are a bit expensive there, but anything around $200 or so is probably a good deal.

The upgrade sounds great since it's a 16 hour flight in total, at least 5-6 hours from Miami to LA and the remainder from LA to Tahiti.

A group of us are looking at next year in early June and I noticed they do offer free air on a few of the itineraries.

I agree staying pre-cruise and not post and will pass it on to the group we have going.

Is it possible to deviate the air travel home to go from Tahiti to Hawaii (stay a few nights in Hawaii) and then LA to MIami? I would think the air/cruise package would NOT let you do that. Any thoughts?

Have a great trip and let us know how it was.
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Thulewx

I doubt if they'll let you deviate to Hawaii post-cruise. Air Tahiti Nui doesn't fly to Hawaii so you'd need to use another air carrier that's not part of Radisson's air deal.
I'll be staying at the Le Meridien on Bora Bora - one of the hotels that Radisson offers. They have a new hotel owned by Radisson on the main island of Tahiti that opens after 1 June. None of them are really cheap - it's just the way of the islands...
Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Linda in California

http://www.airtahitinui-usa.com/

Air Nui runs specials from LA to Papeete that are about $400rt.....get on their email notification...you have to move fast to catch them, but well worth it.......
Old June 18th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Thulewx

Well, the trip was great! Air Tahiti Nui did a very good job - decent food. I sat in Business class going to Tahiti - VERY comfortable - you can upgrade at LAX for $600 one way - worth it for the 8hour flight - you get noise reduction headphones, booties, eyecovers, earplugs, free booze.