Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2004, 07:27 PM
hcat

Default Is Kaui not to be missed?

Looking for cruises to Hawaii for 05. Some do not go to Kaui. We have heard it is the most beautiful island. Should we not connsider any that do not go there?
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Is Kaui not to be missed?

Kaui is certainly a beautiful island. Even on an all day tour you will only get to see a part of it. I wouldn't base a cruise decision solely on this port stop or not , but, would balance that out with the other ports, the ship and cruise line , etc.
Old June 21st, 2004, 11:06 AM
hcat

What are some of the options on Kauai?
Old June 21st, 2004, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Is Kaui not to be missed?

Helicopter tour of the cliffs and Canyon (Jurasic Park stuff), Boat ride on the nort west shore , Bus to the Canyon and other sights like blow hole, Wailu River and Emerald Grotto. A day on a beach such as Poi Pu (often rated best beach in Hawaii or even in US.). A snorkelling trip, catamaran ride. Almost anything you want to do.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:15 PM
Passenger

If someone were to ask me about places NOT to be missed, I'd start with Kauai, and Maui, and the Big Island... oh, heck, don't ask me, I'm hopeless ()
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:27 PM
Passenger

I certainly wouldn't want to miss it. Was there in 2002 and will be there again in Nov. Next to Maui, Kauai is our favourite. Waimea Canyon should definitely not be missed.
Spectactular.

Old June 23rd, 2004, 05:30 PM
hcat

I guess we agree so we will book something that includes Kauai
Old June 29th, 2004, 01:31 AM
hanna

Don't miss Kauai, it is beautiful. Although I live on Oahu, my absolut favorite island is the Big Island, followed by Kauai, Maui then Oahu. The big isle is my fave because it is so diverse. On minute you are in desert/lava surroundings, next thing you know, you are in a tropical forest with beautiful waterfalls. Then of course there are the volcanos that can't be missed.
Kauai is beautiful also, very laid back. Nice place to really get away from it all.
Hope this helps.
Old July 11th, 2004, 10:59 AM
ljones

What excursion would you recommend in December? Land tour w/ Waimea Canyon or boat tour to Na Pali coast? Would the water normally be very rough in December at Na Pali?
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:09 PM
First Mate

On our land trip to Hawaii, Kauii was our favorite island but the others are all pretty good too. Don't miss the Waimea Canyon - the views are spectacular and the drive there is lovely.
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:07 PM
asgiess

I just returned from the Pride of Aloha cruise where we stopped for two days in Kauai. It was my favorite island. I would recommend that you NOT miss this island. For real fun, try the ziplining at Kauai Backcountry Adventures. It was by far the most fun we had the whole time in Hawaii.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:16 PM
hcat

We finally found the perfect cruise for us --which will include Kaui but only 1 day on Maui--guess that's an OK compromise. It's RT LA so we are happy with that! Thanks for the suggestions.
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Beginner

We just got back from hawaii POA crusie and we loved the sunset dinner sail along the Na Pali coast it was one of the best things we did while in hawaii.
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Susan Hofer

We did the Fern Grotto and cruise down the Wailea River and it was a complete waste of time & money. It poured rain and was really boring. But we took someone's advice and we could have done much better with something else. The island itself is beautiful.
Old August 15th, 2004, 02:36 PM
First Mate

You don't want to do Napali coast boat trips in the winter. Remember in virtually all of Hawaii that the north coast of all islands gets very BIG surf and waves in the winter. Swimming and boating out of north shore areas can be dangerous, and many tour companies do not offer them in the winter for north shore areas. This means that winter is a good time to drive to north shore areas (esp. Oahu or Maui) to watch surfers, but not to get into the water yourself. In the winter in Kauai I would go to Waimea Canyon, take a helicopter trip over the Napali coast, and swim at Poipu Beach. Save the north coast and Napali coast boat trips for the summer.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 06:32 PM
Stella

Has anyone else been to Fern Grotto and Wailea River Cruise.

Is your opinion the same as Susan's.
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:58 PM
hcat

Susan
Aside from bad weather what didn't you like Was the scenery ugly & what about the singing performance. ? Was it crowded? We are thinking about the same excursion during March...
Old September 12th, 2004, 04:37 PM
First Mate

The Fern Grotto tour is vastly over-rated. Get a car and drive, or take a helicopter ride on Kauai. You will have a much better time.