Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Seeking Advice on Haleakala Crater at Sunrise excursion

My wife and I are doing the NCL 11 Day Hawaii Inter-Island Cruise in September. We are considering the NCL Haleakala Crater at Sunrise excursion in Maui. However, we are afraid of missing the scenery during the 2 hour drive up to the crater rim because it will still be dark during that time. I guess we will see the scenery during our trip back down, but would like to know if the tour bus stops at any lookout points along the way down. Also, which side of the bus is best for pictures on the way down? Hoping that someone who has done this NCL excursion can help.
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Seeking Advice on Haleakala Crater at Sunrise excursion

hesel,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My wife and I are doing the NCL 11 Day Hawaii Inter-Island Cruise in September. We are considering the NCL Haleakala Crater at Sunrise excursion in Maui. However, we are afraid of missing the scenery during the 2 hour drive up to the crater rim because it will still be dark during that time. I guess we will see the scenery during our trip back down, but would like to know if the tour bus stops at any lookout points along the way down. Also, which side of the bus is best for pictures on the way down? Hoping that someone who has done this NCL excursion can help.
There's only one road to the summit of Haleakala, so you definitely will see the same scenery on the way down that you would miss on the way up.

And I doubt that the bus will make many stops on the way down because there really are no places to pull off the road and stop. If your port of call is Lahaina, though, it might make a comfort stop in or near Kahului.

Norm.
Old August 5th, 2007, 08:53 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

Hi,we used Ehaki Tours for our sunrise van tour this past July. After the sunrise,we then went to the top lookout area. Then I think we stopped down closer to the bottom..but the other poster is correct,you will see the views on the way down. I know the road has switchbacks,so you will see views no matter which side of the bus you are on,but I think there was more to see if you sit on the left hand side (drivers).I loved this tour as their van only holds 12 ppl. We ate breakfast at a beautiful golf course!

I dont know where you are from,but I will say this...it is VERY cold and windy at sunrise and I will bet more so the month you go than in July. Im from Texas so not use to cold,and it was too cold for me to stay out for long. We had a couple with us from Chicago and the driver told them to go back into their hotel room and get the blankets off the bed..they laughed but did so...they said they would not have made it if it were not for those thermal blankets! I wore a warm up suit,over jacket,hat,gloves and had a small blanket,and FROZE! But,it was a great day! Enjoy! Dot