CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Styles At Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/)
-   -   Wraps, Shawls, Pashimas, Sweaters, what do you pack? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/313018-wraps-shawls-pashimas-sweaters-what-do-you-pack.html)

LisaK April 26th, 2006 12:03 PM

Wraps, Shawls, Pashimas, Sweaters, what do you pack?

I pack a white lightweight cardigan sweater -(goes with everything) to throw over my shoulders for casual nights.
I pack a wrap to match my gown for formal night

nlb1050 April 26th, 2006 02:03 PM

I pack a couple of nice jackets to go along with my casual and maybe a wrap to go with formal.

Trip April 26th, 2006 08:32 PM

All my dressy things have long sleeves, so I don't usually get a chill in the dining room. Walking on the deck at night is so brief, I am back inside quickly, but I do love the pashmina look.

Darcy April 27th, 2006 10:41 AM

I pack a lightweight dressy black sweater. I find the dining rooms and show room can be a little cool for me.

Luanne Russo April 27th, 2006 10:46 AM

I drink Foo Foo drinks and let my hubby walk with his arms around me. LOL

Luanne

LisaK April 27th, 2006 11:24 AM

LOL

Donna April 27th, 2006 07:27 PM

I also pack a light weight sweater, hardly ever have used one, but I have it, for "just in case".

showcat April 27th, 2006 10:53 PM

All of the above. A white or off white sweater, a black blazer, brown blazer or sweater, reversable wind breaker jacket. I pack a sweatshirt and some long sleeve tops as well as short sleeve, and sleeveless. Better safe then sorry. Ships A/C are way too cold for my small frame.

rollerdonna April 29th, 2006 10:46 PM

I am always freezing in the AC!! I never go anywhere without a sweater, shawl, bolero jacket or something! I love getting the $10 Pashminas onboard in a variety of colours - they make great gifts too!

donna

CruisinK n J May 1st, 2006 09:37 PM

Wraps, Shawls, Pashminas, Whagt you You Pack?

This time for the Cruise of the Century, I'm taking a cotton Ralph Lauren sweater that I got on sale, plus heaven knows what else! :) I haven't gotten that far yet! My DH accuses me of shopping for the whole year ahead of this cruise. What fun! :)

Judy

yelapa May 2nd, 2006 03:16 PM

:D I have been a wrap fanatic for a long time. I usually bring 2 of my favorite ones and buy 2 more at the $10 Terner shop onboard. I give some of them away as gifts and I also made my daughter some mini shawls from a couple of them :)

Yelapa

Anne Campbell May 2nd, 2006 07:17 PM

Pashima is great especially on chilly cruise ship. I tend to take long chiffon scarves, which lets me wear my long black skirt or evening pants, a white tank top and some flea market jewelry and look great!

NIP May 2nd, 2006 11:25 PM

You can buy Pashimas onboard for $10?? I'll be on a Carnival cruise. It is my first cruise and I didn't know what kind of shops were onboard. Would you find these in a Carnival shop? If so, I can do my shopping for gifts at one stop and won't have to lug things around the islands! No t-shirts this time! My daughters will be happy!!

Luanne Russo May 2nd, 2006 11:42 PM

Please don't think of me as unworldly, but what is a Pashimas? I was hoping that someone else would ask, but now the suspense is killing me. I fear that I have had one, and didn't know that's what it was called.
If it only cost 10.00 then I probably have had one. LOL

Luanne

NIP May 2nd, 2006 11:56 PM

Luann, I had to do a quick "Google" search to see what it was. It looks to be a "shawl" but I couldn't tell you what the difference was! LOL

Someone will enlighten us I'm sure.

fleaberry May 3rd, 2006 10:15 AM

I have a pink pashmina that my sister bought me a few years ago on board the Carnival Glory. They are a good buy for 10$. Also I bring some other sheer, or sparkly wraps that I get on clearance. After Christmas there are a lot of sales on formal wear like purses and wraps. Most of mine that I get I wait until they are over 50% off! Good deal for something I only wear once or twice a year,

papermouse May 3rd, 2006 10:21 AM

What is a pashmina?

A pashmina is simply an oversized shawl. Usually a 80/20, 70/30 or even a 50/50 blend of cashmere and silk respectively. An authentic pashmina is made of hairs shorn from the underbelly of Himalayan goats – giving a material a plush softer-than-cashmere texture. Generally the size of a pashmina is 28? x 80?.

Hope this helps.

lindsmatt May 14th, 2006 12:47 PM

Pashminas

Which ship do they sell the $10 pashminas on? I'm going on the Enchantment on RCL next week and I'd love to get them as gifts.

fleaberry May 14th, 2006 02:40 PM

I got my pashmina on the carnival glory. I don't know about RCL. It even washed beautiful...just needed to be ironed and it was as good as new. Have fun!

Magnolia Blossom May 15th, 2006 05:47 PM

I've seen the $10 pashimas on the Grand Princess, the Norwegian Sun and the Carnival Conquest. I think it's a fairly standard item now, the new inch of gold, if you will.

One of my other favorites is to wear pareos as a skirt. Took me a while to figure out how to tie it so it hung right but now I love them. They pack down to nothing and can be tied around the neck for great bathing suit cover ups. I have a strapless suit and they look particularly good with that style. And they come in such great colors. Each one reminds me of the island where I got it. What a treat.

NIP May 15th, 2006 09:34 PM

The Valor had them in MANY colors - one style, one fabric.

Grandma June July 16th, 2008 10:21 AM

Where are you cruising and how much time do you plan to be on deck after dinner? Will you be in port, in protected water, or on open sea? A light shawl is all you need in the Southern Caribbean, even if you are outside at 2:00 am. On the other hand, if you are in Glacier Bay or at the tip of Cape Horn, think WARM! Think winter coat, hats, and gloves! Some of our best cruises have been to destinations that were chilly!

Alaska Cruise Tour, Sun Princess, 1998
Southern Caribbean, Wind Surf, 2000
Panama Canal, Sun Princess, 2001
Western Caribbean, Carnival Miracle, 2005
South America & Cape Horn, Golden Princess, February, 2007
Bahamas, Carnival Celebration, October, 2007

Planned:
Scandanavia & the Baltics, Crown Princess, August, 2008

Mike M July 16th, 2008 06:13 PM

My wife never cruises without packing, at least, two pareos. She loves them.

In regard to sweaters or shawls. One persons hot is another person's freezing. In 26 years the only "real" arguments that my wife and I have gotten into are over the setting on the thermostat. She thinks 75 is cold. I think it's hot.

I think Alaska is a nice warm place. LOL

Take care,
Mike

sparks23 April 1st, 2009 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollerdonna
I am always freezing in the AC!! I never go anywhere without a sweater, shawl, bolero jacket or something! I love getting the $10 Pashminas onboard in a variety of colours - they make great gifts too!

donna

what is a pashmina?

i bought a shawl to go with formal dress

vi reynolds June 20th, 2009 10:11 PM

Re: Wraps, Shawls, Pashminas, Whagt you You Pack?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruisinK n J
This time for the Cruise of the Century, I'm taking a cotton Ralph Lauren sweater that I got on sale, plus heaven knows what else! :) I haven't gotten that far yet! My DH accuses me of shopping for the whole year ahead of this cruise. What fun! :)

Judy

You sound very like me. I think I'm packing far too much and shopping too much too! LOL I'm even shopping for my mum, for crying out loud!

In terms of wraps etc, I have a kafkan for the beach and a couple of pareos (don't weight much and hardly take any space). For evening wear, I have a cashemere silvery colour pashmina that goes with all the evening dresses I'm taking (a black an invory/silvery cocktail dress and a teak colour which I'm teaming with silver accessories).

I haven't thought of a sweater but yes, good idea for over casual gear, or perhaps a light fleece. I just never thought that the Caribbean would get so cold but I expect it could get breeze at night.

pJames June 21st, 2009 06:52 AM

Here's a list of "What to Bring".
http://www.gummy-stuff.org/what-to-bring.htm
Alas, you'll need several suitcases and a small trunk.

It does, however, make you think.
http://www.gummy-stuff.org/smile-22.gif