CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tech Support - Help using our Message Boards (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tech-support-help-using-our-message-boards/)
-   -   Observation about the "Meet on Board" section (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tech-support-help-using-our-message-boards/379953-observation-about-meet-board-section.html)

itsmrbudman2u January 28th, 2011 12:01 PM

Observation about the "Meet on Board" section

I'm new around here, so I'm not trying to stir up anything, I just wanted to point out something I've noticed. I found CM while searching for ways to meet people on board when I plan on cruising. Seeing the traffic on this board, I registerd and made a post in that section. I've since come to really enjoy the site, and the people that post here. Post normally get witty, helpfull, and interesting responces. With the way the board is formatted, I think that the "Meet on Board" section get often skipped over. Just look, not only at the number of replies, but the number of views. Maybe formating that section just like the others would make posts more viewable. Just my $.02.

Donna January 28th, 2011 12:27 PM

WE do find that a lot of posters will put their roll calls on the regular cruiseline boards, and we, as monitors move them to the respective "meet on board" folder. It has alsways been an area that is overlooked, I wish cruisers would use it more and be able to meet their fellow cruisemates before their cruise....I'm not sure of any other way to have that set up? It really is a useful tool for pre-cruising, along with the regular message boards...

Do you have a cruise comming up soon, or just looking?

itsmrbudman2u January 28th, 2011 12:32 PM

I'm sailing RC Navigator of the Seas Feb 17th. I can't wait!! :-D

itsmrbudman2u January 28th, 2011 12:33 PM

I think just formatting it just like the other sections would increase visability and usage. It looks like some kind of footer instead on a new section the way it's set up now.

itsmrbudman2u January 28th, 2011 12:40 PM

Looking at it again, I can see why it's set that way. It's like a section director and sends you to a kind of sub section with the lists of all the ships. It's a good thought process, but I think it makes that section often skipped over or missed entirely by visitors. I think maybe just setting it by cruise lines and not by ship is enough. Posters can put the name of the ship in the thread title.

ruthlessboss January 28th, 2011 05:56 PM

I agree it's kind of a lost area. I just checked my posting for Carnival Sensation in Nov. for a Dec. cruise. I'm the only one on the ship. In the year 2010, only 3 posts total. This ship leaves twice a week.

Snoozeman January 28th, 2011 07:01 PM

A few threads are very active, but that seems to be the exception. It's actually an improvement to what we used to have. I too wish it was used more.

Donna January 31st, 2011 08:25 AM

Is it possible, because they are at the end of the regular message boards that posters miss them? I wonder if there could be a totally separate board? Just a thought to make them more visible?

Mike M January 31st, 2011 09:03 AM

Donna,

I don't understand what you mean by a "totally separate board". All of the boards must come off the main board.

Creating a "new Vb" board would require a separate URL and that would make it even more obscure.

With the boards "collapsed" on the main forum page makes it easier for users to find it without having to scroll down so far.

Personally I would love to see the board listings in horizontal format instead of vertical but that is not possible with our "style" program.

It is better than it used to be and actually very similar to "another board's" format.

Take care,
Mike

Donna January 31st, 2011 10:00 AM

Hi Mike,
I don't mean totally serarate, but not at the end of the boards, I bet some people don't even know they are there? I have no idea, but they are great to have, just not being used well.

Lakers Fan January 31st, 2011 02:53 PM

I met 51 people on my Meet and Greet on my last cruise who are registered with CM but only lurk .I did my best to try to get them to post but I doubt that any have .

itsmrbudman2u January 31st, 2011 05:42 PM

What do you guys and gals think about having that section apear just like the other sections, and eliminating the sub-section by ship? I think it's redundant, and it doesn't really make posting and finding posts any eaiser.

Paul Motter February 1st, 2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmrbudman2u (Post 1348322)
What do you guys and gals think about having that section apear just like the other sections, and eliminating the sub-section by ship? I think it's redundant, and it doesn't really make posting and finding posts any eaiser.

I think we used to have it that way.

The problem is that it makes it too hard for people to find cruises on THEIR ship. If we could get people to always format the subject line with the name of the ship and sail date it would work, but we have found we have no way to control the way people format their own posts.

So people just write "Carnival in February" while some others write "Oct 23rd - sailing solo" in their subject lines.

At least separating by ship narrows it down enough that people can browse through without encountering too many posts.

We used to have a GREAT format outside the message boards where people could select their exact ship and sail date - but it has gone by the wayside because no one used it. That is history now.

Thank you for your input. If there was an easy fix we would do it and we always welcome suggestions.

By the way - we do have a working search function where you can select your ship in Meet on Board and search by different terms.

itsmrbudman2u February 1st, 2011 05:58 PM

I can see the difficulties in formating it the other way. I just thought I'd point it out. Maybe someone else has some better ideas, because as it is now, it's a wasted section.

lorsin August 18th, 2013 09:58 PM

I love cruisemates, but it has taken me months to find my way around, not very techno with computers, but did find the roll call very hard to find, still not sure I have, as only 1 reply to what I have posted, but I will keep on trying before I sail Serenade 4th Sept 2013. Lorsin.

Queen of Oakville August 19th, 2013 12:08 PM

I totally agree - thank you for posting this.

I've been on 4 or 5 cruises since I found Cruisemates, and have yet to do a CM cruisemeet.

I do all my cruise meets through another board. I signed there for my Oasis sailing in October, and just haven't meshed with that group at all (first time ever).

Wished there was a meet planned here, but sadly there isn't. I haven't bothered to set one up either. I always check to see if a meet is planned for my sailing, but there is very little activity there, maybe the boards are hidden, or maybe CM just doesn't do enough to push that aspect of this site?

although I signed up for my oasis cruise meet elsewhere, I probably won't even bother going.

love, love, love Cruisemates, but the social aspect of this site could be better.

I think the meet&greet boards should be improved or abandoned altogether. Personally, I'm a fan of cruisemeets which are done on Facebook, but they have to originate somewhere. The other board does not allow you to publicize a facebook group (I understand why). Maybe if we could do that here, it might make the meet&greets more successful. Maybe make a rule, that the Facebook group has to be called "Cruisemates Meet&Mingle - Oasis of the Seas - Date" (for example). This would help drive traffic and participation. Just a suggestion. THen you can advertise your facebook meet&greet here, but only if it is called a Cruisemates meet?

Paul Motter August 19th, 2013 12:33 PM

IRONIC...

YOU WISH SOMEONE WOULD SET UP A MEET & GREET HERE... BUT YOU DON'T BOTHER TO START ONE YOURSELF.

That is the whole point - to start one so people know you are going to be there.

BTW: I just changed those boards so you have to be registered to see them. The reason I feel many people have NOT registered and posted there is because they have seen there are few posts, but I hope that IF people register first to read them that they will feel it is easier to go ahead and leave a meet & greet post.

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR CRUISE IN MEET ON BOARD - WE NEED TO GET IT GOING.

Queen of Oakville August 19th, 2013 12:52 PM

lol, I know.

But I booked late and the cruise is a few weeks away, so I figure if no one has started it yet, there probably are not a lot of cruisemates looking to meet up on this sailing : )

That's my defense and i'm sticking to it.

So you need a separate login for the cruise meet section?

lorsin August 19th, 2013 07:30 PM

Again, non tech person here, how do I register and post to the site? have been trying to do this, as I have tours booked and need people to join, or need to cancel by 30th August, Serenade 4th Sept out of Barcelona.

lorsin August 19th, 2013 07:36 PM

Actually, just realised I did get into Meet on board site, is that also roll call? comfused, but will enjoy my cruise with or without planned tours as that is my mind set, without tours, we will probably see more of the everyday side of the country, which we really enjoy.