Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Wayne
Default Ocean liners experience...

Has anyone here been on the QE2 or any oceanliners? What was your experience like?
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2003, 08:09 AM
Paul Sweeney

Default Re: Ocean liners experience...

Dear Wayne
I have travelled aboard the QE2 many times and have been am looking forward to going aboard the QM2 for her Sea Trials off Arran, UK in late November. I feel very privaleged to be able to experience these unique and glorious Liners. Generations of my family have been responsible for the design of most of Cunards' and many Clydebuilt ships, my Great Grandfather designed the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth, my Grandfather designed the QE2 and Caronia (including her famous smokestack) and my father designed the QM2 and has designed all of P&O's current fleet. I feels very spectacular to tavel on these ships that my family contributed to. Even going to the Massive Shipyards on the Clyde, Cathedrals to Maritime Heritage is somewhat spiritual. The QE2 may be showing her age but is still a magnificent ship and from what I have seen of the QM2 is astounding!
Old November 2nd, 2003, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanPolulak

I forgot... What shipyard was the OM2 built at again?

RIP- Cruisemates Teen Host
Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:22 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Ocean liners experience...

Dan, Chantiers de l'Atlantique....translation: Shipbuilders of the Atlantic. Paul, how old are you. It must be fascinating to be part of the Cunard heritage!
Old November 3rd, 2003, 08:07 AM
Paul Sweeney

Default Re: Re: Re: Ocean liners experience...

Wayne, I am Fourteen years old and it is amazing, I feel very lucky and privaleged to be part of all this Heritage.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 05:35 PM
Wayne y

Paul, are you going to be a Cunard designer as well? :-) I love the way Cunard ships look and I even have my own Cunard designs!
Old November 5th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Paul Sweeney

Dear Wayne
It is something I would love to do of course and growing up with the history is very special to me. I have quite some knowledge about naval architecture and particularly Cunard design methods. My family has always worked with Clyde Shipyards not Cunard itself although all new Cunard ships except the new Queen Victoria which had been intended for the Holland America Line have been designed by Clyde Yards, even though the QM2 is being built abroad. My family has been responsible for their design as almost all of the worlds Naval and Merchant fleet is designed by the world renound BAe Clyde Maritime Design Institute (Formerly John Browns). My father alone has designed over 230 vessels ranging from Luxury Liners to Super Carriers for the Royal Navy. Perhaps you could send me your drawings of your Cunard drawings and I will ask my Grandfather what he thinks of them as my father has been in St. Naziere for the last 6 months.

Regards Paul Sweeney
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Ocean liners experience...

Paul, are you trying to say that QM2 was design by Clyde Shipyards? I thought the design was done by Cunard's in-house designer Stephen Payne? I will send the stuff later...
Old November 7th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Paul Sweeney

Default Re: Re: Re: Ocean liners experience...

Dear Wayne
The QM2 was designed and constucted by a sizeable consortium of contractors. Clyde Marine Engineering and Design Institute (CLYDEPORT) was responsible for the drafting of the Superstructure, Hull and on-board engineering equipment wheras ALSTOM was responsible for the construction and assembly of the prefabricated modules. Stephen Payne is Cunards' legal design representative who oversees all aspects of the design and constuction as it is done by various companies. He basically devises the basic design perameters such as capacity, cost, maximum size and budget restraints and the basic look of the ship. All shipping lines have reresentatives involved when a new ship is being built as it is such a large investment for the company. For example when the QE2 went on her trials it was discovered that there were vast problems with the steam turbines and it was the decision of the then Cunard design representative to refuse the vessel until the various problems were resolved, the same also happened on the R.M.S. Lusitania which my Great Grandfather designed. The ship was designed as a potential Cruiser in the event of a war and as a result was fitted with quadriple screw propellors and a unusually large rudder which when it came to trials caused massive vibration in the Second Class areas and required large scale redesign, stiffening and bracing of the Second Class Public Rooms as requested by the Cunard design representative. Cunard has a binding contract with Clydeport, (then CNT John Brown's) signed prior to the constuction of the Queens in the 30's to ensure employment on the Clyde during the then depression which requires that either Design or Construction must be carried out by the Company. That is why the design was carried out on the Clyde and by my father.