Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to cruiseeeeaddict
Default First time cruiser, through the eyes of the experienced.

Maybe it's just me, but if anyone finds this as funny, shocking, or completely confusing as I do, here's a good laugh for today.

My boyfriend left yesterday for his 2nd cruise, but his family's first.
He's 16, his brother is 12, and his mom & boyfriend are about 40.
My boyfriend went with me & absolutely loved everything about it.
However, his family doesn't know what they're in for.

They're going on Carnival Liberty. 7 nights. Eastern Caribbean.
Sounds great, right? Well, not so much.
Here's some info on the family (not including my boyfriend).
-They all hate the sun, the beach, and anything to do with it.
-They're not active at all, so adventurous excursions are out of the question too.
-The parents barely drink, don't like to party or stay out late, and don't like other party people. & It's part of college spring break...
-However, they booked this week to avoid kids. Make any sense?
-Have I mentioned they all hate each other & are in an inside cabin for 7days?
-The parents booked this so they could escape the kids, but could bring them along and not feel guilty; but neither of the kids wanted to go.
Waste of money much ?

They got to Florida yesterday, stayed in Ft. Lauderdale, and are cruising out of Miami today. So far they just went to the Hard Rock in Ft. Lauderdale, and hung out at their hotel near the airport and did nothing. They just arrived at the port a little while ago & are all just kinda blah. None of the family said a word when they first saw the ships. I remember the first time I saw one and was like "OHMYGOD THAT THINGS HUGE!!! OMG OMG OMG". But no, no reaction at all. How can you have no reaction to seeing a cruise ship for the first time

Now, I'm the kind of person that believes there's no such this as a bad cruise, but this just sounds like a recipe for disaster!
I'll keep this updated when & if I hear from him during the week.

Past Cruises
Navigator of the Seas - 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010
Mariner of the Seas - 2007
Liberty of the Seas - 2008
Carnival Liberty - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 B2B
Carnival Miracle - April & June 2011
Carnival Dream - 2011, 2012
Carnival Glory - June & September 2012
Carnival Imagination - 2013
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to mmerali Send a message via Skype™ to mmerali

I'm intrigued to be blunt.

I can understand the no partying deal and can related to it quite well (my parents are like that), but they don't mind cruising on spring break on my request because I feel they enjoy having some of the time to themselves, and furthermore they know I am happy, so they sacrifice.

In terms of activities, the Eastern Caribbean is a very passive itinerary. You can go and not go or do a single physical thing. If you want to shop or quite simply go for the sights, you go Eastern. Western is a lot more physical (from Dunn's River in Jamaica to Stingray City in Grand Cayman to Kayaking or Jetskiing in Mexico. Eastern Caribbean is probably the best choice for them if they aren't beach-goers.

As for the kids, if they didn't want to go, why were they dragged along? Mom and Dad could have had a great time cruising solo (and probably would not have had to deal with the whining).

What I further don't understand is why this week? We're in the middle of spring break season? And additionally, the cabins were so dirt cheap why not splurge a little on a Balcony? I mean for less than $2500.00 for the foursome, they could have been fairly comfortable.

I will make a note that Carnival Liberty is really not a ship to be shocked to see, first time or not. By nowadays standards, she's pretty average sized, and a cruise isn't exactly the luxury hushed up vacation it once was. While I agree, I would marvel at any ship, not everyone is a cruising addicted freak like myself.

I'll also note that South Florida really is not for non-partiers on spring break season. Quite simply put, it's just not, and traveling does take quite a toll on you, so if I were in their shoes, I probably would have done the same thing and just hung out by the hotel.

I'm going to go ahead and say its not a total disaster, though I remain curious about how it plays out. Keep us posted.
CCL:
Carnivale (2/11/93)
Ecstasy (9/5/94)
Fantasy (2/20/00)
Fascination (8/26/00) (2/18/02)
Conquest (2/20/05)
Inspiration (8/18/07)
Liberty (3/15/08.)
Dream (3/3/12)
Sensation (8/19/12)
NCL:
Sea (2/22/03)
PCL:
Golden (2/14/04)
Caribbean (8/20/05)
Crown (3/5/11)
RCI:
Voyager (8/25/02)
Navigator (8/28/04)
Adventure (8/27/06)
Freedom (3/7/10)
Future
Carnival Pride (12/16/12)
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerali View Post
As for the kids, if they didn't want to go, why were they dragged along? Mom and Dad could have had a great time cruising solo (and probably would not have had to deal with the whining).

I'm going to go ahead and say its not a total disaster, though I remain curious about how it plays out. Keep us posted.

That's the main thing I don't understand. Why drag along two kids that would much rather spend the week at home. They have plenty of family members & family friends that they could have stayed with, and I'm sure it would have saved the parents at least a couple hundred dollars and relieved a lot of stress on both parts.

The only two other ships in Miami today were NCL Pearl & a Princess Ship. I was fascinated by the exterior painting of the NCL ships the first time I saw one, so I can't imagine someone that's never seen more than a 40ft boat in person not making at least a "wow, that's kinda cool" comment. They'll be in St. Thomas with Oasis, so maybe that'll intrigue them a little bit.

I spoke with my boyfriend as the ship was sailing away & he managed to escape his family and is trying to make at least some fun out of it since he's there. So thankfully it's not turning out to be as big of a disaster as it seemed yesterday and this morning. I'm really curious to see what they all have to say when they get back. First time cruises always seem to amuse & interest me to hear what they think of the experience.

Past Cruises
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Admiral

So, the cruise didn't turn into a total disaster. My boyfriend managed to find a few kids his age to hang around with and avoid his family most of the week. He said there were mostly "old people", meaning 30+, which I'm sure relieved his parents when they saw they weren't on a floating college party with no escape. They seemed to enjoy the islands okay and make a good time out of it. No idea if they'd do it again, but at least they all managed not to kill each other.

The only thing I don't agree with is in San Juan the parents did the Bacardi tour while they left the younger one on the ship sleeping & my boyfriend managed to get off the ship alone and wander around. Isn't it policy that minors can't board/disembark the ship without a parent or guardian? If god forbid something happened to the parents, or either of the kids, they'd have a hard time contacting each other.

Past Cruises
Old May 30th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseeeeaddict View Post

The only thing I don't agree with is in San Juan the parents did the Bacardi tour while they left the younger one on the ship sleeping & my boyfriend managed to get off the ship alone and wander around. Isn't it policy that minors can't board/disembark the ship without a parent or guardian? If god forbid something happened to the parents, or either of the kids, they'd have a hard time contacting each other.
I have to agree its a little strange how kids can get away with leaving the ship on their own. Its funny, when I was 13 or 14 I went off the Norwegian dawn in Nassau around midnight, all by myself to take some pictures of the ship. I walked up to the guards all by myself, handed them my card, and all they said is make sure your back on time, the ships sailing at 2:30. I was back on in a half hour, and the pictures I took were some of the best night shots I have ever taken.

Even more strange is the fact that royal Caribbean actually let me off alone being just 16 not once, but twice. I remember waking up really late the day of our last stop, Antigua, to find my parents of course decided to kind of ditch me and go enjoy the beach. I was disappointed, especially since it was the last stop, so I decided to go off alone. They asked me how old I was, and I said my parents had just gone off and I was about to miss an excursion, so they let me go. I walked around, and even went to a beach for a while and had so much fun. The other time they let me off they didnt even ask any questions, it was in Dominica, not the best place to be alone in no matter how old you are.

Id say the bottom line is, the potential for a HUGE lawsuit lies on the cruise lines for not being more careful when letting minors off the ship and they better be a little more responsible when doing so. Its especially shocking that with all the rules RCL has against teens they dont even seem to care when letting one off to wander around the Caribbean alone.

Aug 2000 7 day Celebrity Horizon, Bermuda
Jul 2001 4 day Carnival Victory, Canada
Jul 2002 7 day NCL Sea, Bahamas
Jan 2004 11 day NCL Dawn, Caribbean
Apr 2005 7 day NCL Dawn, Bahamas/Florida
Apr 2006 9 day NCL Dawn, Caribbean
Apr 2007 12 day NCL Dawn, Caribbean
Jul 2007 8 day NCL Spirit, Bermuda/Caribbean
Mar 2008 7 day NCL Gem, Bahamas/Florida
Apr 2009 13 day RCL Explorer, Caribbean

Future Cruises:

Norwegian DAWN