Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2001, 08:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tip's

I don't belive in giving tips on land or at sea. The employer should be paying the wage not the customer. Do we tip other people that offer service, like doctors, nurses,mailcarrier. . . .Most wait staff, are there because it is an easy job to get.
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2001, 10:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Tip's

Amen to that! I get so sick & tired of tipping everybody under the sun. I realize waitresses and waiters work hard, but so do I and I have never, ever been tipped! I am an x-ray technologist and have gone in to the hospital for many years in the middle of the night to x-ray people in accidents, etc. I have never received a tip, or have I expected one.
A tip should always be voluntary (in my humble opinion).
Old January 18th, 2001, 10:16 PM
First Mate

Tina:

Unfortunately, the employer DOES NOT pay the wage and the employer expects the wait staff will make up the difference in the tips they recieve. I've always believed if a person can afford to go out to eat or take a cruise they can afford to leave a tip. Please leave a tip for the hard working wait staff that tries to make your dining more enjoyable. Being a waiter may not be an easy job to get on a ship. These people go through a lengthy process to get these positions. It may not only be a hard job to get but, it may also be a hard job to hold. Tell you what, go down to your local diner and see if you can get a part-time job waiting tables. See if you can get yourself scheduled during the lunch and dinner hours. I'll bet your views on tipping will change after the first day. Please, leave a tip.

John
Old January 18th, 2001, 10:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

John,
I have done this job and know what it is like. Getting under wages and paying Uncle Sam come April 15th. Most wait staff just put that smile on and give you a laugh ONLY for the tip. Just because I can afford to go out to eat and go on cruises, don't mean I can afford to help pay someone else's wages.
Old January 18th, 2001, 10:49 PM
First Mate

Okay, if I'm ever in an accident, I'll try to pull a ten dollar bill out of my wallet and hand it to the x-ray tech with my bloody broken hand to show my appreciation. Maybe we can get Blue Cross to cover this too. Not every occupation in this world get tips, nor should they. Waiters, waitresses, hair stylist, manicurists and many others perform tasks for which they should be tipped. Everyone should get at least a thank you in whatever job they do. Again, if you can't afford the tip, stay home and cook your own dinner.

John
Old January 18th, 2001, 11:10 PM
George & Jo

Tipping in our opinion is a personal decision based upon services received, not anticipated. Poor services gets little or no tips while good service gets a good tip. Excellent service brings even better tips. Tips are an incentive for the wait staff to be attentive to passenger needs and likes. The little things, like knowing what beverage you like with your dinner. With a different wait staff at every meal, you have a reactive rather than proactive staff serving you. Your assigned waiter would know when you want a second cup of coffee. With open style, you would have to ask for everything at every meal. Some of the wait staff we have seen at midnight buffets leave a lot to be desired.
The $9.75 seems high for dining staff. Usually $3.50 for waiter and $2 for busboy per day. Who gets the remaining $4.50? We don't tip the maitre de unless he does something special. Usually only come to the table once or twice during a cruise.Does the $9.75 include the cabin steward or if that an additional tip? Advance tip payments does not ensure quality service, but rather has the opposite effect. The wait staff gets their cut regardless of the quality service rendered. Don't think we will sail any ship that requires advance payment of tips. Just not good business, cruise lines. Who goes into a resturant and tips the waiter before ordering their meal!
Old January 19th, 2001, 05:50 AM
First Mate

George and jo:

I agree with you 100%. My only problem is with people who don't feel they need to leave any tip at all. Good service should get a good tip, poor service a poor tip. If it means getting good service, I want someone to bend over backward for me to get a ggod tip. Happy sailing!

John
Old January 19th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to James Send a message via Yahoo to James

It's annoying but has come to be a necessary evil. However this is another good reason not to patronize Carnival. I would guess that too many of the young folk who are on Carnival ignore the optional gratuity.
Old January 21st, 2001, 09:43 PM
anton

This is like Europe, your tip is included in the meal cost, whether you get good service or not. I vote with my pocketbook: avoid Canaveral Lines.
Old January 22nd, 2001, 01:11 PM
Tommie

I don't want to stay home and cook my own dinner. My husband and I have been on a couple of cruises. In our experience so far, the cabin steward and the waiter deserve a grand tip. The maitre de, and others do not show their face much until the end of the cruise hoping for a nice tip (the busboy does work hard also.) I will continue to tip according to service and I will tip as deserved, it will not be automatic if I can help it. Where is the incentive for a good job well done. (I have encountered rude cruise personnel.
Old January 22nd, 2001, 10:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

The $9.75 (on Carnival anyways) includes the tip for the cabin stewart. While we have always tipped the recommended amount plus additional to certain staff members who have made our trip memorable, I do not agree with automatic tipping.
Old January 23rd, 2001, 01:30 PM
sailinglisa

Tina - I sure as heck hope I never have to serve you. I could bend over backward, anticipate your needs, serve you with a smile and you would still stiff me. I guess It's people like you who have made the cruise lines go to this policy.
Old January 23rd, 2001, 10:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

sailinglisa,
I am not the one stiffing you. It is your employer, not paying you a good wage. Plus, you have to turn around and pay taxes on your tip money. Like I stated before, there are other service jobs that don't get or expect TIPS. Why are only certain groups' of people tipped? It's your job and you should give 100%, no matter what you are expecting in return.
Old January 23rd, 2001, 11:16 PM
sailinglisa

Tina - just so you know, I am a nurse and I am in the "service" industry. I give 100% no matter what (and no, I don't expect a tip!) But exceptional service deserves tipping; and you would not believe how well the crew remember people - they know who stiffs them and who tips well. And if they remember that you are a good tipper, they go above and beyond again to please and do whatever they can for you. Tipping is a REWARD for exceptional service - you know, above and beyond! BTW - these people do not pay taxes here in the USA. Maybe you should choose a cruise line where tipping is not allowed and is calculated into the cost of the cruise (and you can pay up the wazoo for it too!) Most of us will never be able to afford a cruise like that, so I pay cut bottom prices and tip the staff for exceptional service. This of course is just mho.
Old January 23rd, 2001, 11:22 PM
First Mate

sailinglisa:

Bravo!!! You Said it! Thank You.

John
Old January 24th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Passenger

Tina

No offense but if this is the way you feel, you should travel by car or bus.
If you do not like to tip then that is why there is McDonalds, Jack-In-The-Box, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Wendys for people your stature. If you are cheap, you should not attempt to participate in an element where you do not belong.
Tipping is expected when you are being waited on and how offensive to not do so. You should be ashamed.
Old February 19th, 2001, 12:51 PM
robert boucel

Well, I had some free time today and read about tipping. We have sailed on several cruiise lines. About two years ago I came up with an idea.When we ordered a drink while on deck or in a lounge, I put an American Gold dollar for the waitress, (waiter) It got excelent results in service. There was always some one who had been tipped by us that was over at our table quickly. I don"t like pre tipping either. I feel I should be the judge to who gets what. Yes, I know there are some people who don"t tip. If you can have the tips removed on board, what difference does it make to those who will not tip.
Old March 3rd, 2001, 11:18 AM
Passenger

Actually, I think the debate misses the essential point, which is, that the use or "requirement" of tipping depends on the agreement made for the services. Before anyone jumps and says there is no agreemnet on tipping, I want to point out that an agreement fro anything, be it services or otherwise, always included terms and understandings that customary in the industry. Those trems need not be spelled out in a contract, but they do have to be understood by thte parties. In a dispute, I can assure you that industry practices and understandings woiuld be quite relevant in resolving the dispute.

That is where the tipping issue is really at. Like it or not, the customary and well understood and accepted practice in the food industry (and some others) is that the published cost does not usually reflect the full cost of delivering the service. Instead, the consumer and the provider of time have accepted a practice that lets the price be fluid as a means of encouraging service. So if the waiter is poor, he earns less. In other industries this is not the case. If a nurse is poor in performance (forgetting malpractice) he or she still gets hte same wages. Whether that is a good idea or not, it reflects the customary understanding of how services are delivered or paid for in the repsective industries. Given this, in my view not tipping as a "matter of principle" is breach of the understanding made when the services was contracted or delivered. It ignores the reality that the document price was adjusted lower with the tacit understanding of everyone involved to reflect that service employees would be compensated as a separate payment.

Frankly, the pre-charged tipping is a way of getting away and changing this customary understanding and bringing this industry inline with the majority of industries. The logical outcome of pre-charged tipping is that the published price of the cruise will rise and a customer will have no leverage as to service except to change cruise lines and hope they hire more motivated employees. You avoid the inconvenience of separate tipping, but make no mistake the cost of the cruise will include the cost of tipping whether anyone likes it or not, becasue, one way or the other, employees have to be compensated for work. The existence of tipping is just an alternative to get to the traditional economic bottom line -- the total cost of delivering a cruise is independent of how that cost is recovered from consumers.
Old March 16th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Passenger

I have to add that I have been on several cruises and I always tip the Dining Room Staff.
I have read with interest the comments made by medical staff in this thread. They go to work, check their schedule of appointments, take designated breaktimes and clock out when its time to go home.
Cruise ship waiters are a different story. I have spoken to several staff on different lines and they all say the same thing. They are working on cruise ships for the money, nothing else. They are not there to "See the Islands".
They have to check in 30 minutes before breakfast, check their tables, serve the Guests, perhaps do a second seating, reset for lunch, and if the ship is in port there is no break for their own breakfast as tours for Guests leave early and lunch starts early. Lunch service finished, bed time for a sleep, then dinner service.
I have had the experience of seeing the biggest complainers give their waiters a really hard time. The stress of the "Comment Card" for the excellent rating is in the waiters mind. If he achieves a less than excellent rating, he looses his station, a smaller station next cruise, less money.
Yes the waiter does NOT pay taxes to the US government. Why should they???
Most cruise ships are only in US ports for embarkation/Disembarkation, and thats only ONE day per week. Most of the time is spent in either International waters or waters outside US jurdisdiction.
Waiters get a monthly salary from the cruise lines of $50. yes $50.
They sign contracts for six months, and in that contract their minimium weekly hours are 70 hours (Per WEEK).
The waiters I have met are hard working and are there in most cases to look after the families they have left at home in third world countries. Do they deserve a tip...I think so........
Old April 18th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I agree entirely! I was a secretary for years. In this job you are everyone's slave. And you certainly don't ever get a tip from anyone. But you are certainly expected to serve with a smile no matter what is asked of you. Which can be just about anything.

Lisa