CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   confused about tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/300053-confused-about-tipping.html)

readytogo May 20th, 2003 12:20 PM

confused about tipping

HELP!! I'm confused.... Carnival does mandatory tipping of about $10 per person per day. Does this cover everyone? If not, who else do you have to tip? If that is everyone, then $10 per day sounds pretty reasonable to me. But, if you still have to tip 5-10 other people, then it's not so great. Can anyone clarify for me? Thanks.

cap'nkruzer May 20th, 2003 01:03 PM

Re: confused about tipping

That covers all the ship personel that you should come in contact with. Bar tabs add 15% so the bartenders are also covered. Anything extra is YOUR option. Cabs, bus, porters, tour guides, etc...are at your discretion also.
SSaFWs..ED

readytogo May 21st, 2003 11:54 AM

Re: Re: confused about tipping

so, this "all in one" tip includes all dining staff, cabin stewards, waiters/waitresses and bartenders?

Cathalane May 21st, 2003 12:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: confused about tipping

the $10/day doesn't include bartenders, but everytime you order a drink, they add a tip to it. So basically you tip the bartender everytime you order from the bar.

Also I think you are supposed to tip for room service... Can anyone confirm that?

-cath

Lisa May 21st, 2003 01:04 PM

It is customary to tip the person who delivers your room service meals to you - $1 or $2 dollars.

Alaska Bound June 7th, 2003 07:25 PM

I've read thread after thread about auto tipping on last day tipping and who gets what and all about pooling tips.

My question is: I'll be on the Island Princess Aug 9 for 7 days and am using the Auto Tip system. It's our 20th Wedding Anniversary and I want a little extra from the Room Steward each day. If I tip him/her $20 or $30 the first day, will this money be pooled? I really want this money to stay with this person without getting him/her into trouble.

Alaska Bound

Set2cruz June 8th, 2003 01:06 PM

Re: Re: confused about tipping

Alaska Bound, Why not be upfront with the steward, ask him if he'll get to keep it. Even if he says yes that he'll get to keep it, and he really doesn't you will still get that "extra" service. After all isn't that what you want? I would also check with the cruiseline and see if they have an Anniversary package that you could buy. Oh, by the way, Happy Anniversary. :-)

Alaska Bound June 8th, 2003 01:42 PM

Thanks Mark. I got so wrapped up on how tipping is supped to work I didn't think of the obvious.

Alasjka Bound

Set2cruz June 15th, 2003 10:13 AM

Alaska Bound,
Your welcome. :-)