Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2004, 02:01 PM
jr

Default what if i dont tip?

i hate to say this.. i would never do it... but what if you dont hand out any tips at the end of the cruise? i think on the constellation its already taken care of automatically which i would prefer....
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Allan

Default Re: what if i dont tip?

No, the Celebrity ships still use the tip envelopes.
Old January 16th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Nothing would probably happen...except that bad karma that would follow you around....

dorothy
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:31 AM
US marine Corps.

I refuse to tip people whom are paid to do their jobs! ........ I have done this for the past 23yrs. and that's why I have been able to retire at 49 instead of 65 (and almost dead).
Old February 27th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: what if i dont tip?

Gee, I don't feel almost dead!
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Beginner

Most tipped employees don't even make minimum wage. They depend on these tips for part of their salary.

Old February 28th, 2004, 08:27 AM
SLS

USMC,

I've always tipped and was able to retire at 43.

sls, USN(ret)
Old February 29th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Yeoman

semper fi

those this mean that you dont tip the wait staff in stateside restaurants --------- you stiff everyone as a matter of principle???????????????/

Old March 3rd, 2004, 07:10 PM
glormich

I come from a country where tipping is not customary only for excelent service and sometimes when traveling particuarly in the US you sometimes just forget it and then feel guilty for having forgotten, I realise that you must budget for tipping but sometimes it's a pain when you are not use to it.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:36 PM
Passenger

I waitress for several years and counted on tips for income. When customers from another country visited our establishment and left no tip, the server work several hours for nothing. This happens often in hotel restaurants. . Therefore, I always tip
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

This is the subject which will never die!!!!!

There's a firm batallion of tippers who believe that you should tip every person in a service position. Hang on. What about cabs/taxis? They charge a fare which is set by the local authority. But we still tip them. Hairdressers also get tips - and some of them earn a fortune.

And at the other end of the scale you (really do!!!) get people working for an absolute pittance on cruise ships and they rely on every $.

All seems most unfair to me.

Pete
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Asealady

Do you tip the owner in a salon or barber shop for giving you a hair cut?
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Re. 'Do you tip the owner in a salon or barber shop for giving you a hair cut?'

Yes. I've done that most of the time (even though I've heard that you needn't). Also, as well as tipping the person who cut my hair, I tip the person who washed it and the person who brought the coffee and the person who swept up.

Where do I draw the line?

Pete
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Asealady

I just tip the people who work on my hair. Not the owner.
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Me2

I'm so upset that I learned of the "don't tip the owner of a salon" rule so late. I just paid 200.00 bucks to get my hair done and than tipped on top of that and it was the owner.....boy I could have used that tip for my cruise instead....
Old March 7th, 2004, 10:58 PM
DebC

I've heard that "don't tip the salon owner" thing too, but I ignore it and tip anyway. Now maybe this is because the same woman has been doing my hair since she worked in her mother's salon and now she owns her own salon. It would feel weird not to tip her after using her services for years, although I only tip 10% (her rates are really high), not 15%.

DebC
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:07 PM
pg,

Well golly 200 dollars for a hair do, are you nuts!!??? Or do you live in California!

Trust me , haridressers who charge normal rates DO NOT make a fortune, plus they get NO medical or dental or pension plan!!!!
Remember when you pay your hairdresser its not her money, she/he earns a commision on that money , anywhere from 35 to 55 %. The salon owner obvouisly does much better, but as I pointed out there is no safety net for them.
Some hairdressers just " rent " a chair in a salon, then they pay for all the solutions etc on top of that. Hairdressers have to be booked solid and work on their feet all day to make decent money, and forget lunch breaks and coffee breaks that all the office and government workers get( plus their juicey benefits)
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:10 PM
pg,

Default Re: Re: what if i dont tip?

Oh yeah the girl who sweeps the flooor and gives you a shampoo makes minimum wage. Period. You are not required to tip her of course, but if she does a great job( and how many of us love a good rub when we get a shampoo) then throwing her a buck ain't gonna kill you, plus if you are a regular she will remeber you and give you a great shampee the next time too!
Old March 12th, 2004, 11:00 AM
jamiegunter

Please tip your hairstylist I am one and the tips are part of your income.
You are recieving a service, and if she or he does a good job tip them.
I do booth rental, and I still get tips even though I am self employed.
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Beginner

Well..........I'm a nurse in an ER and NOBODY tips me !!!!!!!!!!!!!! So much for your service industry !!! AND, nurses don't make what they deserve in the first place.

Cold, cruel world!!!
Old April 9th, 2004, 11:47 AM
cantw82cruz

I find it interesting how it is a must to tip people in some jobs and not others in jobs that pay a similar wage. For instance gas station attendants make around $6/hr and waiters/waitresses make at least that, yet the pump jockey is seldom tipped whereas you must tip your server because they can't possibly live on what they are earning. A person working in a retail clothing outlet makes $7 or $8/hr and could conceivably spend an hour fetching you different styles/sizes to try on yet nobody tips her and it's not expected.
I know people that work as waiters and waitresses and with their tips, they end up making a pretty good hourly wage for a profession that did not require years of college or university plus the vast $ invested in education. Good for them but the endless guilt trip about them suffering if not tipped properly is annoying when people seem to be unconcerned about others in service positions earning the same wage or less and no tips! I have to agree with the nurse that posted above, now if that isn't a service industry I don't know what is!
Old April 11th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Admiral

I beg to differ waiters and waiteress make $2.15 an hour. They Rely on their tips to live on. I know I am one who does.
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Admiral

tipping wouldn't be such a big issue if the cruise lines would pay them
a decent salary. it not right that the cruise personnal have to depend on the passengers to pay there salary
Old April 11th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

earl, if so then they wouldn't be tipped even for good service unless people have an urge to do so.
Then comes the BIGGER implication!
YOU, THE CONSUMER, would have to PAY MORE UP-FRONT!

And in any case, if you don't tip on the ship, that's why they installed that keelhauling hatch just by the propeller shaft....

Post Edited (04-21-04 16:12)
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:15 AM
cantw82cruz

Maybe things are different here in Canada but waiters and waitresses do make a minimum of $7/hour.
Old April 16th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Sandy Field

I owned a restaurant in NY and if my waitresses did not come up to minimum wage by the end of the night I had to pay them the difference. It is against the law to not pay them atleast minimum wage. You can pay them 2.50 per hour but if they only made 10 dollars in tips that night you had to make up the difference.
Old April 18th, 2004, 10:45 PM
DebC

Many years ago when I was a waitress, we were told "unofficially" that we BETTER report at least minimum wage, even when we didn't make it in tips, so the company wouldn't have to pay anything extra to make up the difference. We were told that if we weren't able to make that much in tips ourselves, it must mean we were lousy waitresses and we would be fired. Subtle, huh?

That really sucked, especially when I worked a day shift and got stuck waiting on the little old ladies salad-only table, who would invariably undertip or stiff the wait staff entirely. At times I would take in less money on a day shift than I had to pay out to a sitter for child care of my daughter. To add insult to injury, I feared to report the real number of my tips because the management had made it clear that if we didn't report enough to equal minimum wage, we'd be fired.

Boy, I don't miss that line of work...

DebC
Old April 19th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Admiral

By the same token, if you make more than minimum wage most waiters/waitresses won't report that extra either.

So on one day shift you make less than minimum wage but on a good weekend night you make much more.

If you average it out for the week, and still make less than minimum wage then you have a problem, either poor service or lousy tipping customers.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to MikesMom

Wow I am in shock about this subject. I can't believe there are people who actually don't tip. I bet you don't eat in the same restaurant twice lol I hate to see what they do to your food. Or I bet you don't get your haircut in the same place twice...oops scissor slipped lol

CCL FASCINATION 1/04
CCL MIRACLE 6/04
Old April 26th, 2004, 08:22 AM
DebC

Thomas, your statement about it balancing out by the end of a week only would hold true for a waiter/waitress who was given that sort of schedule. In many restaurants there is a hierarchy you have to work up to, and only the best/most senior/favored staff get the prime weekend nights and prime stations where the big tips are. Newer staff or less experienced staff get stuck with primarily day shifts or the smaller, less desirable table sections. In fact, the people working the weekend nights are not usually even asked to work the less attractive lunch shifts.

My oldest daughter is currently a waitress full time while she attends college full time. She is very well-liked by the management, and does a great job, so she gets the plum sections, best hours, weekends, etc. Good for her. But she sees lots of the other staff struggle with the lousy shifts and lower revenue days, and feels bad that some of her friends barely make enough to get by and are never assigned to the prime shifts.

And please, no one start in with the capitalistic stuff about hard-working people get rewarded and lazy people don't. The ones who are struggling are still good waiters and waitresses (such as I was in my day) and they are working hard - they should at least make minimum wage every day that they work and not be pressured into lying about how much they are getting tipped.

DebC