CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   Tipping on RCCL (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/300190-tipping-rccl.html)

gerawlynd August 13th, 2004 12:02 PM

Tipping on RCCL

We have cruised on Norwegian before and I loved the idea that the tips were just added to your account. Can someone tell me if Royal Caribbean has that option. We are cruising in October on the AOS and I was just wondering..Thanks
kitty

bicker August 13th, 2004 02:07 PM

Re: Tipping on RCCL

They do indeed.

Elliott December 15th, 2004 01:39 PM

But do you have the option of paying on your own also? I hope it is not just added automatically.

Donna December 15th, 2004 01:51 PM

If you want to set up any automatic tipping, you need to arrange that, otherwise you would tip in cash yourself.

OLD MAN December 15th, 2004 02:21 PM

I too like the idea that tips are added to your account automatically.. It saves time and there are no envelops or cash to deal with.. Also I don't have the need to give them the cash personally when I know that all of the cash and "auto tips" are pooled together for distribution among the crew.. The person that receives the cash has to turn it in to be pooled with everyones tips that they all receive..OM..

carol December 17th, 2004 04:51 PM

Re: Re: Tipping on RCCL

I never set up automatic tipping, it was just charged to my acct.

Carol

hcat January 15th, 2005 06:37 PM

What if the food is really bad (as we have been hearing) & you do alt dining, eat at Seaview Cafe & Windjammer & in ports & only go to the DR once or twice...should you still tip the rec. amt--seems your waiter will lose out if you don't tip but if food is bad & nothing to be served, why pay? Not sure what to do in this instance....

bicker January 16th, 2005 06:24 PM

The quality of the food isn't really a reflection on service staff anyway.

With regard to tipping, the rule of thumb is that if you patronize the dining room, then you should cover the expected gratuities. There are different opinions about that if you don't ever use the dining room, but regardless, there is still the cost-of-service to account for. If you eat dinners at the Windjammer, you can either drop a two or three dollars per person on the table each night, or just rely on the standard gratuity being split between both dining room servers and Windjammer servers. (If you pay close attention, you'll note that the service staff all serve in the Windjammer some of the time.)

carol January 16th, 2005 06:49 PM

I have been on many cruises, but have never heard of anyone leaving $$ on a table for the server. Guess there are always a few people who have to do things differently than the rest of us.

Carol

bicker January 16th, 2005 07:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Tipping on RCCL

The Windjammer is the buffet on RCI ships, not the dining room, Carol.

Merg55 January 26th, 2005 08:29 PM

What is the daily rate per person for the cabin steward on RCCL?

Donna January 26th, 2005 08:42 PM

Merg,
Its $3.50 per day, per person, same for the dining room waiter.

Koshka February 13th, 2005 07:47 PM

Just back from RCCL Voyager.

You can do automatic tipping - will need to fill out the form and drop it by guest relations desk. Form will be put in your cabin somewhere around 4th day. If you do this, you will get vouchers that u sign and give to your waiter, etc.

Koshka February 13th, 2005 08:07 PM

Just back from RCCL Voyager.

You can do automatic tipping - will need to fill out the form and drop it by guest relations desk. Form will be put in your cabin somewhere around 4th day. If you do this, you will get vouchers that u sign and give to your waiter, etc.

Davide May 12th, 2005 01:27 PM

Do you find that the level of service is better if you are putting cash in the server's hands, or do they work just as hard if they know that you are pre-paying tips?

OLD MAN June 5th, 2005 05:48 PM

Just back from a RCCL cruise. It does not make any difference.. Cash or pre-paid voucher is still money in their pockets and you get the same service.. Maybe good and maybe bad.. OM