CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   how do waiters know if you remove tipping from account (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/300208-how-do-waiters-know-if-you-remove-tipping-account.html)

MikeMaria October 13th, 2004 10:32 AM

how do waiters know if you remove tipping from account

Hi - I have been reading all the posts on this, and it seems that if I immediately remove the automatic tip from my shipboard account and then tip personally for excellent service, that the persons I tip must turn in that money. How do those people you tip know that you removed the automatic tip from your account? Is the official word sent out from the main office? I will going on HAL.

I would like to tip personally, but I would feel uncomfortable if people were saying things behind my back or providing bad service because they thought that I wouldn't be tipping!

Perhaps it is better to wait until the last day and brave the long lines so as not to worry about this?

lougee1043 October 13th, 2004 01:36 PM

Re: how do waiters know if you remove tipping from account

first they would not know if you removed the auto tipping --- and i do believe the cash turn in rule varies from ship to ship --might want to post the name of the cruise line you are referring to

OLD MAN October 13th, 2004 03:24 PM

The front office tells them.. So don't remove the auto tip.. Pay your $10 per day charge.. Don't tip extra.. Buy BINGO cards with the money and don't worry about it and enjoy your cruise..OM

pg October 14th, 2004 12:55 AM

I agree the front office does indeed release the cabin no. of those who remove the tip. As for removing the tip, they will have to turn in the required amount,, any extra ( above their portion, say 3:50 pp for the waiter) they can keep.
I agree with OM, just leave the auto tip on and personally hand out any extras in cash yourself. If service is poor, then wait till last day and have them( tips) adjusted, be sure to mention who you are specifically unhappy with( restaurant stafff or cabin staff) .

Never had bad service myself, course I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and do realize staff are humans and have bad days just like we do. I would never remove a tip for one instance of poor serivice.

JaneMarlow October 14th, 2004 02:29 PM

Princess asks your room # when you show up for dining...and all your information is on your folio, I would imagine.

I wouldn't think you would be treated better or worse, considering the staff is always so helpful and friendly regardless.

We just left the tip amount on, and gave the room steward an extra twenty.

Dorothy October 17th, 2004 08:48 AM

I've always wondered why people wouldn't just leave the amount on UNTIL they decided it was too much (or too little).

I suppose if you know you want to tip in cash, then remove the amount, but if not, give them a chance to earn your automatic tip. If they don't, remove it or adjust it at the end of your cruise.

dorothy