Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Beginner

Default NCL Tipping Question

We are about to take our first NCL cruise (on the Jewel in March) and reserved a penthouse suite because we are taking our 2 daughters (3 and 8) with us and were looking for more room. The Penthouse has a separate kid's bedroom (pretty small but it is a separate room) in addition to the living/dining area and master bedroom so this should fit our needs just fine. My question is about tips for the butler and concierge that come with the room. I'm assuming the $10/day/person ($5 for kids) covers the food service staff and the room attendant so you don't have to slip them the envelopes like we did our our last 2 cruises (RC and Celebrity 4-5 years ago). However, the instructions say to basically tip the butler and concierge based on usage. I'm curious if anyone else has stayed in an NCL suite or mini-suite and, if so, what kind of tip did you leave these people. I doubt we will use the concierge except possibly to change a dinner reservation as we are pretty independent and will have our restaurant selections, spa treatments, etc reserved well before we sail. The butler is a different story in that in addition to the daily routine serve I plan to have breakfast delivered every day and we will also use the ships laundry services a few time and I'll coordinate this with him.

On a related note, do you tip the people working in the kids program or is this considered part of the overall services provided as part of the ship. In the past we didn’t and there was no indication that tips were expected or a mechanism to easily make a tip (envelopes, tip boxes, etc) but I want to see what other people have done.

Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:04 PM
First Mate

The NCL cruise directors have always told us there is no required tipping...all the staff have been accomidated, unless you get exceptional service where you feel a tip is in order.

We've never booked a suite. I can tell you though on our 8day cruise we tipped our stewart $50. for the kids crew we tipped at the end I think $50. The girl said it gets divided among them. We kind of wished we tipped the girls individually. You can do which ever.

Also on the jewel my husband and I only tipped the waitstaff in the pay restraunts. But this last cruise on the sun with my friends, the waiters in the main nonpay restraunts were so go that we slipped them a cash tip at the end of each meal. They really were greatful!
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockAl
However, the instructions say to basically tip the butler and concierge based on usage. I'm curious if anyone else has stayed in an NCL suite or mini-suite and, if so, what kind of tip did you leave these people.
I'm curious about this, too. How much do you tip the butler and concierge on a 7 day cruise if you use them for a full breakfast, tender tickets, room service from the dining room? Is this in addition to the $10.00 pp/pd? Do you still have a room steward or does the butler do the room steward's duties?

I'd like to see an actual amount, not "tip what you want "! $50.00? $100.00?

Thanks,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014