Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2000, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Those precious loung chairs

Really didn't want to bring this subject up again, but it is one of my major gripes.
I too love to get out on those nice sunny "sea" days and it really iritates me to no end when I can't find just 1 chair somewhat close to the pool. All I see are rows of chairs with various objects on them, (saving them), while its owners eat, or what ever it is they do while those chairs just sit there when people really could be using them Ok, I feel better now :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2000, 10:18 PM
Voyagerfl

Default RE: Those precious loung chairs

If a chair is empty for 15 minutes I would have no problem claiming it....
Of course half the time they leave one person to guard several chairs for long periods of time..So that makes it kind of difficult...
And just like saving seats in the Show Lounge......the cruise employees usually refuse to get involved..
Old August 20th, 2000, 10:10 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/arline/sampics/5xcrowdedsunbathers.jpg>
Old August 20th, 2000, 10:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Old August 20th, 2000, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Funny Paul... I remember sitting in that exact location on the Triumph, but I don't remember wearing green <G>

Now u have to tell us... How did u get the picture into the body of the post???

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old August 20th, 2000, 03:52 PM
voyagerfl

Is that really a picture from one of the big ships............??
It looks like rows of teired deck area ???
It only reinforces my feelings I would hate one of those Huge ships?
Even Carnival's Fantasy class ships are a little large to me................
Old August 20th, 2000, 11:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The pic is from the Carnival Triumph, it was taken by Sam Bleecker.

The trick to getting a picture in a message is that it has to already be posted someplace on the Internet. When you know the location -- you cvan put it in certain "tags" and it will appear. How do you a pictures location? Find a pic on the Internet you like - like say the little pictures of Carnival Victory on the CruiseMates cover. RIGHT click on the picture and select propoerties. You will see the URL for the picture. HIGHLIGHT and copy the URL.

Then, come to our message boards and type "

Ooops! I can't type it here because it shows the picture!....

I'll have to fudge it. First you type an "<" without the quotes. Then you type the words "img src= (again without the quotes). Then you actually DO type a quote " and follwo it with the pictures URL, which in this case was http://www.cruisemates.com/Images/Vi...ctory1-tmb.jpg

Then you follow that with another quote and a >, or "> in other words...

so it's
<
followed by:

img src=

and then:

"URL" in quotes followed by

> and that's it.
Old August 22nd, 2000, 08:39 AM
Thulewx

I agree that those who "save" chairs should be lined up against a wall and hosed to within an inch of their lives....but...
I always wonder, why do people put such a premium on chairs BY THE POOL? It's no cooler temperature, it's always crowded there, other chairs usually have a much better viewing range/area, waiters can see you and get to you more easily/faster, and you get to watch all the other people fighting over the pool chairs without being near the firing range... IMHO
***2 months until 2 weeks on Ocean Princess and counting***
Old August 22nd, 2000, 01:10 PM
hdawson

Not sure it is unreasonabel for wife to save a chair while hubby or kids go to get a burger to bring back, or to get something from the cabin or other necessary trips. It's those that put stuff on a group of chairs while they go to lunch in the DR or other onboard events that bug me.
Old August 22nd, 2000, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Hi Hd,
I certainly don't mind when people just leave for a little while, trip back to cabin for a book, etc. Totally agree with you, its those groups of people saving them for people that most likely won't show up to claim their chair for hours yet, but have
to have a choice spot by the pool, come on now. Glad you found the new boards Hd, good to sea ya here :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old August 22nd, 2000, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

since my husband and i are not late sleepers,we are up and ready to go early.. .especially on sea days.......those ugly strap chairs,and the comfy cushion chairs become the most important thing in my life on those mornings and since i am out and about early.i see what goes on with the saving.........a shoe here,a book there.mush up a towel,and this chair can be yours for 4-5 hours.........i really feel the pool staff,falls short in this area,They should be the ones noting which chairs are being saved,and then remove the articles,and free up the chairs...the argument,if any should be taken up with the staff,not another cruiser
Old August 23rd, 2000, 12:31 PM
hdawson

I agree that staff has the responsibility to "try" to reduce this saving of chairs. Must be a tough public relations job though. I guess they could somehow "mark" the chairs and remove items after 15 - 30 minutes. Kind of like a meter maid in some towns.
Old August 23rd, 2000, 02:01 PM
Paul C

Why don't we write each and every cruseline in the world and give our opinion about this matter.

(seriously)
I think the ships should post signs or give notice regarding this matter. I agree with most of you, there should be a time limit on how long a chair is saved. If you leave your things unattended who are you going to blame if your items are "tossed overboard"! In all fairness, no one has the right to "hog" a "good" chair for what seems like the whole day(that is unless you plan to be there pratically the whole time)
Old August 23rd, 2000, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

On sea days quite often I'll plant myself by the pool on lido deck basically from early morning to late afternoon. Love to sit and relax and people watch.
I wouldn't be too pleased if after having been out there since morning, I went to have some lunch and came back to find I'd been displaced.

Obviously the pool chair issue doesn't have an easy answer. I don't really know why we'd expect the cruise lines to police this for us. We should really expect more from our fellow cruisers.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old August 24th, 2000, 10:24 AM
Paul C

Yes, we must educate others on ediquette. However some will see it as being told what to do (on their vacation no less) If the rules are layed out before hand(either in a welcome package or what have you) everyone will have the same rights. Bottom line is that their is obviously as issue here that would be best address by the variouis cruise lines. If anyone has any ideas we could maybe post them here. Who knows? We just might come up with a solution that pleases all.
Old August 24th, 2000, 03:34 PM
cattman

Right on, Kuki...

Maybe the Cruise Review sites should add a category: Deck Chair to Passenger Ratio. After 3 sold-out trips on the Sea Princess, I have yet to
see the deck chairs full... there always seemed to be an empty chair.
This, for better or worse, is a case of "first come, first served"....
Crew members cannot be expected to police the deck chairs...
Old August 24th, 2000, 04:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Deck chair to passenger ratio ... hmmm

I wonder who has the highest in the industry?? I know that Triumph added a lot of deckspace over Carnival Destiny because there was a shortage.
Old August 24th, 2000, 05:43 PM
cattman

One of the reasons we love the Sea Princess(and her sisters) class is the amount of open deck space... with lots of little areas... no climbing walls or ice rinks... especially for Alaska.
Old August 24th, 2000, 09:04 PM
Vicki C

Let the cruise lines know how you feel. Comment cards are read. Enough complaints and they usually pay attention. Let your comments count.
Vicki
Old September 5th, 2000, 05:20 PM
Tasha Pablo

I just came back from seven nights on Voyager of the Seas and they seemed to have a pool staff dedicated to picking up towels that had been left too long "saving" a chair. There were enough chairs that they didn't have to be too agressive, so if you were in the pool your towel was safe, but towels that had obviously been abandoned hours ago didn't create the illusion that all the chairs were saved. I am not an early riser, and was worried about the competition for lounge chairs, but I never had trouble finding one when I wanted one, if not directly on the pool deck, at least just up a deck where you could really watch the pool action.
Old September 5th, 2000, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Hi Tasha,
That is some good news, so someone there is aware of the problem and are doing something about it :-) What about the chairs with shoes, books, etc on them for hours, same thing?? Just hope I don't have to go through that when on Explorer next year, ugh. Thanks for the info.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old March 12th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Watch out!

Come on people, stand up for your rights, its called gravity, if the crap on the chair has been there a long time a slight tip of the chair and whoosh its gone!!! you have rights, you paid for the cruise , no one to my knowledge paid rent on that chair..FIRST COME, FIRST GET. JUST DO IT OR COME GET ME AND MY BOYS AND WE WILL DO IT.....
Old October 10th, 2001, 01:50 AM
Gidget1

I had this problem when my husband and I were on the Explorer. When I went to sit on a chair by the pool.. a lady cleared her throat and announced all of those chairs were 'reserved'. When I asked her when her 'group' would be showing up she said momentarily. I told her no problem. I waited by the railing.. and she promptly went back to reading her book. After 15 minutes went by. I went up and removed a pool towel from one of the chairs. She started to protest and said they were saved. I said no problem and sat down. Well she got in a right state.. and complained to one of the pool staff. When he asked her what chair she had saved for her friends, she casually waved her arm across 10 of them in a row. He just smiled at me, and told her, when her friends show up.. they'll just have to find one more. She harumped and muttered angrily. She then had the nerve to ask me, when I was going to move. I replied 'momentarily'. I stayed for an hour.. and not one person from her 'group' showed up. When I go on my Millennium.. I'll be doing the same thing.. if it happens again.
Old October 10th, 2001, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Good for you Gidget1,
I'd do the same, hope more people do that, but from what Kuki said from his Explorer cruise, the pool attendants were keeping an eye out for that, so I'm hoping our complaints on this subject actually did some good.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old December 21st, 2001, 01:18 PM
Marnie

I can't believe people do that, how important is it that you have that specific chair when you come back from your meal? It sounds like there are plenty of chairs further away from the pool, why must everyone crowd around the pool and each other? Suddenly it's no longer a prime location. I'll enjoy watching all the idiots fight over chairs. But I'll be watching from afar.