Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Default Food-Can it all be bad?

As I read through the various threads of this section and all the others on this board I pick up comments that generalize entire ships and even more so entire cruise lines into comments like
"the food was bad" or "the service was bad" (or entertainment, rooms,itineraries, excursions, crew ,passengers etc).
I would like to start a few separate threads , this one will
address FOOD.
Having cruised 8 times in the past 5 years on 4 differnt lines
and 8 different ships I have experienced some excellent meals,
a few mediocre ones and have had some food that to my taste was
perhaps not so good. When the latter happened however I was always able to quite readily find something else or ask to be served something else . I've never had a problem (considering you can get food 24 hours a day) finding something that I enjoyed eating.
If you say " the food was not good", can you really be saying that nowhere on the ship at any time could you find good quality food?
I find that hard to believe and would like to open up this thread to the FOOD GRIPERS to be more specific about those complaints.
People rely on the comments made here and elsewhere , so, let's hear your complaints but let's be specific. A bad cup of coffee one morning does not mean that a whole cruise line serves bad food . Ok lets hear those Food Gripes.
I'll open up another thread in a day or so on another subject.
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Linda T.

Default Re: Food-Can it all be bad?

Hi Bill,
I agree with you, I have been on 26 cruises and I have always found something good to eat. I'm just not that picky tho, I kinda "go with the flow" on things. And ANY cruise food is better than me having to cook and clean the kitchen at home. The only thing I have a problem with at all is the coffee and that is bad on every ship I've ever been on. I wonder why. Linda
Old October 9th, 2001, 08:23 PM
rsawick

I think its a matter of expectations. If you think you will be eating 5-star meals you will be disappointed. If you think you will be receiving a good quality but mass-produced meal, you will find almost everything acceptable. I cannot ever recall being hungry. There is always something worth eating.

Coffee? Go Holland America. Coffee bar was open every day. The coffee in the Lido was available ans not half bad.
Old October 9th, 2001, 11:53 PM
gogetter

Hello,

Well i do have one gripe with Carnival. We always get the late seating so we have time to take a nap or have time to clean up after an excursion.

So if they say dinner is at 8:15, why don't they open the doors til that time? We have gone down and there is a cattle call of people waiting to 'get in'. Our remedy to this was wait until 9;20-8;30 to get to dinner, and then be rude to show up late.lol..This was specifically on the Fantasy and Ecstasy.

Secondly i believe the late seating is drawn out. I really could do withoput the singing waiters at the end of the evening. Just seems boring and does not enhance my dinner at all.
Old October 10th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

My gripe: the weight I put on after eating all the great food on a cruise! I've never had what I would call a bad meal on a ship. And I don't sail the more expensive lines. I used to live in NY and have eaten 5-star there, but I know not to expect that on board. The food is probably the last thing I would complain about.
Old October 10th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have to agree about the coffee on HAL. I am not a frequent coffee drinker, (Starbucks put me off coffee ) but the coffee they use on HAL is very good. I think it is a dutch blend.

The food on Princess, RCCL and HAL I have found to be very good to excellent and llike the previous comment anything is good that I don't have to cook or clean up after, I heartily agree.

Happy Cruising
Old October 10th, 2001, 11:35 AM
SuzieQ

I'm with you Bill.

I've had dishes that were, to me, fabulous...and others that made me wish I had selected something else.

On our last cruise aboard HAL Maasdam, I thought the food was great...another person we met was angry and assured us that he would be writing a letter to HAL because everything was too fancy, too many spices...what about the people who like plain food?, etc, etc!

MORAL: TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE

I think people sometimes fail to distinguish between the subjective "tase" issues and the objective "preparation/service" issues when they post "lousy food".
Old October 10th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Jim Munkittrick

Great posting.

But let's get one thing straight: The WORST coffee, served anywhere on the face of the earth is on CUNARD. The ship lines deem it important to extend the horrible coffe one gets in England to her ships. WHEW!

Now, I agree with some of the other folks here..with my job, i get to dine at the Mansion on trule Creek (Michelin 5 star) frequently and Del Frisco's Doulbe Eagle Steak House (arguably one of the finest steak joints in the world) and yet I never seem to come off a cruise (40+) complaining. yes, there is an occasional
under cooked, over cooked, tasteless meal. Send it back!

As for drawn out dining..my wife and I love late seating, casual dining, an extra glass of wine or coffee and after dinner drink and we avoid the thundering herds jamming every entertainment venue.

Cruising is what you make of it. The whiners and compaliners...they are the ones that b.... about tax problems after they win the lottery!
Old October 10th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

But you can leave and not stay for the singing, unless of ocurse you haven't eaten yet! And they don't open the doors til then because I assume they are not ready. So be late!

Some cruisers like all that singing and dancing and consider it party of the cruise. And now with NCL Freestyle and Princess Personal Choice you have another option. Or take early seating, or dine in the buffet, or have pizza, or...

I love choices, and I do like Carnival, and cruising
Old October 10th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Admiral

You've made my point exactly. I'm looking to see gripes classified or clarified as to whether they are expressions of a personal taste issue or expressions of a situation indicative of an accross the board problem on a ship or line.
As to coffee, I have given up on dining room coffee on most ships
and ask for tea instead. You can get good coffee in a Kova Cafe on Celebrity , but, you will pay for it. A small price when you are on vacation in my personal opinion.
Old October 10th, 2001, 02:53 PM
SuzieQ

Default Coffee Solution

Why didn't I think of this earlier?!!!

Get one of the fancy Italian, Irish coffees...the liquor pretty much kills the taste of the coffee...and you sleep like a baby!
Old October 10th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Passenger

Thankyou!!! Finally some constructive criticism. My husband and I are newcomers to cruising...but after reading some complaints, I began to wonder if we had made a big mistake about our cruise!! We do love our coffee....is there a Tim Hortons nearby!!
Old October 10th, 2001, 06:05 PM
gogetter

Default Re: Food-Can it all be bad?...Angela specifically

Hello,

So what was all that babbling ? I was offering a specific gripe towards the way i view something, as Bill, the original poster had stated. What i don't think i deserve was your criticism of my post. I know i can come late to dinner to avoid the rush of people. WE DO THAT...I also know we can leave early to avoid the singing and dancing...WE DO THAT ALSO....I know people enjoy it, that is fine and that is their choice, as i have seen quite a few people taking pictures....

I just really want to know whay you had to criticize my little gripe and to stay on topic ?

I agree a cruise is what you make it, I personally don't like those 2 little things and in no way ..shape or form does it ruin my total overall cruise.

I just don't get where you are coming from, and why you even had to mention the obvious....oh well....
Old October 10th, 2001, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Oh No you have not made a big mistake. Cruising is a wonderful
way of escaping the real world for a brief time and getting pampered a bit 24/7 . The whole idea of this thread and the ones I will open up in the next few days is to reach YOU. To make you understand the difference between a real problem and the very personal and isolated experiences that you can often read here and elsewhere as general condemnations of ships , cruise lines and cruising. Let's separate the personal taste problems from the
truly genuine problems so someone like you, a new cruiser, is not misled.
Happy Cruising- 20days to Ocean Princess
Old October 15th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I agree. Thank you very much for starting this. I would like to see the complainers provide better food service. I think the cruise lines do pretty well for as many meals as they have to prepare every day. I think it must be people who don't have to do their own cooking or cleanup at home who do the most complaining. Me, I'm just thrilled to have something served to me instead of doing the serving!
Old October 15th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Admiral

I think you are entitled to expect a little more than that, but, I think you have also essentially hit on the reason most of us cruise in the first place. The service (and all that beautiful blue water).
16 days to Ocean Princess.
Old October 15th, 2001, 07:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Actually - I'm agreeing with you. I think they don't open the doors until then becuase they are simply not ready. So they have a line of people. I say go late like you've been doing.

And I agree that the dinners, first and second both, are drawn out with the singing etc. BUT people do like it and it is part of their cruise epereince.

I'm sorry you thought I was criticiing and that it was off topic - Ang
Old October 15th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was recently on the Maasdam, 11/4/01 sailing and the food was very good. Some dishes were very good, others were just okay. But with the selection how can one not something that they would at least like a little? I thought the dinner portions were a bit small but if you order soup to nuts you'd be more then fine.

If you don't like an appetier then get 2 soups, try a salad, 2 entrees, 3 desserts. Try something unusual. If you don't like it they will bring you something else. Or go to the buffet, have a burger or hot dog or taco.

SO Is this what this topic is to be about? Becuase I don't think I have any food gripes then, and my slight buddha shaped hubby certainly doesn't!
Old October 15th, 2001, 11:31 PM
gogetter

Hello,

Sorry, i took it the wrong way......thanks for clearing it up.
Old October 16th, 2001, 05:17 PM
Admiral

By Jove you've got it.
Old November 3rd, 2001, 07:34 PM
slotl

I have been on over 20 cruises and many cruise lines. The menu give you 'choices'. There is always a fish, beef, veal/lamb, chicken and vegetable choice available. I am sure there is something offered which tickles your taste buds.

In the early days of cruising, HAL Rotterdam (the old one), the waiters served empty plates wearing white gloves and served family style of platters. i.e. did you want green beans, mashed potatoes, or whatever vegetable was on the menu. You could 'mix and match' and make up your own dinner, not eat from 'prepared' plates.

Ah..... but those days are gone.

My worst food experience was on the NCL Norway, a special transatlantic cruise (to drydock for installation of sprinklers) to commerate the return of the S.S. France to LaHavre where it was made and had not returned in 30 years. On this cruise a special menu was created:

This was the meal that Charlie Chaplin had when he crossed on the France in month/year.

This was the meal that.........

very exotic dinners (pheasant, venison, etc), but NO CHOICE of menu!! You ate what was put in front of you. Aspic soup must be very difficult to make, but a soup where my spoon stands up is not to my taste. It was an awful experience. The midnight buffets were jam packed.

Just remember, you don't have to cook, serve, or clean-up after yourself and your family. The meals may be 'institutionalized', but still the quality of the food (beef that melts in your mouth, fish which has been filleted and is still moist) is top-notch (and hopefully the service is too).

Re-assess your expectations about the food (just as you do at home when you visit restaurant chains), and enjoy the pampering -- you deserve it!!

Slotl
Old November 4th, 2001, 11:46 AM
holly

We just booked our 7th cruise. First in 1969. Seen a bunch of changes. Not a picky eater but have had problems with:

Waiter telling husband he couldn't have a second main course-husband reminded him what ip meant - no futher problems-line no longer running

steaks so tough my dog wouldn't be able to chew-lived on chicken & fish -line no longer running

waiter who had no concept of rare as ordered on beef or didn't care to check and served luke warm soup 3x in a row-ended up with the captain waiting our table who also got 99% of tip

There is always a way to manage a problem. Keep going up the ladder til resolved
Old November 24th, 2001, 06:21 PM
MaryEllen

I loved the coffee on the Costa Romantica. It was that dark, lucious, slap-in-the-face, wake-up and face the morning kind. However, one morning, just as I was slurping up a second cup, I overheard someone behind me say, "This coffee is the absolute worst I've ever had!"

While I've never had bad food on a cruise, "bad" in the sense of being spoiled, I have eaten some things which were'nt either cooked or seasoned to my taste. As a devoted cookbook collector, I can vouch for the fact that there is no ONE recipe for any dish except ice water. Even with that, some add a lemon slice, some don't.

ME