Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Default Art Auctions

The push for the art auctions is my one true cruise gripe. You can't seem to escape it. There are paintings hanging throughout the entire ship till the actual "auction." Some paintings are ok, but as with all art, its a matter of taste, so some are just downright UGLY. I wonder who actually BUYS these things? Anyone else wish the ships would emphasize these silly auctions less. What is the worst painting anyone can recall seeing in the halls of a ship waiting to be "auctioned?" I can't recall any specific one, they've all kinda blended into one ugly blob of a memory.
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Aaron

Default Re: Art Auctions

The art down the halls is probably part of the ship's permanent collection..The art(?) on easels are the pieces awaiting auction. The ignorant public who believe the hucksters are truly selling at 70% below gallery prices, deserve the art they buy. The cruiselines have discovered that the auctions are a very profitable revenue stream, and will continue to grow and push the sales of art(?) onboard. When a gallery "owns" an edition of a print like a Tarkey, they can issue as many 350 piece editions as they wish, and since they are not sold in ANY other gallery except their own, their prices are pure cyber speculation. Many of their editions are nothing more than fancy posters, where the artist signed his name in pencil, therefor making it "hand-embellished" (one of the husksters favorite terms). The ONLY art that I have purchased onboard are original oils that I am able to carry off the ship. Then I know that at least it is an original and not a mass-produced print.
Speaking of mass-produced artwork, they now have a "new" method of printing that they are pushing. Rather than a seiograph with all the many screens needed to print a piece, they now have "glacee'", whic is a high definition inkjet printer. You tell me, what inkjet print is worth $500!!!!!!?????????
Old February 21st, 2002, 07:14 PM
Captain

I think your point is not that the ship HAS an art auction, but the way it is sometimes loudly and repeatedly announced over the PA system, making it seem more like a state fair midway than a cruise. Earlier this month, we were on a cruise on a line we had not used before, and it was a good one. When we got home, I got to thinking about the experience and said "hey, they didn't have an art auction". Well, I went through the daily brochures they put on your bed announcing the next day's activities, and discovered that they DID have an art auction. They just didn't blare it out every five minutes. We didn't want to go, anyway, but I'm sure the guests that did found their way to it.Maybe that's the way it ought to work on all ships. What do you think?
Old February 22nd, 2002, 10:38 AM
First Mate

Definately agree! I don't like the announcements for it, or seeing tons of easles at each main staircase or public area. I like seeing activities on the daily papers, but don't want them broadcast with 20, 10, and 5 minute warnings or days in advance, like the art auction. It does give it a state fair atmosphere.
Old February 24th, 2002, 11:51 AM
susancruzs

One of my pet peeves, too and the ultimate insult was going on the Royal Princess last fall and seeing art lined up on the wall around Diana's picture! So tacky and rude. When I was on the RP in 84 as you came up the stairway you saw Diana's picture and she was the main focus. Now they've hung pictures right next to hers with price tags, unbelieveable!

And the announcements and hawking for the auction is so annoying and distracting. One thing Costa cruises doesn't do is announce it every 5 minutes. Once in the morning they came on with a few things that were happening and you were on your own to remember, no 5, 10 and 15 minute reminders!!! Has to be a major money making scheme or why would they all do it! Sue
Old February 25th, 2002, 03:04 AM
Admiral

susancruzs wrote:
>
> One of my pet peeves, too and the ultimate insult was going
> on the Royal Princess last fall and seeing art lined up on
> the wall around Diana's picture! So tacky and rude. When I
> was on the RP in 84 as you came up the stairway you saw
> Diana's picture and she was the main focus. Now they've hung
> pictures right next to hers with price tags, unbelieveable!
>

So? If it was Mother Theresa's Picture, I could see your point....But D's...not something to get excited about
Old February 26th, 2002, 06:33 PM
First Mate

I agree with the person who noted that some of the art is just horrible (and I admit to buying some prints on several cruises). I'm always amazed at the people who spend thousands of dollars for pieces that I think are truly awful). One woman told me after an auction that she owns a gallery, and resells them. That way, she gets to write her cruise off her taxes as an art buying trip. My pet peeves about the auctions are (1) the art emphasizes modern works (I'm old fashioned, I like to KNOW what's on my walls); and (2) the art is never representative of the places that the cruise is going. Why can't Park West encourage local artists, so we can buy Caribbean or Alaskan artworks as souvenirs???? I know it comes down to the artists they have under contract, but it doesn't show much imagination or marketing skill.
Old February 27th, 2002, 02:02 PM
jp garnier

I have read somewhere that there are charges accompanying the purchase that are never, or very quietly, revealed until after the item is purchased. If that is true, shame on the cruise line that condones the procedure. JP
Old February 27th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Passenger

You know Rick you really are a nasty man! How can you say those things about Princess Diana, she's dead for God's sake.

What has she ever done to you? I think you are one of these people that have far too much time on their hands judging by the amount of posts you do.

I hope I am never on the same ship as you because I know I would spot you a mile off you would be the one whining in the corner!!!!!

Rick wrote:
>
> susancruzs wrote:
> >
> > One of my pet peeves, too and the ultimate insult was going
> > on the Royal Princess last fall and seeing art lined up on
> > the wall around Diana's picture! So tacky and rude. When I
> > was on the RP in 84 as you came up the stairway you saw
> > Diana's picture and she was the main focus. Now they've hung
> > pictures right next to hers with price tags, unbelieveable!
> >
>
> So? If it was Mother Theresa's Picture, I could see your
> point....But D's...not something to get excited about
Old March 1st, 2002, 01:31 AM
Captain

While I can't really say ships's shouldn't have art auctions (because some guests seem to like them), I agree that it is the offensive way they are presented that is the problem. One cruise line I've got to hand it to on this issue is Radisson. They have them, and it is announced in the brochure on your bed the night before. But there are no "state fair" type blaring announcements over the ship's PA. The art is not displayed all around the ship with tacky price tags on it. If you want to go, you can. If not, it's not thrown in your face every five minutes. In fact, their art director was recently interviewed on another cruise board, and he said "don't buy anything you have not considered in your home, and don't buy anything you don't really love". Still, with this low-key aproach, people on that cruise line go to art auctions. While I don't, the matter is not thown in my face every time I turn around, so I don't object --- because it is basically a matter of allowing others what they want. What I DON'T WANT is to feel like my whole cruise is one big "infomercial", with the art auctions, port talks, drink "specials", and excursions talks being turned into just another source on "onboard revenue enhancement" on what used to be (and still should be) a nearly all-inclusive vacation. When we are at sea on a cruise ship, we are a "captive market". We can't just go down the street if we don't like what is offered where we are. And I must agree that the way the mass market lines are doing art auctions ---- as well as many other things mentioned above --- is just plain offensive.
Old March 2nd, 2002, 05:58 PM
susancruzs

I'm not so sure, June, that he is nasty, but he just loves to stir the pot and get people started, revel in the answers it brings. He totally missed my point on purpose, just so he could interject his own brand of what he considers to be sarcastic wit. Whether you like Princess Diana or not, the picture is there because she was named Godmother of the ship, now the wall is covered with tacky art with price tags. Of course, he mentions Mother Theresa with that hint of sarcasm. I just said unbelieveable, not really excited, I just think that it looks tacky. There are other topics on this site that one could get excited about if I had the time to read them all and type responses.
Old March 4th, 2002, 01:08 AM
Admiral

JUne.........gezzzzzzzzz chill..........I did'nt know she was dead? When did that happen?
Old March 4th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Admiral

Actually Suzan, I did miss your point....sorry.
Rick
Old March 7th, 2002, 09:15 PM
susancruzs

No, apology needed really, we're all entitled to an opinion would be boring if we all agreed! Actually, most of the time, I enjoy your wit and can tell pretty well, what is fairly serious and figure the rest must be tongue in cheek! You're a pot stirrer and seeing as I've worked for 33 yrs. at a parts warehouse with 60 men or so, I can spot an instigator!!! :-) Actually, I'm the opposite I would love to meet you and Deb on a cruise, just to talk to you both to see what's really up! Too bad you aren't on the "lei'd" cruise! Sue
Old March 8th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Passenger

I have a question relating to art auctions. Do they serve free drinks? If so I can stand a little ugly art for cultures sake. Colleen
Old March 8th, 2002, 10:54 PM
susancruzs

Nope, not that I've seen. Another chance for the servers to walk around and make some money for the cruise line but maybe some of the lines provide one drink, actually they should!
Old March 21st, 2002, 12:41 PM
KathgyN

I think the art auctions give a flea market atmosphere and when they take over the centers of the ships (ie on the Grandeur) forcing you to go throught the auctions (which go on and on ad nauseum) as you make your way through the ship, it's a pain. All the seating is taken over for hours in this area. Why can't they have the auctions in one of the big lounges? During the day they are underused.
I love to cruise, but I hate seeing them turn the ships into big floating tag sales. The cheap watches, etc they offer on the tables in the shopping area are tacky too. IMHO. I'm sure those sales hurt the onboard jewelry shops, which on Grandeur were not the suppliers of the bargain watches etc. and had some good authentic deals of their own.