Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Tom Levesay

Default Honolulu to Tahiti on Princess

Recently sailed on the Princess from Honolulu to Tahiti.
The original schedule called foa a day on Christmas Island. This stop was to break up five days at sea. Two days before the cruise left, I was informed that the ship wpuld not stop at Christmas Island due to damage (by a storm) on the dock. Tenders could not dock there. We found out later that they new since November regarding the dock situation.

So,
since we are not stopping at Christmas - we should gain a day somewhere else. Two days at Bora Bora would be nice. But what did they (Princess) do? They slowed the speed of the ship (save fuel) and we gained no extra time at any port. And we had five straight days at sea.

So much for the Princess Class Experience!

I must admit that everything else went fairly smooth (except shore excursion information - but thats a different story.)
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2002, 08:26 PM
susancruzs

Default Re: Honolulu to Tahiti on Princess

I've been to Christmas Island and I really liked that stop and thought Princess really down played it too much, like why get off there is nothing there. I've read about the pier situation and it surprises me because they stressed to us that because of the islands location, they get rain but no extreme wind. They do have a real tricky tide situation and conditions have to be just right as it is quite shallow. Something about that reason just doesn't seem right to me, I'm going to look at my pictures and see if I have one of the area where we came ashore. I don't remember a dock, it seemed more like a seawall and then you were on hard packed land or concrete.

I've been on other Princess cruises where they couldn't stop and did not offer anything to make the situation sit better with the passengers. I realize they don't have to do anything if they change the itinerary but a little goodwill or PR can go a very long way.
Old March 9th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Natonya

At the very least did you get the port fee back? I have always wondered about that. I understand if you can't stop somewhere but you paid a port fee for that stop. It should be credited back to you shouldn't it?

Natonya
Grand 9/01
Golden 11/02
Old March 18th, 2002, 09:33 PM
CruiserYYC

God how awful - another day at sea - my favorite part of the cruise!!