Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Default Saving Seats in Theatre

I have seen a few posts where past cruisers say that they have gone to the show..find a seat..only to be told that this ROW is saved. What? Is that right? It has never happened to us. If it did, you all know I would laugh and sit down <G>. How you stop people from doing that is to ignore them and sit. I can understand someone saving a seat for a spouse or another couple....but saving a whole row!!?? I don't think so.
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2002, 05:26 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Saving Seats in Theatre

Yep! It's true- it happened to us on the Spirit 3/27-4/4. No lie. We were told time and again ... "This row is saved" , "This section is saved"... etc. Entire sections of deck chairs were toweled with no one in sight for hours... Parents would save the section for their entire group even though they were the only ones using the chairs.

My lonely chair was shoved aside, my drink spilled onto my shoes, strappy wallet, book, wrap, hat and towel as it was all dumped over as someone shoved my chair aside to make room for their group. I had only gone to get wet in the pool! Everything was Pina Colada soaked. When I returned to find this and stood there in amazement shaking my things out - not one person said a thing to me.

Sidenote: I accidentally bumped into someone's small table at the disco one night and spilled their drink. I promptly asked what they were drinking and bought her and her husband drinks to apologize. I think it's just a matter of sheer manners or lack of.

I wish I had the cajones to just sit down! I would walk away sheepishly yet annoyed- lol. Trust me, on my next cruise should I encounter behavior like this I'll respond with more guts.

The topper was... in the lobby when everyone was gathering for debarkation, we went to sit across from an elderly woman who instantly blurted out quite rudely "Hey! This section is saved!!".... At that point all we did was walk away laughing. Like I said in an earlier post - our motto for the week was "Hey! This Ship is SAVED!"

I swear- I even saw towels on tables around the center deck pool where they hold the games and the band plays. If we wanted to grab a bite to eat and listen to the band it was impossible. I imagine they saved their chairs with a towel and their lunch table with more towels!

I was starting to doubt the sweetness of my scent- Honest- I showered frequently and I really don't take up much room!

Happy Cruising...
deja
P.S. who won't be cruising over school holidays again
Old April 17th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Saving Seats in Theatre

I can't believe what the elderly woman did.......since she was elderly and would offer little or no resistance, I would have taken her out!

Old April 17th, 2002, 07:58 PM
marnie

Great Rick, especially since you conributed 7.65% of your salary to her vacation. !

I'm going to work on my spanish accent and just say something like "hola" or "no comprende"
Old April 17th, 2002, 07:58 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Saving Seats in Theatre

ROFL!! Rick you seriously crack me up. I look for your posts every day. I can only hope to be on the same cruise with you some time. We can beat up rude old ladies and tie up obnoxious kids.

Happy Cruising!!

deja
Old April 18th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Great idea for the next cruisemates cruise. Mix a group of obnoxious people (any age)with another group of rude little kids and their parents. The topper would be to have a Marine Corps reunion group on the same ship. I'd bet by day two there would be no seat saving , chair saving or little kids in hot tubs. What do you think Rick?
Old April 18th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Admiral

HuuuuuuuuuRahhhhhhhhhh! <G>

Old April 18th, 2002, 09:31 PM
First Mate

Let's look at things from another perspective. Once a year, I take a "family vacation" with a group of from 10 to 14 people, ranging in age from 4 to mid-80s. We all want to see the show, but we tend to finish dinner at different times (we're always on late seating). We definitely want to sit together as a family. If two couples happen to finish earlier than everyone else, they might head to the theatre earlier, and sit in a row that has enough seats for the "gang." I don't recall any of us ever saying that we were saving the row, but we did say we were expecting six or eight or ten more people shortly, and in general others would let us have the number of seats we needed.
OTOH, we never saved deck chairs except when we actually went into the pool.
Old April 19th, 2002, 12:18 AM
Admiral

David, I think a lot of this is about attitude. If Deb and I were trying to sit and someone rudely said "You can't sit here..this row is saved"! Then of course it's in my nature to say thanks for saving them for us and sit down <G>. Given the scenario you described, I would certainly try to be understanding and sit somewhere else if possible. Of course I can understand family wanting to sit together. That said, if there were no other seats or no others we wanted to sit in, then I would say I am sorry but we need to sit here and sit there. Under those circumstances and given the fact that you sound like a understanding person, I am sure there would be no problem because we handled it like mature adults.

Old April 19th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Phillip B. Eddy

I don't understand why 14-18 people would have to sit in one row. Surely #1 isn't going to be trying to talk down the row to #18 while seated, would they (unless they were shouting)? Which gives rise to another gripe - why can't people just shut up during a performance? Do they really feel that their input is so important that those around them need to be kept informed?
(Hey, it's early, and I have a headache so I'm grouchy)
Old April 19th, 2002, 08:05 AM
First Mate

Well, no, we don't _have_ to sit in one row, but we would like to sit *together*--and it's easier to keep a group of seats in one row together than to keep, say, four seats in each of three adjoining rows together.

That said, we don't talk to each other during performance (at least not most of the time--there's still the occasional "Ah!" and so on). We get just as irritated at people who feel compelled to talk during performances--especially about non-related issues. Some of us are actually involved in theatre ourselves (community theatre, to be sure, but we have the same gripes as professionals do about rude audiences.
Old April 19th, 2002, 10:53 AM
biggest daddy

I think saving 8 or ten seats is ridiculous. If you like to be together you should all go together and not have this problem. What a nerve. The othet option would be to reserve the seats where no one that goes on time would want to sit.
Old April 19th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm a Spanish teacher and have had the "cojones" to say "no comprendo" to the rude people in question. They were still rude.
Old April 19th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Marnie

At least have more than 1/2 your party at the theater well before show time. Since all the seats in the theater are great, try to sit in an area that's not going to fill up too quickly, that way you all get to sit together without asking others to leave and find other seats. When your told multiple times that the seats are saved is when it becomes a problem, before you know it, the lights are going down and you still haven't found a seat.
Old April 19th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Admiral

This time Deb is going to tell "rude" people that "this is Rick's first extended unsupervised outing since being released from the institution.....so please don't upset him. " Also, we really like your no comprendo.....lol

Old April 19th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Saving Seats in Theatre

The word is already out on you Rick. If the seats are not given up you can end up like the guy who might move your towel. OK I 'll lay off that line now. I just couldn't resist one more time. Have a wonderful cruise.
Old April 19th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Saving Seats in Theatre

lol......Thanks Bill. Deb and I are counting down the days!

Old April 19th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had a great experience on the Golden in Feb. I had already had several acrylic nail incidents during the first 3 days of the cruise (smashed my fingers in the bars of the hide-a-bed as I tried to fold it up one morning - PAIN!!). As we walked through the theatre to find seats, I bumped into one on the end of a row with NO ONE in it as I walked behind the seats. The seat swiveled and had a cane on it to save the seats. As the chair swiveled, the cane fell right onto my big toe and split it WIDE OPEN. Now, my foot is bleeding painfully. The elderly woman in the row in front of the chairs looked back angrily and stated "that row is saved". I wasn't about to sit down - I had to go to the ladies room and try to get the bleeding stopped!!
Old April 19th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Admiral

I think there should be a 5 day waiting period before an elderly person can buy a cane...for a background check!

Old April 22nd, 2002, 10:48 PM
Admiral

If you want to sit together in the theatre then you should arrive at the theatre together. You should not expect somebody else to move to another location for your convenience and desire. The theatre is first come first serve and not a purchased ticket and seat assignment as a ball game.

If I find a seat I would like to occupy and it's empty I'm going to sit there. Just as you want to do. First come first serve.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 25th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Joe Reynolds

The cruise ships have been on make it known that seat saving is frowned upon. Now I have no problem if a couple saves a seat for another couple, but entire rows and sections, NO. I like everyone to fun and have their group together, but let's not be to greedy. Now just think how unhappy they are when they get into the seats 30 minutes to an hour early to safe seats. My, My, they have missed some things. Most all the seats are good seats. If someone disrespects my wishes to save a seat for another couple, I just look for another section that is less desirable to them and go there. If it is so crowded, then I would stand to be with my friends rather than stay seated next to someone that could not respect our wishes. Actually I am saving only one seat and my wife the other. We kind of spread out so to speak. Now we do not save this seat past show starting time. If for some reason the other couple does not show, we move over and allow any late comers to seat.
We usually follow the same procedure on deck. We respect other's wishes to have their friends sit with them, but only an occassional chair], not entire area.