Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2002, 10:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Don't rain on my parade!

I'm just venting....!!!

To those people who don't cruise...don't make me feel bad cuz I'm going on another cruise!

I don't gloat, brag or make a grand announcement when I book a cruise. In fact, I never even mention it unless I'm asked, but if someone asks me where I'm going to go on my vacation or my long weekend off, I'm not gonna lie, I will tell you I'm going on a cruise...!

So to my co-workers, don't give me the evil eye and don't assume that I'm overpaid or got a raise and you didn't !! I just happen to have different priorities and I save my money for CRUISING..!

and to my boss, don't look at me with one eyebrow raised when you're considering how much to give me for my annual raise and you ask..so WHAT are YOU doing for your vacation AGAIN this year.! Trust me I earn every penny and I can cruise because I didn't buy 2 brand new Lexus this year!

And to my friends... HOW many times have I tried to convince you to come with me! Don't be jealous, join in on the fun, you dont' know what you're missing!!! No you won't be bored nor will the ship sink! I promise you'll become addicted like I have!

And to my ex-husband.. NO I'M NOT using child support to finance my cruise. I work hard for my money just like you do and OUR child, who I support too, lacks for nothing that he needs, trust me!

WHEW now that I got that off my chest! Thanks for letting me vent (in jest of course)..!!!

Seriously though, I count my blessings every day. I know I am fortunate to be in a position to afford to cruise. So many can't. I remember those days when I was young and there were never any extras such as vacations to wonderful destinations. I will never take it for granted!!!
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2002, 02:34 PM
marnie

Default Re: Don't rain on my parade!

I've experienced some similar reactions from co-workers. It's a shame. I try to be happy for others as well, by saying "good for you, have a great time". After all, they've worked all year to get there, they should be congratulated.

The negative reactions I get are from bosses. I work in the finance dept of a hospital, but the year end financials are not my responsibility. I have many busy times of the year and January is one of the few months that's convenient for me to go away. The CFO chose to make a scene by announcing to everyone in a meeting that I was going on vacation during year end closing. I don't expect the rest of the finance dept to hang around the office when it's budget season or when it's time to file my federal and state reports. But I sure got an earfull after that meeting. Most people were happy for me, but a few made comments like, "I wish I could afford to go on a cruise", meanwhile they make much more than me, but they have several SUV's and we have one a hatchback civic in our household. If vacation is such a problem, they shouldn't have included vacation in the compensation package they offered. I was actually planning on working that Saturday before I flew out, but after that event, I decided against it.
Old April 20th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Passenger

Both of you keep it up. Cruise and cruise again!!!!!

It is the only way to go......
Old April 21st, 2002, 07:31 PM
First Mate

Yikes!

It's just starting for me. For years, we never vacationed without the kids. If we did it was for an occasional long weekend, and I mean once or twice! Our children are older now - one in college, one graduating HS in June and off to college in the fall, and the youngest finishing her freshman year.

We're in a position now to leave them home alone and travel! Since 9/11 our attitude has totally changed and we've decided not to put off the things we've always planned on doing "when the time was right". Well, the time is right!! We've discovered that cruising is our preferred way to vacation! We love it, and we're going to do it as often as we can afford.

When we returned from our first cruise a few weeks ago, we turned around and booked 2 more. One we are taking the kids on (a cruise to nowhere, local out of NYC) and an October 7 day- alone.

My family and friends think we've flipped! All of a sudden we've gone bonkers- lol.
I'll skip the new Lexus or Land Rover and drive my Jeep into the ground. I'll skip the NYC restaurants and pass on other things because I know I'd rather be cruising!

Funny thing is - the kids approve! They like their time home alone. We're still young - late 30's. Some of my friends and family have small children. I started early and it was rough - but now I can reap the benefits of being young and able to cruise!

Be happy for me! I'd be thrilled for you! I haven't flipped out - I've just finally found something I really love to do.

Happy Cruising- dreams of warm tropical places and calm seas.
deja
P.S. I posted a review of the Carnival Spirit and even did a goofy photo gallery. I am addicted, obsessed and loving it.

Carnival Triumph

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old April 21st, 2002, 09:30 PM
marnie

If you've flipped, it's in the right direction. WOO HOO !!!!!!! Have fun and don't let anyone stop you.
Old April 22nd, 2002, 09:49 AM
Admiral

And to people who post every D@MN cruise they've been on in their entire life at the bottom of the message! Give me a break, I'm not impressed. Glad for you but.......

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 22nd, 2002, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Don't rain on my parade!

Thomas! Where ya been pal!? I agree.......not impressed.

Old April 22nd, 2002, 12:11 PM
worktocruise

And don't you love it when people say "Well, it must be nice!"? I've learned to respond with: "It is!" I love it!

Life is choices! I choose to cruise!
Old April 22nd, 2002, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Don't rain on my parade!

Been on vacation...........unfortunately not cruising though. Wife couldn't go and as I posted earlier hate to pay a single supplement. Know you're on the Pride in 13 days, if you look out the back of the ship that would be me hanging on the dock line screaming......"Pleeeeeeease take me with you."

Regards,
Thomas

Old April 22nd, 2002, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't rain on my parade!

lol.....Actually, Deb and I will fly into Orlando this Friday...spend the night and board Sat. We are very excited. I will check the Stern and if I see you hanging on, I will throw you a line and pull you aboard . Take care my friend.

Old April 22nd, 2002, 02:50 PM
fourkids

Sounds like my husband and I are in the same boat as deja, we only just started traveling without our kids as they are now older. We are in our early/mid forties and some friends and co-workers give us grief. My favorite is "what about the kids?", they will be fine an do enjoy their time alone. We took them on a cruise in '91 and all had a great time, but now with college and all...can only afford two tickets..sorry kids..maybe next time..

Enjoy your trips all....
Old April 22nd, 2002, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't rain on my parade!

Wow, it's almost here, huh? Four more days! I hope they have fixed the temperature problem in the hot tubs for ya, they were just barely above warm last Jan.

As you promised, you should not forget your notebook for recording all the gripes on this cruise. We're all waiting.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 7th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Captain

Well, to your critics, I say "the best revenge is living well".