Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default The way some people act on a cruise

My wife, sons and I returned from our cruise on the Explorer of the Seas last Saturday. We had a wonderful time. The ship was increadible. Unfortunetly the cruise was not with out it's share of people problems. The day we pulled out of St. Thomas there was an altercation between a women in a wheelchair and man in the Royal Promanade. It turned pretty ugly and the ships security under the orders of the captain removed two families when the ship made its stop at San Juan. Young teen running all over the ship, playing in the lifts and running up and down the deck. My wife and I rode one of the lits full of adults. Two young teenage girls walked on, pushed every button on the elevator and walked off on the next floor. When asked why by one the other adults, she gave a smart and dirty response which no one could believe. Many people complain about very young children on ships. The way some people acted on this cruise, bad behavior does not come from just little kids. My sons (ages 3 and 5) had a great time. They sat in the dinningroom and ate theirs meals with out problem and wanted to go to the childrens rooms everyday.
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: The way some people act on a cruise

What you said, Mikey.

On a recent cruise there were two 20-something chicks who were drunk on their butts (nice butts, as my husband might say, but still ...) being totally obnoxious all day, every day.

Another CruiseMate and I finally complained and got the babes flagged from the bar on the pool deck..

The problem is parents ... whether the kids are 3, 13, or 23 not keeping watch over them. Or not raising them right.

The good news about small children is that they are not tall enough to push the elevator buttons !!!

On the other hand, I have seen far too many "grown up" people crawling onto the ship on Cozumel after a long afternoon at Carlos & Charlie's. That's kind of disgusting, too.

Going on a cruise is not an excuse for forgetting the good manners taught by parents if, in fact, they were taught at all. Or being respectful of other passengers.

Cheap cruises get cheap people. I guess we have to learn to live with it.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:31 AM
Admiral

Don't you wish people would just act civilized and respect others? But I believe anytime you put 2000 people in one confined enviroment some problems are going to erupt. I just don't know how to avoid it.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:59 AM
Admiral

Rude people are rude people , whether on a cruise ship, in a shopping mall, school, office , beach, restaurant, bar or anywhere else. The biggest difference is that in the outside world you might bump into these people once and never again. In the small confines of a cruise ship the behavior is magnified by witnessing the same behavior over and over again. The same people making fools of themselves at the same bar , same time, everyday for a week. The same parents ignoring the poor behavior of their poorly raised children in the pool, restaurant , hot tubs and elevators.
Pamda, I disagree with your last comment. As a young married couple growing up we didn't have much money. We took bargain vacations if they came along and I assure you that my family"s behavior would not have been the subject of this kind of thread .
Poor behavior is not an economic thing. Most of the rude, boorish and overbearing people I know and just about all the poorly raised , spoiled brat children I have observed have been from upper economic backgrounds.
Avoid travelling during spring break and heavy vacation times for kids. Take the longer cruises if you can. Avoid the party atmosphere ships and cruise lines(unless that is what you are interested in). Sunbathe on upper decks away from the pool (or stern decks) they tend to be quieter. Ask for larger tables, with adults your own age. Simply get up and move your chair , or move to another lounge etc. I know you shouldn't have to, but isn't that better than getting aggrevated over poor behavior. Identify those elevator button pushers to a ships crewman and let the ships crew talk to their parents.
Most importantly, relax , don't sweat the small stuuf , you are on vacation. Don't let someone elses behavior push your buttons, that is after all why you took this cruise, to get away from that rat race.
Happy cruising 20days 23 hours to the BVI and our first Windjammer.
No kids, no deck chairs to save, no hot tub to hog, no elevators. Just sun, blue water and Rum swizzles.
Old May 3rd, 2002, 11:04 AM
Admiral

I also agree that no matter the age, you are what your parents taught you. There is no excuse for boorish or rude behaviour and I for one will not allow them one. The only thing so far that I don't really agree with is equating cheap cruises with poor behaviour. I have seen more examples of improper behaviour onboard the more expensive cruises than on the more economical ones. Now understand I am not including any three day cruise in that mix as I have a feeling from posts I have read that I would not be happy with many of those people.
Jim

Old May 3rd, 2002, 11:32 AM
Admiral

As usual, Bill is right.

One of the rudest women I have ever encountered was wearing enough jewelry to feed a third-world nation for a year and her wardrobe would have fed the nation next door.

To say that I wrinkled my delicate little nose at her nouveau riche behavior is an understatement.

My comment was out of line. I had just finished my cheapskate rant, so please forgive if I gave offense.

My husband always says that what you have left after your forbearers spent all the money is good manners.

When we (that's the larger we) are at home we can choose our friends and those with whom we socialize. People whom we would never invite into our homes end up at the same table or the next lounge chair.

Every day on these boards I see people who have real concern for others along with concern for their own cruise experience. One lady was recently posting about her excitement for an upcoming cruise. She learned that another lady would be on the same cruise and that lady was wheel-chair bound. Lady #1, who admitted up front that she was of modest means and was taking the least expensive cruise she could find, immediately volunteered her two teen-aged sons as wheelchair pushers. Now, that is a class act. She was also completely concerned that she was going to tip enough and would the recommended amount be sufficient?

On a recent cruise, we met a couple on their first cruise. 50-ish, I would say. Modest means kind of folks, and the wife was painfully shy as well as terribly concerned about doing the "right thing". We met at open seating dinner the first night out. One day, the husband was off somewhere with the key cards, the johns on the Lido were closed for cleaning and she was desperate for a bathroom. I said she could use mine. She almost didn't make it when she saw the sign on the door. "This CAN'T be your room. You're too NICE!!!"

Perceptions are funny things.

That said, the WORST cruise we were ever on was just after Chandris sold off their bottom-line ships. (Fantasy?) It was right after the Legionnaires' Disease incident on Horizon and the ship was less than half-booked. Celebrity filled it up with people who had booked on the (much) less expensive cruise. There was a discernable difference in the demographics so far as manners, attitude, dress, etc. were concerned. I'm sure some of those folks just blended right in with the passengers who had paid MUCH more for their cruise but ... tank tops advertising beer ON MEN for formal night?

It all comes down to my favorite word (sing it, Aretha) R-E-S-P-E-C-T !!!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: The way some people act on a cruise

On 16 cruises, including five on Carnival, I think that the truly rude people I have seen or encountered could be counted on the fingers of my hands. Either I am very tolerant or very lucky, but there seems to be a much more friendly atmosphere on ship than elsewhere. Of course, we DO NOT cruise during the summer, during spring break or over the Holidays. That could make things different.
Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: The way some people act on a cruise

I don't think you will ever find a majority of people on a cruise ship to be "of bad behavior". Unfortunately in the small confines of a cruise ship the poor behavior of a few , can get magnified. Trying to remeber that you are on vacation and even the poor behavoir of others isn't going to spoil it is the best way of dealing with it.
When I end up on an elevator with all the buttons pushed , I just stand back and think of it as taking the local instead of the express(maybe that concept is a NY subway thing not shared by others).
Probably the absolute best thing about cruising is the constant interaction with other people and the friendships that develope ,whether short term or long term.
Happy cruising to all .
Old May 3rd, 2002, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: The way some people act on a cruise

What's wrong with pushing all the buttons on an elevator?? I do it all the time because I like the ride, and enjoy telling people on every floor we're taking the scenic tour of the shaft. Not really, just kidding of course.

But, I'll have to say I get irked when people ride the elevator DOWN one floor! You can't walk DOWN one flight? You will stand for five minutes at an elevator to avoid walking DOWN one floor. Able bodied people no less ! Gravity will help you for Pete's sake. You can FALL down one flight for crying out loud!

Whew...............I feel better.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The way some people act on a cruise

I totally agree with you on that one Tom! I have very bad knees and feet and ankles and walking does occasionally present problems for me but I will not hesitate to go down a flight or two and even up a flight if an elevator isn't right there. I amazes me to see some very able-bodies people including kids HAVE to ride for one or two flights.
Jim

At the risk of getting slammed I have also seen some folks who would do well by walking a flight or two.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The way some people act on a cruise

Ha...............you crack me up, but I chuckle under my breath because if you get slammed for that comment then I should be pulverized for what I'm thinking.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 3rd, 2002, 09:51 PM
susancruzs

Interesting comments all and I will pass this time, except I enjoy the elevator ones as I am not particularly an elevator person. Frankly, I don't want to be stuck in one if there is a problem. I'll huff and puff my way up the stairs, thanks!

Although with my cabin on Deck 2 of the Summit and the buffet all the way up top, I may have to bite the bullet and do the elevator routine. If I wasn't carrying 20 extra lbs., I'd hoof it!!! Remind me of this when you see me in that elevator! :-) Sue
Old May 4th, 2002, 12:03 AM
First Mate

Actually not taking the elevator is the only way I'm able to fit in my clothes come the 6th night. On the century last month I think I took the elevator once, and I only gained 3 pounds. I would hate to think what would of happened had I taken the elevator every time I needed to go up or down.
Old May 4th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Carrying 20 extra lbs. should be the motivator to take the stairs. I find the little extra expenditures of energy, such as lifting the garage door, using the push mower and not the riding mower, using the hand saw instead of chain saw, etc. help keep the lbs. off.

Sometimes I'll even get off the couch and change the channel !

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 4th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The way some people act on a cruise

20 lbs is ALL! Man, I wish I only needed to lose 20lbs! I do try and use the stairs as often as I can and also hit the gyms and spa daily. If I didn't then I would look like Jedda the Hut! <>
Jim

Old May 4th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Admiral

I did not gain even one ounce on my ten day Hawaii cruise last week. I walked three miles around the deck every day and used the stairs rather than the elevator. I also had two desserts with every meal, but DID NOTconsume a lot of sugary drinks. I even got my wife to use the stairs once in a while mostly going down.
Old May 4th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Holly

No, cheap is not necessarily cheap. Hubby is disabled. we managed to put 2 kids thru college, pay our mortgage and drive decent cars (albiet 5-10 years old). If we want to cruise every yaer or 2 cheap is a must for us. However, that does NOT mean I forgot what I learned at my mother's knee or I taught my kids. @$%&** be @$%&** everywhere, grocery stores, Walgreens, or a cruise ship and blast it, I for one am &&&& tired of the me first, its my vacation, deep 6 the rest of the world attitude. Would I sneak a bottle/2 of wine aboard - Yes in a minute, I also took it home unopened 12/01. Would i stiff the wait staff - NEVER. My company pays me bi-weekly and ever since I have cruised (1969 ) I have known the staff absolutly depends on tips to support their families and have paid accordingly, ie seldom less than standard, sometimes more. Do I do cruise ship excusions, seldom (1/2 per sail). Usually book a car/driver at the pier and over the 7 cruises have had only 1-2 really bad ones, at least 10 excellent (got extra tip) on a couple other problems (accidents, never missed ship sailing).
Old May 5th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Claudia

Right, when you put 2000 people on a cruise.. you are not on a cruise you are
in a city. That is why we stopped going on those cruises. We have also solved the problem. We booked a luxury barge cruise through Burgundy region in France . Ship only takes max 6 passengers . We are going with another couple. If no one books the other suite we are on our own private yacht for 7 days of great food & wine.
Old May 5th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: The way some people act on a cruise

Gosh I am sure we can all afford that. Bragging are you ?? lol

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Rick, welcome back. While you were gone people were being nice to each other. We missed you.
Bill
Old May 7th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

To respond about the comment about walking down one flight of stairs and I know you were referring to able bodied people, but sometimes that can be a little hard to tell of a person just by looking at them. I have enflamed arches in both feet that are taking forever to heal. You wouldn't know it by looking at me, I appear to walk fine. But stairs , especially going down, is painful for me. So yes, I was taking the elevator just for one flight. I would have preferred to walk, if only to burn off some of those calories I was eating! lol. Just wanted to present "another side to the story" )
Old May 7th, 2002, 11:02 PM
Admiral

There are also people who have a form of vertigo that is really nasty when going downstairs.

You'd never know it to look at them.

I happen to be one.
Old May 10th, 2002, 11:41 PM
travelitis

I have had reconstructive surgery on both feet and have the "end-of-the-line" orthotic as my surgeon put it. I can vouch for anyone with inflamed arches that every step feels like muscles in your feet are ripping to shreads and warrants riding in the elevator 1 flight.

I still have and will always have a walking disability, and I always head for the stairs to try to keep weight off my sore feet. The more weight I put on and have to carry around, the worse my feet will feel. I think it's safe to say that many elevator people could stand to hoof it a bit.
Old May 15th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Marnie

I agree. It seems people are love elevators. It takes longer to wait for them and ride only a few decks than it would to just walk, but they don't care, they love them. I can honestly say that I rode the elevators twice on my last cruise. Once was at 2 am and I just wanted to ride the glass elevators all the way from the top to the bottom without it stopping 6 times along the way. The 2nd time was just to prove to my lazy friend that it isn't practical unless you're incapable of taking the stairs. I wish people would appreciate the fact that they are still capable of walking. Some day they may not be able to. Leave the elevators to those who truly need them.
Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:00 PM
Passenger

Bill:

I couldn't agree with you more. Irritating people are everywhere you go and that is just an unfortunate reality. Just try to make the best of the situation and not let it ruin your vacation. However, I think there are a few things that can be done. First, in my opinion its ok to bring unruley children (button pushers) to the staff's attention. I took my first cruise at the age of 10 and my parents would have killed my if the staff had to approach them about my bad behavior (I know this doesn't work with all parents but I think some would be embarassed enough to take action).

Second, my best advice to people seeking a pleasurable cruise experience is to choose their cruise wisely. For persons wishing to escape young children certainly don't choose a cruise that caters to them. Also ask your travel agent if they can get a perspective on what types of people will be cruising a particular cruise (especially true during spring break periods). I know that 10 years ago I took a cruise on spring break and nealy a quarter of the ship was filled with 18 year old high school seniors, like myself at the time, sans parents. This particular cruise aboard NCL's Norway was chosen because of the number of teens that would be in attendance (by the way at the time NCL's drinking age was 18 which could account for its popularity among teens at the time). Our travel agent knew this information and booked accordingly. Looking back I feel rather sorry for the other 75% of passengers even though I honestly didn't see instances of unrulely behavior (drinking was plentiful, falling down puking was not) and this may have been aided by NCL's plentiful activities for the teens. Thus, drinking ages and teen activities are something to inquire about before booking.

My point is simply that while you can't stop people from behaving poorly there are steps that can be taken to minimize the odds that you will encounter behavior you deem intolerable. For people who find incessant cigar smoking rude and intolerable I suggest opting for a cruise that doesn't advertise their great cigar bar. Party all night not your thing don't opt for the "Fun Ship".

Oh and one more thing (Bill was right here too), what you will remember years from now probably won't be the drunk women in the lounge but the great people you meet. Incidentally, my parents met a great group of folks on that cruise when I was 10. We have kept in touch and they will be attending my wedding in the fall. I'm looking forward to the honeymoon - a Mediterranean Cruise and I'm hoping to meet some equally amazing people.
Old June 18th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Spikey

I was on that same sailing of the Explorer and also witnessed the "altercation" on the Royal Promenade - and don't forget the couple and the ship employee that were taken off the first day in the Bahamas for drug possession! I say good for Royal Caribbean - this type of behavior should NOT be tolerated.