Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2002, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Default FBI and SCUBA

Last month, Jenn#1 posted a concern about terrorists using SCUBA. Most of the responses rather discounted the concern. I just found that thread today, and here's my response:

"Way back when, the U.S. Navy taught me how to do a ship bottom search for limpet mines. That experience also taught me how easy it would be to place a limpet mine on the hull of any civilian ship, including a cruise ship - which, even since 9-11, would not be difficult, even with harbor security in place, operational and alert. IMHO, JimM has a reasonable concern. It's very easy to assume that our in-place security will be able to prevent all terrorist incidents, but such an assumption is foolish indeed. Certainly a ship could become a terrorist target. Let's be real, folks."

Just try to imagine the results of a ship in the Panama Canal being the target of a successful terrorist.
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2002, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: FBI and SCUBA

Yes again, Divetex. I agree completely and rather think a mega-ship is an attractive target for terrorists. Coast guard security in the U.S. is provided out 3 miles from U.S. ports. But what about foreign ports?

First speed boat I see with middle-eastern men approaching my cruise I'm throwing my frozen drink on them!!!

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 22nd, 2002, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Thomas - that will fix them. ROF

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 23rd, 2002, 02:34 PM
Yeoman

Being in the Law Enforcement loop, this is a real threat but I was on the "Radiance" in Oct '01, the "Legend of the Seas" in Mar '02 and have booked the "Legend" again next month plus "Carnival's Spirit" next April. PHEW...concerned, yes but cruising? YES!
Old August 4th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Re: FBI and SCUBA

I live in South Florida and have friends who work for cruiselines. SCUBA divers ARE inspecting the hulls of ships these days.

Carole