Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2003, 10:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Stay home if you're FAT!

Well, I work with the VERY obese and have lost over 120 pounds in the last 3 years and we all pay the SAME amount of money for our cruises and ALL deserve to have a wonderful time. When I first saw this topic I was ready to go to WAR with the poster of this message until I read the thread. I still do NOT feel comfortable wearing a swimsuit even though I only have 1 3/4 pounds to get to my goal but others that do I say more power to them. I do think sometimes(this is just my opinion) that some women that are very obese tend to dress "ridiculous" and "flaunt" their excess poundage.
Old July 18th, 2003, 08:34 AM
sascol

While eating 7 ice creams in an hour! : )
Old July 19th, 2003, 10:07 PM
LindaS

It's quite simple. For those of you who judge others by their appearance......it's your loss, just think of all the those wonderful people you would miss out on getting to know and love.

And think about the people you care about that are in your lives right now.............I bet they're not supermodels, rich, beautiful, etc.......but I bet many of them ARE on the inside.
Old July 19th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Admiral

It's a good thing beauty is only skin deep. Who wants to see a good looking spleen?

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 20th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Skinny People are almost always miserable cause they are always dieting!!
I would rather be voulumptious and happy than skinny and miserable!!!!!!!!
Happy cruising!!! gonna have some food now!!!!!!
Captangel

CARNIVAL DESTINY
Old July 23rd, 2003, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Stay home if you're FAT!

I do have to put my 5 cents in here too! Last year i lost 50 pounds on Atkins and felt great. In the last 6 month I re gained 20 pounds...I ended up in the emergency room with high blood pressure, high sugars and high cholesterol. Needless to say i am back on my diet to regain my health back. Blood pressure is normal again so are sugars. And all this in over 1 week of Atkins and meds.

fact is overweight people are looked upon in a demeaning way and this is wrong. But the other fact is obese/fat people are most likely sick with other things like high BL,sugars etc. It is a known fact if you loose weight the other dangers will dramatically reduce.The other fact is the food pyramid is wrong and we have been taught to eat cheap food, high in carbs and sugars.Until this is changed people will continue to eat wrong and die of related illnesses. Ending up on a stretcher in the emergency room made me realize hey...there is life without a hot fudge sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never be real skinny but if I am healthy I have won the battle! So loose some weight and begin to be healthy

Old July 25th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Yeoman

horray for standing up for us 'larger than live size people. i think we should concentrate on the person we meet and not the shell that covers us up. i have to admitt i have been dieting to improve my health and not have to buy a new wardrobe 'again' because i outgrew another set of clothes. but i am happy with who i am, dress nicely and stylishly and have a great time no matter what i am doing. i work very hard for my money and this is my vacation to enjoy myself and and be at the pool or were ever on the ship along with everyone else. these people that are rude and think "we " should stay home are the ones who should be on another ship made especially for the 'perfect figured person'. HAHAHAHA--GOOD LUCK. i like who i am and enjoy being with all types of people. anyone past a size 14 i hope to see you on the deck!!!
Old August 13th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Mike Heath

I am not underweight I am just over tall :-)
But I am sure this will be sorted out after 15 days of cruise style eating this October :-)

Mike
Old August 14th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to BambiRumsey Send a message via MSN to BambiRumsey

Life is entirely too short to skip dessert IMHO.....
Old August 14th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Dean Renner

You know, Thomas might be on to something here. With the spleen thing, I mean.

Oh the possiblities! Just think, we could have the Mr. Sexy Spleen contest. We could have the Hairy Spleen contest. We could have the Miss Shapely Spleen contest.

“Show me yours and I’ll show you mine.” “Mine’s bigger than yours.............”

And before the powers that be cut me off, I think Thomas’ point is well taken.

If you’re going to judge someone on his or her physical features, you might as well start with his or her spleen. Sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it?

About as ridiculous as judging someone on the size/color/shape of his or her skin.

To healthy spleens and other things.

Dean
Old August 15th, 2003, 06:22 PM
First Mate

Stereotyping is so unfair. What do you consider skinny and what do you consider fat? Because one person is not obesed doesn't mean that they are only "into themselves". and because a person is obesed doesn't mean that they are gross. I am a mother of two teenagers, 32 years old and I weigh 110 lbs and I am 5'2. I have had a high metabolizem all my life, I didn't get over a 100lbs until I was 30 years old. My grandmother weighs 285lbs and is 5'1 she is a diabetic. This is life. Now if a person is going around making themselves throw up or just not eating to be skinny or over eating and not taking care of themselves than that's another thing, but body weight does not have a bearing on a persons personality. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Old August 15th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Okay I think this post is getting as long and outwinded as the father being kicked off one!!

captangel

CARNIVAL DESTINY
Old August 15th, 2003, 07:54 PM
First Mate

Is the fate of a discussion decided by acclamation or shouts of disapproval now? Just out of curiousity, cap'n, why is topic you found worth replying to a few weeks ago and which Sheila found worth replying to today now long and outwinded? Can't you just ignore it if you're not interested?

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old August 15th, 2003, 09:51 PM
First Mate

I am not the same Sheila that wrote the post about the father being kicked off the boat. Just have the same name.

Old August 15th, 2003, 10:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

OUCH!!! You are sooo right and apparently I have a problem!! I am soooo sorry to offend you in anyway and I will not respond any more!! Once again I apologize for offending you or stepping out of line!
From now on I will stick my big nose out! I will only read and not reply!!
Once again I am soooo sorry!!!
Cheers,
captangel

CARNIVAL DESTINY
Old August 15th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh and by the way I never assumed that this Sheila was the other Shelia!!!
CATTY I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CARNIVAL DESTINY
Old August 17th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Passenger

Interesting topic...especially for me ( a fat person ) going on my first cruise in Dec.

Lets examine some proven facts...

In all societies, attractive people are rewarded...strange thing about it is that society
plays a major role in defining what attractive means.

In American society today, attractive people make friends easier, they land jobs
easier, etc. etc.

Sociologists have study after study proving this. TazRider is correct in saying that being overweight is the last accepted (legal?) great prejudice in America. I can't imagine it is as bad as cruisequeen sometimes gets (unfortunatly) as a little person, but the prejudice does travel down the same branch of the tree.

That being said, I find it interesting that many overweight people choose to dress in a way to accentuate their weight as oppose to minimize it. Yes, I know, to enjoy the pool one should put on a bathing suit...I do...but not a speedo.

To those of you who say, "overweight people should be able to wear whatever they want" and "if you are looking at other people while you should be enjoying cruises, you've got problems"..well you people ARE ABSOLUTLY RIGHT.....

but...

I don't always get to hang out with people like you...I have to face the rest of the world too, and people are...well...people, and they will do things and observe things and make judgements by what they observe.

I suspect we all do this to a degree. For myself, its all those people with metal and peircings, and rings, and whatever protruding from their faces (and other places). I bet there are some great people in that crowd, but I just am not inclined to go chat with them for the heck of it.

Now here is where it all comes to a head. Do I think negative things about those people? (as wrong as it may be?) Yes. Do I say something about it to them? No. Why? Becasue that would be rude. Rude. Disrespectful. Uncaring.

And those three words are really the problem...maybe we could add in "assuming"...but I am not sure. If a 450 pounder comes to the pool in a speedo or thong, I am going to notice...heck, everyone will notice. Would I ever do that? No way...I don't mind attention, but I want it for my sense of humor, or thoughtfull conversation or (wink) charming good looks. (sorry, couldn't resist) But I choose not purposely attract attention to my size. But if that person did, would I go tell them not to? NO. Why? Rude. Disrespectful. Uncaring.

Ok..sorry for the rant, but there is probably more than 2 cents worth.

If you are going to run with the big dogs, you had better learn to pee in the tall grass!
Old August 18th, 2003, 12:44 AM
TamiM

While on my Alaska Cruise in July, there where only a few people who really attracted my attention. The 8 to 10ish yr old boy dressed in formal Kilt (VERY CUTE). The very classy 50ish lady. AND the LARGE woman in too small black strech pants with black tee-shirt (including picture on back) in the dining room at dinner, thin greasy hair pulled back in a too-tight pony tail. NO one, thin or otherwise, should have been dressed this way in the dinning room! The outfit wasn't flattering on her, but I am a large person myself and understand how hard it is too find comfortable, affordable clothing. Anyway, I just said to my self, "oh, my Gosh!", and when back enjoying my dinner with my husband.
Old August 18th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Myles

I probably shouldn't say anything on this subject since I don't have a weight problem, but I would like to point out something. Our brains tend to play tricks on us and when we look in the mirror, we don't always see ourselves the way others do. We see an illusion of what we want to see. Sometimes the truth is just too painful or requires too much effort to change. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder whether real or fantasy. And that, my friends, is why we feel overweight folks sometimes dress inappropriately, but then almost everyone dresses inappropriately at one time or another, regardless of their weight.
Old August 23rd, 2003, 10:49 AM
Yeoman

I don't think it very nice to hear that some of you people feel it's o.k. to assume that thinner people are"into themselves" or that thin people are always"miserable becaue thy are dieting". Wrong . Some people are thin just because that's how they were made. Some people are not thin becasue that is the way THEY were made.

There are health issues with obesity but it seems to me that siting the health issues can be an insincere reason for for bringing up people's weight. People love to judge people , we all do at one time or another. It's an aspect of human nature that we all need to work against. It is as one poster said that "obesity is the one remaining legal prejudice" . That all said I have to be honest and admit that secretly I sometimes think " oh why is that very big person(fat) taking a second dessert " .I know that this is not nice and I do try and catch myself and say , "don't be so shallow they might be a really nice person with a hormone problem"But really even if it isn't a gland problem it still is not right for me or anyone else to judge a person based on their appearence.

That all said the one thing that does bug me is when I see a very big person with their children and they are buying their 5 year old an obsence amount of food, I have seen a large lady order her very young child( 5ish) 2 big macs and a milk shake. Just setting up the next generation with a life of being teased and unhealthy. I think that it is just too sad.
Old August 25th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Stay home if you're FAT!

I don't think anyone would debate the issue with those who are hormonally disfunctional. But for Pete's sake, most of the fat folks are so because of poor behavioral habits (IMHO).

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 25th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Stay home if you're FAT!

Very true, but that is their problem.
Old September 8th, 2003, 12:48 AM
Lamyka

Im so happy you care about my health!!!! Do u go to people who smoke,drink excessively,have unprotected sex ect.......... and say the same things about being healty to them because their doing harm to their temples also.Being overweight obviously gives everyone else the right to comment on what they wear,how and what they should eat and so forth.... let me live with my fat in the right places.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 07:19 AM
Passenger

Wow! What a great post! I have gained some weight over the last 3 yrs. due to chemo & radiation, and I have been frantically trying to get this weight off b/4 our cruise, so I can feel remotely comfortable around the pool area, as I too love the hot tub. After reading this and the other posts, I feel a lot better. And, how I look at that time is how I look, and if the "skinny" patrol doesn't like it, too bad!!!...
Old October 4th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to StevieSegel Send a message via Yahoo to StevieSegel

According to the CDC in Atlanta -- 65% of the US population between the ages of 20-74 are either overweight or obese.

Do you know what that means????

*****WE ARE THE MAJORITY !!!! Neener-neener-neener!*****

But seriously folks, I got no problems with ANYBODY on vacations.

I plan to spend time snorkeling in a bathing suit. Mind you, it ain't no string bikini.....a one piece with longish swim shorts if you please Same with my hubby, who isn't exactly a shrimp

If anyone has a problem getting past our body images...you missed the opportunity to meet two fun folks on vacation

(should I even bring up what some people think of me as a woman with tattoos, or should that be a whole other thread????)

Stephanie
StevieSegel@aol.com
12/03 - Celebrity Mercury/Mexican Riviera
Old October 5th, 2003, 11:27 PM
mq

Boy, there are a lot of hypocrits on this thread. I see a lot of mean comments towards skinny people. How is that any better than being mean to fat people? Oh well, this is the gripe board. Maybe the title of the thread should be "Stay home if you're skinny"

What I don't get (whether your skinny or fat) is that people don't dress according to their body types. My problem area is saddle bags. That means a 1 piece swimsuit isn't any better than a bikini. Dresses usually don't work for me because my top half isn't the same size as my bottom half. I don't wear slim skirts, I wear more "A" frame shape or looser flowing skirts. I just don't get how people haven't caught on to what works. I really don't care all that much about fashion, but why spend money on clothes that don't look right when I can by something that does.

I see so much criticism about people that don't dress up on formal night. Have you seen some of the formal wear? Most of it for women is sequins, or satin and other types of shiny material. HELLO!!! Those materials make everyone look fatter than they are. I don't agree with the theory that people look nicer when they dress up. Most don't look good because they don't know how to pick out their clothes.

Maybe I'm one of the critical people you all are speaking of, but I think it's constructive criticism.
Old October 7th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Passenger

I put a post re: the "skinny patrol", and the more I read these posts, the more I realize it's not "skinny people" w/the "fat" problem....it's "ignorant" people! I agree that if one is heavy, to not wear a thong. Heavy people can dress nicely, and still enjoy themselves. It's these ignorant people that stare, and make crude comments (especially when we eat) that makes us/them feel bad about even being seen in public. I hated going thru this growing up, and figured as adults, we could all just accept each other, and have a great time in this short lifetime of ours. Apparently not! As I've said b/4....if you don't like what you see, please go somewhere else....I'm on vacation!....

Old October 10th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Padme_Amidala_Skywalker

This whole tread is just sad. Most of us aren't gorgeous. We all have things wrong with us.
Old October 10th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Close your eyes when you talk to someone and you can hear what they are, intern open them and you will see who they appear to be. Which one tells you the most about the person your dealing with? Your answer will tell you alot about yourself as well.
Old October 19th, 2003, 12:45 AM
KerryM

I, for one, am overweight. Not too much, but I can tell you that I'll never see the downside of a size 10. I've been on alot of cruises, and never worried about what other people wore or how they looked. But I can tell you, that I've also been to other countries and even the overweight people wore thongs and/or 2 piece swimsuits.

I was simply amazed! But it was great because they had so much self-confidence and respect for themselves. It doesn't mean that I would run home and find a thong (I confuse them with the ones for my feet) to put on. It simply means that they thought enough of themselves, not to hide away from having a fun time or worrying about what other people would say.

I'm going on my next cruise in three weeks and I was concerned because one of my favorite people wasn't sure she wanted to go because she was overweight. I'm so glad for these boards, because she called last night and gave me the fantastic news that she will be on board.

Life is way too short to worry about other people and their weight/height issues. Have a wonderful time on all your future cruises.