Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2003, 07:51 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie
Default Re: Stay home if you're FAT!

Im a chubby girl and I have only dated 1 looser! lol
Old November 25th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Admiral

I'd rather be with a large, wonderful person than a skinny, obnoxious one, the only request I have is PLEASE wear clothes that fit...seems that lately I've been forced to observe overweight people who for some reason think they look great in a middrift top...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old November 25th, 2003, 10:52 PM
DebC

"I've been forced to observe overweight people who for some reason think they look great in a middrift top..."

Hey - You just described half the female population of Puerto Rico!!!! <grin>
Gotta love it here, very few body hangups. Women are round in San Juan!

By the way, my thought when someone remarks on "she really shouldn't wear that because she's too fat" is - What makes you think her purpose in life is to decorate YOUR world?

DebC
Old November 25th, 2003, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Stay home if you're FAT!

I come from fat city (San Antonio), but I have never been forced to observe anyone, fat or not! Live your life as best you can and allow others to do the same.
Old November 27th, 2003, 08:53 AM
First Mate

I am not a light weight, but I really do think its gross when heavy people wear clothes that reveal their midriff, or wear skimpy bathing suits. That is something I would never do because I am heavy. There are many clothing stores with very stylish large clothes, so there is no excuse for trying to look sexy in clothes that do not fit.

Mary Margaret
Old December 1st, 2003, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Put down the fork and step away from the table....

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old December 1st, 2003, 08:22 PM
pinecone

OK--

I think this thread has run it's course (1 1/2 years old now--does not appear that anything new can be added.

I think we should now let this thread die in peace.
Old December 1st, 2003, 10:05 PM
First Mate

Actually the thread is only a few months old... the first post was on 5/7/03. But I do have to agree that this thread should die. There are always going to be rude inconsiderate people who don't think. We as a whole have to learn to ignore those who talk out of their A$$ (like some of those in previous posts) .

My chubby behind will be on a cruise in January! If ya don't like .......I could care less!
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Gary Karschnick

Come on the cruise and enjoy yourself, but please don't show up at the pool wearing a thong. It scares the kids!
Old December 8th, 2003, 11:04 AM
First Mate

Gary,
THongs on anybody tends to scare children. I mean they even scare me so you don't have to worry bout that and since I will respect other people and wear a thong.

MEN PLEASE DO NOT WEAR A SPEEDO IT SCARES 99% OF THOSE AROUND YOU!
Old December 8th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Admiral

I guess this subject and the ones about the dress code will go on forever. If your are fat or thin, wear whatever you wish. Even if they let you into the dining room in a thong, I probably wouldn't notice. I would be too busy reading the menu and eating my own dinner.

Life is too short to be concerned about other people!
Old December 8th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Guess I am the 1 percent who isn't scared and doesn't care.
Old December 11th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Passenger

Nope Paul, I agree with you 100%!!! I could not care less what others are wearing. I just wish others felt the same way. It seems that my wardrobe will make or break some folks cruises???

Old December 12th, 2003, 01:39 AM
First Mate

Here's an illustration for those who think how you dress doesn't contribute to the ambience of a restaurant.

Suppose you were to spend a lot of dough to have a special night out at a fancy dining place. You wear your most elegant costume. You order fine wine and a fabulous 5-course meal and sit down for a great dining experience in beautiful surroundings. Now they seat a couple next to you who are dressed like they just came back from a hayride. Does it spoil the mood in any way? Does it make you feel it wasn't worth the effort of dressing up? If you've never been to a formal restaurant or it just isn't your thing, you'll probably say you could care less. But there are others who appreciate a special dining experience and might feel disappointed.

The owner would be rightly worried if in the inappropriate dress of a few patrons hurt the restaurant's reputation. I think cruise lines like to strike a balance between casual and formal in order to offer something extra to those who enjoy that refined atmosphere on occasion. Cruising should be something out of the ordinary.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Perfectly summarized tr! Perfect!
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Admiral

I do think that we have strayed away from the basic subject and back to the old, old one about dress in the dining room. However, whether it be thongs, speedo on hairy men, really large people in tutus or jeans in the dining room, I feel I have no right to judge others or to tell them what to do.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but ugly clothes don't hurt me!
Old December 12th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Imagine the looks we get when my beautiful 300 lb. wife wears her thong into the dining room, leans back in the chair, props her feet on the table and starts drinking from the bottle of Boone's Farm. I think someone at the table is judging. <wink>

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 12th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Admiral

A hairy lady in a speedo!!!!!
Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:26 PM
machllz

OK, I don' t hate overweight people, however, wearing clothing that DOES NOT fit their body style (ie, wearing a bikini with mounds of fat rolling over the top) is not only an eye sore but really makes me cringe. Now, and overweight person wearing an APPROPRIATE bathing suit is more tolerable. Don't mean to be judgemental but COME ON, we have all been at the beach, water slides etc. and seen the sight and I know those of you ready to rip my head off for saying this have thought to yourself that it really is not appropriate. Now I didn't say they shouldn't be allowed on a cruise ship, I am just saying I am not going to feel bad for looking at them and thinking TO MYSELF, that it is just NASTY! Just my opinion:
From someone who knows how to dress for their body style so as not to scare anyone.
Old December 28th, 2003, 09:16 AM
SheilaManhattan

Some of you seem genuinely torn up over seeing the heavier-set in skimpy swimwear. I can't help but notice that a few do *not* seem to be joking in their rants, and one has to wonder: are you going to make it? lol

Don't let it get to you!

Sheila
SugarFreeSheila.com
Old December 29th, 2003, 01:22 AM
rigs32

What I don't understand are the people (especially men) who think healthy weight women are "fat". The average size woman is a 12/14 in the US, yet I've heard many people criticize anyone over a 6/8. My skeleton could not wear a size four. Is that my fault?
Old January 4th, 2004, 06:29 AM
First Mate

I wish I had never started reading this. My husband and I are planning our second cruise for this summer. Our first cruise on Dawn Princess was wonderful. I think I was fatter then than I am now, and I am obese. I never noticed anyone looking at me disdainfully on board ship. Maybe I was just having too good a time to notice. I wear a regular swim suit at the pool. I have disgusting scars on my legs from major surgery. (OK, my friends say they are not so disgusting, but I am well aware of them). I usually wear a cover-up, but take it off to go into the pool or hot tub. I will wear shorts if it is hot out. Should I warn everything on our next cruise that there will be an obese woman, who is usually considered to be very warm and friendly, on board so they can make sure they are not at my seating.? Should I also post when I will be at the pool so they do not have to look at me? If it is hot out, I plan to wear sleeveless tops and shorts. Maybe some people will want to cancel the cruise so they will not have to look at me. I plan to still go, wear what I feel is appropriate, and have a great time!!!!
Old January 4th, 2004, 10:07 AM
First Mate

BobbieE,
I am also a heavy person and so are my mother and father. Luckily we have never encountered any negative remarks. But as every person knows your always going to encounter an ass somewhere. I think the main complaint..which i tend to agree with is that fact that a person who is a size 32 really shouldn't be wearing a bikini. But then again I think what a person wears is a personal choice and if I don't like it I should look away. So please do not fee uncomfortable or start deeply analyzing the way people were on your cruise or any future ones.
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Admiral

I have no right to criticize other people for being short, tall, round, square, black, white, yellow, green or fat! I don't think others should either. But, again, that is their business, not mine!

Live and let live!
Old January 4th, 2004, 04:17 PM
First Mate

Cassie,
Thank you so much for your concern. I should have realized before writing what I did, that readers do not know me. Much of what I said was sarcastic. If people do not want to see me, then they can stay home. Thanks again.
Bobbie
Old January 5th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Re: Re: Re: Stay home if you're FAT!

Paul B,

I agree, people have no choice whether they are tall, short or what color they are. (except for sunbathing of course) Being fat though is a choice for most. I could be fat if I wanted but I choose not to be fat.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old January 5th, 2004, 01:47 PM
First Mate

I agree with you that SOME people do choose to be fat. Others like me have been battling weight problems their whole lives due to health issues that make it practically impossible to loose the weight. You can very rarely tell by the look of some one if a medical issue has to due with their weight gain. There for unless some one knows the facts they should keep their mouths shut. I have been seriously over weight and seriously under. I prefer being overweight (not seriously) like I am now.

I will not wear a bikini out of respect for myself and others. But I will be wearing a bathing suit. If people donít like it... thereís a lot of other things to look at on the ship.

Happy Sailing!
Old January 7th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SAndrea91483

I agree with you. I'm obese. I've been rather large for most of my life. That doesn't mean I can't have fun. When my fiance invited me to go on a Disney Cruise with him and his family last June, I wasn't going to turn it down just because I don't look like a model in a bathing suit. I found a suit that flattered me, and had just as much fun as any thinner person on board the ship.

Old January 7th, 2004, 08:11 PM
First Mate

Oh my God! Thatís the answer! It's So Simple! I just have to eat less and move more! Thank You Sooooo Much! (Just to let you know the above is sarcasmÖjust in case those special people out there didnít understand.)

Anywho if it were that simple there wouldnít be so many people overweight and I definitely would not be overweight seeing I work four jobs and donít eat over two meals a day. Many things play a role in weight gain; food isnít always the main cause.
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:28 PM
First Mate

no i was talking about what I said. Im glad you lost 85lbs. But I have done just that, I have worked 4 jobs at one time and hardly eaten a thing and the weight still didn't come off. THe same thing doesn't work for everyone.