Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Default Resort casual dress is disappearing.

There's been a lot of discussion about dress for dinner on these boards. Carnival Fantasy now has a night in their trip where it was announced the previous night that shorts will be permitted in the dining room the following night.

What do you think?

Regards,
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Captain

Default Re: Resort casual dress is disappearing.

They had announced on the Victory in Jan that one night you could wear shorts, however it was because you stayed in port late and they knew the majority of people would be on shore and not in the dining room. They also knew that some of the tours did not return until dinner time and people would not have the time to change. There were very few people in the dining room that night. Actually one table for twelve looked a little funny because only one person showed up. The rest were in town.
Old June 24th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Wow that's great. Gram and I usually come in from a port stop in wet bathing suits, sand in our shoes and carrying a couple of wet towels. Do you think anybody would mind if we headed straight to the dining room? Sometimes my tee shirt is a bit wet.
Do you think it is ok to take it off and put it over the back of my chair to dry while we eat?
Will there be a place set aside in the main dining room for me to check my dive bag or
can i just keep it in the corner of the table?
Seriously, Gram and I were a bit taken back by the "outfits " on about 25% of the passengers in the Dining Room on Legend last month even without telling folks that shorts were ok. I can't even imagine what passengers will wear to dinner if someone announces shorts are ok.
Old June 24th, 2003, 07:48 PM
First Mate

I DON'T CARE....it really does not matter to me if the table next to me is in shorts, neru jacket or kilts....as long as everyone behaves well, and acts nice to each other I do not care. I will dress up for dinner, but does not mean everyone has to. I am more angry at the people that waltz in late to dinner every night..now that is rude!

I dress up, but I really do not enjoy wearing a dress, and my husband is not fond of the suit, but we do it anyway.

Mary Margaret
Old June 24th, 2003, 09:28 PM
Admiral

They made the announcement the last night of the cruise!

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 25th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Admiral

I just don't get it. What is oooh sooo difficult about throwing on a pair of casual slacks a polo shirt and sandals or a sundress and sandals when you get out of the shower as opposed to throwing on a pair of shorts a shirt and sandals??? please help!!!!
Old June 25th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Admiral

I'm rebelling, you'll never get me out of my dockers and polo **** or my jacket and tie. {{grin}}
Old June 26th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Yeoman

Now here's a new concept for those Windjammer dining room-style dressers.

The cruise ships should serve dinner on the tender boats and all those who want to wear shirts (or no shirts...yuk) ,shorts, sandals, snorkel gear or whatever can dine on these boats.

And of course this is all part of the cruise price (no additional charge required).
Old June 26th, 2003, 06:08 PM
tjb

I think that the food you are eating doesn't know what you are wearing anyway and it doesn't care. I think alot of people that want all the dress up must not go to fine dinner when off the cruise ship. Don't Worry Be Happy!!!!!!! All this crap about omg people don't dress up you are the same person if you have on a tux or regular cloths. Don't try to be something your not. You hear all these people talk about how much the spend on cloths before a cruise then they never wear them until the next trip. This tell me something, just think if they spent that on other things on the crusie how much more enjoyable it would be. When I am on vaction I like to relax and get out of the stuffy cloths. At my counrty club you can't wear jeans, we don't go for dinner because we tend to be more casual. Look at all they are losing all because of what someone is wearing.
Old June 27th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Admiral

tjb, please tell me which cruise ship you are sailing so I can make sure to avoid it.

marc
Old June 27th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Admiral

excuse me tjb but i would image that you just insulted a large group of very nice people who like to go out to dinner at nice restaurants when they are at home, who take the time and make the effort to get dressed-up when they attend a wedding or party, and who like to get dressed-up for a special dinner on a cruise ship. We are intelligent, well-manner and savy shoppers who don't mortgage the house to buy clothes for a cruise, get real haven't you heard of sales and bargains!

P.S. Mark - Richard and I would love to cruise with you, you will recognize us, Richard will have on Dockers and a polo shirt and i will be in a sundress w/ a sweater and sandals.
Old June 27th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Admiral

I wonder if maybe the night that shorts are allowed might be an Hawaiian themed night--shorts and Hawaiian shirts. I was best man at a wedding like that, a year ago. Everyone in the wedding party had to wear khaki shorts, straw hats, and Hawaiian shirts. It was a blast!

And, though I rarely wear long pants from May through October, I do change into appropriate attire for dinner aboard ship, up to formal attire on the appropriate night. It adds a little bulk to the baggage but it is a part of the cruise expectation--'nuff said.

Steve

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Old June 27th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Admiral

People should dress properly for the occassion. If it's fine dining, wear a dress and suit, if it's McDonalds, wear shorts and t-shirts.

There was one young man at the newlywed table next to ours who wore a ballcap backwards everynight of the cruise, including formal night. Sheeeesh.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 28th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Captain

The only times I have seen "shorts permitted" in any ship's dining room involved ships with late departures, and subsequent late permitted embarkation times to allow distant guests to get to the port in one day without an "overnighter" at the port. This happened during the summer here in the US, so many guests flew in shorts. Because these were rather large ships, and not everyone's bags could be delivered to the rooms before dinner. Therefore, the first nights dinner was "come as you are", out of necessity. Other than that, I've never seen it, and don't think I want to see it.

Thanks,
Richard
Old June 29th, 2003, 10:46 AM
dt61

WOW....for a minute i thought you guys were talking about murderers or wife beaters on cruises ("please tell me what ship youre on so i can avoid it".."i would imagine you insulted a large group of nice people"...) imagine my relief when i found out it was only about people not dressing up in the dining room.

I for one can assure you that what you wear will make no difference to me on my cruise. im usually having too much fun to care. all i care is that you:
1. TRY and be nice to the other people onboard
2. DONT blow up the ship
3. Make it to dinner ontime (for the waiters sake...not mine)
4. Leave your cell phone home
5. Take care of your OWN darn kids.

In your own mind, you may think you're dressed up simply because you have a tie and coat or a dress on. But some people may think you look like crap because of the choices in fabric...style...or cut you made. Lets not get to the point where THAT makes a difference and RUINS peoples cruises as well.

Lets just thank GOD that we are able to afford to take cruises. (And as i recall...HE didnt care what you wore to church....just that YOU CAME)
Old June 29th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Resort casual dress is disappearing.

I love your comments and would like to dine with you regardless of what either of us is wearing!!!!
Old June 29th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Browezilla

In general, I would prefer for the dining room to require typical upscale restaurant attire, business casual to formal. As nice as these restaurants are, it just seems out of place to me to see people in shorts. However, I would also want dinner available in a more casual restaurant for those times that I really just want some fuel/food, and really don't care that it is fine dining. RCCL now has this in their Voyager-class ships where the buffet is open during dinner hours, and I imagine that is what NCL is doing with their Free Style Dining. In a nutshell, I don't feel people should be forced to dress up for dinner, but they should dress appropriately for the venue. That said, I'm sure this would be a huge challenge for the cruise industry to be able to offer everyone a seat in the fine dining room as well as the buffet lines.
Old June 29th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Sooshie

I could really care less what anyone wears as long as they are presentable...No body odor, close your mouth when you chew, don't use your sleeve as your napkin and for goodness sake I don't care which fork you use as long as you use one!
Old August 21st, 2003, 12:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

After reading hundreds of replies to this topic I am of the mind to agree with you Sooshie. I will be cruising with my wife and 3 children aged 18 to 21. We will be wearing coats and ties/ nice dresses on formal nights. What anyone else wears is of no concern to me, more importantly will be how they act. Hygiene counts too and the dinning room is NOT the topless deck, also I don't care to hear about surgical procedures and other inappropiate topics in the dinning room. Comparitively, people wearing shorts won't bother me at all.
Old August 21st, 2003, 07:07 AM
Passenger

If you are going to let what a guy three tables over from you is wearing bother you in the least, you are going to go through life being rather miserable. We get real dressed up and get our pictures done every formal night, however if someone else chooses to go to diner for the sole purpose of eating (not making it an event as most people do), that is fine with me. I mean there are alternative dining areas but the food there is not nearly as good. Why should someone who does not feel like dressing up be denied some of the better food of the cruise. And do not respond by saying that just have people come in from the beach in bathing suits full of sand, people are not doing that, they may not be dressed as well as you but who cares. Turning your nose up at someone because you do not like the way thier dressed rude and inappropriate.
Old August 21st, 2003, 10:18 AM
Admiral

i think that we are missing the point, its all about common courtesy, respect for others and following the rules. I really don't care what someone across the dining room from me is wearing, i am centering my attention on my dining companions and my meal. We do make the effort and we follow the dress code posted for the evening because we want to, its the right thing to do and we do it out of respect for our fellow passengers.
This is a hot topic and i think we all need to just express our thoughts and opinions, don't berate anyone for their opinion and don't jump down their throats if they disagree with you. Be kind to one another, we are all eachother has in this world.
Old August 21st, 2003, 06:50 PM
Henry

I have been on nine cruises and i have not dressed formaly for dinner. On formal nights i go to a different place to eat. No problem.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 12:56 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Just a thought here, but what about people whose luggage has been lost (either by the cruise line or the airline)? Through no fault of their own they have to make do with very casual clothes until their luggage is retrieved (if at all - this happened to a family on my Millie cruise in 2001 - they NEVER recovered their luggage - two adults and two children under the age of 9.) Should they be banned from the main dining room because their luggage never showed up? Would people show compassion for them or have them eat in the buffet or in the cabin because of something that was not their fauilt?

I am not saying that this is the reason for all the people who don't follow the recommended dress code, but do we really know all the time why people are wearing what they do? I think sometimes we all need to take a deep breath and relax....no one is omnipotent. jmho

(btw - just to set the record straight, I try to adhere to the dress codes recommended, but if someone has a problem with a glittery blouse and nice silk slacks on a formal night, then that is their problem, not mine!)

Post Edited (08-22-03 00:59)
Old October 3rd, 2003, 07:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you are that concerned about dress, maybe you should think about a high end cruise line where you can be in good, appropriately dressed company!
Old October 3rd, 2003, 11:50 PM
Jim Munkittrick

Wanna bet Salem with back off his/her 'I don't care" attitude when that somebody in the tee shirt also reeks of B-O having just spent 8 hours laying in the sun and then coming directly to the dining room?

What the heck is this, "I don't care' garbage? Did our mama and papas not make an effort to teach us to respect others and observe even the minimal civilities with our fellow man?

It is called common courtesy. Clean-up..even if it is shorts..clean=up!

Just what we all want, let's lower the standards and just throw the food in a trough and we can all oink our way through the caribbean.
Old October 4th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Granny

I don't mind if people where shorts to dinner. As a lot of you have said, as long as the people are respectful and clean. I, however, enjoy looking presentable in a public setting, especailly while dining. I will continue to were a sundress or nice pants outfit to dinner.

Cruising in 13 days!!
Old October 6th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Admiral

unfortunatley we could go around and around forever on this topic. The cruise lines have a dress code for a reason, its not there for your amusement or your abuse. Its the stated policy, that's all there is to it. There are plenty of alternative dining venues for you to eat at if you do not wish to adhere to the dress code policy in the Main dining room. Look at it this way, would you go to say the "Tavern on the Green" in NYC in your shorts??? They have a stated dress code, so what is the difference? Its not a judgement call, its going by the rules,plain & simple.
Old October 6th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Captain

This is another area where different ships and itineraries have different dress codes, and the customer should check this out BEFORE booking to make sure the code won't be a problem for him/her. Then the customer should abide by it, if that cruise is chosen.

One thing I see in the future is the disappearance of formal night tradition; not because some don't like it, but because of ever increasing airline luggage weight and size limits, coupled with the lack of self service laundries for the casual clothing on most ships. This can make it virtually impossible to pack for multiple dress codes on a longer cruise, without running up a huge ship's laundry/cleaning bill.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 8th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Resort casual dress is disappearing.

Very well said!....

Old October 8th, 2003, 09:09 AM
lil_kydarlin

Just curious.... Can I wear my pajamas to breakfast? (just kidding, don't throw things)
Personally I do feel that clothes DO make a difference in behaviour. I believe I am more attentive of my behaviour (sit up a little straighter, more careful not to spill something on myself) if I'm wearing nicer clothes... the same applies to my son. When I put him in his church clothes he knows he must behave differently than if he's in his play clothes. I don't wear expensive clothes - but they are neat and clean... I think that's really all ANYONE is asking for here. That said, I probably won't be attending formal night as I will have a nine yr old with me and !st I don't think he would enjoy it, 2nd it takes up too much space to pack a formal dress, so we will attend the buffet that night. That is what I CHOOSE to do for convenience. Anyone else can choose to do the same.