Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2003, 07:26 PM
bayhook

Default booze in the bag

regarding the previous postings about sodas and alcohol. don't the cruise lines check your carry on bags for liquor? would they not confiscate your beer or liquor?
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2003, 08:01 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: booze in the bag

yes they probably would if it was in your carry on and if it wasn't wine or champagne. Unless things have changed you can bring wine or chapagne for a special occasions. Like a cruise is special. Otherwise I would stash it very very carefully in my checked luggage and don't go overboard about the amount you bring.
Old September 16th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Admiral

We had 2 six packs of Mike's hard Lemonade. Going thru the process the xray machine picked up on it. They told me since it was beer that I would have to give it up and will get it upon my return. I told them it was not beer and they looked at it and told me "oh, you will not get drunk off of this!" and let me thru. Then on another cruise we had a 6 pack of Citrona, we were drinking this while waiting in line (it was a long line out in the hot sun). By the time we got up to the checkin we still had 2 left. One gal told us we can't take it on board and another lady told us go ahead. We do however always take 2 bottles of champagne with us with no problem.
Old September 17th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Admiral

it all depends upon security, if they are having a good day they might let you "slip" thru with a couple of things in your carry-on luggage, if however they are having a bad day and the supervisor is lurking, you will be out of luck. If you feel the need to "smuggle" liquor aboard you would be better off putting it into your checked baggage.
Old September 17th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Captain

It varies by line. HAL, Oceania, and Radisson could care less if you bring alchoholic beverages onboard. No need to even hide it. Other lines are more "touchy" about this matter.

Thanks,
Richard
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Jim Munkittrick

By the way..putting it in your checked luggage ...if you are flying...is a sure way to lose it. Alcohol is considered flammable and therefore can be confiscated.

Bet bet...Don't worry about a bottle or two of booze, buy it on the ship, save yourself the grief.
Old September 18th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Captain

Jim and all:

As has been discussed at length on other threads on these boards, different lines have different policies about bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. Similarly, different lines have different policies about selling guests a bottle in their shops for onboard consumption. When this is possible, I agree that it is the way to go. Royal Caribbean will sell you a liter and allow you to take it to your room for a $9 fee over duty free prices. Still a good deal compared to home. HAL will sell guests a bottle and allow it to be taken to the room for a 20% fee over duty free. Of course, you can still buy the bottles on these lines for delivery to your room on the last day with no premium over duty free. But NCL, for example, will not sell guests a bottle on board to take to the room at ANY price. All are delivered on the last day.

So in summary, guests should check out their particular line's policies on buying a "room bottle" onboard before planning to do this. It is the way to go, if the cruise line will let you.

Thanks,
Richard
Old September 19th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: booze in the bag

Don't these policies change too often to be depended upon? I mean, when I was on the Sovereign last year we were not allowed to bring the bottle back to the room at any price. While on the Pride we were allowed to bring a bottle we had purchased in port to the room if we paid $8. Or they would deliver it the last night for no charge.

I never know the true and current policy. Sometimes I think the shop attendant or gangway security agent is just pocketing a little extra money when nobody's looking.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

My husband and I just returned from a cruise on Sovereign of the Seas. We packed a bottle of Gentleman Jack and a bottle of rum in our suitcase. They were there when we unpacked. We had no problem. We both like a little nip while getting ready for dinner. I don't know why the cruise lines have such a problem with bringing alcohol on board. I know on my cruise last year, my bar bill was MORE than the cruise price.
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Captain

Thomas:

There is much inconsistency from sailing to sailing on SOME of these lines, Royal Caribbean being the worst offender. Since June '01 their policies have been in a state of flux. Before that, you could buy for the room at duty free. Then you couldn't buy for the room onboard at all. Then, the $9 per liter surcharge comes and goes! On that line, you never know! Some lines are consistent, however. Can't buy it for the room on Carnival, and never could. Same for NCL.. HAL has had the 20% surcharge for room use forever, and Radisson has always just GIVEN you the bottles.

What has caused me to make some very negative posts on this subject before is not the rules themselves, but the fact that (on a few lines) they were constantly changing.

Thanks,
Richard
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:44 AM
char Hempler

Just my Opinion!! But I think there is way too much worry about a alcoholic drink! There is far more important things to worry about in this world! Happy Cruising everyone!!! Char
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Captain

char:

Well, the importance of availability and price of alcoholic drinks on cruises is a matter of personal preference. To some, it's not important at all. To others, it is. Odd thing, though. In 12 cruises, I've never encountered an obnoxious drunk. Just happy people.

Thanks,
Eichard
Old September 19th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Please Char.................way too much worry about an alcoholic drink?? (hiccup!) I woodn't cruzin if Ah coont (hiccup) get sim dranks. (hiccup). Nope, not this'in. (hiccup).

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 19th, 2003, 01:33 PM
char Hempler

Default Re: Re: booze in the bag

Sorry Thomas if I got carried away again! i had Alcoholic parents and tend to get mouthy about the drinks discussions. I am not a Snob about it and I do have an occassional drink. But some people just have a mission to have as much as they can possibly consume in a day or not happy. Again I do appologize if i hurt anyones feelings. Just a touchy subject with me. Thanks, Char
Old September 19th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Admiral

No problemo Char! A vacation, to some, is all about winding down from a wound up work life and cutting loose to do things one normally can't do. Or maybe to treat oneself to those special moments which can't be secured at home. Like massages or gambling. To others it's having a few too many drinks and dancing the night away with the spouse.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 19th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Dean Renner

Default Re: Re: Re: booze in the bag

Thomas,

Whatever the cruise line's stated policy, enforcement of that policy seems to vary between ships.

Some ships seem to be sticklers, and some just don't care! It not only varies between cruise lines, but the various ships as well..........

Dean
Old September 20th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Admiral

That's true, Dean. It's all too confusing.

REgards,
Thomas
Old September 20th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Admiral

I must say that I sympathize with char's viewpoint when it come to excessive drinking on (or off) the ship. And I have seen some blotto passengers on some of my cruises...even in the dining room!
Having a nip in one's cabin before or after dinner is one thing; drinking oneself into a stupor is something else.

I don't mean to go OT, but I can't believe how many times I've seen threads on the Destinations board written by people whose main objective on their cruise seems to be finding out "where to get drunk" in Cozumel or some other port. I am a social drinker as are many others, but I don't let the thought of "booze on board" possess me. So please don't feel bad, char, and there's no need to apologize. You ain't alone!

Jack

Norwegian Dream
Baltic Sea, Aug.'04

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old September 20th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Lottie Da

It seems lots of people need help with their liquor drinking. Putting booze in mouthwash bottles..how sad.
Old September 20th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Captain

Lottie:

I agree that booze in a mouthwash bottle is sad, but perhaps for a different reason. To me, it is sad that some cruise lines are more worried about guests "smuggling" on booze than anything else. For lines that don't want to be all inclusive or pretty much so, it's a shame that they can't follow Royal Caribbean's and HAL's lead and just sell you the stuff onboard, charge a reasonable premium over duty free to allow you to take it for room consumption. The line makes money. The guests are happy. It's a win-win situation.

Thanks,
Richard