Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:30 PM
Horseracer

Default A New (I hope) Gripe! - Warnings

I've seen a few of these posts as I've lurked about - someone fails to read the fine print, misunderstands it, or otherwise does something before or during their cruise that causes disappointment or even costs them money. They then decide it's the cruise line's fault and post a WARNING in big bold letters that the cruise line is totally unfair, evil, unjust, and probably supports *** besides, therefore no one should ever sail that line again. They get angry when others explain the error of their ways and describe how to avoid such situations. Of course, you only hear the parts of the story that cast the cruise line in a bad light.

**Edited to remove political reference. People on either side of the politial fence feel the cruiseline supports the opposition.
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2004, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: A New (I hope) Gripe! - Warnings

You're so right!

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 21st, 2004, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

When I read this kind of gripe, I usually re-read it and find that there are several things that went wrong, not just one. While it is certainly possible that problems do occur, the vehement poster seems to sometimes have a huge chip on their shoulder and the smallest thing sets them off.

So, from "my fish was bad", the leap to "they are trying to poison passengers" isn't far.

I take these posts with a grain of salt (and salt water).
Old January 21st, 2004, 03:35 PM
Horseracer

No sweat on the edit. Thanks, it could have been taken in many ways other than the spirit it was intended.
Old January 21st, 2004, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The one that gets to me is when weather is bad, therefore the cruiseline's fault. I've been on a few cruises where there was a port or two missed because of weather conditions, sure I was diappointed, but I'd never try to blame the cruiseline and or expect any kind of compensation??

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:14 PM
Admiral

There is a post on another board entitled "My top 10 complaints of the cruise." Amazingly, it really DOES have 10 complaints! And yes, one was how rough the water was!

I'm always amazed at people that have complaints and instead of complaining to the cruiseline (and probably having the problem fixed) they just brood....and then come home to swear they will NEVER cruise that line again.

Seems like there's been a good bit of Carnival bashing lately. Guess when you are the biggest you have the most passengers AND the most complaints.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 21st, 2004, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

I still give my standard answer to people who complain about petty things:

"Do you realize how lucky we are to be here? When you were 15, did you ever think you'd be able to do something this wonderful? Wasn't that just in the movies?"

I said that to a woman on the Maasdam last November and she said, "Well, if you look at it THAT way.....". Guess what? I DO!
Old January 22nd, 2004, 08:07 AM
Pea

It seems I have read a number of these types of posts in the last several days, from people being mistreated at the airport and blaming the cruiseline to people cancelling their cruise at the last minute because of dianosed cancer and blaming the cruiseline for not allowing them a cruise credit when they didn't buy insurance. I especially love the ones who say they won't cruise a certain line because of "chairhogs".

Sometimes, complainers are complainers. If the person has been online for a while, you can look of the history of their posts and see if complaining is a rule, not an exception. If I see past posts where the person seems to be reasonable and while not liking EVERYTHING, doesn't complain about everything, then I would give their recent post more credence. If past posts also reflect this "victim" attitude, then I give their recent posts little credence.

Pea
Old January 22nd, 2004, 11:52 AM
Admiral

That is so true Pea.

I own a business and love every single customer I have and do all I can to please them. Everyone that complains about something I take as an opportunity to get better. And I appreciate them telling me where I'm failing them.

But one time years ago I had a family that came in often and every time something was not right. Every single time they came in I was taking something off their bill or comping the dinner. After about a dozen times I finally said to them that although I appreciate their business it's become obvious to me I cannot satisfy them so I would suggest they do business some place else. They just could not ever, EVER, come in without complaining about something and wanting it for free.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:49 PM
Mark&Deb

Hey! The water was rough 2 days while we were at sea & it rained when we were in San Juan - I didn't know I could blame the cruiseline! Wow! Also - I think it was definately their fault that we gained weight on the cruise. Funny though - I heard so many complaints from people that wanted to shop & get their freebies while in Old San Juan to the fact that it was Three King's Day & many shops were closed. People said "we should have been told" Well it was raining on & off that day too - in fact we got caught in a DOWNPOUR while running back to our van. But you know what - we watched special dancer's, music, tried different foods & laughed our butts off about getting caught in the rain! So some people would rather complain than try to find some fun.

Mark&Deb
Old January 24th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Paul Beighley

Default Re: Re: A New (I hope) Gripe! - Warnings

Thomas, I rarely ever complain. If I come to your establishment and complain juast for the h**l of it, will you give me a free meal?
Old January 25th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Me too, Thomas! Me too!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 25th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Admiral

I'll give you 1/2 off after charging you double. Sound fair?

Regards,
Thomas