Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2004, 03:31 PM
First Mate

Default last minute hotel bookings

Since nobody is booking cruises for today I am working the hotels desk. Can someone explain to me how in the world someone can just wake up today and think they will get a cheap hotel in New York City, Las Vegas, Chicago, Orlando or other major cities. My thing is did you ever think of planning in advance.

splendor of the seas
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2005, 03:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: last minute hotel bookings

There are alot of people like that ... I work in a resort town at a major hotel ... I laugh to myself every time some one comes to the desk thinking that just because it 1 am in the morning, there should not only be rooms available but at half the price ... while I understand those that had a change in schedules that allows them to suddenly travel but be realistic about it ...

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old January 2nd, 2005, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Ah - shades of my restaurant life! I manage a very upscale golf course/restaurant and on New Year's Eve, about 3:00 in the afternoon, someone called and wanted a reservation for 30 at 7:30 that night! We didn't have room for 1 at 7:30, let alone 30!

Does make you wonder what or if people are thinking!

Happy New Year!
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:26 AM
First Mate

I will be ready when this happens next year as I am sure it will both of you.

splendor of the seas
Old January 3rd, 2005, 09:51 AM
First Mate

Sooner,

My husband is one of those people that waits until the last minute to get away and yes it does amaze me that he even expects to get a room. I have always been one to want to plan things in advance. There have been times he has gotten rooms at nearby ski resorts during the winter school break and he even got a discount because they wanted to rent the room rather than leave it empty. But there were other times that he was not able to get a room at all because they were completely booked. In his defense he was willing to pay market rate for the rooms, but he was surprised that there were none available. When he does that and wonders why he can't get a room, I do have to ask him if he thinks the resort is holding a room especially for him, just in case. My opinion is if you suddenly find yourself free to go do something at the last minute and you are able to get something, then great. If you can get a discounted rate even better, but don't expect to be able to get this everytime.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:33 PM
First Mate

two responses

1) sometimes it is fun to be spontaeous and just decide to up and go.
2) travel industy encourages the idea that it will be lower cost by advertising "last minute deals".

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Why is this on a cruising gripes board? Sorry if you are bored at work, but come on.

What has it to with cruising? There must be other boards you TA's can use.
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: Re: last minute hotel bookings

yup, David I agree again (this is becoming a really bad habit) - It is like me coming on here and saying ya know, this company is losing money, bad credit, their suppliers arent paying them, and they want a loan. (hmmm, that sounds like the airlines)

banker

Old January 5th, 2005, 06:00 PM
First Mate

David you seem to have a real promblem with TAs, but I am not only a TA but a cruiser and a customer. I just simply asked a question which pebs and tami answered. If you don't like the material I write you don't have to read it. But I will answer your question this has nothing to do with cruising if you don't consider cruising travel.

splendor of the seas
Old January 6th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Sorry, ousoonerfanintexas

But this is supposed to be a place where people can gripe about their cruise vacation, not a meeting place for people who sell vacations and want to gripe about those they sell them too and who make your salary.

Plus and real point,,,,,,,,,,, it had nothing at all to do with cruising.

Point me to one of your gripes that has not been about the people you serve or sell to.

I dont have a problem with TA's. Well maybe one problem,,,instead of posting here when bored, what have you being doing in this quiet time to make sure your cruise bookings are what your client expects to get when they arrive ????

And as I've said before you are not a TA, so dont mix that up. You work desks in a call centre, that is not a real TA. You work a job and desk and it appears you are unhappy, not only in your job, but US as the people you are dealing with.

Advice, change career, you've missed something

Post Edited (01-06-05 14:16)
Old January 6th, 2005, 02:13 PM
First Mate

O.K. Dave now some of my first post came off pretty brutal but not everything I post is not something negative about the people we deal with. However as much in here as people complain about TA I am showing what we deal with from another perspective that being someone that has an unrealistic expectation and can't figure out why they can't get what they want. Like a hotel in Time Square on new years eve at the last minute for under 200.00 a night. Or say a cruise over new years eve at the last minute for 299.00 PP.

splendor of the seas
Old January 6th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: last minute hotel bookings

Again sorry, if this seems personal,,,,,, but I dont care about all that. This is a CRUISE gripe board.

Gripes, should be what it is and not for you or others to complain about the people you sell vacations to
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:27 PM
First Mate

with all due respect DavidB, there have been plenty of other posting that have nothing to do with cruises...just kind of interesting.

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:36 AM
First Mate

David on one hand you are right but what are people complaining about in here? The people that they are in contact with to make thier cruise an enjoy expierence. All I am trying to say for people that are new cruisers and may read this is have realistic expectations you don't ask for a glass of wine and expect to pay the same price as a soda.

splendor of the seas
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Hi Pebbs, yeah fair enough.

Ousoonerfanintexas, I will take your point as no matter if its cruising or a hotel, people are cheap and want a deal. Accepted

But I still go with my original thoughts in that this is not the place for TA's griping

Take care both

David