Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default People who intentionally book triple and quad occupancy cabi

Here is a new gripe I haven't seen here......yet!

I've been reading on a couple of other sites about people who deliberately book triple and quad occupancy cabins specifically for the location and then cancel out the 3rd/4th people just before final payment is due and then REFUSE to be moved if someone needs that cabin. I think that is just plain selfish!

Now, if you book a triple/quad cabin with someone and the third/fourth have to cancel out for legitimate reasons, that is a different story. But those who book KNOWING they are going to cancel out the third/fourth should be ashamed of themselves. Their actions could potentially cause people from not booking a cruise because they cabin they NEED is occupied!

Post Edited (02-16-05 22:08)
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: People who intentionally book triple and quad occupancy

How can you tell which are qaud cabins? I'm going on the Celebration with three other people and have a qaud gaurantee but can't make any sense of the little dots and such that tell you.

I've never heard of that before but it makes me glad I booked in advance.

Celebration--Bahamas

I belive in unicorns, dragons, good men and all mythical creatures.
Old February 17th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I booked a quad last year on the Enchantment and again this year on the Sovereign. When I booked (early) there were always only three of us. It works good for me because I have a big bed on the floor and my kids each have their own bunk. I always look for location. This upcoming Sovereign cruise we are in 9582. It is the last cabin all the way aft portside. Walk out of our cabin and the entrance to adventure ocean is twenty steps away. It is next to the aft stairwell and elevators. Easy acces to everywhere except the Windjammer.

See the picture!

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 17th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

what's the difference between a quad and a double? They are the same size (i think...no no I'm pretty sure) and it's just the bedding arrangement that's different, quads have sofa beds that pull out right??

banker
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Depends on the ship. Usually you will have one (triple) or two (quad) bunks that fold out from the wall or down from the ceiling. As in my picture in my last post.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 17th, 2005, 05:08 PM
cali-croozer

I have heard of cruiselines moving people if they need those cabins for a group that actually needs the extra beds. Which makes sense........why turn away a family of 4 just because a couple wants a quad room.

This also applies to the handicap rooms. Sometimes, people are able to book them without a handicap but know they can be moved if somebody actually needs the room.
Old February 17th, 2005, 05:37 PM
First Mate

FYI...........they are the SAME size. Learning the map; It is a piece of cake. Read the the notations.
Sea angel
Old February 17th, 2005, 06:04 PM
patticake

we are going on the victory, carnival and we have nine of us. we have one quad room which is two bottom bunks and two top bunks. we have a room for three which has two single beds and they will be bringing in a rollaway bed. yes it is allowed on the victory as i have already had people tell they will not do that for safety reasons. our ta talked to carnival and on the newer ships the law is different for rollaway beds. we a have a very little person, 5 years old girl on the rollaway. the victory class ships still allow the rollaway bed.then my husband and i splurged and got a balcony room for us two with two twins i think.

i tried to get a quad for the three person room and they would not give us that for three people. we made our reservations early and had to give all the names for each room so i do not know how you could get a quad without actually haaving the people with names and birthdays.

all the cabins we got are on the same deck and are all the same size in square footage. just the nu;mber of beds and layout of furniture is different.
Old February 18th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Another reason to go on Royal caribbean I guess.....

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 18th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall

What these people are doing is booking 4 people in a cabin fully intending to cancel out two people just before final payment - and then refuse to budge out of the cabin if someone needs it later. There are posts on another cruise website about doing this and these people are bragging that they are getting away with it.

Old February 18th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Except for family suites, I don't think any of the mass market cruise line's cabins are any larger for their triples or quads. Same size cabins, just configured differently.

I could be wrong... but if there are any that are larger, I've never seen them.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Lisa,

What is the point? The cabin is no bigger. I have never done that. I look for a quad so I can have a full size bed and my kids each have thier own bunk. I look for location. If they have to bump me beacuse someone really nneds the quad, I would be happy to accomodate but it hasn't happend. The ships don't usually sail 100% of all berths.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Laurie Qualls

i booked a cabin with balcony on diamond princess it says for three of us it says two twin beds on my ticket...i certainly hope the diamond has rollaways or that a bed comes down from the wall for my daughter or i will be very angry...
Old February 19th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Admiral

It's not about the size of the cabin - it is the principal of the thing. You book and hold a cabin that can hold four (I don't know - is the location that great and there is nothing else in the area that can appease them?) - and you really only are going to put TWO people in it, doesn't that prevent or make difficult someone who REALLLY needs that cabin with all the berths from booking it legitimately? I guess this is one of those me, me, me things....and I don't care about anyone else.

Old February 19th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Admiral

When we booked our upcoming cruise our ta reserved a specific cabin and I pointed out that it was a possible quad and I would like to be moved in case someone needed it - she thought I was a little weird, but moved me anyway. I feel the same way - the cruise line should be able to use their valuable space - or the prices will go up. tTFN Jennifer
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:24 AM
happy ks

On the flip side of this, we have been booked into a quad when we were only 2, tried to get out of it into a double, but they would not move us. I don't like having a quad cabin, many times the extra bunks are on the wall and it reduces head room in the cabin, DH has bumped his head more than once in these types of cabins.

I have no idea why anyone would want to book a quad when they are only a double. You can't really say location, because they are in the same areas as the doubles. Perhaps the OP was looking into booking when the ship was close to capacity, even then quad cabins would not be booked as a quad. Finally, my own opinion, I read this and other boards and have never seen this issue addressed before. Where are you finding this information?
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:32 PM
kellya

My sister and I booked an outside cabin on Majesty for a May '05 sailing. The travel agent got us this cabin due to location only, knowing it would just be my sister and myself. It just happens that this cabin can accomodate 3 people. I just inquired with the travel agent about adding another sister to our cabin, which already can accomodate 3 people. She is telling us that this third passenger has to be paid in full by 3/01 or NCL can refuse to let us add her after 3/01 "if they decide they have reached their passenger capacity." Has anybody ever heard of a cruise line refusing to take a 3rd passenger's money if they decide to book after the "paid in full" date? We already have this specific cabin booked and paid in full for two people. What's the harm in adding a 3rd, even days before sailing?
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:46 PM
cali-croozer

Never had that experience, but sounds weird to me. The berth is already there, why not get some more money for it.
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:14 AM
SarahJ

Cruiselines ususally don't ask people to move out of their cabin once they are booked into it. This is not nearly as bad as those who book handicapped cabins and do not need them.
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:16 AM
SarahJ

Sometimes it is difficult to not book a triple cabin. On somem of Princesses cruises, all the minisuites are triples and some are quads. When we sail, we are always booking a triple minisuite for just the 2 of us. There is no way around it.