Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cover Charge dining

I think it is so obnoxious for cruise lines to have these specialties restaurants on board. Almost as if they are saying, "Come on board we'll treat you like kings....but only if you give us just a little bit more". It should be the same service for everyone, not only those willing to pay extra for dinner. I fully understand a cruise line is a business that aims to make money. But it makes me mad because it is an admission that the service and food in the main dining room is not the best on purpose just to make a few more dollars.
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cover Charge dining

On the flip side if they were the same and they did not charge an extra fee then some people would dine there every night and you might well not get a chance to savor this experience.
Jim

Old March 19th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Cant see the complaint here, as it is an OPTION

No cruise i've ever been on has suffered re service etc, because of "alternative" dining.

What it does offer though is the choice to do something "special" for say an anniversary for that one night. I've never taken up the option, but nice to know its here
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:05 AM
Bruce Chafkin

I think its so obnoxious that the airlines have Business Class and First Class. Almost as if they are saying, "Come on board we'll treat you like kings....but only if you give us just a little bit more". It should be the same service for everyone, not only those willing to pay extra for a flight. I fully understand an airline is a business that aims to make money. But it makes me mad because it is an admission that the seats, service, and food in economy is not the best on purpose just to make a few more dollars.

I think its so obnoxious that the automobile companies offer more expensive models. Almost as if they are saying, "Buy a car and ride like you are kings....but only if you give us just a little bit more". It should be the same service for everyone, not only those willing to pay extra for a Mercedes. I fully understand an auto company is a business that aims to make money. But it makes me mad because it is an admission that the volkswagen is not the best on purpose just to make a few more dollars.

I think its so obnoxious that the hotels have club floors and suites. Almost as if they are saying, "Come stay with us and we'll treat you like kings....but only if you give us just a little bit more". It should be the same service for everyone, not only those willing to pay extra for a room. I fully understand the hotel is a business that aims to make money. But it makes me mad because it is an admission that the inexpensive rooms are not the best on purpose just to make a few more dollars.

I think its so obnoxious that the Broadway shows have higher prices for better seats. Almost as if they are saying, "Come to the show and we'll treat you like kings....but only if you give us just a little bit more". It should be the same service for everyone, not only those willing to pay extra for better seats. I fully understand the theatre is a business that aims to make money. But it makes me mad because it is an admission that the nosebleed seats behind the post are not the best on purpose just to make a few more dollars.

I think its so obnoxious that the sports stadiums charge extra to sit on the 50 yard line. Almost as if they are saying, "Come to the football game and we'll treat you like kings....but only if you give us just a little bit more". It should be the same service for everyone, not only those willing to pay extra for better seats. I fully understand a stadium is a business that aims to make money. But it makes me mad because it is an admission that the upper deck seats are not the best on purpose just to make a few more dollars.

Absolutely pathetic.......................................... ...............
Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:16 AM
Admiral

For me, the only advantage to the alternative dining is to have dinner with my wife, alone, without strangers at our table. Since I don't like dining alone with my wife I've never done alternative dining.

j/k

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:46 AM
venice

I think it's an additional revenue generator and helps with crowd control which results in better overall service (if our waiters have less guest to serve they can focus more on the guest they have)

At least you know the cruise line marketing people are earning their money (smile)
Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Cover Charge dining

My plebian tastes are such that I can't imagine food being so much better that that served in the dining room that I would be willing to pay $20 more for it. I have many other uses for my money.

Bruice, I loved your posting.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

I guess Bruce just doesn't see that the only reason for the cover charge dinning is to get more money out of you...
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

And I guess it also bothers me that the cruise line makes it seem as though they are offering this out of the goodness of their hearts. And it is very different from flying first class or getting nice seats at a baseball game. The way it is different is that when you take a cruise, you pay for your cabin (and other perks associated with that cabin), and the more you pay, the nicer the cabin is. It should be understood though that the price you pay for your cabin is meaningless in the dinning room...everyone is on equal ground. Because of this, the cruise lines realized they were missing out on shaking more pennies out of you because they realized some people would be gullible enough to actually pay for dinner...

So maybe it isn't even the cruise lines that I have the "gripe" with, it is the people who seem to think that it is so incredibly wonderful to pay for your dinner....which is already paid for!!!!!

Also, I thought this area was for "gripes", I didn't think it was "gripes followed by attacks if your gripe isn't the popular one"

Replying with "Absolutely Pathetic......." is rather unintelligent to me.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:44 PM
First Mate

So you can dish it out but you can't take it. If you don't want to eat in the alternative dining area and pay the extra then don't and laugh at those that do and yell SUCKER. What I am tired of is people acting like the cruiseline should pay them to go on a cruise.

splendor of the seas
Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

At no point did I suggest that they should pay for anything...just don't try to get me to pay more for what I've already paid for.

And to be honest, I don't have a problem with lots of other things you must pay extra for, like spa (even though I wouldn't go to a spa) appointments, alcohol, tips, bingo, etc...but for some reason, this alternative dinning really bothers me.

...but not as much as charging for soda...that bothers me much more than the cover charge dinning.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I won't pay extra for dinner either. it can't be that much better. Food is food. I would rather spend my money drinking.....

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:49 PM
Admiral

I disagree. These alternative restaurants are small and elegant. You can't serve thousands of people gourmet food. It's worth the extra money to have a special night out in a special room with better than average food.

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Anne, all food to me is better than average.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

See, even the above posting disagrees with me, she said: "special night out in a special room with better than average food"....my point is that the cruise is advertised that each night is supposed to be a special night with better than average food...that is what you should be experiencing anyway. It is saying that your food will just be average and your night won't be special unless you give us more money...
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:20 PM
First Mate

If you don't want to pay the cover charge then don't. But why be so angry with the cruiseline.

splendor of the seas
Old March 23rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Because I shouldn't have to pay extra to get special service...EVERYONE should get special service when on a cruise ship...that is how it is advertised and understood to be.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 10:47 PM
teenytine

Hey Thomas have you told your wife this????
Old March 24th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Familiar Face

"What I am tired of is people acting like the cruiseline should pay them to go on a cruise."

I vote "YES" and will accept any and all offers from any cruiseline!!!!!
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:44 PM
First Mate

"Because I shouldn't have to pay extra to get special service...EVERYONE should get special service when on a cruise ship...that is how it is advertised and understood to be."

That goes back to the first arguement from Bruce but I still have to disagree with you no where is it advertised that all food in all dining room is included in the price.

splendor of the seas