Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2005, 08:49 PM
quitecontrary

Default Re: Fat People spin off

OK, Try flying on a plane with Mr. Olympia wanna be's!!! See, here is the thing...me, DH, nephew (BIG, BIG, BODY BUILDER) and his pal Mike..(not quite so big but regular buff big) flew to Vegas for the 10/04 Mr. Olympia. There were a lot of GIANTS on that plane. Luckily, we had seats together and did not overwhelm, nor were overwhelmed by other passengers. However, saw many "regular" passengers squished by buff, body builders, all hepped up for the upcoming Mr. Olympia contest! Guess what, the big guys were revered, not mocked because of their size! Yes, I admit it, it is more fun to squeeze their biceps, than to pretend you fell asleep on a fatty arm... It seems if your bulk is muscle, not fat, you won't be challenged. That is because most people are cowards. OK to mock, pick on fattsos...not OK to pick on giant body builders....Seems fatties are not so scary as body builders!!! Trust me...body builders are big giant seat hogging guys...yes...they do SPILL over in their seat...just as uncomfortable as fatties...why does no one complain so freely about big buff guys like they do about fatties??
Old July 21st, 2005, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

Um let me think about that one for a second quitecontrary.

OK, I had to use all the logic and mental capacity at my disposal, but here's what I've come up with.

I am not likely to get my ass kicked by Fatty.

banker
(I was being funny, but the truth is I would be equally bothered by both, and I was raised too polite to say anything to either. That goes for most of the gripes on this board)
Old July 23rd, 2005, 02:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

That's no so hard to understand because the body-builders are a group that many envy and would like to join. Just to be close to them many males would tolerate the discomfort without complaint. It's something to do with the whole leader of the pack thing. That does not include myself, but I'm not so sure the regular people (men included) really were revering the big guys. Maybe they weren't smiling but grimacing. Perhaps those grunts were of annoyance and not encouragement. And trust me, not being a fan of the testosterone-excessive sports, if I had to be on a plane full of pumped-up Mr. Olympia wanna-be's, I would be much more miserable than with sitting with my seat neighbor's backside and belly squeezing me to the far-reaches of my seat like a cartoon character. It's a matter of degree.

I have never actually seen large people being mocked or verbally abused on an airplane. Not once, ever. For myself, I would say to the pumped-up Mr. Olympia contestants (I'm only grateful that I wasn't there) the same as I have said to the other people who have squeezed me and bumped me on airplanes and the same that has been said to me when I accidentally bumped someone on the head with my carry on--nothing, but I just might add on eye-rolling and loud sighing. Good manners and a peaceable trip require that everyone just get through it as best they can. I would actually come closer to saying something to a big galoot than a large person because you know they're not really going to hit you and that you're not going to hurt their feelings. But if the airlines start measuring the big guys across the shoulders and charge them extra, then I'll be glad of that too. And the other regular cowards on the plane will be glad not to have others' patellas banging them on the head.

Gigi
Old July 23rd, 2005, 04:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am sure Gigi that you did not mean to refer to those persons that are not in the fatty or the Olympias categories as "regular" people ... It just stroke me as funny when I saw that wording ...

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:54 AM
H and A

On a cruise I dont see that it is a poblem.

On a plane it can be. I am 6'2" tall and weigh 210 pounds and have no trouble fitting into a coach class airline seat.

I do however hate siting next to a person who is spilling over across my armrest and into my seat. I have been on planes where people have to lift both armrests to be able to fit..This makes it very uncomfortable for the people on either side. These people should have to pay for 2 seats instead of trying to take up half the seats on both sides of them also. I paid for my full seat and shouldnt have someones fat pressed up against me.

Im sorry if it makes some people feel bad about themselves but its not done out of meanness. Its a matter of courtesy for the people next to you who paid their fare for a full seat.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Someone may have already mentioned this...I am a large person and have been all my life...I pay a littler extra for my xxl and I am to the point that I think it is just a way for the manufacturer to make more money off the larger person..Have you ever heard of a manufacturer charge less for extra small or extra extra small or even extra medium? Hell no...lets gig the big persons.....It is called DISCRIMINATION.. Okay..I am through talking now.

Old July 23rd, 2005, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Fat People spin off

If they make fewer XXL than small medium or large shirts, it will probably cost the manufacturer more to make each unit. That is just a guess, since I know absoutely nothing
about making much of anything, particularly money.

Whether you are a body builder or a big body, if you require a seat and a half on a plane, you should pay for and use two seats.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi, Candy,

No, as a matter of fact we who are on the largish side actually would really qualify as "regular" since there are more of us. I should have used quotation marks as I was picking up wording from the Mr. Olympia post, but I always see quotations marks as throwing down a challenge of a person's words instead of responding--much like saying "so-called". It is kind of humorous.

Gigi
Old July 23rd, 2005, 04:28 PM
Pauley

Ive always thought it is a bit strange when people talk about "FAT DISCRIMINATION".

Outside of a few cases being fat is your own fault. If you let yourself get big enough to where you spill over into someone elses chair perhaps you should consider an exercise and diet modification? Why should someone on a plane have to share half their seat with you?

Next thing we know all fat people will be suing any restaurant that makes decent tasting food. (all food should taste bad so I dont have to practice self control)
Old July 23rd, 2005, 06:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Gigi,

Smile ... I kind of figured that ... like I said it just stuck me as funny ... I even laughed when I saw that term ... VBG

Discrimination is discrimination no matter who is at fault ... please do not judge ones physical attributes based on what you think is true ...

I think that it is interesting that "fat" seems to be the one area people still feel the need to flame ... what about that person that is so tall they have to sit at a slant and thier legs are in your space because there is not enough leg room ... what about the "skyscraper" hairdo or hat that keeps you from seeing over someones head ... what about the "battleship" feet that always seems to step on your feet as they slide past you in the aisle ... how do you charge these persons for blocking your view, cramping your legs and squashing your toes ... and what about that person that has a smell, be it from perfume, lack of mouthwash, smoking or lack of knowing what soap and water is, that just about gags you ... what will you charge them ... physical discomforts come in all forms ...

Interestingly enough, while restaurants, movie theaters, and ballparks, are making thier seats larger, the airline industry is making them smaller ...

Lack of sleep is causing this 3rd shifter to ramble, but I think some of you get my point ...

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old July 23rd, 2005, 09:45 PM
Admiral

I've been flying for a heck of a lot of years and I have never sat next to a Mr. Olympia wanna-be. Perhaps it's that reason you don't find anybody chastising body builders because we don't have any experience sitting next to them.

However, it would bother me the same if he was intruding on my space without my permission.

I don't think I've read anywhere here where people are criticising someone for being fat. The original post was asking if fat people should buy two seats if they can't fit into one? I think yes, since they are occupying two.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 24th, 2005, 08:30 PM
sea=u=later

What about Siammese twins? Seriously
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

Seriously?

Then it would be a universally accepted medical condition, similar to people who are physically challenged, and society does not charge more for wheelchair accessable etc.

There is still a lot of debate whether fatness is medical or lifestyle, or to what degree of each the characteristic of fatness is attributed to.

banker
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Admiral

The laws of physics still apply and the laws of conservation of energy cannot be dismissed by medical conditions. One must burn the calories taken in or they are stored as fat.

Regards,
Thomas