Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Passenger

Default Pool Chairs Gripe

What is the deal with people putting towels in pool chairs and then up and leaving them? Especially, when there are not enough chairs to go around. On my last cruise it took forever to find a chair. Shouldn't it be proper to simply toss someone things out of the chair if it is left unattented for longer than 15 minutes?
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Pool Chairs Gripe

Sorry Southernbelle, but this has beeen killed in the thread "Deck chairs and how to get one?" It is now above you
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Gary D.

Some cruise lines, in their brochures make mention of this situation. They too subcribe to the 15 minuet rule. They request that you ask a pool side attendant to remove the belongings, so there will be no problem with passengers touching each others property...I myself dont' have this problem, because I am rarely out of my cabin before 1130 or 12 noon. I tend to indulge in the nightime activities, and find the late evenings a great time to stroll the many decks of a ship, and get great photographs of the many public rooms, without other passengers in the pix.. I live in Southern California where the pacific shore, swimming pools, and warm, sun-filled clear days are abundant year round, so i guess i don't find laying out in the tropical sun a "top of the list activity while on a ship.. but how i love the ship board life so very much!

Old July 7th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

you're allowed to bring a deck chair to the shows???

Cool!

banker
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Zack

Thanks Banker for getting this back on track. The topic had shifted to people who "don't" need no stinking chairs because they are tanned and privileged.

I found that very few people are interested in waiting 15 minutes and then ask a pool side attendant to remove a towel. They assume if they are standing there and chair with a towel is empty, then it is available. Too many times I have seen people dump towels, books, drink holders, sunscreen and move the chair to cover their tracks. It has even happened to me once while I was in the pool. It was a temporary problem as I jumped out of the pool and explained the errors of their ways.

So there are not enough deck chairs. So sad, too bad. Get up earlier the next day. There is also not enough restrooms on deck if everyone had to go at once. So you stand in line or go to your room. It's life in the fast lane.

On the other hand....

The other scenario seems to be large families and large groups of teens that are determined to lay on 15 or 20 chairs side by side. So they have one person get up early and tie up chairs for the rest that sleep late and then eat a leisurely breakfast.

That's where the pool side attendant should be proactive and do something about that without asking or at least do something when asked. But don't count on it. Most of them just want to avoid confrontation.

Don't knock this gripe. New posters should feel free to start a new topic without having to read every thread ever posted. It's the closest thing to a real gripe we had in a while.
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Once the deck chairs have been brought down to the theatre it opens up a whole new bunch of problems. Getting past them in the theatre aisles, folks leaning back on the chairs and taking up more spacethan the ones that are left with the seatbacks upright. Then of course once the chairs are down in the theatre that leaves less chairs up on the deck around the pool. This is just a never ending cycle of horror.
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

papabill - Just for a moment, skip the theatre, and get directly to deck chairs in the dining room during dining.

Come now, be honest, who here has not had food in bed or while lying on the couch with a plate beside you and just kinda leaned over eating from it?? (any similarity to the fat people thread is purely coincidental, and not the view of this banker)

While tackling the issue of dining room deck chairs, say this to yourself real fast 10 times -

"dining room deck chairs during dining.......dining room deck chairs during dining"

banker
(Ha Ha - I just got all of you to actually say it to yourselves quickly)!!
Yes - small things..........
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Admiral

What if I leave my towel and one shoe and atrashy novel on the deck chair while it's in the theatre blocking the aisle - will anyone move it. Hope not or else I couldn't figure which one was mine. HMMMM! TTFN Jennifer
Old July 8th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Mickey from NY

Let me get this straight. I wake up early to get a chair poolside. I then decide to swim and hang out at the pool for about a half hour. Meanwhile some idiot is eyeing down my chair with a 15 minute timer? I dare someone to remove my contents from my chair that I woke up early and skipped breakfast just to get! I don't have to check in with my chair every 15 minutes, just to keep it safe.