Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2005, 04:00 PM
Passenger

Default read the last post on last page of the old rude NYers page

read the last post in the rude nyers page 2....anny comments feel free..............................
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: read the last post on last page of the old rude NYers pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinagain
read the last post in the rude nyers page 2....any comments feel free..............................
basically, I agree with you that New Yorkers are not really "rude" in the sense that most people define the word. They just act differently in public and tend to avoid eye contact and chit chat with strangers. But if you get to know them, they are usually as nice as anyone one else in the USA.

The THING is, though... as in any big city, there are always some crazies walking around. And since they don't wear signs identifying themselves, anyone can be one. I think NYers act the way they do because you never really know who you are getting involved with, and a few bad experiences make you more cautious.

By the way, when I lived there I would tell people that the way a scammer knows you're from out of town is to say "excuse me" from behind your back (for example). If you turn around he knows you are not from NY because any NYer would just keep on walking.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:12 PM
Admiral

If I ever went to NY I'd have a big target on my back . We Southerner's always say "excuse me", even to the little old ladies (or men) blocking the aisles in WalMart

I was in WalMart today, and no less than five of my fellow customers said "Hello" to me with a smile . Long live the South

I think I'd hate NY ,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old November 2nd, 2005, 11:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

Its true things are a bit different in NY. In fact its different in the NYC metro area. I live just outside of the city and even the people here usually dont chit chat at a store or say hello if you dont know them. I remember as a kid going to Florida and I went to a Wal Mart with my parents and I bought these stick-on glow in the dark starts for my bedroom celieng. Well the women at the register traeted me like I was a good old pal and just couldn't stop talking to me. So after she helped me I went to my mom and said what was her problem!!!! My mom was laughing and said that we are in a different state and people do act different.

I beleive its not that NY'ers are mean people we just live slightly different maybe more hectic life (that may be the wrong word). But even in the NY burbs people seem to treat everyone rather abrubtly and I never notice it until I travel somewhere else. But in New Yorks defense I have been in the middle of Manhattan and on the subways and have seen some very nice acts of kindness. I have also seen some craziness!! But NYC really is such a lovely place in all my travels I really love coming home to the NYC area. It a great place!
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am from upstate NY and I can say that I agree we are just different in every state in the us and act differently. I know speaking from only my view I unfortuntely do have a hectic lifestyle yes at times I thrive on it and it gives me a rush to live this way and we sometimes do not stop and smell the roses as much as we should and can miss things ( however I am trying to do this less and less) and I have traveled all over the world and seen just as many rude people in plenty of other states. This is a very beautifull state with many friendly kind and generous people.
I was in a resturant the other day ordering take out and a woman came up to the front and asked to use the resturants phone. The girl was new and did not have an answer for this woman, and said she needed to ask. This womans cell phone battery had died. I got the impression that the situation seemed urgent so I said here you can borrow my phone and i lent it to her. I went to the bar to wait for my take out and 5 minutes laster she comes up to me thanks me for my generoisty and then proceed to give me the very necklace she was wearing as a thank you. I protested but she insisted. Go figure I was not expecting anything more than a thank you and she gives me her necklace..we new yorkers can be generous and kind just like the rest of the country though you may have to look a little harder to find us
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Captain

Well, I just want to add an experience I had while flying out of JFK. I left my purse on the train and when I got back from my trip, there was a phone call letting me know that someone had turned it in.
Everything was still there and I had a significant amount of cash for traveling. I thought it was gone and the fact that I had it returned(untouched) in the middle of NYC really blew me away.
I was on the train car with a bunch of people who did not look or talk to each other but some good soul was in the midst of that"unfreindly" crowd.

I do think that southerners judge us and I don't know why we are all lumped into one group. I don't see northerners making comments on here about negative aspects of the south. I do notice a slight bit of antinorthern talk. To me, that is also rude. Making comments like "I would never go there" and "Now I know why I don't like the northeast" is not very gracious behavior in my book. I try to see us all as US citizens and don't separate people by region. I remember my parents were in TX and someone yelled, "Go home Yankee." Makes one feel real welcome.
K
Old November 4th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

We just got back from Washington DC, and we stayed with friends in Virginia. It's funny because DC is like a NorthEast metropolitan city with pretty much a NY attitude, but go 200 miles south and you are in Richmond, capital of the Confederacy.

Our friend has a friend who grew up there, and she never realized the word Yankee was a separate word. Here whole life she had heard it as "damnyankee".

I have lived in NYC and in Texas. Southern Hospitality is great, but this ridiculous southern attitude about "Yankees" is just hanging on to a notion that should have died years ago. If you walk around calling people from the north "Yankees", you are probably a "redneck".

Anne Campbell once left her purse in a NY taxi. The cabbie drove into the city from Brooklyn and returned it to her, and would not even take a reward.

And here's another thing - NYers have really changed since 911. It is like a different city. People look each other in the eye now, step back to let other people walk ahead and say "excuse me" much more than they used to.
Old November 4th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Passenger

thanks paul and everyone else that showed ignorance is the problem and vast stereotyping .... if you judge all from one you have a real distorted view in the end... thanks all
Old November 4th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Captain

We have met friends on cruises from NY, and have coordinated repeat cruises with them again! We have always found New Yorkers to actually be very friendly. And keep in mind that we live in Oklahoma! Of course, New Yorkers aren't just like Oklahomans. But if we wanted to ALWAYS hang out with the Okies, we'd just stay home! We actually learn from meeting folks from all over the country, and other countries, on ships ---- as wel as meeting folks in their native overseas countries in the ports.

In '03, we had a tight connection from a domestic flight to one to Nice, France at JFK airport in NY --- one really bad airport. No signs, no information booths, and employees that speak an unknown language (I know it's not English, Spanish, or German -- must be Klingon). We were "rescued" when we happened upon the Port Autority Police, who graciously offered to drive us to the terminal where our international flight was loading. And that is just one example I could give of how nice folks from NY really are.

Thanks,
Richard
Old November 5th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Well, I use the term Yankees as do many of my friends, including other 'Yankees'. I was born on the Mass/NH border. That said I have lived 'down south' since 1966. Usually we refer to them as 'yankees' when they come down for the winter and clog the streets and stores and yes they are pushy for the most part. It may be because many are elderly or whatever reason but we here can see it. Others are those that have retired and sold their homes 'up north' for $500.000-$750,000 and when they come down here they buy a motorhome for $150.000, a regular home for $250.000 and still have over $100,000 in their pockets and try to make everyone change their traditional way of doing things and living into what they experianced back where they used to live. "Yankees" and everyone is welcome but nobody likes it when they are told they now need to do it the way some other areas of the nation do it. There is no real resentment that arises from the Civil War anymore.
Jim
Old November 5th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Passenger

oh not you too jim...I thought for sure you would n't be part of the typecasting.....your better than that.. ..I know you aren't totally condeming all northerners rude,,especillay you being one yourself but, surely there are just as many southerners whom are not as southernly hospitable as they are usually thought of.. my point comes from you saying {they clog up the streets, or they ....} you see my point ..Now i know that there are rude NYers out there...and alot of them too but once again you cant stereotype all from one....I have two friend from the south whom were my housemates in college and they were complete opposites...one cooked and cleaned and was a really kind and generous and the other was rude , lazy, never cokked or cleaned,ect...but he was still a great friend of mine... point again being there are all kinds
Old November 5th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Not sterotyping, not my styyle. Just pointing out an observation that duriong the fall the streets and highways are full of 'people' going south and in the spring 'they' head north. Many are nice folks and probably most of them but I do see many very rude people and most of the time you do not hear a sourthen accent The culture is differant and you have to acknowledge that. It was a shock to me when I first moves to the Carolinas at how strange the people were. They spoke to you and asked how you were and really seemed to want to know. In addition they actually touched you! Some even put thier arms on your shoulders! I was convinced I was surrounded by deviants at first. I came to realize that the people were a genuinely warm and friendly people and very tolerant unless you called them a SOB, even in friendly terms. They would try to hurt you at that point! That 'greeting' is taken quite seriously. I have lived in the NE area, the west in Calif. and in the south being in the Carolinas and Florida and I have found the Southern culture to be one of warm, friendly, helpful, and rather tolerant people and prefer to live here rather than anyplace else in the USA.
Jim
Old November 5th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Captain

If you ever visit Austrailia, you will find that folks from Oz call all American's "Yanks" --- even those from well south of the Mason-Dixon line. And I've seen old WW II newsreel footage where all American soldiers are called "Yanks" or "Yankees." So even though I'm from the South, I don't mind being called Yank or Yankee ---- because in the broader international sense, these terms mean "American."

I've got to wonder what a person who does not like folks from other parts of the US are doing cruising. Wait till they meet some "foriegners."

Thanks,
Richard
Old November 8th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Admiral

Well, gosh, we went to the Big Apple for the first time earlier this year, and I must say, I was DISAPPOINTED that I did not meet any rude New Yorkers!!! There were tons of people on the street all hours of the day, and more than happy to direct us to good places to eat.

When we went to the Empire State Building, they could not come out fast us enough to direct us on how to get to the top. (My husband was in a wheelchair).

Also, when waiting to cross at the street (standing at a red light, silly us!!) a man started to cross and began to wave us along with him. When I pointed to the red light, he looked at me and said "Do you see any cars coming???" SOOOO I guess that made sense, so we certainly crossed on the red (when clear!) from that day forward!

NY is an exciting and wonderful town, and I can't wait to go back! And one of my best meals there was eating a hot dog with a steamed bun in the middle of Times Square!!!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old November 8th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Captain

JeanS:

Great report! We totally agree. Though we are southerners, we have found the folks in NY to be very nice and friendly. Of course, it is possible to run in to some rude people from any region of the country. Here in Oklahoma, we have got our share of rude folks! In fact, I think we've got more of them here than in NY. Maybe we ought to move?

Thanks,
Richard
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:43 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

Hi there,

Having travelled to many American cities on both business and holiays, I also have to say that I have alwasy found New Yorkers to be some of the most polite americans I have ever come across, both at home in NYC and abroad.

Always very friendly, helpful, last year talking about Blair/Bush allaicne and how wonderful Blair, we are. Maybe it is being British, not sure, but New Yorkers are sure a hell of a lot friendlier to us Brits than the Floridians who work around the Orlando circuit - they treat you like cattle even though as a tourist, you are very much their bread and butter in that part of Florida.

of course, many northe eastern americans may naturally have more of an infinity with the British being so much closer and so many towns/areas in the north east (New England) being named after us shwos some ancient solidarity I suppose.

Anyway, next year for the first time ever, I am adding two more U.S. cities to my list - Chicago and Minneapolis so very much looking forward to those - I have been very muc h told my some friends that Chicago is far superior to NYC but I will make up my own mind.

Kind regards to all

Kimmiegirl
Old November 8th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Eh, its a troll or whatever, so I read this 5 days later from your intention. What last post for me tonight?

Again, same with barbiegirl, sorry kimmiegirl, American troll above, no?

Then read in your accent and then what you think is how the British speak,,,no chance
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Captain

Will you translate your riddle David?
K
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Admiral

Hmm, was that English????

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Captain

Hi Jean,
I see I am not the only one who had truoble figuring out David"s message. I hope he elaborates on it.
I notice no one has anything to say about CA. One day I will have to take a cruise from LA.
Kimmie,
I think a British accent sounds the most like someone from the northeast. I have had people ask me if I am English when I travel. One time the British cruise aerobic teacher asked if I was a fellow countryman. He seemed happy to make a connection with someone from home and I had to tell him I am from NY not England.
I am another Blair fan. I turn on BBC to hear him speak.
K
Old November 9th, 2005, 10:34 AM
First Mate

No David,

I am not a troll, very much British like you and have been posting on CM for quite a while now and known by many on here.

Don't always reply to many posts, those where I think I can make a valid contribution as far too busy to post for just any reason.

I find many of your posts very intriguing and in some cases, undersand very much where you are coming from, specially regarding the chit-chat Forum. I think, like you being a Brit, we are not so 'gushing' if that is the correct word to give out our very personal feelings/lives over the web - we are more reserved.

If you look back on the Carnival Forum, you will see many of my previous posts and some of the disdain that came my way deu to such a bad cruise last year on the Victory.

You are not the only Brit that posts on these boards.

Regards,

Kimmiegirl aka Maureen
Old November 9th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Admiral

I work but do not live in NYC. I think much of the percieved unfriendliness image of New Yorkers comes as a response to environmental conditions. Street people, assorted strange characters, political and religious activists, and people handing out sales literature constantly vie for ones attention. Therefore many New Yorkers and commuters erect an "ignore the lot of them" barrier as self-defense. Therefore no hellos, no eye contact and precious little acknowlegement that you are there. If I paid attention to any of them I would never get to my bus on time and would end up carrying enough paper to open a recycling plant. However I do try to help lost tourists trying to find their way when they ask (The French, however, I send in the opposite direction or the long way ). New Yorkers, when outside of the city, remain rude, obnoxious and demanding (I live in an area they frequent on vacation).

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old November 10th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Okay I was stressed and did not explain my riddle.

How can you start a thread with "read the last post in the rude nyers page 2....anny comments feel free"

What! ,,,well post stuff like that okay, but here is how I see that thread.

The last post is the last post made by the person reacting to the last post, so it goes on into infinety. Read it ten minutes later and the post the person was refering to has gone replaced with a comment,,,and so the picture has changed,,,did they mean that last post?, no so what post? I think thats why most of us quote posts in replies

Even quoting it as being last on page 2 does not work, as posts get deleted, edited and it may have moved up the charts to page 1. So some poor soul who tonight is the last post on page 2 is left thinking,,what the hell did I write. I started a thread!

Kimmie,,,okay not convinced yet but will accept your sincerity. I withdraw the troll comment.

The whole troll thing was "yeah" as a reaction to the header, and me being as ridicules as the thread starter.
Old November 10th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Admiral

I actually "get" DavidB's riddle now! Not only that, but (OMG) I agree with him! If you ask someone to read the last post somewhere else, by the time they get there it's NOT the last post. If you're going to do this you should say "read the post by "XXX" on "date" at "time". Better yet, just add to the original thread and let it move up.

I don't agree with DavidB about kimmiegirl. I've been on here long enough (and you should have been, too, DB) to "know" her. If she's not in the U.K. she's doing a very good job of acting .

Sea Princess 2014
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:11 AM
First Mate

Hi DavidB,

No probs - don't know how I can convince you I am who I say I am. If you are an Eastenders fan, you will now that Chrissie has admitted to Den's demise., the dark movie, The Descent, is out on DVD this week and 'The War of the Worlds' comes out here on Monday.

Old Blairie had this worst week ever losign the vote in the Hosude of Commons. I work for '3' - I assume you know who they are and it is down to 8 candidats tomorrow night on the X Factor - also Sharon has now gone blond.

Does any of that help????

I actually live in Maidenhead in Berkshire and have been cruising since 1996 but found my last cruise last December very disappointing from the previous ones I have done (5 in total). But I stilll like to see what is going on.

As I said, I do not post that often, only when I think I can offer something worthwhile.

Where in this great country of ours do you reside??????

Regards,

KG

P.S. the name Kimmiegirl comes from an hilarious song that was recited to us on St. Thomas last year. To rude to elaborate on here.
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:13 AM
First Mate

...................and to add to that DavidB, are you wearing your Poppy today????????
Old November 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

I guess there are Rude pepople everywhere we go. I try to be kind and friendly and if they respond in kindness I feel blessed. If they dont chalk it up to there ignorance. No need to get upset with anyone about how they treat there fellow humans. I have been down south and have to say I have always gotten treated with respect and friendliness. I am from Wisconsin and I have to hope we show same kindness but I know there are crabbies all over the place. We took our last cruise from Los Angeles........ Well I tell u!!!!!!! I had some very ride people there. But I jsut smiled and acted like it never bothered me. Trust me it never ruined my vacation. My mother always said.. Kill them with Kindness! hey it works... happy cruising..................
Old November 11th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Captain

I understand now. So, it was the original poster who was giving us a riddle. I still don't understand the barbie girl reference and the last line about reading in the accent and it not being how British speak. Was it actually your intention to infer that Kimmiegirl is not British?
K
Just wanted to add that I looked back at KG's original thread and it does have an American sound to it. I can see what you mean. She uses American sounding cliches. Of course, reading as a US citizen, I wouldn't pick up on that because it is familiar.
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Admiral

I don't know how anyone can "read" an accent .

"This morning my DH fixed beans on toast and kippers for breakfast.

We then went to a boot sale in the car park of the local church. Afterwards we filled up with petrol and went to the pub for a pint or two and some chips with our mates. On our way home we nearly got hit in the roundabout!

Before supper we had tea, served in beakers, and biscuits with our neighbours. They have a new caravan, which is very nice. "

Is this the way Maureen should be posting?

Sea Princess 2014
Old November 12th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Captain

Good one, Fern. My niece will be coming back from a year in London. I wonder if she will speak more "British".
K