Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cranky customer service reps...grrrrr!

Nothing is worse than holding for 20 minutes only to have the phone picked up by a grouch. I know customer service departments have to answer the same questions day in and day out posed by newbies like me, but what does that say about the rest of your company? These people are the first your customers come into contact with and first impressions are all too often lasting impressions.

When I call your company I'm happy to begin with and all the while I hold the anticipation builds as I'm forced to listen to your advertising for other cruises...and then some crab comes on the line and pops my balloon. What makes you think I'm going to be in the mood to book with you again after that experience? However, I've noticed the sales department is a little more upbeat since they probably earn commission, from now on I'm pressing that button when I have questions.

Am I expecting too much here? I'm paying an obscene amount of money to go on the vacation of my dreams and I think I'm owed just a little bit of courtesy.
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Admiral

I am curious as to who did what to you? What was your problem and with which cruiseline? Did you get your problem resolved?
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Yeoman

hey, at least you talked to someone. I have contacted Carnival, once by their web site, and another via e-mail directly to a PVP, and STILL haven't gotten the call back.

I am starting to think they don't want to talk to me at all. Maybe if i moved staterooms.
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Captain

I notice the sales are sometimes friendly until you book. Once they have hooked and railed you in, they don't have as much time for you. I do get some chatty Betty's though. I wonder if they can see how many cruises you have taken with whatever company. Does anyone out there know if that information pulls up on the computer screen?
I think calling at non busy times is good. I just don't know when they are.

K
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

There really wasn't any particular incident in my case, just a minor matter I needed taken care of. And I felt the customer service rep could have injected a little more enthusiasm into it. She wasn't rude, but she was obviously having a bad day.

It was with Holland America and for the record I have had wonderful people help me too, its the luck of the draw I guess. In the above case, I called back later that day to make sure she followed through correctly, in the event her dour mood affected her performance. It didn't, she did everything she was supposed to do.

But I wanted cruiseline personnel to know that professionalism and courtesy extend to every level, not just while on the ship.
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Toas Warnstadt

I have had no problems with my Carnival PVP, though I have not spoken to her for awhile. Every time I emailed her, she called me right away. She answered all my questions without being the least bit condescending. I would mention her name, but the last time I did that on these boards it was edited out. To bad, she could make more cruisers happy.
Old December 5th, 2005, 02:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Cranky customer service reps...grrrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleguy37
Nothing is worse than holding for 20 minutes only to have the phone picked up by a grouch. However, I've noticed the sales department is a little more upbeat since they probably earn commission, from now on I'm pressing that button when I have questions.
Do that and chances are you will be transfered to customer service.
Old December 5th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Admiral

So sooner is that a good thing or a bad thing?

But I get the frustration. You think I'm bad, Mrs DavidB is quiet but her retorts could cut sheet steel at twenty paces, they are so sharp.

Posting this just as a laugh re customer service.

Local country bank, we walk in and all the staff have badges on "announcing" Customer Care Week.

The DW turns to the teller and asks "so what do we do for the other 51"

I had to laugh, the teller didn't
Old December 5th, 2005, 04:28 PM
First Mate

Really neither David each department has a certain function. If you called me and I asked if you wanted to book a cruise and you told me "no I just want to book a hotel" then you would be transfered to the department that handels that. If you told me "I just waited 20 minutes and nobody answered," then I would advise you that you would need to go through our hotel desk. Your call now.
Old December 5th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to DocJohnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB
So sooner is that a good thing or a bad thing?

But I get the frustration. You think I'm bad, Mrs DavidB is quiet but her retorts could cut sheet steel at twenty paces, they are so sharp.

Posting this just as a laugh re customer service.

Local country bank, we walk in and all the staff have badges on "announcing" Customer Care Week.

The DW turns to the teller and asks "so what do we do for the other 51"

Now, I like that!!!!!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, BUT rather to SKID In BROADSIDE, completely used up, totally worn out, and SCREAMING "WOW---WHAT A RIDE!!"
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Hi DavidB,

Quote:
Sounds like you and Mrs. DavidB belong together! I've often embarassed my DH with my "retorts" .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Captain

Quote:
Mrs. B probably confused the poor thing. Oops, just a joke Banker.

K
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Admiral

I guess that's why hubby & I enjoy using our same TA over and over again. When we call, he will put us on hold while he calls the cruiseline and gets any problems or concerns taken care of IMMEDIATELY. From the posts I've read, I don't think we'll ever deal with a cruiseline directly.

Being almost 50 years old, with my life experience, I always ask the person i am speaking to their name, before we get down to business. That way, when there is a problem or an attitude issue, I am already prepared when the next person asks me "Well, WHO did you speak to???" They are usually surprised when I produce a name, because then they cannot just blow me off!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Admiral

there is no excuse for cranky customer service. Its their job to be pleasant, informative and accomodating, no matter what kind of day they are having.
If you "kill em with kindness" and are calm in your retort you usually get better service, than if you rant and rave like a maniac. If i get a surly CS rep, no matter what the business,I get a name and report them to their superiors
Old February 21st, 2006, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Seattle -

Well, hate to say it my friend, but you need to be on the other end of the line to go through what these people go through. I work for a very large corporation & place orders and service calls all day.

If you could hear the amount of snotty, ignorant and just plain rude people there are in the United States at big pharmaceutical companies, Ivy League Universities, and big Corporate companies. Some just start yelling the second you pick up the phone and I'm sure Royal probably goes through the same thing. Some foreignors that are so-called American citizens still treat women here like 2nd class citizens over the phone & we're the ones doing the service for them! It only takes 1 nasty call to kill your happy day. I've been called nasty names, hung up on, etc. Our company policy doesn't allow us to talk back. We have to be nice no matter what the circumstance. To do otherwise is immediate employment dismissal.

So its not directed at you personally if you get someone in an unhappy mood. Just try to lighten them up. Sometimes it just takes a friendly voice to pull you out of the rut. Make a joke, ask them if the last customer was the biggest jerk on the planet, make small talk.
Old February 26th, 2006, 12:55 AM
First Mate

I see your point, Seattle, but when you yourself are being treated rudely/unfairly/grumpily do you remember to put your feelings asside and try to make THEM feel more at ease?

Sometimes, no matter how nice you are (as the customer) on a phone call, the customer service rep is still really just nasty. And while us customers, deep down, KNOW it can't have been our fault, it still sucks. This disembodied voice is supposed to HELP you through your issue/problem/question.....when that voice is not only unhelpful, but RUDE about it.....it is pretty frustrating.

One must remember that there are societal rules and roles. When I eat at a restaurant, I have certain cognitive schemas in place as to how the experience will play out. I do not expect to wash dishes or grab a refill for the guy next to me. Same goes for when I assume the role of customer calling customer service lines. I expect to be helped.....or at least dealt with with a modicum of manners.

Waters
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

We're not talking about a shirt or a pair of shoes here. Let's face it, a cruise is a rather expensive holiday and when I'm spending thousands of dollars I expect to be treated with a little bit of gratitude. I understand what they have to put up with, maybe the person they spoke with prior to me treated them badly. But most customer service professionals know how to move on and put it past them. And if they can't, well....there are plenty of people that would like to have their job.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:46 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleguy37
We're not talking about a shirt or a pair of shoes here. Let's face it, a cruise is a rather expensive holiday and when I'm spending thousands of dollars I expect to be treated with a little bit of gratitude. I understand what they have to put up with, maybe the person they spoke with prior to me treated them badly. But most customer service professionals know how to move on and put it past them. And if they can't, well....there are plenty of people that would like to have their job.
Speaking as a Travel agent, I treat everyone I talk to with respect, However, Some people that i have talked to tend to talk down to me as if i am some little peon who is beneath them, still, i try to do my best to help them, but i will admit it is difficult when they constantly throw other agencies in my face, or that they act like you are ripping them off.
Old March 28th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Passenger

You better watch what you say to the cruise people. I'll never forget this one time back in '78 I got "mouthy" with the crew. They tied my legs together and through me overboard for about two hours (for punishment). Only good thing that came out of it is that I learned to swim...real fast.
Old March 30th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Passenger

Don't ya know...