Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default R balcony cabins really worth it?

we were very impressed of the large 9x8 sq ft on the carib deck Caribe Princess ship. this was the only deck that fit 2lounge chairs, 4 chairs and small table. we love the fact that we can go and lounge night or day right at our cabin. Unfortunately, not all ships have balconies this large. We would love to explore other cruise lines but we were spoiled with such a large balcony. Oh yeah, it was semi private. Half of the balcony was covered. That was cool. We sunbathed right their on our balcony. the cigar smoke was a bit much to take. That was the only upside besides the movies under the stars. Other than that, I think the ship is a complete BORE. I hope RCCL has more to offer plus a great balcony cabin w/o paying for a suite. I guess Princess Cruise Line is too conservative for my taste. I like a lively ship with larger balcony cabin.[/b]
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

It depends. I always thought balconies were THE only way. However having a non-stop cigar smoking neighbor on the Jewel last week we decided our next cruise would be oceanview. This was our 3rd cruise and each time we've had to deal with cigarette/cigar smoke so in my case it's not worth it. (I have asthma and respiratory issues).
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:28 PM
Admiral

YES...YES...YES...
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:13 PM
Admiral

I really enjoyed my balcony. There was only one disruption from one of my neighbors and really all I could do was laugh to myself. It seems the guys in there group felt it was their private domain which is just fine with me. They decided a flatulence contest out there was the perfect way to enjoy themselves. Ummmmm... i decided it would be quieter up on the Lido deck.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:37 PM
Passenger

On my previuos 2 cruises we had ocean view. The last had a balcony. With the noise of chairs sliding on the balcony of other rooms and balcony doors slamming I will probably go back to an oceanview room. Granted the Balcony rooms are larger. I can go sit on the deck in my lounging pants and t-shirt anytime at night and watch the stars in peace.
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:57 PM
Yeoman

We have been there through financial constraints, inside, outside with a window and eventually with a balcony.

Forgetting the plastic furniture etc. It so good to just let some fresh air into the cabin and for hours I can stand at that rail on my balcony and enjoy all going past me....even if it is cigar smoke

Now, I could not go back inside
Old April 21st, 2006, 07:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

On my last cruise: 14 days Hong Kong to Osaka I had a great inside cabin on Statendam. It was quite large; 180 sq. feet, more closet space than we've had in a Sky Suite on Celebrity and a fantastic cabin steward. However after three or four days I started getting inside cabin psychosis. I started planning on how I could get the couch into the hall, up the stairs and over the side without anyone seeing. I began looking for a saw because I knew I would have to cut it in half to do it. The darn thing just took up too much space. I also started to hate the curtain in back of the bed. Who are they trying to fool? There's no window there and it just took up valuable ledge space in back of the bed.

I also had the uncontrollable urge when I first awoke at 5:00 a.m. to slap on a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt and go up on deck to see if it really was as dark as the front of the ship camera was showing. All the time hoping I wouldn't have to come in close contact with another human being because I looked like heck and I hadn't brushed my teeth. I did look like a psychotic person.

So yes: From now on I will make sure I have a balcony. After 18 cruises I guess I am completely spoiled and the 19th one wasn't the time to go for an inside.

Take care,
Mike (Who has regained his sanitly: At least the voices say I have)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:36 AM
Captain

I say, if you have the money, go for it. Let us know what you decided and how it went.
I have not gotten to the balcony stage yet. It sounds like once I get there, there is no turning back.

Karen
Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:42 AM
Admiral

We'll let you know in October

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

It depends. It can be wonderful to smell the fresh sea air while you're sitting outside with a cup of coffee watching the sun come up, or with a glass of wine before dinner watching it go down or watching the stars with a nightcap.

On the other hand, if you're on a budget, you'll have enough fun and relaxation as to not even notice not having one.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Nothing beats sitting out on your balcony watching a dvd on your laptop(with head phones),and waking up the next morn with your eyelids sealed shut from the salt water mist I guess.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 08:45 AM
Captain

Will, The salt water mist doesn't affect your "pute"? Guess not or you would have mentioned it.
These posts are making me long to be on the balcony of a cruise ship. I have that relaxed feeling just thinking about it.

Karen
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Karen, I have never left it outside overnight.After I watch a movie the battery is low,and I take it inside to charge the battery.Balconies are great...very peaceful outside listening to the ocean,and watching the sun rise,and set.
Old April 28th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Always opt for balcony cabin when sailing with my hubby. He's not much for crowded public areas....when on vacation he needs calm & quiet space. We most enjoyed the luxury of a balcony suite when on our Alaska cruise with the Sun Princess. We had the largest suite (one of only two in the rear of the ship). The suite had 3 rooms and 2 bathrooms....total luxury. While I went off on shopping sprees in ports he enjoyed relaxing on our balcony. One day a pair of mating bald eagles perched themselves on the railing of our balcony; needless to say a once in a lifetime experience for my husband to behold. He was literally frozen in awe and didn't think to grab the camera to lock the picture for us. Also while navigating through the Alaskan Gulf we watched pods of Orca breeching and sounding behind the ship while in motion; I doubt that anyone else had the view that we enjoyed. Also on occasion we were able to have our complete dinners delivered to our suite so that we could dine on our balcony in private (very romantic!). When cruising with anyone else, we usually get regular balcony cabins mostly for the convenience of having our own lounge chairs outside - too tired to fight with chair hogs on decks!
Old April 30th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes! We order room service have breakfast on the balcony. Star gazing from your balcony at night - what a delight! When were were getting ready to disembark in Ft. Lauderdale, we had one last view from our balcony. We looked down at the water and saw a manatee - priceless!
Old May 14th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Beginner

I for one would not go back to an inside cabin. After a couple of balcony cabins, I decided to try a Celebrity Suite on the Constellation. Loved the extra room and amenities, but missed the balcony more and more each day.

Next trip is an aft cabin with a large balcony on Celebrity and I can't wait!
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Admiral

A balcony is a must for us too. This past cruise was the first one where I noticed cigar smoke. Is there an increase in cigar smoking? Sometimes I could smell it as early as 5AM. Nothing that would keep me from having a balcony cabin, but I just never had to deal with it before.

Phyll
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default just booked an inside

you know I ust booked an inside after enjoying our balcony last year on Princess. The balcony was almost as large as my patio. I've convinced myself I don't need a balcony nor a window. I am going to be partying all day and night. I hope I won't regret my decision. Are there some people out there that will take a inside if it was dirt cheap or all you can afford at the time? Or just maybe it doesn't matter just as long you're on the ship. Has anyone stepped down to an inside cabin after experiencing a balcony in the past? Let me here from you.

san
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
Admiral

My first cruise was in an ocean view room, my 2nd cruise was a balcony and I've never looked back. I did sail with a friend one year who was short of cash and we opted for an inside stateroom on the Carnival Triumph. It was terrible, very claustrophobic and depressing with no sunshine coming into your room, thank goodness I brought a small travel alarm clock so I would know what time it was. And, I disagree with a lot of posters, you spend more time in your room than you think. You're there every night to sleep...you spend time there dressing for the day...you return during the day to change your clothes, bathroom break, have a drink, enjoy room service, take a nap, etc., you change clothes there for dinner and return to sleep. A balcony extends your living area, you can open the door for fresh sea air, breakfast in the morning on the balcony is absolute luxury, pre-dinner drinks on the balcony heavenly, after showering I sit on the balcony and let the breeze dry my hair, not to mention the views of the islands, rainbows, entering and leaving a port. I would never go on a cruise if I could not afford a balcony room, no way. It's the same as staying at a Disney resort when you visit Disney World, it extends your vacation experience.
Old May 25th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default u r so right

I guess i am being a little too frugle. Money is not an issue. ive just convinced myself that a balcony is so unnecessary. The more I think about it, I think Ive made a big mistake. I thinking of the the beautiful starlit nights. Watching the dolphins race the the ship jumping in and out of the water was priceless. I am making this so hard for me.
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Yeoman

IMO........ABSOLUTELY......wouldn't sail if I couldn't get a balcony cabin.
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Yeoman

Rosetattoo...what a great post
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

We have done two insides and and one balcony cabin so far. Our next is an oceanview (because of the ship) and I wouldn't sail again without at least a window. I loved our balcony last time, getting back to the room after a long night out ordering a room service cup of tea and drinking it out on the balcony listening to the waves swoosh by. Or the time we were docked outside Civitavecchia (sp?) looking at the lights on the other ships waiting to enter port at first light. The balcony is worth every penny in my opinion.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old June 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM
Beginner

Default r balconies really worth it?

we love the veranda suites.. we can go out in night clothes early am, or late at night, and not have to worry about dressing for "people". we can relax and read anytime. we haven't had alot of noisy neighbors, nor cigar or cigarette smoke.. so yes they are worth the price. skagway :
Old June 3rd, 2006, 02:59 PM
Passenger

Rosetattoo, I can't agree more!
Good analogy with Disney World too. We would never stay off-site, as Disney resorts are part of the magic!

Yes, the balcony is a big part of the cabin and does extend your space. I have only stayed in balcony cabins on big cruise ships. [As opposed to Windjammer ships!]

It is so lovely to sit outside and read, gaze at the ocean, enjoy a drink or snack. It's peaceful compared to many other areas of the ship, your own private paradise.

If a person can't afford it, or doesn't choose to spend the $ for a balcony room, that's his/her business. Any room on a cruise ship is better than staying at home!
But if a person can afford a balcony cabin -- go for it!
Old June 10th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead55
On my previuos 2 cruises we had ocean view. The last had a balcony. With the noise of chairs sliding on the balcony of other rooms and balcony doors slamming I will probably go back to an oceanview room. Granted the Balcony rooms are larger. I can go sit on the deck in my lounging pants and t-shirt anytime at night and watch the stars in peace.
I felt that way about Carnival Miracle but on Disney Wonder the verandas were designed better and noises did not carry.
Old June 10th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
On my last cruise: 14 days Hong Kong to Osaka I had a great inside cabin on Statendam. It was quite large; 180 sq. feet, more closet space than we've had in a Sky Suite on Celebrity and a fantastic cabin steward. However after three or four days I started getting inside cabin psychosis. I started planning on how I could get the couch into the hall, up the stairs and over the side without anyone seeing. I began looking for a saw because I knew I would have to cut it in half to do it. The darn thing just took up too much space. I also started to hate the curtain in back of the bed. Who are they trying to fool? There's no window there and it just took up valuable ledge space in back of the bed.

I also had the uncontrollable urge when I first awoke at 5:00 a.m. to slap on a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt and go up on deck to see if it really was as dark as the front of the ship camera was showing. All the time hoping I wouldn't have to come in close contact with another human being because I looked like heck and I hadn't brushed my teeth. I did look like a psychotic person.

So yes: From now on I will make sure I have a balcony. After 18 cruises I guess I am completely spoiled and the 19th one wasn't the time to go for an inside.

Take care,
Mike (Who has regained his sanitly: At least the voices say I have)
we were on the Statendam back in 2001 for alaska. We had an oceanview but you know with daylight streaming in 21 hours of the day I think I would not have minded an inside cabin. My inlaws had one across the hall from us and theirs and ours were the same size-all w ehad was a window and a very small bathtub-which was hard to get out of-so we took showers anyway.
Old June 10th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing gal
Will, The salt water mist doesn't affect your "pute"? Guess not or you would have mentioned it.
These posts are making me long to be on the balcony of a cruise ship. I have that relaxed feeling just thinking about it.

Karen
Karen in 11 cruises Ihave done 2 balconies. I have 2 more cruises booked and both with balconies-so I do love balconies-but price comes into it.

I know I read a post once from a woman who said she would have nothing but a balcony and so she only cruises every other year-if I had to wait 2 years to do a cruise to have a balcony I would NOT.

I also read a post of this guy who went on an older ship and booked a suite so he could have a balcony and then GRIPED that he spent too much money on an old ship. He had spent $1500 a person when he could have booked an oceanview for $350 a person. I told him that should have told him something-because he would be eating in the same diningroom watching the same shows and swimming in the same pool as the guy who spent $250 for an inside cabin.

I may love balconies but I will cruise in other rooms. Last year I was able to cruise twice because I was willing to book an inside cabin and an obstructed oceanview.

this year and next year I will only cruise once but I will have a balcony cabin.

So my point is- do what you can afford to do and have a good time. and ofcourse at least once if you can- try a balcony-but if you can't afford that every cruise-you can still have a wonderful time.
Old June 10th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Yeoman

Appreciated, but sorry my life expands further than "just being on a ship".

If thats anyones thing fine..... me I would rather save up and enjoy the vacation my way. And that is not in an inside cabin or taking any ship available simply because as it's a cheap vacation and a chance to cruise.

A lot of confused people out there when it comes to understanding, one persons cruise experience against their's and personal expectation of not only the vacation, but the money people spend to do it.

Put it this way. I could sail on Carnival at least 4 times a year, I dont...why?

Because I would rather save up my money and go on something that I as a person will enjoy.. Crusing is one industry, but its people are so varied as are the options and value for money. I pick mine carefullly as there is more of a chance they will think like me
Old June 10th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Appreciated, but sorry my life expands further than "just being on a ship".

If thats anyones thing fine..... me I would rather save up and enjoy the vacation my way. And that is not in an inside cabin or taking any ship available simply because as it's a cheap vacation and a chance to cruise.

A lot of confused people out there when it comes to understanding, one persons cruise experience against their's and personal expectation of not only the vacation, but the money people spend to do it.

Put it this way. I could sail on Carnival at least 4 times a year, I dont...why?

Because I would rather save up my money and go on something that I as a person will enjoy.. Crusing is one industry, but its people are so varied as are the options and value for money. I pick mine carefullly as there is more of a chance they will think like me
but that is you. I have been on 6 differant lines and the last line I cruised was Celebrity, an older ship, that had no balconies even in the suites-but you know the service was wonderful, it was a fairly small ship, so no congestion, the food was better in the main dinningroom then the pay extra restuarants on other lines. I found I did not miss not having a balcony at all.

but you are right-everyone has to make their own choices-what makes one happy does not make another happy. really this is only opinions here anyway.

Bye the way I guess I could cruise Carnival every month if I picked the cheapest ship- that is NOT what I meant. I was just telling the one person who felt bad that she had not had a balcony that she could still have a good time.