Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Did they have a deal for you, that you couldn't refuse?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 13th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Yes it was be nice or else!! Lets just say what was going to be done to me that i'm a good boy now!
Old October 16th, 2006, 04:29 PM
First Mate

I, for one, hope that Fruitcake will come back and join us. I found her posts helpful and fun and I hope she realizes that one person's prejudices does not represent everyone. Her post (now deleted) about what can be done to make everyone more aware of the challenges of the disabled was very, very insightful.
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Well I will tell you what I dislike here. There is a thread over on the Roayl Caribbean board where people post snap shots of people they have taken without that person's knowlege-for example an overweight woman's fat butt in a bikini.

Yes she should not have worn a bikini- and I may post and laugh about seeing something like that but I would NEVER snap a photo of the poor woman's butt and then post it on a public messegboard. I find that repulsive and an invasion of privacy.
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Admiral

It's really walking close to the legal line. Let me explain...

In my business (Casting)...if a Photographer want to use a photograph of an actor or stand-in...lets say in a Print Ad (for publication) you NEED a to have them sign a release form giving permission, and they also have a right to be paid for it. It's the same when we use 'Joe Public' for Extra's or Background in a movie, even though they are not professionals...they MUST sign release forms in order for us to use their image, and they have a right to be paid!

That's why on Television..sometimes in certain street scenes, background people will have their faces blocked out. The producers, etc. couldn't get, or the person wouldn't sign a release form to have their faces shown....so they had to block it out...we've all seen the 'dot' over the face
(another reason...is sometimes the Production company didn't want to PAY them for showing their faces)

Now...it might be different for 'Joe Public'...but I would be very cautious about putting any photo of any unknown person on the boards, without their permission... you could get 'sued' !!! Especially if that person is going to be the 'butt of a joke'....Sometimes to our surprise...the world is just NOT that big a place.....

Just MHO.
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
It's really walking close to the legal line. Let me explain...

In my business (Casting)...if a Photographer want to use a photograph of an actor or stand-in...lets say in a Print Ad (for publication) you NEED a to have them sign a release form giving permission, and they also have a right to be paid for it. It's the same when we use 'Joe Public' for Extra's or Background in a movie, even though they are not professionals...they MUST sign release forms in order for us to use their image, and they have a right to be paid!

That's why on Television..sometimes in certain street scenes, background people will have their faces blocked out. The producers, etc. couldn't get, or the person wouldn't sign a release form to have their faces shown....so they had to block it out...we've all seen the 'dot' over the face
(another reason...is sometimes the Production company didn't want to PAY them for showing their faces)

Now...it might be different for 'Joe Public'...but I would be very cautious about putting any photo of any unknown person on the boards, without their permission... you could get 'sued' !!! Especially if that person is going to be the 'butt of a joke'....Sometimes to our surprise...the world is just NOT that big a place.....

Just MHO.

My thinking!! I know less then 1 percent of cruisers use messageboards-but what if that person recognized themselves. I would think even Cruisemates could be sued for allowing those pictures.

But even if it is not illegal-to me it smacks of the bully kid at school making fun of another kid because he/she is too short, wears glasses, is of a differant race etc. I find that very chilish, inmature and repulsive. My guess is people who do such things have a bad self image-so they make themselves feel better by belittling others.
Old October 18th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona01
I, for one, hope that Fruitcake will come back and join us. I found her posts helpful and fun and I hope she realizes that one person's prejudices does not represent everyone. Her post (now deleted) about what can be done to make everyone more aware of the challenges of the disabled was very, very insightful.
Thanks.
Sometimes you need a time out, when the bad outweighs the good.
I don't tolerate stupidity too well!
So I found *other* endeavors to occupy my time!

But I do miss talking about cruising, and I've met some very good people on this board!
Old October 18th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Yeoman

Fieldmouse, it is different when you are using an actor's image to sell a product.
And it's different with extras too, on a movie or TV set. There are contracts, etc. to follow with those actors.

But in the case of the public domain, anyone can take a picture of anyone else.
You don't need their permission.
[Just think of all the films of us taken by the security cameras everywhere -- they don't need our permission!]

Someone can take your picture at a public venue -- say a baseball game or a concert -- and post it wherever they want.
Sure, you can choose to sue. We can sue over just about anything in this country.
It doesn't mean you'll win.

I work in print media ... our photographers often encounter people being arrested ... they have the right to shoot pictures of those people, although I am sure the person being arrested is not too pleased.

Think of TV ... you see tons of people filmed for the evening news. People at a protest, people holding a candlelight vigil. The news cameraman doesn't have to get their permission to show their images. They were in the public domain.
However, if your news station were doing a story on obesity, say, they would shoot overweight people from the shoulders down, not to embarrass them.

This is not to say that I agree with people's taking pictures of someone on a cruise ship and posting it on a Web site.
In fact, a few years ago I used to frequent this Web site, but when people began posting pix of overweight cruisers, I decided I'd had enough and looked elsewhere.

I thought that childish behavior was over.
Sad to hear that it is not.
Old October 18th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Hi fruitcake,

I'm very surprised to read your post! Are you saying that all of the photo's in our local paper of young children are published without parental permission?

Our paper always says "Joe and Jane Doe, with their Mother, Sue" at the park...

Are you saying that if you take a photo of a child, and they are able to give their name, you'd publish that photo without parental permission?

If that's true, I find this to be a very scary situation! I do hope I'm totally wrong !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 19th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Fieldmouse, it is different when you are using an actor's image to sell a product.
And it's different with extras too, on a movie or TV set. There are contracts, etc. to follow with those actors.

But in the case of the public domain, anyone can take a picture of anyone else.
You don't need their permission.
[Just think of all the films of us taken by the security cameras everywhere -- they don't need our permission!]

Someone can take your picture at a public venue -- say a baseball game or a concert -- and post it wherever they want.
Sure, you can choose to sue. We can sue over just about anything in this country.
It doesn't mean you'll win.

I work in print media ... our photographers often encounter people being arrested ... they have the right to shoot pictures of those people, although I am sure the person being arrested is not too pleased.

Think of TV ... you see tons of people filmed for the evening news. People at a protest, people holding a candlelight vigil. The news cameraman doesn't have to get their permission to show their images. They were in the public domain.
However, if your news station were doing a story on obesity, say, they would shoot overweight people from the shoulders down, not to embarrass them.

This is not to say that I agree with people's taking pictures of someone on a cruise ship and posting it on a Web site.
In fact, a few years ago I used to frequent this Web site, but when people began posting pix of overweight cruisers, I decided I'd had enough and looked elsewhere.

I thought that childish behavior was over.
Sad to hear that it is not.
I glad you and others agree with me. Look over at the Royal Caribbean board. I won't name the thread or the OP of the thread. Let's just say it is a very popular thread that has been around now for several months.
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
Hi fruitcake,

I'm very surprised to read your post! Are you saying that all of the photo's in our local paper of young children are published without parental permission?

Our paper always says "Joe and Jane Doe, with their Mother, Sue" at the park...

Are you saying that if you take a photo of a child, and they are able to give their name, you'd publish that photo without parental permission?

If that's true, I find this to be a very scary situation! I do hope I'm totally wrong !
No, there are always exceptions made for children.
Responsible newspapers, for instance, require parental permission to print a photo of a child.
If newspaper photographers go into a public school, they will only take pix of kids who have parental permission to be photographed. [Typically parents sign forms at the beginning of the school year.]
Many children cannot be photographed, for a variety of reasons, and the teachers are well aware of that. So when a newspaper photographer is shooting pix of an event, the teachers will make sure those children are not in the camera range.

I did not address the topic of photos of children, because it was not germane to the topic being discussed above.

However, sometimes newspaper photographers will get a crowd shot at an event -- which may include youngsters -- and it will get printed without parental permission. In those cases, no names are printed. Think of a picture of a crowd of kids in the stands at a football game.

In the example you gave, of "Jane and John Doe and their mother, Sue," the photographer would have been shooting pix at a park, and then approached the family, identified himself/herself [they have photo IDs issued by the newspaper] and asked permission to publish a picture.
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
I glad you and others agree with me. Look over at the Royal Caribbean board. I won't name the thread or the OP of the thread. Let's just say it is a very popular thread that has been around now for several months.
I don't want to see that thread b/c I find it distasteful and inappropriate for a message board such as this.
As I said, I recall something similar on Cruise Mates a few years ago, and it prompted me to go elsewhere to read/post about cruising.

I don't think that *other* board would allow such things.

Whoever is participating in such behavior on the Royal Caribbean board must have low self-esteem and a need to make cruel fun of others.
Pathetic.
I wish the mods would think about what it contributes to this board -- absolutely nothing.
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Yeoman

"But in the case of the public domain, anyone can take a picture of anyone else. You don't need their permission"

Agreed, re taking the picture, but if you publish it in any form does that not change the circumstance?

This may be true of the USA, but believe me it aint true here in the UK, we have privacy laws.

For example, I did a video and photo shoot in my friends new showroom on opening night with the public in attendance. We by law had to get dislaimers from everyone in those shots to allow us to release them in all formats, still picture, video, internet site or brochure.
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Default Fruitcake!

Fruitcake:

Thanks for clarifying. It interesting to read another professional POV.

We don't do 'random' crowd shots much...and when we do we ALWAYS get signed releases....just to be safe! (I guess it's just been a matter of CYA)

I rarely do Print Ads...mostly film and television, but when we do Industrial or general commerical print...we always work with actors...S0oooo...in addition to any contracts, we always get signed releases too. For us, it's standard policy...no signed contract, no signed print release...no pay!

In all the years I've been casting, I've never done anything in the public domain...so your information was a nice treat!!! Thanks
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Yeoman

Did they get permission over there to publish all those shots of Princess Di?
Or Fergie with her toes in someone's mouth?
The British tabs are notorious for celebrity pix.
Celebrities, as public figures, have less of a right to privacy then the common citizen.

Newspapers publish mug shots of people who are arrested all the time.
Those people don't give their permission for their faces to grace the local newspaper.

The whole thing is complicated, however, and there are all kinds of circumstances ... there isn't a blanket policy that can be cited.

But pretty much if you are in a public place -- or the photographer is in a public place and has a good lens -- you can be photographed.
And posting those pix on the Internet is easily done ...

Newspapers, however, do have policies.
Some of them, anyway.
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Yeoman

You know, you just quoted the circumstances that brought in the law
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
You know, you just quoted the circumstances that brought in the law
But I have to be honest it is a bit grey and usually only those with a few bucks that take it up
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Admiral

All said and done...I'm no light weight...and if someone took my picture, posted it on the internet and then proceeded to make me the highlight of the threads fun and games...I'd be prettty @#$!$%#^$&&*%* to say the least.

These Bullies are being especially cruel because the object of their humor is totally defenseless...defenseless because they aren't aware that their image is being used without their permission for gross entertainment!
Old October 20th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
All said and done...I'm no light weight...and if someone took my picture, posted it on the internet and then proceeded to make me the highlight of the threads fun and games...I'd be prettty @#$!$%#^$&&*%* to say the least.

These Bullies are being especially cruel because the object of their humor is totally defenseless...defenseless because they aren't aware that their image is being used without their permission for gross entertainment!
I agree with you.
It is cruel.
Plus the bullies who do it are also cowards -- notice they are not posting their own *perfect* pictures on the Internet!!!
As I said, this practice made me abandon this message board a few years ago.

A lot of this goes on in Key West during Fantasy Fest.
Many women go topless and have designs airbrushed over their *upper half* -- and they get their pix taken by all the gawkers.
If you google "fantasy fest" you will find many, many sites that post these pictures ... and I daresay without the permission of the subjects!
Some do pose, but they have no idea where their pix will end up.
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
No, there are always exceptions made for children.
Responsible newspapers, for instance, require parental permission to print a photo of a child.
If newspaper photographers go into a public school, they will only take pix of kids who have parental permission to be photographed. [Typically parents sign forms at the beginning of the school year.]
Many children cannot be photographed, for a variety of reasons, and the teachers are well aware of that. So when a newspaper photographer is shooting pix of an event, the teachers will make sure those children are not in the camera range.
Thanks for the clarification! I think it depends on the "newspaper" for which you work. If you work for a newspaper like ours (Arkansas Democrat Gazette, a responsible newspaper), you wouldn't be printing a close up photo and name without permission.

I also agree with you about the post on the RCI board. As a person who hates to be photographed, I'd be very unhappy to see my photo on a website without my permission!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 21st, 2006, 02:14 PM
Yeoman

Okay, going back into work mode, its what I am qualified in...

Personally I find this new "open internet world" disgusting for loads of reasons.

Digital camera's brilliant but deadly, as they don’t have to be "processed"
by a "body"...so no pre check as to suitability for printing or publication.

Sorry but unfortunately you or I at any moment in time could be or will be the next subject of another's "joke" or opinion across the world...That’s scary, but it is how the world now revolves and nothing is going to change it...sad but true
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:46 AM
Yeoman

But the message boards don't have to condone it.

Message boards have their own rules and regulations, and I think one of the regs should address pix posted.
Yes, post your own of your cruise or whatever, but don't be posting pix of strangers with snide remarks.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
But the message boards don't have to condone it.

Message boards have their own rules and regulations, and I think one of the regs should address pix posted.
Yes, post your own of your cruise or whatever, but don't be posting pix of strangers with snide remarks.
I agree...it's a no brainer! Since they monitor the boards anyway...
Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Yeoman

110% agreed, when a picture appears not of the poster but of someone else and only with the intention of generating snide or derogatory remarks. Then the boards should… if they are decent at all, treat it in the same way they would do with words written and geared to do the same thing or reaction, dump it.

It’s called self-policing, and on here I feel they do it right, can’t talk for other boards or the values of the people that run them.

Its a sick world we live in, unfortunately some are sicker than others and the internet allows them to get away with it.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Yeoman

I have no complaints on how this board is run and find the moderators very fair!

Other boards I've belonged to seem to have a little band of board police who play favorites!

I have not gone on the forum here that has the objectionable pictures. I stay away from garbage like that.
But I hope that the powers that be here will consider deleting pictures that depict people unfairly and are the source of rude and nasty remarks.
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
I don't want to see that thread b/c I find it distasteful and inappropriate for a message board such as this.
As I said, I recall something similar on Cruise Mates a few years ago, and it prompted me to go elsewhere to read/post about cruising.

I don't think that *other* board would allow such things.

Whoever is participating in such behavior on the Royal Caribbean board must have low self-esteem and a need to make cruel fun of others.
Pathetic.
I wish the mods would think about what it contributes to this board -- absolutely nothing.
You are right-you are NOT missing anything by not looking. I no longer go to that board because of the mentality of the people who post over there.
Old October 31st, 2006, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

just my opinion here, but maybe the reason some get hurt (am I opening a can of worms? ) is that they either don't have a sense of humor, or they are very sensitive.
I suffer at work cause I love to type in caps. You know how much garbage (not really the word I'd like to use) I take for that? Wow! Good thing I have tough skin. Now I have to apologize, .."not yelling, just prefer caps..." in all my emails!!!!!!

Anyway- before I get off and running on another subject- I think the problem is also that people can't read tone in these.... or maybe they don't know how to read these? I scroll through these boards aimlessly and five minutes ago I was crying cause I was laughing so hard!!!!

Some people are uptight and well, they need to unwind, and that's the nicest way I can say it. Don't let them hold you back or down, just keep being yourself and if they don't like it or can't understand it, well then, they shouldn't post.....

See how I get in trouble so easy??????
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:51 PM
Admiral

The boards should be fun, light entertainment and even educational at times.

I've learned a lot about cruising from the boards...but also, I get to express my opinion on some subjects, and for me, that's part of the fun.

But I don't take any of this so seriously that I would be offended if someone disagreed with my opinion even strongly! So big deal...someone thought my idea's or opinions were dumb and said so! But they're expressing THEIR opinion...is my self esteem be so low, that someone expressing a difference of opinion about something I said, that makes me feel less of a person or offends me to the point of striking back in anger? Geezesss.

BUT to gang up and poke fun of someone, to bully them on the boards...or worst, publish an email photo of a person (other than yourself?) for fun and games....That's different!! There isn't an issue being address...it's just being rude, crude and mean.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:

I've learned a lot about cruising from the boards...but also, I get to express my opinion on some subjects, and for me, that's part of the fun.

But I don't take any of this so seriously that I would be offended if someone disagreed with my opinion even strongly! So big deal...someone thought my idea's or opinions were dumb and said so! But they're expressing THEIR opinion...is my self esteem be so low, that someone expressing a difference of opinion about something I said, that makes me feel less of a person or offends me to the point of striking back in anger? Geezesss.

BUT to gang up and poke fun of someone, to bully them on the boards...or worst, publish an email photo of a person (other than yourself?) for fun and games....That's different!! There isn't an issue being address...it's just being rude, crude and mean.
Well said!
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:22 PM
Yeoman

Quote:

EXACTLY!