Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Those on the Titanic dressed to the nines, and look what happened to them
Yea they got to get in lifeboats while people Like me drowned. debate over I am wearing a tux next time!

DBG so basically you are saying it is peer pressure that drives the dress code since it is not enforced! Don't we as adults teach our kids not to succumb to peer pressure? Very hippocritical! Just like teaching them to share their toys. If DBG owns a lamborghini why doesn't he have to share it with me if we are friends? It's his toy right? he should share!

MTM??? I am drawing a blank.
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Admiral

What is par? what have we done to ourselves as a society? What is the problem with being clean and neatly dressed? How does being dressed in a tux vs casual slacks, polo and shoes change the experience? they are just things covering our bodies. My clothes do not change my intellect, wit and irresistible charm! It does not change my ability to help you have a great dining experience that includes fun conversation and good manners.

By posting dress guidelines are the cruise lines just subliminally saying " dress neat, don't show up with a wet bathing suit and your sweaty shirt open with your belly hanging out please!"
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Peer pressure???? Maybe, but for some people who remember times when everyone dressed nice, they would probably say that it is more of a lack of respect.

We are talking about different types of cruisers these days. For some households, a tux is very much apart of the wardrobe. They wear them often, and as you grow, you get new ones, and it starts at an early age.

Some cruisers have never even worn a Tux, unless they went to their Senior Prom.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 5th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Admiral

I have never had nor worn a tux, but I did have a mess dress uniform in the USAF. I do, however, wear a suit under protest on formal nights on a cruise ship. For me, it is not a matter of taste but rather of comfort. On all non formal nights, I wear dress slacks and a nice sports shirt.

I think that neckties are an instrument of torture that must have been invented by some vindictive dowager.
Old February 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Admiral

"Those on the Titanic dressed to the nines, and look what happened to them."
Luanne,
That was priceless!

Marty
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Yeoman

And having all paid your money to be there on ship,,,,who decides that PAR. The minority in Prom dress, or the people actually just having a cruise and about to be bullied

Again, minority presenting their acceptability that is not REALITY. But they do it.... as if they will not be happy until they can complain about the people not taking part in the "party"...... Ever seen a complaint about an A's in suits on that night that could equally spoil the "party" for the rest?

Ever see the ordinary smart tidy people complaining that some A in a tux spoiled their night because he was more interested in his own personal appearance and what his/her ship photograph look like.......and all that goes with it. ie dress, "formal" photos and because they now have a TUX on they now have ARROGANCE and all they care about is, that liitle bow tie and black dress,,,,more THAN THE PEOPLE they are DINING WITH...Its just me me me and the rest of you had better shape up and make my night.

I have seen it, and I also wore tux, but I did it for me, the rest of the table could have turned up as they where born, if that was their choice. I will still talk to the person and not judge them on the fact that "they did not join in the so called "party".

See I have this basic problem I base people on 5, 7, 10 or 14 days or meeting on ship, not only on how they presented themselves for one or two nights, does that one or two nights earn respect, just because you dressed up for a prom?

It does not, so then why do some people get so hung up on it, what does it prove?
Old February 5th, 2007, 06:56 PM
First Mate

What a coincidence. Having just cruised with my girlfriends, this issue came up. One of the 4 girls made such a fuss about formal night. On formal night she kept a sarcastic tone all night making little comments saying ,"common lets go PLAY prom night." None of us dressed real formal black dresses or black slacks with a black lacey top. But because she was so unconfortable in her black slacks and lacey top, she tried to ruin it for everyone else. She didn't smile in the formal pictures, kept rolling her eyes, and was real quiet.

But it wasn't just formal night, it was other nights as well. She wanted to wear capris to dinner while we wore slacks or skirts. That was fine with us...wear whats comfortable and tasteful. Never ever were we rude to her. Yet she kept on with the pissed of looks and not wanting to hang with us because she thought we were showing her up in our outfits!! One comment she made was..."I'm So over you girls!"
WOW what an experience that was.

Some people like to dress up while others don't.
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Passenger

Quote:
If you really want to cruise with the uppercrust, there are plenty of options.
Yeah, but the prices also reflect that and I bet many of the people complaining about how casual most cruises are wouldn't pay to cruise "the old fashioned way". Some will, of course, but I am sure the majority enjoy the cheaper pricing. With the cheaper pricing comes people that can't necessarily afford to buy a $600 evening dress. Guys are lucky, they can rent a tuxedo, but us women are SOL.

Personally, I would rather pay $600 more for my cabin than for a dress I won't wear very much at all.

Old February 18th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Yeoman

"Personally, I would rather pay $600 more for my cabin than for a dress I won't wear very much at all."....great line, love it
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Passenger

I would like to know how many people wear a Tux when they are not on a cruise or wear a suit to dinner unless it is a special evening out. In LA Calif. they dress up and dress down at the same restaurant, cruises will change in the future. People in LA or the same as midwest people I know because I'm from St Louis, MO. People here and there are same they don't dress up a lot. I dress up for more than my friends do but only wear a Tux and a Suit when I have too. Their is a cruise I was told that starting in August 08 they can wear jean to the main dinning room NO HOLES. I hate that look because when I VERY YOUNG I wore HAND ME DOWNS. Like I said before I don't need a Tux or Suit in Hawaii, Las Vegas or here in LA nice dress shorts or OK. I do wear long pants here when it gets below 50 degree.
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Passenger

DayvidB Yes people can do what they want but no cruise ship is as good as the Four Season, The Ritzs and other hotels around the world. That's why I'm going on Norwegian Gem this Aug. My issue is this I go to restaurant good ones and wear sport cloths unless they say wear a suit or sport coat and a tie. Out here in LA Calif. like the midwest you don't have to dress up.I have no issue with hand me downs I just hate holes in jeans my daughter wears them and she will bring them on the cruise to go dancing. Hand me down was not the issue with the dress code. Other cruise lines are starting to offer some form of free style dinning and allowing jeans at the main dining. Las Vegas didn't allow women to wear pants suits in their main show and men had to wear a Suit. As soon as their big rollers wives started to wear pants suits they change the policy and men wearing suits out as well. People still wear suits in Las Vegas but most of them don't. If their is a restaurant I want to eat at I will wear a suit but thats rare. If the Norwegian new dress code works out the rest of the cruise lines will follow. I'm not confuse I have put on a Suit and Tux on cruises but with the new charges for bags on the airlines people will think their pocket book first. I live in LA CALIF. I can drive to San Diego, Long Beach, San Pedro and San Francisco to go on a cruise most people in the midwest can't drive to a port to leave on a cruise. Driving for me is cheaper than giving the airlines $40.00 to $60.00 for my bags and thats one-way. I'm not saying hum bug but I just like to be told to wear a tux or a suit. Go to Hawaii most restaurants dress code are slack and a shirt and these are nice restaurants. Well thank you for your time please write me anytime.
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM
Passenger

Hi there. I just wanted to say that sometimes the inability to find the "right" clothes isn't about money but about being a hard size to fit.

Not everyone can just walk into a shop and grab something that fits them off the rack. For example, I am five feet tall, 30E-26-36. Due to my height, not only are most clothes too long in the arms and legs, but the shoulders and waist don't fall in the right place. In addition, clothing that fits properly around my waist and shoulders often doesn't go over my bust or hips.

A long dress that hangs down from my shoulders makes me look fat and dumpy, and I can't wear anything backless unless the material is very heavy and supportive or it has bra cups sewn in.

I find it hard to find everyday clothes that fit me, let alone clothing for special occasions.

And I am sure I am not the only person who has size issues.
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Willy, was all that aimed at me I cant see what I did to upset you so much that you could not break it into paragraphs, and the last thing I said to the board referred to a quote by someone else and was.

"Personally, I would rather pay $600 more for my cabin than for a dress I won't wear very much at all."....great line, love it.

So confused, as you keep quoting hotels v ships regarding food and service standards, and not ship on ship.

But you have a lovely time on the Gem in August. Oh and just asking, but what ships have you been on to date that you use to compare hotels to ships on service and food quality?
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I can't believe this thread went so far. I think the answer is simple, there are formal cruise lines and there are casual cruise lines - go on the one that suits you the best.

If you like formal go on Queen Mary 2, you won't find a ship much more formal than that. The ladies can dress up in their hats for the Ascot Ball and gents can wear their tuxes on four formal nights out of six on a transatlantic.

This is not a one-size-fits-all travel option anymore.
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Admiral

Man, talk about pulling something out of the archives! I had completely forgotten about this thread........

I still think cruising has become too casual...

Old July 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches99
Hi there. I just wanted to say that sometimes the inability to find the "right" clothes isn't about money but about being a hard size to fit.

Not everyone can just walk into a shop and grab something that fits them off the rack. For example, I am five feet tall, 30E-26-36. Due to my height, not only are most clothes too long in the arms and legs, but the shoulders and waist don't fall in the right place. In addition, clothing that fits properly around my waist and shoulders often doesn't go over my bust or hips.

A long dress that hangs down from my shoulders makes me look fat and dumpy, and I can't wear anything backless unless the material is very heavy and supportive or it has bra cups sewn in.

I find it hard to find everyday clothes that fit me, let alone clothing for special occasions.

And I am sure I am not the only person who has size issues.
I totaly agree. My hardest thing to find was a swimsuit that fit right. I finally did but I had to order off the internet.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Sherry, if you can't find one that fits right, don't worry about it! 8)

Old July 24th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I totally agree.
Thanks. It's slightly annoying when someone says "You can get an inexpensive formal dress/skirt/swimsuit in Asda" - or an equivalent low to moderateley priced clothing shop where you live - when you can't fit into anything in Asda.
Old July 25th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Admiral

re willy posts....
"DayvidB Yes people can do what they want but no cruise ship is as good as the Four Season, The Ritzs and other hotels around the world. That's why I'm going on Norwegian Gem this Aug. "

Lets look at this and break it down...

"no cruise ship is as good as the Four Season" - okay personal opinion
or "The Ritzs" - again personal expectation and opinion
"and other hotels around the world"

eh sorry thats stretching opinion as I have been in some really crap hotels in my life

But having said all of that that,,,, you then say "That's why I'm going on Norwegian Gem this Aug."

eh its a ship,,,,,confused