Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Default My gripe about CM boards

To any CM administrator,

I have only one gripe about CM. Is it possible that the system can be changed so after you make a post, the system can take you back to the thread you are on? It always takes you back to the thread page then you have to re enter the particular thread again. This would make it easier if you plan on responding to more than one post on a particular thread. Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

One of the "tech" guys will have to explore that question, but just in case you haven't already done so, check the box to "notify me when a reply is posted", that will insure that you don't miss any posts on that thread if you are watching it or waiting for more replies.

Hoping one of the staff can answer your origional question, not a bad idea, instead of going to the lists of threads to take you back to the thread you posted on....

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Donna thanks for your reply. My concern or thought was not so much on missing posts. I would think my idea would make it easier for the moderators and others to respond, say, to multiple posts or questions on one board.
Old December 27th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Rescuedad:

The board code is written to take you back to the forum after making the post. It would take a rewrite of the board code in order to change this and with the limited resources we have it would have to be outsourced and also weighed to see if the cost would justify the benefit.

This is a lot of words to say: It's easier, and cheaper, said than done, but it can be looked at.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 27th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Thanks for your reply Mike. It was just an idea I threw out. If it can happen great, if not, everything is still great.
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

It seems to me that if the "other" cruising board can take you back to your posting thread right away, this one should be able to.
I think you need to break down your roll call page into specific ships on each line. If I click on Celebrity, it should then list each ship. Then I can click on Mercury or whatever and not have to plow through posts about all the ships of the line.
I also would like to see a destination site for Australia/New Zealand and a separate site for Mexican Riviera, instead of lumping all of Mexico together.
Just some suggestions to get you as user friendly as your competitor.
Old February 21st, 2007, 07:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Rfujitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Rescuedad:

The board code is written to take you back to the forum after making the post. It would take a rewrite of the board code in order to change this and with the limited resources we have it would have to be outsourced and also weighed to see if the cost would justify the benefit.

This is a lot of words to say: It's easier, and cheaper, said than done, but it can be looked at.

Take care,
Mike
I have to agree with this. The software used to run the CM boards is not independently coded by CM staff; it's a preset coding that has been adopted and customized for CM. There are several different message board formats available, and this just happens to be the way that the one CM chose operates.

As for the "other" cruise board, well, they more than likely utilize a completely different message board code, which means the operation and interface will be fundamentally different. In order to implement the change being suggested here, it would take either a rewriting of the existing code or a switch to an entirely new system.
Old February 21st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

A few features that many people don't seem to notice, and might be very helpful to check out.

On the message board index page, on the right hand side, there's spots to click for
Posts since your last visit
View Your Own Posts
View unanswered posts

... and of course, if you want to follow a thread you post in, just mark it to be alerted of replies to your post.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:07 AM
Admiral

I have seen that but haven't used it.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:30 PM
Yeoman

Rescuedad, makes a point I never thought of,,,,,mmm okay its a personal thing.

But why is there now a debate about "the other board" and whoever they are.. and whatever they do. Personally. I dont know and you know what.... I DONT CARE.

This board and CM is what it is and I've never got lost on subjects or opinion I write, and it is that way to many.

But if that other one does it so well and got everything going for it, what the hell are you doing on here 8)

Maybe there are somethings they dont do so well.......... so you come here
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Maybe somethings they dont do so well..........
Yes one of the other major boards I see mentioned on here is SOOOO slow to load! And the people are simply not as sweet on there, Carla
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
Yeoman

Carla,,, laughin because in my vision no-one has been mentioned, it. them. It must be an in joke that I have missed.

Personally I only write here, and dont need to spread my venom or opinion across X number of boards, just to ensure that I got my message across. SO all this "other board" stuff is really alien to me.

I just hate people making comparisons when what is available here...works. Dont like it go back to the one that reacts or acts the way you expect.

But laughing now as I am debating against something I do not know of, read or been part of. Unless its the one with the mental ex policeman
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:26 PM
Admiral

Why do I go to the other "major" board?

Here's my post on CM's for our March cruise (I've had 0 posts!):

Quote:
Posted: 24 Jan 2007 20:02

Fern
Admiral

We just booked this cruise! Anyone else coming with us??

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002
Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004
NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006
NCL Dream
Caribbean Princess
And one Princess"open" booking!
It's been a month since I posted, and nothing! The roll call "over there" has 31 other people! I really don't understand why people here don't post on the roll call boards .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla
Yes one of the other major boards I see mentioned on here is SOOOO slow to load! And the people are simply not as sweet on there, Carla
This is so true and why I don't spend much time there!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by adias.angel
Quote:
I was a long time member and poster on that board. (is it not legal to mention that it is CC... ) It seems they are always making "upgrades" to the board that do nothing but mess it up worse. I have finally had enough of it and have posted my final farewells to everyone there.
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to LadyStahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssantow
Quote:
Originally Posted by adias.angel
Quote:
I was a long time member and poster on that board. (is it not legal to mention that it is CC... ) It seems they are always making "upgrades" to the board that do nothing but mess it up worse. I have finally had enough of it and have posted my final farewells to everyone there.
I've used that board for several years too. Now all of a sudden their latest "upgrade" is to add in an advertisement to every 10th post in a thread...which means my poor browser at home does NOT work with the board (it displays gibberish when I get down into a thread) - and their only suggestion was that I use another browser. Heck, I like my browser, thank you very much, and I'm on dialup, so downloading a new one would take hours. So I only check the other board now when I'm at work, and never post there anymore.

Lisa
Old March 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Yeoman

I've been "over there."
Seems there has been an exodus from over there to over here.
I recall a previous exodus from over there to another board at one time.
I think CM has a better caliber of posters and moderators.
The people here are friendlier. I hope that won't change now.
And the moderators are more balanced. Ditto.
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Yeoman

You know what, I pray that I have not found this "other board" that some are talking about.

And that it was not one that I was already familair with, supported and respected right from the start, and still do for it's diversity and alternative.

If it is the one I think, then whatever and life goes on, different people, different strokes.

What I cannot condone is the feeling that a person may be ill due to personal attacks because of a cruise web site opinion. (I know, I've been there)

If we are talking about the same site, and some of you are reacting that way...shame on you.

Its just another cruise web board for God sake! It's not a competition, and no one deserves to get ill because of it.

But I am sure that none of you good people would get involved in such things and take the non existant moral high ground regarding "right" opinion on such a simple subject like cruising.

Do it here, or elsewhere its only opinion
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Admiral

David, I think that you just made me ill!
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: My gripe about CM boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedad
To any CM administrator,

I have only one gripe about CM. Is it possible that the system can be changed so after you make a post, the system can take you back to the thread you are on? It always takes you back to the thread page then you have to re enter the particular thread again. This would make it easier if you plan on responding to more than one post on a particular thread. Just a thought.
Do what I do, hit the back button a few times and you're there.