Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
Beginner

Default Best Money Saving Cruise Tip Ever!!!!

This could be the best money saving tip ever!

Travel Guard salespeople will lie to you to get your business!!!!! They just denied my wife and I a claim for $8,000.00!!!!! BEWARE, the salespeople intentionally do not tell you the whole truth when purchasing a policy. If you have a medical issue they won't always pay your claim EVEN if you have a doctors excuse!! They will fight your claim. Travel Guard salespeople will LIE to you and tell you a doctors excuse is all that's needed to get paid on a claim, they intentionally make it sound very easy, what they don't tell you is there are many, many stipulations involved. This is truly an unprofessional and underhanded company that tries to hide the truth from you so you will buy their insurance.
After you agree with the salesperson, commit to the policy and pay for it, they send you a packet with the real truth 2 WEEKS later! My mistake was taking the salesperson at face value. I was very thorough with the salesperson on the phone and felt all our bases were covered under any situation and felt there wasn't any reason for concern. Stupid and very costly mistake on my part, I guess it’s my fault for allowing them to rip me off but I thought this was a reputable company! I was very wrong; they are probably like a lot of companies these days “take the money and run?. They bury the truth so deep you don't see it until your money is gone. Don’t let Travel Guard's deceptive practices take your money too, ignore what the slimy salesperson says and ask for a copy of the policy BEFORE you pay them. Better yet, don’t support a company that will lie and try to hide the truth from you, they shouldn’t be allowed to take advantage of people this way, very sneaky business. Travel Guard got our $600.00, Carnival got our $8,000.00 and I got to stay home this sumer with a heart condition.

Does anyone know of an attorney that handles travel insurance litigation?
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Welcome to CruiseMates

Do hope you feel better venting.

But, it is a good lesson to learn for us.... read the contract you're buying. I believe the various types of insurance policies are available to examine on most of the insurance companies web sites.

Don't know what your particulars were as you didn't say, nor which policy you purchased. But am sorry to hear you got ill , were unable to cruise, and lost all your money.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Welcome to CruiseMates

Do hope you feel better venting.

But, it is a good lesson to learn for us.... read the contract you're buying. I believe the various types of insurance policies are available to examine on most of the insurance companies web sites.

Don't know what your particulars were as you didn't say, nor which policy you purchased. But am sorry to hear you got ill , were unable to cruise, and lost all your money.

It's not only about reading a policy thoroughly but about a company that employ's salespeople with deceptive practices.
I think I made your point very clearly in my statement though, reading the policy and not listening to the salesperson at Travel Guard, but thanks for reiterating.
I wrongly expected the Travel Guard salesperson to be truthful with me when asked questions and discussing the policy. I guess that would be too much to ask of a company representative? I was led to believe I understood all that was needed.
An Attorney that has litigated these cases in the past has already contacted me. Misrepresentation is against the law.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:04 AM
Admiral

I have 2 questions:

1. Was your condition pre-existing?

2. If so, did you buy the insurance within 14 days of booking your cruise?

If the answer to question 1 is yes and question 2 is no, you are out of luck.

I had a claim with Travel Guard back in 2001 when we had to cancel a cruise due to my stepdaughter being diagnosed with Lymphoma. Since I did not purchase the insurance within 14 days of booking the cruise, I had to submit extensive paperwork from the physicians showing that it was not a preexisting condition. Once submitted, they paid without hesitiation.

Because of my experience, I have now insured all of my cruises with them.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
I have 2 questions:

1. Was your condition pre-existing?

2. If so, did you buy the insurance within 14 days of booking your cruise?

If the answer to question 1 is yes and question 2 is no, you are out of luck.

I had a claim with Travel Guard back in 2001 when we had to cancel a cruise due to my stepdaughter being diagnosed with Lymphoma. Since I did not purchase the insurance within 14 days of booking the cruise, I had to submit extensive paperwork from the physicians showing that it was not a preexisting condition. Once submitted, they paid without hesitiation.

Because of my experience, I have now insured all of my cruises with them.
Doug, I'm very glad your situation worked out. According to my attorney these travel insurance companies revise policy fairly frequently. He informed me that claim denial is quite common in the travel insurance industry and usually can be resolved through litigation. He is willing to take my case on contingency so he must be pretty sure of himself. The issue that bothers me most is the Travel Guard salesperson misleading me to believe I had been completely informed of all the important aspects of this policy. It was my mistake for not reading the policy word for word but I skimmed the policy and expected the company to be honest and above board. Most importantly, my condition was, according to my attorney, should not have been deemed a preexisting condition; therefore even if I had read the policy word for word I'd still have this denial of claim situation.

However this turns out, I would like to warn all the other cruisers reading this to be aware when buying travel insurance...you may not really know if you are completely covered. Talking with the salesperson, reading and understanding the policy is only part of the equation. Keep in mind there is someone, typically on a fat commission, that is trying to sell you the policy and someone being paid to review your claim and do their best to not give away company money. It's beginning to be as much of a gamble with insurance as it is without!

I won't debate the insurance salespeople or representatives of insurance companies that frequent this board, as they will undoubtedly try to defend their positions. I know the games as well as they do now. Unfortunately, I will let my attorney handle the debates. Buyer beware.
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Passenger

Sorry you had a bad experience with TravelGuard insurance. We were on a cruise to Alaska on 9-ll and I thank God every day for TravelGuard. "Our" policy saved our butts!... it paid for food and lodging for the three days that we were stranded in Vancouver,BC.
It was worth every penny we paid for the coverage.
Old January 28th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Yeoman

This dont add up for me fastsneakers, forget what the sales guy did or did not say in your conversation. DID you declair a known condition or illness to him/her when discussing the policy?

If you did then your quids in and right, if you did not, then they are right in not covering you,,basic.

You have not actually explained this. How were you misled, what actually happenned?

AS a post note I will say a good chance the poster will not respond, as their agenda has not been "greeted" And they are not telling us the full story,,,duhh. My opinion, take out insurance, but be honest regarding health and if you are I do not see a problem when it come's to claiming.
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Pre existing conditions?

Basic question.

If a person has a known heart condition will a policy be more expensive than a healthy person?

If a person does not disclose a heart condition and has a heart attack onboard, will he be covered for say, needing an airlift back to the states?
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedad

Basic question.

If a person has a known heart condition will a policy be more expensive than a healthy person?

If a person does not disclose a heart condition and has a heart attack onboard, will he be covered for say, needing an airlift back to the states?
Rescue:

If you meet the conditions of the Pre-Existing Conditions Waiver (usually if the policy is purchased within 7 or 14 days of making the initial cruise deposit) you can have a heart or other chronic condition and the policy will not be more expensive. No health questions are required for the policy.

If you do not meet the conditions of the Pre-Existing Conditions Waiver, and you do make a health related claim, then you will be required to disclose your entire medical history, for at least 90 - 180 days (varies by policy) prior to the time you purchased the insurance.

Most policies price by age of the buyer, total cost of the trip and the part of the world you are traveling.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
First Mate

Default Misled about insurance

Could the original poster please advise what was the specifics as I don't understand? Since I purchase TravelGuard on every cruise I have a great deal of interest.If this matter was litigated , what was the outcome? THANKS
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Misled about insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbelt
Could the original poster please advise what was the specifics as I don't understand? Since I purchase TravelGuard on every cruise I have a great deal of interest.If this matter was litigated , what was the outcome? THANKS
I'm guessing the original poster is long gone. He has 4 posts only to vent about his travel guard experience. Who know for sure if he ever went to court? I was thinking of getting travel insurance for my up coming cruise so this is interesting.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 26th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

My experience with ANY insurance is that they all deny a first claim hoping the claimee (?) will suck it up and go away. Many insurance companies have this as a standing policy. You should always persue any legitimate claim multiple times until you recieve satisfaction.
Disney Wonder October 2009
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasic
My experience with ANY insurance is that they all deny a first claim hoping the claimee (?) will suck it up and go away. Many insurance companies have this as a standing policy. You should always persue any legitimate claim multiple times until you recieve satisfaction.
Not true, at least in my case.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Captain

I have no idea if the original poster has a legitmate gripe or not, but what does the number of posts he/she has made here have to do with anything?

If a cruiser who never posts on any message board had a bad experience
and wanted to let people know, where do you think they would post
other than Cruisemates, Cruiseclues, etc. Is that unexpected or wrong?

If the "gripes" forum isn't supposed to be used unless you are a seasoned
poster, that is news to me.

Cheers, Aidan
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan
I have no idea if the original poster has a legitmate gripe or not, but what does the number of posts he/she has made here have to do with anything?

I have no issue with first time posters who want to share there bad experiences to warn others. You can always learn something for the bad experiences an hopefully aviod having the same issues. I wasn't clear in my post. I have explained below.

Please all no matter how many posts you have free feel to jump in and gripe away. This was not my point see comments below.
Cheers, Aidan
Maybe I wasn't clear. Sorry about that. The number of posts with the date of the first post means the person is no longer posting on this website.

Billbelt was hoping the original poster would update him on what happened with the litgation. However, the original post was in 1/22/07 and the original poster only had 4 posts. Meaning he or she made these four posts in 2007 and was no longer a regular poster on this website.

This means sadly we will not get an update on this situation. I also was wondering what happened after he/she fought to have the claim paid. Did they get it resolved? Did they sue? We will never know.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Admiral

When did you start doing 'advice' posts on here

Nice one 8)

Oh and to the Newbies please look at the date of the thread, God love them the poster may be now dead for all you know,,,and it has happenned.

Talk to the folks talking today,,,,well for this week anyway, you never know about next week on here!
Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Good point Dayvid B !

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 9th, 2009, 02:35 PM
First Mate

Cheers, Aidan

Aidan, Welcome to Cruisemates!!!!!!!!
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennc

Cheers, Aidan

Aidan, Welcome to Cruisemates!!!!!!!!
I could and will explain again that my comment. My comment about the number of posts and also the age of the posts. Someone asked the originial poster a question, but the original poster only made 4 posts in 2007 over two years ago. This person is no longer a regular poster on this site and will not answer any questions asked. I don't care how long someone has posted here everyone has the right to gripe away in accordance with the rules of this website.

I made these two sentences large in the hope that my intent is now clear. If not that there is nothing more I can do to explain it to you.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Admiral

David and I have never purchased travel insurance in over 30 cruises each. We did lose our money on one 7 night cruise when I broke my foot and humerus. So to date we have lost about 3% of our cruise fares.

This would be equal (on average) to about $30 to $33 on each $1000 spent. It is very rare to find travel insurance available at a rate of $33 per thousand dollars spent. To us this is a better bargain to simply self insure, well knowing that there may be a loss on rare occasions.

There are many reasons specific to our needs, which lead us to this decision. It would seem that the claims paid out by many travel insurance companies are far less than the premiums garnered, or so it seems to us.

I know many will disagree and that this choice may not be for everyone.
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Palm
David and I have never purchased travel insurance in over 30 cruises each. We did lose our money on one 7 night cruise when I broke my foot and humerus. So to date we have lost about 3% of our cruise fares.

This would be equal (on average) to about $30 to $33 on each $1000 spent. It is very rare to find travel insurance available at a rate of $33 per thousand dollars spent. To us this is a better bargain to simply self insure, well knowing that there may be a loss on rare occasions.

There are many reasons specific to our needs, which lead us to this decision. It would seem that the claims paid out by many travel insurance companies are far less than the premiums garnered, or so it seems to us.

I know many will disagree and that this choice may not be for everyone.

I have been pleasantly challenged. Imagine cruising just one time and breaking your foot? Sorry Chuck, couldn't resist.
Wishing for 30 cruises...

Sweet Sailing!