Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Personally, I like the auto tipping, and I too always give a little something "extra" atthe end for exceptional service.

Not a fan of "raise the prices" and let the tip be included that way for several resaons.

With the autotipping, you still have the option of reducing a tip if the situation warrants (I have fortunately never had to do so).

It puts a litttle more effort on the cheapskates to "stiff" the staff.

I have stayed at several "all-inclusive" no tipping resorts in my travels and guess what? If you don't slide some tips throughout your stay, service does tend to go down.

So anytime I book a cruise and get quoted a price, I just automatically figure a few more dollars for the autotipping and budget a few more for extra tipping. I have no problems sharing some of my hard earned dollars with others a little less fortunate.

Happy sailing!!!

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Captain

Chris:

Don't know which all-inclusive land resorts you've visited. That's not been our experience with them, but I'm sure there are some where what you say is true.

What I do want to emphasise is that the "tips included" cruise lines REALLY MEAN IT! Really, nobody tips on them for service "within the duty description" of service crew. Once, I even offered a tip for something I felt was "beyond duty description" and it was rejected.
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Yeoman

How far do you take this "auto-tipping" and the people it reaches?

Me, well I don’t expect the Captain or his officers to get a slice. I also don’t expect the guy who keeps the engines working and his "crew" to get some either. Nor do I expect the chef and his gang to get some of it.

Why?, simply because of their skill, I expect them to be on a salary that reflects their job or role on ship and not reliant on a "tip pool" to make their money.

Key words, good salary paid for by job roles by us the line. Poor salary paid by us the line, but you can make good money through tipping.

That’s my worry with the "pool" is the lines use it to "bulk" and "subsidise" the salaries of those of those that do not give direct customer service.

That’s why I hand out bucks to those that made my vacation. Below and above decks they should be paid already.

I am not being a subsidy to a lines decision of poor pay to those that should be earning enough to do their job.
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

This is something that I choose not to worry about. I do auto tipping, and trust that the powers that be, will divide it out like it should be. I also tip each to my room steward, and the waiter and assistant in the dining room. This is done very quietly, sometimes even spyish, so that others around them can not see.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Yeoman

Well Lu, that’s my problem, as I NEVER "trust that the powers that be" are honest and fair.

And again, I will not subsidise any poor salary regime that they feel "they can impliment" and so take advantage of me as as a person, hoping that I will cover it all up by "auto tipping".

How many people dont get this? Auto tipping is the lines way of making up poor salaries from them, simple
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Captain

David:

I agree with you, in that both auto tipping and 'envelope tipping" are merely ways for the cruise lines that use them to get passengers to make up for their poor wages for service personnel. The lines are thereby able to advertise lower fares, and include the tips with a list of "oh, yeahs" we are hit with once we are onboard. It's the same in restaurants right here at home. Do I like the system? No, I think it stinks. Do I go along with it and tip where customary. Yes, and pretty well. I can't change the system on the back of some poor waiter or steward.

Again, if given the choice between auto tipping and envelope tipping, I'd prefer auto tipping, as I don't like to cary much cash on vacation. But my REAL first choice is for those handfull of lines where tips are REALLY included in the fare, and no further tipping is REALLY done. And oh, yes, the service crew are REALLY paid much better on those lines. There is quite a waiting list to work on them.
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Passenger

No "AT" tipping for me. First there was VM then Email and "Blackberries" etc. We are becoming so insulated from each other.

My thoughts, I'll tip over the suggested guidelines. Only caveat, I'll do it personally including my observations & insights on their overall performance during the cruise. I've ALWAYS found that this approach resonates very well with the recipient.

NOTHING replaces a person to person heart felt & sincere conversation. I believe we need more of this in our everyday lives.
Old March 31st, 2007, 08:01 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
How far do you take this "auto-tipping" and the people it reaches?

Me, well I don’t expect the Captain or his officers to get a slice. I also don’t expect the guy who keeps the engines working and his "crew" to get some either. Nor do I expect the chef and his gang to get some of it.

Why?, simply because of their skill, I expect them to be on a salary that reflects their job or role on ship and not reliant on a "tip pool" to make their money.

Key words, good salary paid for by job roles by us the line. Poor salary paid by us the line, but you can make good money through tipping.

That’s my worry with the "pool" is the lines use it to "bulk" and "subsidise" the salaries of those of those that do not give direct customer service.

That’s why I hand out bucks to those that made my vacation. Below and above decks they should be paid already.

I am not being a subsidy to a lines decision of poor pay to those that should be earning enough to do their job.
You do realize that on many lines that have autotip (eg HAL) that if you remove it (which it sounds like you do) and tip separately, that money has to be turned into the pool. So you may think you are bucking the cruise lines system, but in fact you are not.

I do agree though with what you are saying.

Brenda
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:12 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wando
You do realize that on many lines that have autotip (eg HAL) that if you remove it (which it sounds like you do) and tip separately, that money has to be turned into the pool. So you may think you are bucking the cruise lines system, but in fact you are not.

I do agree though with what you are saying.

Brenda
I figure the probability of cash tips being pooled, is right up there with the odds that restaurant servers claim all of their tips to the government. That dog, just won't hunt.

If the cruise line does demand that all tips be pooled, most are going to sandbag.
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:23 PM
Captain

Well, I think that if we all really knew what happened to our tip money (whether by auto tipping, envelpe tipping, or "sliding" someone a few dollars "on the side) we'd be much better equipped to discuss this matter. But I fear we will never know the answer. Cruise lines are a bit like phantoms, legally. They may have their corporate offices here in the US, but their ships operate from foriegn flags, meaning that (as the lines claim) what goes on at sea is beyond US jurisdiction. And tipping (so the lines claim) is something that goes on at sea. The entire matter of service crew pay is beyond US jurisdiction, according to the lines. Do I like it this way. Heck no! Will the US government assert jurisdiction over the lines that could be done on the basis that their headquarters are here? Not under the present administration. So, for us passengers, it all boils down to whether we would like to be able to charge tips to our ship's account, or carry cash to pay them, or "stiff" our service crew, or chose lines with tips that are REALLY included. The way the US allows cruise lines to operate, these are really the only choices we have.
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Actually, There is a break down on here somewhere, that tells you who gets what. It is public knowledge.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

On Holland America; the "Behind the Scenes" staff that share a small percentage of the pool are galley and laundry staff. This comes from Dieter Regermorter, the Hotel Manager of the Statendam.

Pulling yourself out of the auto-tipping program will cause problems for your cabin and dining staff. These people will have to explain if they received any cash money and you will have to explain why you took yourself out of the program at the time you go to the desk. If you take yourself out of the program you better turn in a comment card to back up your positive or negative comments about the dining and cabin staff otherwise it could reflect negatively on their next assignments for the next cruise.

This may not be what you want to hear but that's how it works.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 1st, 2007, 04:16 PM
Yeoman

Mike appreciated, but

1/ It will not cause me a problem
2/ I will never explain myself to the "desk" as to why as a passenger and person that I have taken this action.
3/ My opinion card, is my opinion and will reflect what I experienced.

Point 4, I still beleive that "auto tipping" leads to poor service as the "money" is already in the bag
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:03 PM
Captain

David:

I've heard many others say that auto tipping causes poor service, so it must be true, at least in some cases. I don't personally know. All I do know is those lux lines I used to take when they had a "special" (that have now priced themselves out of my reach) suffered from no loss in service due to the fact that service crew was essentially on salary. Of course, the lux lines present us with a different work culture for the service crew. These folks are motivated by the fact that they like the salary situation (instead of "tip hustling") and there is a long line of applicants eager to take their jobs should they "drop the ball." Also, these lux lines have more service personnel per 100 guests than do the mass market lines, resulting in better working conditions for the service crew as well, and making it easier for the service crew to provide great service.
Old April 1st, 2007, 06:12 PM
Admiral

David,

I have noticed no change at all in service since they started auto-tipping. Perhaps, in time, this may change.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Familiar Face

One other thing to remember that service levels are not just dependent on tipe. A crew members job is dependant on good service. Any complaints can result in that crew member being sent home and therefore losing his/her job. So I doubt you will see service level declines in auto tipping lines, unless the particular crew member doesn't care if he/she keeps their job.

Brenda
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
Yeoman

Good points guys and thanks for info. You are "maybe" leading me towards a rethink

Its appreciated, maybe I'm tooooo old fashioned and dont get this yet, that with the money already in the bank...I will get the service I expect.

See thats what I love about this place, you think something, others make you rethink.

mmm
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Passenger

I'm on the con side of auto tipping. I think the level of service has declined since ships have instituted the policy. I prefer to give cash (at least the minimum suggested) to the people who have served me. A simple solution to the quandry regarding the buffet staff is to add another group: Cabin Stewart/Asst, Waiter/Bus Person & Buffet staff.
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by giogyrl
. A simple solution to the quandry regarding the buffet staff is to add another group: Cabin Stewart/Asst, Waiter/Bus Person & Buffet staff.
Usually on most ships the dining room waiters etc...rotate around to the buffet at some point during your cruise ...so there really is no quandry.

I have not found the service suffered on the lines we have been on with auto tipping.
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Yeoman

Okay still listening, but yet to be convinced.

Ever eat in an "onshore" establishment that "service was already included"

Do you always pay it? Are you always happy with what you received in both food and service standards? Or do you just shrug, pay it and then never come back?

Me, I like the choice, so I dont go for the "all in" scenario and apart from hearing a couple of posts, have heard nothing that would change my mind as to why its a good thing
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Default Tipping on the 1st Day of the Cruise

Has anyone ever tipped upfront, on the first day of the cruise? I have done this on NCL PoAm and on Carnival Destiny. Why? Because I am solo and I wanted the room stewart to get the same tip as if there were two people and to grease the way in case I become a bit of a bother. (I can be a little O.C.D.)

On another board I was told that tipping upfront may offend some cultures and therefore it is not a good idea.

I have also heard suggestions of leaving prepaid international calling cards behind as part of your tips or even the paperbacks that you finish on board. I don't know about that but on the Destiny as I was leaving the ship, I gave the room steward another $20 bill and handed him the remainder of my bottle of rum punch that I only took one drink out of. He seemed more happy about the rum punch than the $20 bill.

My logic is, if I am going to tip extra, I might as well tip upfront and gain the full benefit of this double (or triple) tip.

Does anyone have an opinion on tipping the room stewards upfront or leaving gifts/items behind for the room steward?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

I always remove the auto-tipping and then hand out cash tips personally to those who I feel deserve it. I don't use the dining room, so I would rather give my tips personally to the buffet waitstaff who have served me over the course of the cruise. This way, I don't have to worry about which staff members are included in the auto-tip and which aren't. I know that the people who made my cruise enjoyable are being rewarded.

The total amount that I tip is always more than the recommended amount, just distributed in the way that I think is appropriate instead of by the cruiseline's system.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 05:48 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruise99
I always remove the auto-tipping and then hand out cash tips personally to those who I feel deserve it. I don't use the dining room, so I would rather give my tips personally to the buffet waitstaff who have served me over the course of the cruise. This way, I don't have to worry about which staff members are included in the auto-tip and which aren't. I know that the people who made my cruise enjoyable are being rewarded.

The total amount that I tip is always more than the recommended amount, just distributed in the way that I think is appropriate instead of by the cruiseline's system.
Depending on the cruiseline they still have to hand in the tip to the general pool so it may be a wasted effort on your part.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:06 PM
Captain

This business of "pooling of tips" seems to be one of the great mysteries of cruising. Do all lines pool tips? If not, which do and which don't? I have never seen a definitige answer on this. Anybody know -- really know -- not just guess?

Thanks,
Richard
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu48
Depending on the cruiseline they still have to hand in the tip to the general pool so it may be a wasted effort on your part.
That may be true of the cabin steward since he is expected to be receiving a tip from me and will look bad if he doesn't. However, most of the other staff I tip are people like bar waiters and buffet personnel. Nobody would be expecting me to tip them and I hand it to them very discretely, so there is a good chance that it never makes it into the pool. If they do turn it in, either out of a sense of obligation or fear of losing their job, that is their decision, but at least they were given the opportunity to know how much their service was greatly appreciated.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:27 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by babe ruth
This business of "pooling of tips" seems to be one of the great mysteries of cruising. Do all lines pool tips? If not, which do and which don't? I have never seen a definitige answer on this. Anybody know -- really know -- not just guess?

Thanks,
Richard
In the FAQ on the Cruiselines website it usually tells you if the tips are pooled.
If in doubt ask the Purser onboard.
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
I agree 100%. No matter what rationalization they use to stop auto-tipping they come off as cheapskates who probably still think leaving a buck is a good tip for a $100 meal.
That is exactly what they are, cheapskates! :evil:
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Passenger

Bill, I believe you may be exaggerating a bit. I intend to remove the AT. Simply don't find anything appealing about it. But, I do tip very generously, far above the usual guidelines. My sense is that many others do the same.

By distributing tips individually, I believe it has more meaning for everyone involved. We live in such an insulated society as it is. Any reason to increase personal interaction is something that I embrace as often as possible.

Simply one man's thoughts.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmhealth
Bill, I believe you may be exaggerating a bit. I intend to remove the AT. Simply don't find anything appealing about it. But, I do tip very generously, far above the usual guidelines. My sense is that many others do the same.

By distributing tips individually, I believe it has more meaning for everyone involved. We live in such an insulated society as it is. Any reason to increase personal interaction is something that I embrace as often as possible.

Simply one man's thoughts.
I stand corrected, if you do tip them individually it is a much better way than what the cruise line does. In fact on my next cruise I may do it to be certain the right people get the tip I intend for them. Thanks for that info.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Instead of removing our tips, we just leave them on our account, get envelopes for the people we want to give extra to. The ones we don't give extra, we just write a very nice thank you note. This way we can still preserve the personal interaction and make them feel good too.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302