Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: I just dont think they look nice in formal dresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbowman
I do have to admit that I am quilty of looking more at a person who is covered in tattoos just as I am likely to raise my eyebrows at a swimsuit that does not cover as much as would be proper.
Me too!
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Ah the old arguement comes up again, its about 'look at me'. Well they caught your attention as a person, but is it for the right reasons?

How many people are on that ship or beach, so why did your eye or attention get driven towards them with tats compared to everyone else?

I'll say why, because it was out of place in what you expected to see in that scenario or it was so extreme in 'art' that you could not help but look.

Yeah its all personal my butt, its done for affect by most that will also have the chance and want others around them to see the most permanent statement that some people will ever make in their lives
Old September 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Passenger

as the husband of J Skow I got my first tat 2 years ago but only after considering it for the last 15+ years. It is tastefully done classic shoulder tat of an eagel head superimposed over a flag. It is really an expression of who I am and I am proud of it. Do not judge somebody's tat until you know what has moved them to do this. On the other hand just having tats because they are in is just as wrong as farting in the front pew
Old September 30th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskow
Do not judge somebody's tat until you know what has moved them to do this.
Well put J Skow's husband!!
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old September 30th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
A simple question here, what did you feel as a person at the time or times, that made you think...I have got to get these permanent thngs done to my body, what was so important that said that to you. Making the decision that I'm sure as a person that I can live with this mark on my body for the rest of my life? No blast here from me,,, just a question to help me understand why people do it.
I have liked tattoos for a very long time, and knew long before I was legal to get one that I would have one.
I spent years deciding on the designs I have, and each are very personal to me. They are a tribute to my heritage, and to a lesser extent, my love of bears.
I chose a form of artistic expression that required me to make a lifetime decision. It's still just one form of body painting, but a permanent one. Other women chose to paint their faces with a temporary body modification, but the original intent is still there.
Carnival Conquest - 1/14/2007
Carnival Ecstasy - 1/30/2005
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

If you are going to make permanent changes to your body I think breast implants and liposuction are a better investment.

It always amazes me the people that can't afford to go to the dentsist but spend tons of money disfiguring their body with tattoos.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
If you are going to make permanent changes to your body I think breast implants and liposuction are a better investment. Dude, I will fall over forward if I get a breast implant.

It always amazes me the people that can't afford to go to the dentsist but spend tons of money disfiguring their body with tattoos.
I have wonderful teeth. Besides if a gal is getting a breast implant instead of a tattoo who is looking at her teeth.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 1st, 2008, 05:18 PM
Admiral

rjburd, that thread or thought, on what are you actually calling me on here. Yes all that was your choice, thats what I am saying.

But the fact it was your choice in acceptance or personal need, does not automatically meet the acceptance of others viewing you with your art.

Problem with tats is they give a statement without words, so others dont always know the why and the whatever reason going on in the head of the person that has them.

So its a REALLY personal thing, and some folks can be this way in action, and shout, be loud, make a point, tell a story. I can hear them and I can now understand why they are acting this way.

But tats are so personal, I look, and I wonder why.

So I wonder why this person did what they did to their body and I shake my head, as whatever that tat means to them its a cop out as they did not feel strong enough or had enough self esteem to express it in other ways.

So they are a symbol of I need to make a statement in my life, but the easiest way for me to do it is paint it on my body, no words required.

Most will just see tats and no message,,,thats sad
Old October 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
rjburd, that thread or thought, on what are you actually calling me on here. Yes all that was your choice, thats what I am saying.

But the fact it was your choice in acceptance or personal need, does not automatically meet the acceptance of others viewing you with your art.

Problem with tats is they give a statement without words, so others dont always know the why and the whatever reason going on in the head of the person that has them.

So its a REALLY personal thing, and some folks can be this way in action, and shout, be loud, make a point, tell a story. I can hear them and I can now understand why they are acting this way.

But tats are so personal, I look, and I wonder why.

So I wonder why this person did what they did to their body and I shake my head, as whatever that tat means to them its a cop out as they did not feel strong enough or had enough self esteem to express it in other ways.

So they are a symbol of I need to make a statement in my life, but the easiest way for me to do it is paint it on my body, no words required.

Most will just see tats and no message,,,thats sad
Dayvid, first know that I wasn't trying to call you anything in my post. I'm not exactly sure I understand the beginning of your post.

Also, I don't show my tatts very often, normally my clothes cover them. I meant it that they are personal to me; I didn't get them for everyone else to see, but for me to see.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Every aspect of our appearance can be interpreted by others as a "statement". I have very long hair and have been told that it is a futile attempt to regain my youth...by a perfect stranger, no less. People see things through the screen of their own preconceptions.
I also get razzed every time I go north to my ultra conservative home town. Why? Because I like clothes with some color in them. I do wear black, especially when dressing up, but I also love blues and pinks. Horrors! I'm not going to try to conform to others' expectations. Partly because it is impossible since everyone has different points of view.

Marty
Old October 2nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Admiral

An apology to rjburd, not sure what I was meaning in my head either, but whatever it was, it did not translate to my fingers.

What I think I tried to say is, all that is personal to the tat person, and if you keep yours hidden and personal fine.

My problem is when they are used as statements, and a lot are.

And Marty, plenty of other statements and scenarios in there that go up with the tats regarding social acceptance and since you brought it up

Why dont some women not know or understand the time has come to change things, to reflect themself either to suit their age or there shape.

Oh I take that back, its not just women, some men do it to. But, as a person, why set yourself up to be ridiculed in the eyes of others as you did not move on in times, either in fashion, to reflect your for age and your shape.

Like tats such 'stuck in' scenarios are also a statement, and quite sad, and its as if the person does not know how to move on from a period in time that made them comfortable

They could be sixty in age but in their head they are still 25 and dress or style their hair and present themselves accordingly.

mmm, move on
Old October 2nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Passenger

I wear what I want, I grow my hair like I like it, it is all about what I want and am comfortable with. It doesn't really matter to me what anyone else thinks of it. Everyone is individual, present yourself how you would like. I will wait and see if I like someone on the inside before I make any judgements about them. To each their own........Be comfortable in your own skin..........in the end, that is all that matters! Life is too short to worry about what other people think of you!!!!!
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Anna,
You go, girl.

Dayvid B,
I will not waste my time, energy, or money trying to fit someone's idea of what a woman my age should look like. Not yours, not my family's, no one's! I am not stuck in the past, just gotten old enough to not care anymore. Young people sometimes care too much, especially about their peers' opinions or going contrary to authority figures. I wasn't like that either. So, why should I give a hoot now?
Gilda Radner once said she based her wardrobe choices mostly on what did not itch. I'm so in her camp.
Marty
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Okay good points guys, but l have a reality about myself and how others see me on a daily basis. I know I don’t look like I did at 20, 30 or 40. Fifty seemed to change a lot and I had to really look in the mirror in how I presented myself

So if something like tats stands out to others as a statement of ‘people like or dislike them’ then, so must the rest of the things that others do in their and others eyes.

Mutton dressed as lamb
Style based on a time warp
People that can only talk about things that happenned to them 20 or 30 years ago.

So it’s easy to be judgemental for the majority when looking at the minority in all these scenarios.

Unfortunately, the people with the tats are an easy target as a lot of people don’t relate to them, but so are all the others that are also living a statement in their lives that we cant socially understand, so we ignore or comment on them behind closed doors, for their dress sense, style for their age, or over doing the 'surgery'. Be honest we all laugh at then

All the things we snigger about behind peoples backs, that’s the sad bit..But I agree

Its your life,, yes it is. But you have to have some self respect in it. Why try to look like something that others around you are laughing at or thinking,,, oh dear

Anna are you really telling us the whole truth here, in that is how you think or act and physically you dont care how others see you.

"I wear what I want, I grow my hair like I like it, it is all about what I want and am comfortable with. It doesn't really matter to me what anyone else thinks of it".

Sorry, but given your avator, I think you think a lot about how others see you
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

OMG! This is still alive and kicking. It's been over a year now since the original post. That's longevity!
Old October 4th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Passenger

Default i love my tattoos!!!

after my 7 years on ships, i have seen thousands of tattoos, i love to find out what they mean to people. i have 3 on my lower back, a cluster of stars as my family so they are always with me when i'm away from home, my guardian angel, and a butterfly where what seems to be called a tramp stamp. loving that definition, does my symbol of freedom an being able to go where i wan make me a tramp too??!!!! i wouldn't change my tattoos for anything, i love having them, love having people comment on them, i once had a guy on the beach in hawaii comment on them, cos his wife had stars the same as me symbolising her family and he was so excited he brought he over to comapare!! but at least when im 70 i can cover them if i want, you don't know they're there unless i choose to show you. each to there own i say, if you don't like it, look the other way. :D
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Actually, not all of us laugh at people behind their backs, Dayvid. And if my style gives someone a private chuckle at my expense, so be it. Probably makes them feel superior or something and if they need that, they can have it. I truly don't care. And, just because Anna looks to be an attractive woman does not mean that she cares a lot about what others think of her appearance.
Come on, now, I know that you love to stir things up, but you are really reaching this time!
Marty, who is so sick of this thread that I may run out and get a tat just so I can post a picture of it and let you lauch at me
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Old October 4th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Admiral

I mean no disrespect to any of you, that’s number one in this discussion.

But in life if you take a stance, either in dress and for that I will use the PUNKS as an example, most folks did not get it, socially we did not know how to deal or act with these people,,,and that was based on how they dressed, looked and presented themselves. Most folks felt they could not even talk or make eye contact with these people, as for one they did not know how to even start a conversation with them, they could not relate to them.

That same mentality also goes on in other areas, yes punks or people with tats are dead easy to see or react to, why, because in my head I don’t understand them, why look like that, why dress like that, why have that “thing” through your nose?????.

But when it comes to the "other" normal people that you think that you do understand, then people can also be judgemental, or some may call it "*****y".

Same thing, people who have moved on in time or in age, sometimes don’t understand why others feel they have to be left behind in dress sense or personal style.

I am not saying be a clone, but yes be yourself in a way that is good for you and a reality of how old, or a reality of your age today, dont live for yesterday.

I will give you a personal example, in my 20's I had a head of hair to do the "John Travolta" slick and combed back hair from Sat Night Fever, and dd it.

Now fifty something, I still have that head of hair that could do that, but how stupid would I look with that hair style today And how many others around me would be saying OMG, look at him.

Thats all I am saying
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelBugs
OMG! This is still alive and kicking. It's been over a year now since the original post. That's longevity!
You are most welcome for the entertainment, I started it all tongue in cheek but this thing is like the Energizer Bunny, it keeps going and going and going!
Old October 6th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Admiral

And who are you talking to us with that suddo 50's hair style and clean cut "all American Boy" look,, Was that your prom picture?

Very big grin, my cool and no disrespect 8)
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Yeoman

No it was taken in April '07 when I celebrated the big "50"!
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Familiar Face

Default love my tats!

I have 3 tats and I'm 53. Got my first one 10 yrs ago. They can be conversation starters! I like to hear people's stories about what, if anything, they mean to them. Or, just admiring the artwork. I just view them as body art. I have one on my hand. One of the most common remarks people make is "what are you going to do when you're old". I just reply that I guess I'll just have a flower garden. Hey, if I live to be "old", I won't too much care! The rudest remark I've ever heard anyone make was once when I was getting a hair cut. A young lady was cutting my hair and the customer next to us asked what ever made her get "those ugly tattoos". Of course the young lady was pretty much in tears, until I pointed out that the uncouth customer had over-colored red hair, blue eyelids and ghastly red lips. Well, I guess, it's to each his own!
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Admiral

"No it was taken in April '07 when I celebrated the big "50"!

Hey respect, I did not know you could get "work" that looked that good. I could do with some of that, is it expensive

Cals Granny, yip okay, so we agree it goes both ways.
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Passenger

Wow, it has been a little while since I have checked in on this. To DayvidB, yes I am telling the whole truth. I dress for me, not anyone else. I have a couple of Aunts that don't like it when I wear strapless tops or backless ones, but that is what I want to wear in the summer sometimes and so that is what I am going to do. NO DISRESPECT to them, but that is what I want to wear. They also think I should wear short hair, but there you go again, I don't want my hair short and teased like theirs. That is just me! I am comfortable in what I do, everyone should be! It would be a boring world if everyone looked and acted the same. We are individuals and should present ourselves like individuals. I like running across people that do things different. It makes life interesting. To Marty, I really like the way you think!!!!! You like what you like no matter what anyone else thinks. I love it!!
Old October 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Back at ya, Anna!
Marty
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Passenger

Dayvid, no apologies necessary.
But I'm not sure I understand the need to keep them covered. Mine are 95ish% of the time, but that's my choice just like gettings the tatts in the first place.
When I do dress in a way that allows them to show, so be it. So be it also, to the folks who would feel a need to laugh or pass judgement on me.
When I chose my tatts, and especially when I designed my beat tatt, I did so for myself without one thought to who would like them beyond myself. When I put down more than a pretty penny for the permanent ink, once again I did so for myself.
As far as society not knowing how to interact with someone such as me, the folks on my rounds when I'm delivering meals to shut-ins don't seem to care one whit if I'm tattooed or have monkeys flying out of my butt.
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Admiral

If I had the chance, then after 10 minutes of talking to you I would see the person you are and see past the tats.

It may be old school, but sadly a lot of folks are put off that conversation as they can only see the tat or tats and not comfortable with what they THINK is the person presented.

I guess its a generation thing, and due to its popularity today, its potentially something that in a generations time will not even cross most folks minds.

So I give that, but I still stand by....why would people do this to their bodies and for a lot of folks that dont do it, that thought or perception of the individual will not go away,, even 100 years from now. Some will still think why have they done that?

But respect to you and all with tats, your thing, but not mine as I cannot get my head around it, the need to have one or three or ten
Old November 8th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Admiral

Give it up all you tattoo lovers, the people that don't have them, hate them and bash all the tattoo lovers of the world will never give up their sanctimonious blah, blah, blah.

Wear them proud, you don't owe anyone an explanation or reason why you love them.

People get fixated on things that don't merit a moment's thought. Life is too short to lambast someone's personal choices over and over and over. To all you tattoo haters, WE DON'T CARE.

Rose (proud owner of lots and lots of tattoos, all over and everywhere, my only regret is not starting when I was young, I could have had an awesome body suit by now).
Old November 9th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Here, here and good for you

The fact I may be one of "the people that don't have them, hate them and bash all the tattoo lovers"

Eh I dont, I just question what makes folks do it,,,I dont hate, in fact no-one here has said that.

"Wear them proud, you don't owe anyone an explanation or reason why you love them".

okay, but you are boring me now, and presented nothing to the people that dont understand them...and why some do it.

Apart from the thought, the attitude presented above if I met you as a person may meet me before your tats. But I would see the package and have a very good idea of you as a person, as what you are advocating is, stuff them, as we dont care. Yip dont have tats but I could do that as well, but dont.

Yip a lot of people take that attitude on ship or in life, and to be honest they dont need tats to do it,,it all just smacks of ME and tat or not I have a problem with "look at me or listen to me people".

Me, I just live in the world of being able to say having seen some vocally opinionated or tat presented person presenting themselves to me and others, your either my type of person or not, forget tats as a reason.

But I have to be honest those with tats usually confuse me when I try to have a conversation with a person that relates to my life
Closed Thread