Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Default Dining at the Captains Table

What is the big deal about eating at the Captains Table???? Some people actually want to! Why???? Deb and I do not pay out a lot of money for our vacation to eat with the help!
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I guess some feel it is an honor. The Captain's table was next to us on my last cruise and there was a couple on their 90th RCI cruise that sat with him. The husband had a little much to drink though and dozed off.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Admiral

On our last cruise we were seated next to the captains table also and it seemed that no one was really interested to talking with him. The other guests at the table had a good time talking among themselves but very little conversation was directed toward him. I thought that was kinda' strange.
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Dining at the Captains Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
What is the big deal about eating at the Captains Table???? Some people actually want to! Why???? Deb and I do not pay out a lot of money for our vacation to eat with the help!
Gee and I thought Lady Astor had passed away. The original crack about eating with the help was hers.

I believe the big deal is in bragging rights even more than the experience, if you are into social climbing.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Admiral

The captains come from a variety of other countries. Some really don't speak English well enough to keep up dinner conversation. Read a scripted and rehearsed announcement or intro of officers at Welcome Party, yes. Chat casually, not so much.
Marty
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I met our Captain on the Mariner last year and enjoyed a few conversations with him in various venues. I have decided I want to be a Captain because they get all the babes!

8)

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

The Captain drives a big ship and wears a cool uniform and the few I've spoken to aren't really all that exciting.

My cabbie is the funniest guy I know and we go to lunch all the time.

So, if I'm invited to dine with the Captain, I'm going to talk about my cabbie.

belgique
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

While on a cruise on the Celebrity Zenith several years ago, we were invited to go through the Panama Canal on the bridge as a guest of the Captain. We still don't know why were chosen, but it was something we will never forget. The view from the bridge was incredible. That evening we were also invited to dine with the Captain. We had the best time. He was charming and very funny and the conversation was very lively. As a souvenir, we were given a photo of all at the table along with their names and their home countries. Dining with the Captain can be a memorable experience. It's what you make it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM
First Mate

In many instances the other people at the Capt,s table are very interesting and most with many cruises and excellent stories.The wine served some of the best and the cocktails in one of the lounges a nice touch.On Celebrity we had reseved seats for the show after dinner and complementary after dinner drinks.Rest assure that the sevice at the table the best they have to offer.Yes, Iwould be pleased to eat with the Captain on any cruise.
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Admiral

The only captain I have dined with is Captain Chaos...

Anyone remember "Cannonball Run"

Captain Chaos appears to have enhanced strength, perhaps fueled by Victor's rushes of adrenaline in times of danger or need. His appearances are always prefaced by the vocal fanfare "Dun dun DUNNNN!!" (to approximate Chaos' theme music)

When Victor transforms into Captain Chaos, he speaks very dynamically and deep like a stereotypical superhero. He laughs heartily when villains and foes fall beneath his heavy hand of justice, and he stands triumphantly akimbo when the danger has passed. Captain Chaos also appears to be fearless and to possess superhuman skills at driving an automobile.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Familiar Face

On my last cruise, which shall remain a mystery, I met and became very good friends with two women. Both ended up in the Captains cabin....on a constant basis, though not at the same time.

I did not tell one or the other about the other. I was rather amused! Both women were single and able to take of themselves...

HR
NCL Spirit November 2006
HAL Rotterdam April 2007
NCL Spirit August 2007
Caribbean Princess May 2009
NCL Star RFamilyVacations July 2009
Carnival Glory July 2010
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Admiral

See!! That is why I want to be a Captain!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Beginner

Hey Give us a break!

We have been invited on several occasions to dine with the Captain! It certainly beats some of the diners we have been "stuck with!.

I will eat with anyone when invited, that picks up the bar tab!

Pre Dinner Champagne!

Excellent wine with Dinner!

Vintage Port with dessert!

Excellent Brandy with Coffee!

One lady once asked how we had been chosen and "Had we won a raffle or something!

Heres hoping! lol

Old October 26th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Passenger

If I got the invite, I be talking technical stuff with the Captain and crew. Once ona bridge tour, I spotted a piece of equipment that we used on aircraft in the Air Force. The navigator and I got to talking about it and I got to stay behind after the tour and got to see it in action. I spent a good two hours on the bridge getting a much better understanding of seamanship.
Old October 26th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Admiral

I cannot think of a scenario worse than "dining with the captain"...mm

One person who does not really want to be there...as it's just duty to the line and expected... and another bunch of "know it all's" when it comes to cruising that you have to sit with.

Why would anyone in a right mind want to?
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Peggy and I had a wonderful experience dining with Captain Lief Otto Bang on Radiance several years ago. His wife and daughter were with him as well as the new Captain who was going to take over at the next port. There were also three other couples.

I really think he had a good time, as did we. We just lucked into it, since we weren't staying in the royal Suite or such, where most of the people who get to dine with the captain usually come from. I guess we got it since we had been on his ship on a previous cruise where the waves got to 55 feet.
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Why is this Captains Table such a big thing, I really dont get it.

Grandeur and history, that in todays society is actually quite sad, as he's a glorified driver / employee, would you feel so excited if the Greyhound bus driver had given you the same invitation to dine?

So why is some ships "Captain" diffferent, dont get it
Old October 27th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Admiral

DayvidB,

I think it may take a little more training, education and experience to be ship's captain than a bus driver. Captains also get the babes, bus drivers do not. I think they make more money too.

I think there is much more responsibility in being a ships captain than a bus driver. Also the passengers tend to be more affluent onboard the ship than on the bus.

8)

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 27th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Admiral

We have been invited to dine with the captain on two different occasions on two different cruises. All in all, it was an elegant affair which takes place on formal night.

The guests that are invited, are met in the lounge by the captain's club hostess and treated to hor d'ourvres and cocktails/beverages while waiting for the captain. When the captain arrives, you are introduced and brought to the dining table. The service is optimal. Both times the captain's were very friendly, articulate, and interesting. These captain's are very educated, speak English (of course) and are very diplomatic. The other guests were interesting and both evenings were enjoyable and we were honored to be part of this experience.

To compare the "master of a vessel" to a bus driver is an insult, with my apologies to bus drivers. To be captain of a vessel requires over eight years of higher education in such fields as navigation, communication, meteorology, security and of course protocol/diplomacy. They also have to take refresher courses every few years.

As for "dining with the help", the last captain we had dinner with, was actually a millionaire that owned property in several different countries and owned quite a bit of RCCL stock.

To each their own, but for us it was an experience that we will remember forever.

Manuel
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Admiral

We have over two dozen cruises under our belt on 5 different lines.
Two times we have been asked to dine at the Captains table.
Once on Celebrity and once on Princess.
We did not in any way beg, cajol, bribe, armtwist. play politics, seduce the lady purser, or anything else to get the invitation. Neither time were we in a suite. Both times as I remember it was a friendly dinner, not a bunch of stiff shirts trying to make techincal talk with the Captain. I think the Captains appreciated just being able to eat and make general conversation without having to give their life's history and explain everything from a to z about the ship and it's workings. A lot of how it goes at the Captains table depends on the guests he has to eat with.
I never in anyway felt an air of importance or " look at us--were at the Captains table " attitude about it.
I think I know why we were chosen both times.
On Celebrity, I had talked with the Maitr'e D when we first boarded and obtained a table for 2. During my conversation with him, I learned he had been the Maitr'e D on the Horizon back when it first entered service and
we had sailed it back then. The head waiter apparently learned this from the Maitr'e D, as he would visit with us every night at dinner and had mentioned the Horizon a couple times. One night I saw a young lady enter the dining room and seemed to be looking directly toward us. She came straight to our table and struck up a conversation with us, how was our cruise, etc. etc.. After a few minutes she left and went directly out of the dining room, not stopping to talk with anyone else. I knew something was in the works but not exactly what.
Then the next day we recieved the invitation to dine at the Captains table.
Our head waiter was one of the servers at the Captain's dinner and the next night at our regular table, I asked him if he had anything to do with us getting the invitation. He smiled and said maybe a little. I learned the young lady who had visited us at our table that evening was the social hostess and that the head waiter had asked her to come by and talk to us.
So, thats how we ended up at the Captain's table , with my wife seated next to the Captain, on Celebrity.
On Princess, we had done a wedding vow renewal ceremony, along with a few other couples. All the ceremonies were done on the same day in the afternoon. We also recieved an invitation to tour the bridge. I noticed that the other couples on the bridge tour were the ones from the vow renewal ceremony.Then we recieved the dining invitation and I noticed there were
2 couples besides my wife and I who had done the vow renewal thingee.
We all were compatible and had a good time.
Would I dine at the Captain's table again ? Yes, as a measure of respect. Would I ever try or do anything out of the ordinary to get to dine there again ? No. It was not a big deal to me one way or the other.
There's a few things we all have in common. We are all human beings-- the Captain puts his pants on like everyone else--- he has 24 hours in a day like all of us do-- he has a job that I couldn't do without the proper education and training-- I doubt he could have done my job without the proprer education and training, so there we are.
Maybe to some it's the ultimate to get to eat at his table and I'm sure that sometimes there are people there that he wishes were eating in the buffet instead of with him.
I really didn't mean for this for this to be so long but I have seen many, many times over the years the mention of how they choose who gets to eat at the Captains table. So at least now you know how two got there twice.
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Just amazing what rocks some peoples boats, and some think there is no society based on class on ships anymore, jeez you have people who's lives have been made because they dined with a "captain".
Pleased for you, but oh dear
Old October 28th, 2007, 05:22 PM
First Mate

I can just hear the ships announcement "Ladies and gentelmen, we are heading into a severe storm and the Captain has been taken sick. Are there any bus drivers on board who can take over the control of the ship?"

The only people that I would have a problem sitting with at the dinning table are the pompus, know it alls, who think you are out of your mind if you want to dine with the Captain (or bus driver).

Who in their right mind would'nt want to dine with the Captain.

I have a problem with people that think YOU are crazy (or out of their minds?) If they want to dine with the Captain for ANY reason. To make such a statement is absurd at best. I take personal exception to that statement but I also consider the source.
Old October 28th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Yeoman

Default Can't We All Just Get Along?

Children, children, can't we all just get along?
Old October 28th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Admiral

David, old buddy, you are just jealous because I got to dine with the captain and you didn't.

By the way, I am too cheap to buy wine on a cruise, but they kept filling
our glasses and the head waiter served us.
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Admiral

David, whether or not your barbs were intended for me I can't be sure but if you read my post with any understanding you would have seen that we didn't go on the hunt to get pegged for the chance to dine with the captain and as I further stated, I would not go out of my way to do so.

I pointed out that over the years I had seen several posts on how they picked the ones who got the invitation to have dinner with the captain and was merely pointing out how and why I thought we were probably chosen.
I further stated it was not a big deal to me one way or the other. If someone is picked to dine with the Captain,, I sincerely hope they enjoy it. If I'm never chosen again, I'll be just as happy. I can't understand why you want to come across with such snide remarks about something so childish. Who really cares where or with whom some else eats??

Loosen your belt, roll up your sleeves, lay the sarcasm aside and dig in. You'll enjoy your cruise and meal more that way.
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Ron, respect

Me, I don’t want to do it, as I have come across a lot of people who have had that experience, and in my experience of them as cruisers it only leads them to presenting to you at dining etc...the scenario of “did we tell you about when we dined with the Captain? story...

I don’t see the excitement in it personally, pleased for the "whatever buzz" status or "high" it gives people that have done it, but not for me.

WHY, because most that have done it see it as a social status "thing" to brag about amongst the rest of us that have paid their money, but not with me.

As for the chance of doing it, do you think they have a "lottery on the bridge", no chance, someone hand picks or decides those that can take part and those that cant even today.

Whether its based on ship/line points etc… there is a criteria, so out there how many people with less than 10 cruises on a particular line have had an invite to dine with the Captain..mmmm….just a question.

Its elitist, and that’s my wind up. Please post if you on your first, second or third cruise have had an invite to dine at the Captains table….don’t think so
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Familiar Face

Just goes to show you that you dont have ALL the answeres. 1st sailing on Celebrity, got invited to the Catains table and we were in a statndard outside room. On our 2nd cruise on Hal, table for two, standard outside room, we were asked to dine with the Captain. Don't know why in each case why they picked us but it sure blows a hole in your assumptions.
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Familiar Face

Just had another thought, I had an uncle who knew a guy who once drove a school bus, maybe thats why we were invited, you know kindred spirits and all.
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Beginner

We where also invited to dine with the captain on our very first cruise.

I have pondered this over the years as to why "US" But have come to realise "We are just nice people" and the Maitre d saw that! lol

On one occasion, it was the best entertainment I have ever had on a cruise ship. a lady famous for writing children's TV programmes dropped a plastic spider in the Captain''s soup his reaction was hilarious and certainly changed the mood of the evening!

On another occasion, everyone was lining up to shake hands with the Captain, when it got to me and DH "He wrapped his arms round me, gave me a big hug and a kiss on both cheeks. We had met him as a junior officer on a previous cruise and this was his first as a captain. That certainly got the jolly green giant going lol
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid789
Just goes to show you that you dont have ALL the answeres. 1st sailing on Celebrity, got invited to the Catains table and we were in a statndard outside room. On our 2nd cruise on Hal, table for two, standard outside room, we were asked to dine with the Captain. Don't know why in each case why they picked us but it sure blows a hole in your assumptions.
I just slip the head purser some cold hard American cash and that get's me to the Captain's table everytime, trouble is there are never seats left when I get there so I just go and sit down with my boring, chair swapping, table hopping dining companions!