Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Admiral

Default Some still can't follow directions

A few weeks ago we had a gripe about folks not following directions and the Wit families--( Nit, Half, Dim, etc. which was fun )

This isn't exactly a gripe but maybe it can help someone out there understand that it's better to work with the system than try to shortcut or outwit the system, so listen up---

I just returned last saturday from the Glory, eastern sailing of Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Martin. The current immigration laws state that if you leave from a U.S. Port ( Canaveral ), visit a foreign port ( Nassua ) and then stop at a U.S. port ( St. Thomas ) that everyone MUST clear immigration whether you get off the ship or not. Immigration officials come aboard at St. Thomas and you must present yourself to them.
The cruiseline made this clear via intercom, printed materials, etc. several times. They also stressed that those that had early excursions would be called first, etc. to try to accomodate everyone as best they could.
Platinum and concierge members met in a small lounge and one of the perks was bypassing the long line. When you go to the lounge to identify yourself to the officials, a crew member will swipe your card. This shows that you have been through the immigration procedure and is entered into the computer system. When my wife and I got to the gangplank to disembark, there were 4 couples who were being turned back--- they had their passports , etc. in hand and were trying to get the ships security to let them off. Since they had not been through immigration and their cards not swiped, they couldn't get off. Instead of playing by the rules, they had to go back and wait in an even longer line. This was only 4 couples that we saw. Probably several more that we didn't see.
Hopefully they were the last ones off the ship.
Things usually work out for the best for all concerened if everyone will follow the procedures but there's always some who seem to think the rules don't apply to them personally.
Same thing happened at disembarkation. Platinum and concierge members get priority disembarkation. There were numerous people who showed up with all their baggage trying to get off with the Platinum guests. They had to be told repeatedly they would have to wait,etc. It was becoming something of a mess but we were off and in the car by 7:30 or so.
With regards to the Wit families, as I said before, they did seem to be well represented once again on this cruise !!
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Admiral

Related to this is some people who were born ignorant, learned nothing their entire lives and are content to die ignorant. On our recent cruise on the Crown Princess we had to clear immigration when we arrived in St Thomas. There was a long line to get into Club Fusion. There was a lady who was livid about waiting in line and said "I don't know why we have to do this for this little &#&$*$*$ third world country we didn't have to for any of the other ($($*#& ports." Another person in her party corrected her and said this is part of the United States. Unrepentant, she said "They know we are all Americans, why do we have to do this?" Another group nearby with German passports were clearly amused.

So I would like the Wit Family to meet the Dumba** Clan.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
Related to this is some people who were born ignorant, learned nothing their entire lives and are content to die ignorant. On our recent cruise on the Crown Princess we had to clear immigration when we arrived in St Thomas. There was a long line to get into Club Fusion. There was a lady who was livid about waiting in line and said "I don't know why we have to do this for this little &#&$*$*$ third world country we didn't have to for any of the other ($($*#& ports." Another person in her party corrected her and said this is part of the United States. Unrepentant, she said "They know we are all Americans, why do we have to do this?" Another group nearby with German passports were clearly amused.

- it never fails to amaze me how a "line" can freak people out.... for instance, standing in line at a local Denny's to pay for check, a nice lady who was unable to "stand" had to sit down nearby so I was saving her place, this other lady (in workout sportswear) cuts in front of me - nothing wrong with her health - at which time I pointed out that the lady waiting on the bench was next in line... I thought I was going to be missing my head - until the lady on the bench picked up her cane - the workout lady then got the idea we weren't going to let her cut in line in front of someone that had a medical condition.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Admiral

when we were on the Marier of the Seas-they ran us through tha tline so fas tI do not believe the immigartionoffical really looked at my pasport-so I could not understand why that was required.

On Our first cruise to St. Thomas, that was the first port so we did not have to do that. but we also did that on another curise (Celebrity Zenith) when we went to Key West as our last port. But, oh well, at least on a small ship it does not take very long-but I imagine the Glory was just like MOS as it holds 3000PAX also right?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:

Folks like these don't help the "ugly American" label, huh? The folks from Germany surely had extra entertainment!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

On my September cruise when I got back on the ship after the tour (around 1pm) they were still announcing over the intercom people's names to go to XYZ lounge to clear customs. I don't know if t hey ever did.....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005

Quote:

Those same people would be in an uproar if some terrorist managed to sneak on board. I'd probably get all kinds of POed if someone near me was griping about immigration checks.