Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Same here, Michael. Got used to being able to eat wherever I wanted. Thanks to my not being able to work and DH being in show biz, we now have to save up for special nights out. But, I try to take the point of view that it makes it more special that way. However, I rarely miss out on the dining room dinners on cruises!
Marty
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I have never been to a Cracker Barrel are they good? Some cruise ships have a Johnny Rockets you could eat there at night and be less formal. I like the dinning room the way it is now. I like to feel I got my money's worth in terms of food, so I want Prime Rib, Salmon, and other some food I can't normally afford at home like lobster.
It is a country type cooking resturant with a southern flair. If you like deep south food you may enjoy it.
I agree with the other poster, if I want to go to a really upscale resturant I have to drive into atlanta, 25 miles from where I live. I get all the Cracker barrel, TCI Fridays, Applebees, and EVEN Johnny Rockets that I could want. I have ab solutely no interest inhaving that on a cruiseship.

As far as friendly waiters in Cracker Barrel, most are poor guys/gals strapped finicailly working a second job there to make ends meet or else collage students paying their way through college. They are polite for the most part, but certainly not any friendlier then the cruiseship staff. In fact, since we see our same waiters every night with traditionial dinning, we normally "bond" with them, an they are very friendly. It is rare I get the same waiter twice at Cracker Barrel, maybe it is just my town, but that restuarant seems to have quite an employee turnover.
Old April 29th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default How true, mehawk. :-) DayvidB - I like your new avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
DayvidB, nice puppy! They obviously deleted my post about your former picture. Today, I didn't have to keep my left hand over the picture in order to read your good posts. Thanks. I think your new puppy avatar is so cute! :-)
On topic, why go on a cruise to dine like you can around the corner? We live in the country and have little access to even 'good' restaurants, never mind 5 star ones. Nice that cruises offer a choice. BTW we've always carried on small talk with our wait staff; home country, family, work etc.
kd, when I was a child, eating out was a luxury and it was also when I was a young adult. As I became older, I made an excellent living and eating out became the norm. Now that I am retired and have a small pension, eating out has, once again, become a luxury. Funny how that works.
How true! Eating out when we were kids was Sunday dinner at our grandparents house! While we were working we splurged a couple times a month for dinner out, when we could. Now that we're retired, we splurge on take out from our local favorites or do the "early bird specials"
Old May 12th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Food on a cruise is for some brilliant and different, but for some it must be a nightmare, given their "normal" culinary habits.

The ships try to do their best and cater for all, but here is something that I can’t get my head around given the power and money of the big food franchises.

Of all the cruise ships in the world, how many have a MacDonald’s or Pizza Hut within their 100,000 tons plus structures? Especially given those two companies potential buying power, why not?

I will answer my own question, because that type of thing or food is for back home and not part of the cruise ship experience.

If I am wrong fine, then show me a ship with a MacDonalds….they as a company could fund or build their own ships, but would you want to eat there every night? NO , and no 'dis' to McDonalds but no as I can "get this back home"

Thats the difference, we know it, and they know it,.,,,the market
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Passenger

To the OP. I don't tire of the formality at all. It's like a game to me. While this may be a novel experience for most patrons, the staff are just doing their jobs. So I try to say or do something that the staff find clever. I find that if I can capture someone's attention by fascinating them, it exhibits a genuine interest in them and makes for a much more robust exchange. And a byproduct of this is usually that the staff do relax a little which opens up an enjoyable dialogue for all.

Repsol

Carnival Destiny 7-27-08
Carnival Glory 6-18-05
Carnival Fascination 6-7-97
Carnival Mardi Gras Summer '83
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruise Restaurants were to formal

Quote:
Originally Posted by conversationist
Does anyone else get tired of all the formality of dining on a cruise ship. I long for a informal restaurant like Perkins, Cracker Barrel, TGIF or similar spot. I wish just once the waiter would come up to me and say, "hey guys my name is Bob how are you all doing!"

The waiters on most cruise ships are very formal, polite, efficent and cold as ice. They seem scripted and act like a waiter in Europe at a fine restaurant. They know english but are not into small talk or chatting. I attempted to make some small talk with a few of my waiters but got no where.

Would anyone else like a meal option like Cracker Barrel or Perkins on a cruise ship?
Always found the staff to willing to talk. This includes the dining room ,
cabin stewart and most of the staff that deal with you(except for customer service and tour desk)

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to DaBoyzTnR
Default Re: A few more thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmunk
#1 Formal nights have been pretty much diregarded by thousands of cruisers....so pretend it is a Cracker Barrel.
#2 You guys can swithc roles every evening. Go to the buffet, one of you pretend to be the waiter or waitress from Cracker barrel and take your mate's order! ALternate evenings!
#3 on the way to your ship, stop at Cracker Barrel, order enough food for a one week cruise, smuggle it onboard.

Problem solved!
Brilliant, texasmunk!
Old February 19th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Passenger

Default To Formal?

What cruise line were you on. I've never been on a cruise where they even required a tie on formal night much less any other night. I don't consider not being able to wear a bathing suit and t- shirt to formal. That kind of attire is not appropriate at any restaurant on land or ship. Spending 2 hours to eat is the norm in most countries so I don't really understand how you can consider cruise line dining to formal, but if so maybe you should stick to land vacations. Most people that cruise don't want to be served the overcooked, dry, tasteless food you get served at Cracker Barrel or TGI Fridays. They also do not want to be herded in and out of a restaurant so the next party can get a seat.
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:41 AM
First Mate

I like a formal dinner. Even at home, we always eat in the dining room, every night, with formal linens and so forth.
Just habit, I guess. I work all day but I still love a fine dinner in the evening. Much of my weekend is spent shopping for food, a task that I completely enjoy. I may go to 4 markets by the time I'm done, but hey, that's what floats my boat.
I certainly don't go on a cruise for a lesser experience.
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: To Formal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaul99
What cruise line were you on. I've never been on a cruise where they even required a tie on formal night much less any other night. I don't consider not being able to wear a bathing suit and t- shirt to formal. That kind of attire is not appropriate at any restaurant on land or ship. Spending 2 hours to eat is the norm in most countries so I don't really understand how you can consider cruise line dining to formal, but if so maybe you should stick to land vacations. Most people that cruise don't want to be served the overcooked, dry, tasteless food you get served at Cracker Barrel or TGI Fridays. They also do not want to be herded in and out of a restaurant so the next party can get a seat.
I've sailed on both RCL & HAL , they both required a tie at formal dinners.

Friend's who have traveled on Princess & Celeb told us the same thing.

NCL is the only one where formal is suggested and voluntary.

Both on HAL & RCL I've seen people turned away from the main dining

room for being improperly dressed (T shirt & cutoffs ).

Your cruise contract tells you exactly what the dress code is for the

dining room.

Just read the contract that they send . Most people don't

even read it. That whole different problem.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Passenger

Went on RCCL Mariner in October and saw many people wearing Khaki's and a polo on formal night. I don't have a problem with this just wanted conversationalist to realize this was an option. Also, went on Princess in 2000 and had gotten a spot on my dress shirt the first formal night so I had to wear a silk shirt with no tie on the 2nd formal night and was not questioned or ask why I was not wearing a tie. Yes, I pack very light and wear same suit both formal nights and bring only one dress shirt.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Food on a cruise is for some brilliant and different, but for some it must be a nightmare, given their "normal" culinary habits.

The ships try to do their best and cater for all, but here is something that I can’t get my head around given the power and money of the big food franchises.

Of all the cruise ships in the world, how many have a MacDonald’s or Pizza Hut within their 100,000 tons plus structures? Especially given those two companies potential buying power, why not?

I will answer my own question, because that type of thing or food is for back home and not part of the cruise ship experience.

If I am wrong fine, then show me a ship with a MacDonalds….they as a company could fund or build their own ships, but would you want to eat there every night? NO , and no 'dis' to McDonalds but no as I can "get this back home"

That's the difference, we know it, and they know it,.,,,the market
However David, you can get Johnny Rockets on RCI which is nothing but a glorified Mac Donalds with a 50's twist. We have a Johnny Rockets at our local mall, so it is a restaurant on land in the USA. ! but not that good- and not good for you- unless you want to die of a heart attack before age 50, it is not a restaurant you should eat at very often.

My last cruise was on NCL and they have a restaurant they call "Blue Lagoon"-now this is not a land chain restaurant-but it has junkie type food like hot wings and spinach dip-so many like eating there.

It seems that Johnny Rockets is very popular on RCI, and The Blue Lagoon is popular on NCL. So,unfortunately, Mac Donalds and Pizza Hut may end up on a cruiseship one day, as these two lines are setting the precedent.
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Familiar Face

No thanks, that's what the Lido deck food spots are for.
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

When dining out at home OR on a cruiseship. No matter if its an upscale steakhouse or a chain. We are not there to make friends with the servers. We ARE there with our friends and/or family. The servers are there to serve, not to join in our evening. If the server is my neighbor's kid or lives halfway around the world, all that matters is the service--good or bad. We each need to be cordial and respectful of one another, but that's it.
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

I gotta go with the prevailing mood here. When at home, I do enjoy the occasional meal at Cracker Barrel or Chili's. Heck, I even have the rare burger (or whatever it is) at McD's on occasion. On the cruise ship, I like the formality. The dining rooms are elegant. The food is grand. The attire should match. As far as the wait staff, I find them pleasant and somewhat charming. There are always places for those who do not want to put on the 'Ritz', eat there.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaul99
Went on RCCL Mariner in October and saw many people wearing Khaki's and a polo on formal night. I don't have a problem with this just wanted conversationalist to realize this was an option. Also, went on Princess in 2000 and had gotten a spot on my dress shirt the first formal night so I had to wear a silk shirt with no tie on the 2nd formal night and was not questioned or ask why I was not wearing a tie. Yes, I pack very light and wear same suit both formal nights and bring only one dress shirt.
Actually that is NOT listed as suggested wear for formal night, but as the attire is only"suggested" there are always those whom choose not to take the "suggestion."
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Cruise Restaurants were to formal

Quote:
Originally Posted by conversationist
Does anyone else get tired of all the formality of dining on a cruise ship. I long for a informal restaurant like Perkins, Cracker Barrel, TGIF or similar spot. I wish just once the waiter would come up to me and say, "hey guys my name is Bob how are you all doing!"

The waiters on most cruise ships are very formal, polite, efficent and cold as ice. They seem scripted and act like a waiter in Europe at a fine restaurant. They know english but are not into small talk or chatting. I attempted to make some small talk with a few of my waiters but got no where.

Would anyone else like a meal option like Cracker Barrel or Perkins on a cruise ship?

No, I would not. I can eat at those places at home. If you want less formal you can eat at the buffet or get pizza or burgers.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
DayvidB, nice puppy! They obviously deleted my post about your former picture. Today, I didn't have to keep my left hand over the picture in order to read your good posts. Thanks.
On topic, why go on a cruise to dine like you can around the corner? We live in the country and have little access to even 'good' restaurants, never mind 5 star ones. Nice that cruises offer a choice. BTW we've always carried on small talk with our wait staff; home country, family, work etc.
kd, when I was a child, eating out was a luxury and it was also when I was a young adult. As I became older, I made an excellent living and eating out became the norm. Now that I am retired and have a small pension, eating out has, once again, become a luxury. Funny how that works.
If you live long enough, odds are, you'll be back in a diaper!
Old June 11th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Cracker Barrel seems to be Lakelands best kept secret. I have been here 2 years and have yet to find it. I know it is here, I have seen the billboard near the exit from the interstate.I have looked for it when I was in that section of town but it still eludes me. Maybe some day when I am wandering around I will find it. I have tried Bob Evans and it was ok not great but ok. Would I want to find these on a cruise?? No thanks.

Laura
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
---Mark Twain

Old June 11th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Well you made me wonder, I have never seen a Cracker Barrel. Do they have Cracker Barrel in California? The answer is no. The closest Cracker Barrel is Yuma, Arizona and that is a bit of a drive for me. Cruznut2 the Cracker Barrel is Lakeland is I have no idea where that is. So good luck.

Cracker Barrel
4343 Lakeland Park Drive
Lakeland, FL 33809-3585
(863) 853-5405

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Admiral

We used to live in Plant City and there was a Cracker Barrel on the I4 heading toward Tampa. It was part of an RV/trucker stop....a huge one.
That's the only one I know of out that way. Maybe Ken, "Sky" knows of one closer to you.
I occasionally enjoy them...maybe once a year, but never/ever on a cruise!
Marty
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Well you made me wonder, I have never seen a Cracker Barrel. Do they have Cracker Barrel in California? The answer is no. The closest Cracker Barrel is Yuma, Arizona and that is a bit of a drive for me. Cruznut2 the Cracker Barrel is Lakeland is I have no idea where that is. So good luck.

Cracker Barrel
4343 Lakeland Park Drive
Lakeland, FL 33809-3585
(863) 853-5405
Katlady, CB specializes in southern food-so it is no wonder you won't find one in California. We enjoy it for breakfast- They have great biscuits, hashbrown casserole and a baked egg casserole. That tastes good on a cold winter Saturday. They also have stewed apples that they called fried apples, but my grandmother always called those stewed apples- which is basally homemade applesauce with the apples in bite sized chunks.

You can also get grits-but why with that great hashbrown casserole they offer.

Occasionally we eat lunch there also-but usually that is our lazy Saturday breakfast place. When we are traveling in FL on the way to a cruiseship-we like to stop in Lakeland to eat, but at Bob Evans. We don't have those in GA.
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Admiral

We have a lot of different types of cuisine in California, Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, Greek, Italian, and Indian come to mind. But for whatever reason southern cuisine isn't here. Which is to bad, I would love for them to put a Cracker Barrel on a cruise ship (like Johnny Rockets on RCCL). BTW we don't have a Bob Evans in California either.

Hashbrown casserole sounds good. Hey I found a recipe for Cracker Barrel Copycat Hashbrown Casserole. Check it out I'm so trying this recipe.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Cracker-Ba...-Copycat-15242 Oh wait here is another one. http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1650...250196,00.html Is the Hash Brown Casserole crunchy on top? I like the first recipe better, but I think I will add the crushed Potato chips from the second recipe. That just looks good.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan40
We each need to be cordial and respectful of one another,
You said something that means a lot to me. respect is such a beautiful word dont you think.
Being Cordial and respectful towards each other is so important.
Thank you dan40 for being so nice, and thank you for posting such nice comments.
I will finish now, as I have to take the little one for poo-poo's. (nanny is off on fridays). So take care and be good dan40. Thank You so much
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
We have a lot of different types of cuisine in California, Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, Greek, Italian, and Indian come to mind. But for whatever reason southern cuisine isn't here. Which is to bad, I would love for them to put a Cracker Barrel on a cruise ship (like Johnny Rockets on RCCL). BTW we don't have a Bob Evans in California either.

Hashbrown casserole sounds good. Hey I found a recipe for Cracker Barrel Copycat Hashbrown Casserole. Check it out I'm so trying this recipe.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Cracker-Ba...-Copycat-15242 Oh wait here is another one. http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1650...250196,00.html Is the Hash Brown Casserole crunchy on top? I like the first recipe better, but I think I will add the crushed Potato chips from the second recipe. That just looks good.
We have all that here too. Actually, if you ever go south-just try one of those privately owned Mom and Pops type diners. They will have the southern cooking super cheap.

There is a place in Charleston, SC called Jestine's Kitchen, a little hole in the wall that is great-cheap and very good. Not only southern cooking but "low country" specialties. If you are into seafood try the shrimp and grits. The grits are not the traditional southern grits, they are milled much finer and are more the consistency of Cream of Wheat.
Old June 12th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Okay let go back in time to Feb 2008 and the original point being made by the poster
“Does anyone else get tired of all the formality of dining on a cruise ship. I long for a informal restaurant like Perkins, Cracker Barrel, TGIF or similar spot. I wish just once the waiter would come up to me and say, "hey guys my name is Bob how are you all doing!"
Well maybe you should vacation in said places, as what you experience there should not be what you experience on a cruise ship.
Here we go again

“The waiters on most cruise ships are very formal, polite, efficent and cold as ice. They seem scripted and act like a waiter in Europe at a fine restaurant. They know english but are not into small talk or chatting. I attempted to make some small talk with a few of my waiters but got no where. Would anyone else like a meal option like Cracker Barrel or Perkins on a cruise ship”?
You are having a laugh, big time, so people that serve in these places have perfect English in your view and can relate to you in conversation….You really are having a laugh
For me No and No and if people and cruising becomes this sort of expectation of the experience then even the bulk market has gone far toooooooo far.
My worry for cruising is that opinions like this and the “less” expectation of some will lead to an overall reduction of the cruise and one that only suits the less than average “person” and also presents an opportunity to reduce expectation and cost of the passenger that will suit the lines, as why serve a 5 course meal when at a 10th of the cost we can serve pizza or snacks instead, as this is what they think their clients now want based on crap like this...Thankfully they dont

No way, I want those people back that understood the experience, formal or not, respect for what it is when eating, and not some CHEAP drive in or drive past experience when on a ship
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:56 PM
First Mate

Default ok, David

You long for what cruise ships were back then. Nothing wrong with that.

But, may I point out that the lines are trying to thrive. They are trying to offer what others want.

I agree the level of service is not what it used to be and they do offer those 'supper clubs' or 'extra money' type of restaurants providing the personal service we are used to on cruises.

Do I dare to guess you are not happy with 'lower than you' cabin mates? Should the lines increase their rates so only the elite are onboard? I am not certain, but I think those lines might be available.

Before you give me the sledgehammer (which may be deserving), the lines are thinking of the bottom cost. Do you want exceptional service? You can get it if you pay, possibly on a more elite line.

In my opinion, the cruise lines will do what they can to stay afloat. Lowering the level of service might not be the most comforting for the pax. But they do need to make money, or go under.

Yes, I would like to see more well-behaved 'neighbors' on my ship. Am I willing to pay for it. Hmmm...depends on how much.

I think that sums up my opinion. Awaiting my bashing...

Peace to all and Sweet Sailing,

Old June 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: ok, David

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8
You long for what cruise ships were back then. Nothing wrong with that.

But, may I point out that the lines are trying to thrive. They are trying to offer what others want.

I agree the level of service is not what it used to be and they do offer those 'supper clubs' or 'extra money' type of restaurants providing the personal service we are used to on cruises.

Do I dare to guess you are not happy with 'lower than you' cabin mates? Should the lines increase their rates so only the elite are onboard? I am not certain, but I think those lines might be available.

Before you give me the sledgehammer (which may be deserving), the lines are thinking of the bottom cost. Do you want exceptional service? You can get it if you pay, possibly on a more elite line.

In my opinion, the cruise lines will do what they can to stay afloat. Lowering the level of service might not be the most comforting for the pax. But they do need to make money, or go under.

Yes, I would like to see more well-behaved 'neighbors' on my ship. Am I willing to pay for it. Hmmm...depends on how much.

I think that sums up my opinion. Awaiting my bashing...

Peace to all and Sweet Sailing,
I notice both Oceania and Amazara have more reasonable rates than say Crystal or Regent. They are about double the price of the mainstream cruiselines, but still very affordable.
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by susierphillips
Even at home, we always eat in the dining room, every night, with formal linens and so forth.
Just habit, I guess.
I agree with you 100%
Dining Formally at home has its rewards. The kiddies can learn to eat correctly, the family can enjoy a home cooked meal together, and each can enjoy each others company and converse.
I too, use fresh linens and use fresh cut flowers from the garden when available. I do find that setting a tone is great for family values. It really upsets me to see some families on cruises, not sure how to eat correctly. Eating with their mouths open. Eating with the fork in their right hand and not using a knife. All these thnigs are little, but say a lot about upbringing and family values. I always always tell my kiddies the correct manners to use, at home and in public. i am so so proud of my kiddies, Nanny has done such a great job also. However on cruise ships, sometimes you get what you pay for. The cheaper the cruise, sometimes the quality of passengers leaves a lot to be desired. Some of them should remain in their trailer parks. Its a sad truth, but so very very true. I could remain discussing this topic at length, but we all can idientify with the trash that sometimes cruise. Living their lives on plastic. Sad.
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
“You are having a laugh, big time, so people that serve in these places have perfect English in your view and can relate to you in conversation….You really are having a laugh
Yes, in most cases the wait staff can not conduct a full-length conversation in English. But they try !!
It always nice to be nice.
When Nanny arrived from poland to be with our family, she too was limited in her conversation skills. But now she can answer the telephone, go shopping, even helps my Husband in his office,
It is great the way people can change. I am so proud of Nanny. I thank you all for allowing me to share this small but important story with you all.
Trying, is what matters. God bless them. they do try.