Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to CCParrott Send a message via Yahoo to CCParrott
Default Drink Specials of the day

First of all I found out after the first day that the Pina Colada's and Margarittas where less expensive then the really bizzare concoctions they where pushing, continuosely I might add, and where kinder to this gentle cruisers stomach.

This brings me to the second gripe. I was not on deck 10 minutes before having atleast 10 people try to get me to buy one of those weird drinks in a collectible (plastic) glass. Alcohol pushers I say. They never go away either. Everytime you go on deck there's 10 servers with trays of orange or yellow or purple drinks with little umbrells in them hovering over you like buzzards.

By the way, if you plan to purchase these drinks and want to bring home the glasses plan to bring a duffle bag or something to cart them home in. When you get home they will sit in your cupboard and you will occasionally look at them and think why did I submit to the pressure of buying those and god my stomach hurts just thinking about how discusting they tasted.

Do your self a favor, don't submit to the pressure of temptation you'll be sorry. Have a margaritta. Yummm. 8)
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Admiral

CCParrott. nice one that made me laugh, but the thing you missed out bud was what ship or line did you experience this on?

This is good advice or personal experience for others to learn from...that's real gripes. It may suit some, but folks like me will read and say,,not going there, not my thing.

Name and shame them, and with no disrespect to you.... you appear on here as a beginner , so in my reality what you have to say with fresh eyes compared to others opinions of todays 'cruising' and its perception to the 'new' public is good stuff.

Was it all the brochures and personal expectation promised?
Old April 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
CCParrott. nice one that made me laugh, but the thing you missed out bud was what ship or line did you experience this on?

This is good advice or personal experience for others to learn from...that's real gripes. It may suit some, but folks like me will read and say,,not going there, not my thing.

Name and shame them, and with no disrespect to you.... you appear on here as a beginner , so in my reality what you have to say with fresh eyes compared to others opinions of todays 'cruising' and its perception to the 'new' public is good stuff.

Was it all the brochures and personal expectation promised?
DayvidB

I like you. You seem to have the same sense of humor as I. It's a good trait.

I especially like the post I read where you had not been on the board for a while due to a little traffic violation. Was that the same red light I went through last week, perhaps? BTW, you're not driving the ship are you?

The ship was Carnival Inspiration, and other then the pushers it was well above the expections I had placed on my first cruise last May. All I had hoped for was plenty of food, a comfy bed, and a few days away from our 7 children. We liked it so much we are sailing again on the Inspiration May 10th. I am very very very excited.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Ah Carnival,,, Cruising is a terrible bug to catch, you pay big money, you look forward, you do it, you look back and then you save and look forward to the next fix

"I especially like the post I read where you had not been on the board for a while due to a little traffic violation. Was that the same red light I went through last week, perhaps?"

Actually I said a driving offence,,,,,,,,,,,,,I hit a guy with a three wood.

"All I had hoped for was plenty of food, a comfy bed, and a few days away from our 7 children."

Okay so thats you, how did Snow White enjoy the cruise 8)
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Ah Carnival,,, Cruising is a terrible bug to catch, you pay big money, you look forward, you do it, you look back and then you save and look forward to the next fix

"I especially like the post I read where you had not been on the board for a while due to a little traffic violation. Was that the same red light I went through last week, perhaps?"

Actually I said a driving offence,,,,,,,,,,,,,I hit a guy with a three wood.

"All I had hoped for was plenty of food, a comfy bed, and a few days away from our 7 children."

Okay so thats you, how did Snow White enjoy the cruise 8)
Snow White That is too funny. I guess that would be me (Snow White) and the seven children would be the seven dwarfs, oh you are creative. Actually there is a sleepy, doc (going to med school), sneezy (the baby), but I have no one that is bashful, 2 doppeys, and sometimes they are ALL grumpy (at the same time)

Yes, carnival is addicting, going May 10th and already in communication with Carnival about planing the next one. I am ill so not sure if I will make it to another cruise though. Would be nice to go on one with the children even if it is only a 3 day to the Bahama's this fall. Will have to see, if I am up to it then.

So, Mr. David, what is your favorite cruise line? You do not seem to talk about yourself much on here. Also, are you for or against the drink pushers?

Cindi
Old April 4th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Your okay Snow White, my new nick name for you , only joking.

Drink pushers, only been one line that did it…,Carnival, did not like it, and as anyone who knows me as a poster will confirm,,,I don’t like the line, but if it is for you great. What other lines have you been on?

"You do not seem to talk about yourself much on here". BIG laugh,,,there are some fellow Gripers choking on their morning coffee reading that my friend!!!

As for favourites, mmm good question. I loved Celebrity for some things, but not others, actually in the bulk market it’s got to be Royal Caribbean.

But, I have also sailed on one off vacations and cruise lines that cost me a fortune to experience and were great for loads of reasons. But they were not the norm we talk about today on here as cruising. Not a person to bring up class or fellow passengers, but they were different..mmmm

Old adage, you get what you pay for. 8) And sometimes more is not better.

I’ve spent $500 dollars on a cruise and spent $8,000 on a cruise; you take from the experience what you want as a person. That’s why there is no real answer to any persons Gripe as it is perception of the experience. All the gripe gives us is more information that another who maybe thinking of spending their hard earned cash and going on that line or ship can take into account. That’s the best bit of things like this..

State your case, let others argue, and then let people make up their own minds.

"I am ill so not sure if I will make it to another cruise though" Not good and concerned,,think of you and praying its not too serious.
Old April 4th, 2008, 04:55 PM
First Mate

I have no desire to do Carnival. Much prefer Celebrity's understated elegance to Vegas glitz and we are not 'party ship' types. Also love the food on Celebrity and the much better service. We also like RCL (owned by the same company) but it doesn't measure up to Celebrity. Outside of that first sail-away party perhaps, have never been bothered with drink pushers.
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I have a word of advice for those who buy the collector cups with the drink of the day--BUY ONE AND REUSE THE CUP!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you can get refills for the drink of the day, or any drink, in the same glass. All you need is one of each color, if applicable, and not a dozen or more!

Most people are under the impression you need to get a new one each time, including my brother and his wife when they went (they came home with around a dozen glasses). I came home with three for the first, one for the second, and two for the third. I BROUGHT a refillable glass when I went for my last cruise and I ended up buying another one because I forgot to pack the cup in my carry on!!!!

I wish they would bring back the glass glasses again instead of plastic. I still have four glasses (two classic styles, a mason jar with handle, and a brandy/bowl style stemmed glass from when I went in 1991.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Admiral

That’s really interesting as a cruise subject, and appears based on why and why not?

We all know that Carnival owns nearly the majority of the lines in some name or other, so why do they PUSH these things on certain lines, like only Carnival ships, but not on others that they own?

Is it as simple as they know the Carnival market (party) will go for it and although they are one company they realise they cant push such crass things or behaviour onto the other people cruising on their other lines or ships?

So cheap and tacky selling, they already know where they can get away with it and make money from the folks that go Carnival?

They are not going to get away with it, or make the same money on Celebrity and they know it.

A perfect example of the line you pick and personal expectation of it. Why? because cruising and the experience are not always the same for all, and because people have been on a ship or a cruise, again does not make this diverse experience the same experience that can be shared by all.

Having the equiv of call centre people trying to sell me drinks, and then the glass, is like "NIGHTMARE", that why I dont do Carmival ships
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Of my 60 some odd cruises, 18 have been on Carnival, and I've never had to ward off a drink waiter with a wooden cross and garlic clove.

It's actually kind of funny, because the much more common complaint on the boards is slow bar service.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 6th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Admiral

DayvidB Carnival owns Princess and Holland America as well as international lines like Costa, Ocean Village (UK) and AIDA (German). While RCCL owns Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur Cruises, Azamara Cruises, and CDF Croisieres de France.This maybe part of the different in the drink pushers. Are they pushy on RCCL? Also each line markets to different cruisers. I think that is a great thing because no two people are a like. I agree the Carnival people do get a little pushy with the drink of the day. Sometimes I buy the drink of the day without the glass if the drink is something interesting to me. That doesn't happen often.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 7th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Admiral

"Also each line markets to different cruisers. I think that is a great thing because no two people are a like. I agree the Carnival people do get a little pushy with the drink of the day."

So we agree, and no I have never been 'pushed' drinks on an RCCL ship or line.

And that includes the big one you left out that Carnival own...Cunard. Anyone see drinks being pushed on that line, on the Queens?, not me. Nor did I experience it on my two Princess cruises

Oh and on these guys "Costa, Ocean Village (UK) and AIDA (German)" I would expect it from two of them, with a not sure on AIDA as I have no knowledge of them. But the other two fit the Carnival push policy
Old April 7th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Admiral

DayvidB if you saw a AIDA ship you wouldn't forget it. They have pretty rudy lips. I'm not kidding.
AIDA DIVA

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Passenger

Default New Avitar

David, I like the new avitar much better

As for the drink pushers on Carnival, I can say with confidence that I never had a problem finding a drink or them finding me for that matter

I just thought of something...MAYBE I look like an lush or something and they thought I was summoning them with a drunken lusty look. I'll have work on the more conservative look this cruise.

Cindi Aka Snow White