CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   Kids on cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/362144-kids-cruises.html)

Visitor B March 8th, 2009 12:01 AM

Kids on cruises
 
A gripe seen on another site:
Quote:

After 10 days of sailing on the Emerald Princess (south & east Carribean) I am truly glad to be home. We made the mistake of taking a polite and well behaved 7yr old with us , our daughter that is. From the first to the last day of our cruise we encountered gross and unadulterated intolerance of Libby. We experienced dining room musical chairs as soon as we were seated and associated non-communication with cold stares. There was swimming pool issues if a child dared to raise their voice above a whisper or splash a passenger who had chosen to sit with their feet in the pool ( obvious poor choice if wanting to keep otherwise dry ) Lastly and most seriously after being given permission from the Pursers' office to use a quiet pool I was confronted by 2 unassociated individuals who proceeded to explain how annoyed they were by the presence of Libby ie 'Yes , she is bothering me' . At no time was she left unsupervised.
It is my belief that Princess could make it clearer that when families are in a tiny minority as we were this can lead to inversely proportional intolerance by the 'aged' majority.
Anyway I'll be finishing my current voluntary work with 'Help The Aged' with some sadness but all my previous affinity with this group has been used up by their more affluent peers.
Back to Hotels and Villas for us.
The most interesting discussion was about whether it is legitimate to want a child-free cruise-- and to change dining room seating if you're assigned to a table with kids.

colorcrazie March 8th, 2009 03:31 PM

Sorry, but it sounds like the gripe is really overblown. I can't believe that every older person on a large ship would object to the child. I may be wrong, but this sounds to me like more of an over indulgent "Isn't my child darling?" attitude. Some folks will get mad if you don't agree 100% with that. ANd, anyone can change dining room tables for a variety of reasons.
Marty

thasic March 8th, 2009 10:41 PM

Also, the original postee stated thier child was polite and well behaved. Some parents well behaved are other parents nightmares.

Donna March 9th, 2009 10:18 AM

I was trying to read between the lines with this story, and I think there is more to it than the post says?? Hummm....I've cruised many times and always with a good amount of kids onboard. Yes, some are loud and unruly, but most are well behaved....

I just feel this cruise may have not been the best one to take a child on, I certainly hope the poster re-considers cruising and will again take a child on, just has to be the right one.

katlady March 9th, 2009 11:07 AM

We took my 8 year old nephew on a 14 day Transatlantic cruise in April 08. On this cruise, Carnival Freedom 2974 passagers, there were 25 childern. We had a table for 10 they were an older group and they were so nice to my nephew someone even give him a ship on a stick.

I think the poster had rose colored glasses as far as her child was concerned. I say this because of this line:
Quote:

There was swimming pool issues if a child dared to raise their voice above a whisper or splash a passenger who had chosen to sit with their feet in the pool ( obvious poor choice if wanting to keep otherwise dry )
Does the poster think it's okay for her child to splash a passenger at the pool? We made certain my nephew didn't splash people. Splashing passengers at the pool doesn't sound like this actions of a polite and well behaved 7 yr old.

oeintl March 9th, 2009 11:50 AM

Please for those of us that do NOT enjoy your children, 1 word of advice. Stick to Disney cruises. That way the rest of us can enjoy our cruise without your little angel (s). :-P

colorcrazie March 9th, 2009 04:04 PM

And some of those angels are little devils behind mom or dad's back. My oldest nephew (whom I adore) used to do things behind mom's back when he was small. I had to discreetly let him know that I would not put up with "devilry" either! I actually love kids, but parents are often the last to know what their kids are really like.
Marty

Mike M March 9th, 2009 04:21 PM

While there are a percentage of "demon children" the vast majority are basically well mannered. I do take exception when someone complains about the "noise" when children are merely playing. They sure can handle the pool music and the loud pool games but if a child laughs too loud or makes a basic kid squeal when playing in the pool they act like they just had their ears blown out by a 138 decibel jet engine.

Children should know how to behave in the dining rooms and other venues and if they don't the parents need to remove them from those venues.

I still have to maintain that on all of my cruises I have never had an issue with a child but I have had a few with obnoxious people who believe no one should interfere with "their" idea of a vacation. That idea is that the ship is their private yacht and no one else should impose themselves on that idea. I also have seen many "nice" adults become total jerks when they've had a few too many drinks of the day. I wish these people had "parents" onboard. LOL

Overall I'll wait until the kid or the person does something that is actually bad before I pass judgment or change tables.

Take care,
Mike

2Littletime March 10th, 2009 01:24 PM

As a parent who travels extensively with our kids I have repeatedly experienced the intolerance of some adults before our children open their mouths and frequently before they fully enter a room. While I know for a fact my children are not perfect I know that once people have given them a chance to know them they are pleasantly surprised. My youngest daughter has multiple pen pals (all mature adults) from all over North America that she met on cruiselines. My kids can speak intelligently on a range of topics and they know to chew with their mouths closed and to speak politely and use manners. It's unfortunate that they continue to face discrimination based on older people's perceptions as opposed to fact. The reality is that we have had a drunk adult take a pee on our stateroom door but we've never had a child do the same. Rotten kids are for the most part a product of lousy parenting, no matter what, people should take two minutes to get to know a chid before deciding they don't want to share a table with them. I give that same consideration to the adults that I'm assigned to eat with even though I may very likely decide after the first night that there is no way I want to spend a week's worth of dinners at a table with a guy discussing his girlfriend's best thongs or preferred positions. (sadly, true story)

Islandbear March 13th, 2009 01:36 PM

In all my years of traveling I have continually had to put up with childish behavior, loud voices, rudeness and bad etiquette. One expects more when travelling on upscale cruise lines such as HAL & Windstar. But saddly when some adults go on vacation they act like children!

(Oh, by the way I love traveling with kids, mine or others.)

Wormy53 March 13th, 2009 06:36 PM

I also saw that post and took it with a grain of salt. She lost face with me when talking about taking her child to the adult pool. I do not mind interacting with children, however, there are times that I do not wish to do this. Sorry, but I do not want to eat a 2hr meal discussing child topics. I made different choices in my life. That is why we usually do anytime dining. We always go out to dinner late at home to give the families their time - doesn't seem to work much anymore. To spend a bunch of money for a nice dinner - then have "out of control" kids running around just doesn't get it for me. The same thing goes for airplanes - if you are kicking the back of my seat constantly, then we're going to have words! OK - I've ranted - feel better now!! :roll:

susierphillips March 18th, 2009 04:10 PM

Yeah, I agree. The adults-only pool should be just that. This OP sounds overly sensitive. We've met some really cute kids on one of our cruises and I've never seen any rudeness toward children on our trips. It's very surprising that he encountered this repeatedly.

DayvidB March 30th, 2009 05:03 PM

Eh, going to quote

"The most interesting discussion was about whether it is legitimate to want a child-free cruise-- and to change dining room seating if you're assigned to a table with kids."

Child free cruise, of course its my money and totally legitimate regarding expectation.

Two, and again YES if the cruise decides in its wisdom to place me with children, yes again I have paid and if I dont want to dine with children, then its my call to ask to move. Dont see the problem, why accept what the line "dumps you with"?

Martha C April 6th, 2009 06:45 PM

I wonder why the cruiseline doesn't try to place families together as much as possible. If I was traveling with children I would appreciate my children being able to make friendships with children closer to their own age on the cruise. I think it would also take some of the pressure off of mom and dad while in the diningroom. Just my two cents. On the other hand, if I perfer adult conversation, so if I ask to move tables the next evening, I hope that the families would not take it personally. Just my choice. I have no issue traveling with children. I am the one who will hold the door open for you, help you collect stray kids running down the hall, pick up a lost shoe etc...Smile at you when your child is ready to throw a nutty. Been there, done that. But, on a trip I am glad to be past that and will occassionally seek that out. Nothing against the kids, just my choice.

colorcrazie April 7th, 2009 02:29 PM

The cruise lines do try to match people up as much as possible for dining room assignments. Families with other families, singles together, grouping by age, etc. They used to ask your profession and other questions to further identify those who might be compatible dining mates, but people apparently objected to the questions. But, they don't know much about us so they don't always get it right. Plus, last minute bookings, etc., can totally throw a wrench in their planned assignments. That's why you don't have any guarantee even on dining times until you get on board.
Marty

BigC May 2nd, 2009 03:37 AM

When people ask me..."Do you like children?" I normally reply. Why yes I do. With a nice cream sauce. :shock:

thasic May 3rd, 2009 07:13 PM

I have a kid and I take her cruising with me. I prefer Disney but I have gone on the Freedom as well. I keep my daughter out of the adult areas and watch over her. I like to think she's polite but other old crones may disagree. Guess what? If you don't like my kid, stay in the adult areas. I'll insure she doesn't bother you but I will not prevent her from existing just because you don't like it. I am all for adult only cruises. I am for singles cruises and elderly cruises and gay cruises and every other type of cruise. The more the merrier. However, if the cruise you choose to attend allows children, live with it.

Look, I'm not saying that kids should be allowed to run amok. I require my daughter to show a certain amount of decorum. In the dining room, she sits between my wife and I. She stays in her seat. She does not yell scream or cause a disturbance. If some one at the table just can't stand kids, I won't be insulted if they move to another table. If they ask me not to bring my daughter to dinner any longer, I'll tell them to kiss my cherry red butt.

Martha C May 3rd, 2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thasic
I have a kid and I take her cruising with me. I prefer Disney but I have gone on the Freedom as well. I keep my daughter out of the adult areas and watch over her. I like to think she's polite but other old crones may disagree. Guess what? If you don't like my kid, stay in the adult areas. I'll insure she doesn't bother you but I will not prevent her from existing just because you don't like it. I am all for adult only cruises. I am for singles cruises and elderly cruises and gay cruises and every other type of cruise. The more the merrier. However, if the cruise you choose to attend allows children, live with it.

Look, I'm not saying that kids should be allowed to run amok. I require my daughter to show a certain amount of decorum. In the dining room, she sits between my wife and I. She stays in her seat. She does not yell scream or cause a disturbance. If some one at the table just can't stand kids, I won't be insulted if they move to another table. If they ask me not to bring my daughter to dinner any longer, I'll tell them to kiss my cherry red butt.

You seem a very thoughtful traveler. My son was always a good traveler, though we never did a cruise with him. But, I think we could have with no problem. At age of 3 on he would allow ladies to go first, hold open doors, said please and thank you, ate with his mouth shut - much better manners then most grown ups I know. On the other hand, I live in Vegas and have seen how some people on vacation, just don't give a rats butt how their kids act, as long as the kids are leaving them alone. They let kids get away with things they would never allow them do at home. I remember being at a hotel pool and there 4 kids 4 to 9 swimming without any parental supervision. Lifeguards are only there to keep kids from drowning. You never know when someone would lure a child away.

Snoozeman May 3rd, 2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigC
When people ask me..."Do you like children?" I normally reply. Why yes I do. With a nice cream sauce. :shock:

:D

Peter2852 May 3rd, 2009 09:42 PM

I agree that it is pretty annoying when children do not behave themselves, but being 16 I remember having to put up with a lot of discrimination due to my age. I have been on 10 cruises and learned so much on them- table manners, and how to meet people and have intelligent conversations.

Unfortunately, I had to pay the price for being 16 on my last cruise on RCL. They have a strict 1 am curfew and I was being watched along with all my other friends for the whole cruise because of our age. We didn't do anything wrong, weren't loud or anything but right away it seems we were treated much differently by security.

2Littletime May 5th, 2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter2852
I agree that it is pretty annoying when children do not behave themselves, but being 16 I remember having to put up with a lot of discrimination due to my age. I have been on 10 cruises and learned so much on them- table manners, and how to meet people and have intelligent conversations.

Unfortunately, I had to pay the price for being 16 on my last cruise on RCL. They have a strict 1 am curfew and I was being watched along with all my other friends for the whole cruise because of our age. We didn't do anything wrong, weren't loud or anything but right away it seems we were treated much differently by security.

While I have a daughter a couple of years older than you and one several years younger, I totally understand what you are saying. It is unfortunate that people judge an entire group by the actions of a few. I believe that for the most part teens and children are wonderful. We have come across many that are not wonderful, but I continue to attribute this mostly to the not wonderful parents that they were cursed with. I think that it is a shame that young people face immediate discrimination based on the simple fact that they are young. This is not isolated to cruising. We were in a mall in Orlando, everytime my teens were stopped and chatting Mall security put the run to them, but yet large groups of ignorant adults were permitted to block the entrances to various shops while they were talking.

All that being said, I think that a 16 year old, regardless of maturity, politeness and consideration, should have a curfew and I think 1 am is plenty reasonable. My eldest was required to be in the cabin by 11 PM, every night except one night when she was allowed out until 12 AM for an activity. She was 17 and also by many standards a great teenager but 1 AM? Too late, too many opportunities for her to be tempted into trouble, and too many adults who prey on young people, even on a cruise ship.

katlady May 5th, 2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter2852
I agree that it is pretty annoying when children do not behave themselves, but being 16 I remember having to put up with a lot of discrimination due to my age. I have been on 10 cruises and learned so much on them- table manners, and how to meet people and have intelligent conversations.

Unfortunately, I had to pay the price for being 16 on my last cruise on RCL. They have a strict 1 am curfew and I was being watched along with all my other friends for the whole cruise because of our age. We didn't do anything wrong, weren't loud or anything but right away it seems we were treated much differently by security.

I understand what you mean. When I was 17 years old I was driving and pulled over by the cops for Drunk Driving. :-? I had not consumed any acohol and in fact I was coming back from the movies. The strong thing in my system was Diet Pepsi. They had me got out of the car and had me do all the drunk tests on the side of the road. :x

It was until I ask them this question that they let me go. I said, "If you take me down to the police station and the tests show I haven't been drinking do you still have to call my parents to come down?" They said, "Yes, because you are a minor." I which point I smiled, because I could just picture my mom at the police station to pick up her sober daughter. That would have been fun to watch. :twisted: I think the question and the smile made them back off.

By that point they had made me so mad I wanted them to take me in and test me. To this day I never drink and drive, I know I will get caught. But mainly I would never want to hurt or kill another person with my car. I don't think I could handle the guilt I would feel.

Donna May 5th, 2009 07:51 PM

Hi Kat,
I totally understand what you are saying. To this day, I still don't know how anyone could drive drunk, slam someone in the rear of their car, and then take off, not knowing what they did to someone else?? Yep, happened to me a few months ago, totalled my year old car and just left the scene, then left their vehicle on foot...Yes, they were caught, but still, they could of easily killed someone and not to stop and see??

Peter2852 May 5th, 2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna
Hi Kat,
I totally understand what you are saying. To this day, I still don't know how anyone could drive drunk, slam someone in the rear of their car, and then take off, not knowing what they did to someone else?? Yep, happened to me a few months ago, totalled my year old car and just left the scene, then left their vehicle on foot...Yes, they were caught, but still, they could of easily killed someone and not to stop and see??

Wow that's really scary. Sorry that happened with the car thank God nobody was hurt. I agree with what everyone on here was saying about the way minors are often mistreated. I just still cant get over how I was treated on RCI this past cruise, after going on NCL for the past 7 cruises I got used to being respected and not treated so much like, sorry to say- a prisoner. I mean, when I got on the ship I was sick and they wouldn't let me go down one flight of stairs to the cafe to get some warm water to mix theraflu in, at maybe two or three minutes past one. Even after I explained to the guard that I just wanted to get water and I would be back, he refused to let me. That really bothered me and I later found out he was in charge of security too. He watched me that whole rest of the trip.
Point is my family and I wont be going on royal again, especially for a list of other reasons as well.

kryos May 13th, 2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
Does the poster think it's okay for her child to splash a passenger at the pool? We made certain my nephew didn't splash people. Splashing passengers at the pool doesn't sound like this actions of a polite and well behaved 7 yr old.

Oh, for God's sake! If you're out by the pool and you get splashed every now and then, is that a life-altering event? Children will be children. They will run around, they will play, and yes ... in a pool they will splash. If adults have a problem with this, then maybe they should be a bit more careful about the cruises they book to ensure booking ones that would likely have fewer children.

I don't like sailing with children. I will be the first one to say this. Because of that fact, I try to be careful with my cruises. I try to take cruises that are either longer ones unlikely to have a lot of children onboard, or I take cruises that run outside of normal vacation periods.

But, even taking those precautions, I have most of the time found myself sharing the boat with at least a few kids, and you know what? Those kids have every bit as much right to be there as I do. They have every bit as much right to have fun at the pool as I do too. And if once in a while I may get splashed, or maybe a beachball finds it's way on my lounger, so be it. That's called having fun and if that bothers me so much, maybe I need to be up in the thermal spa or some other area where children are not allowed.

Just my opinion, but I think some people take their vacations way too seriously. Let the kids have fun too.

Blue skies ...

--rita

katlady May 13th, 2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
Does the poster think it's okay for her child to splash a passenger at the pool? We made certain my nephew didn't splash people. Splashing passengers at the pool doesn't sound like this actions of a polite and well behaved 7 yr old.

Oh, for God's sake! If you're out by the pool and you get splashed every now and then, is that a life-altering event? Children will be children. They will run around, they will play, and yes ... in a pool they will splash. If adults have a problem with this, then maybe they should be a bit more careful about the cruises they book to ensure booking ones that would likely have fewer children.

I don't like sailing with children. I will be the first one to say this. Because of that fact, I try to be careful with my cruises. I try to take cruises that are either longer ones unlikely to have a lot of children onboard, or I take cruises that run outside of normal vacation periods.

But, even taking those precautions, I have most of the time found myself sharing the boat with at least a few kids, and you know what? Those kids have every bit as much right to be there as I do. They have every bit as much right to have fun at the pool as I do too. And if once in a while I may get splashed, or maybe a beachball finds it's way on my lounger, so be it. That's called having fun and if that bothers me so much, maybe I need to be up in the thermal spa or some other area where children are not allowed.

Just my opinion, but I think some people take their vacations way too seriously. Let the kids have fun too.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The OP took her child into an adult only area and then allowed the child to splash the adults in the area. These people probably booked a ship with an adult only area to avoid the children. Young child should not be in the adult only areas with or without their parents. Now if I'm at the normal family pool and it happens that is expected and it's not a problem. When we cruised with my nephew there were only 25 kids on the Carnival Freedom. So we wanted to be sure my nephew was respectful of the people around him. He didn't swim in the adult only pool at the back of the ship and he didn't hang in the hot tubs.

katlady May 13th, 2009 06:38 PM

Re: Kids on cruises
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Visitor B
A gripe seen on another site:
Quote:

After 10 days of sailing on the Emerald Princess (south & east Carribean) I am truly glad to be home. We made the mistake of taking a polite and well behaved 7yr old with us , our daughter that is. From the first to the last day of our cruise we encountered gross and unadulterated intolerance of Libby. We experienced dining room musical chairs as soon as we were seated and associated non-communication with cold stares. There was swimming pool issues if a child dared to raise their voice above a whisper or splash a passenger who had chosen to sit with their feet in the pool ( obvious poor choice if wanting to keep otherwise dry ) Lastly and most seriously after being given permission from the Pursers' office to use a quiet pool I was confronted by 2 unassociated individuals who proceeded to explain how annoyed they were by the presence of Libby ie 'Yes , she is bothering me' . At no time was she left unsupervised. It is my belief that Princess could make it clearer that when families are in a tiny minority as we were this can lead to inversely proportional intolerance by the 'aged' majority.
Anyway I'll be finishing my current voluntary work with 'Help The Aged' with some sadness but all my previous affinity with this group has been used up by their more affluent peers.
Back to Hotels and Villas for us.
The most interesting discussion was about whether it is legitimate to want a child-free cruise-- and to change dining room seating if you're assigned to a table with kids.

Here is the orginal post.

katlady May 13th, 2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna
Hi Kat,
I totally understand what you are saying. To this day, I still don't know how anyone could drive drunk, slam someone in the rear of their car, and then take off, not knowing what they did to someone else?? Yep, happened to me a few months ago, totalled my year old car and just left the scene, then left their vehicle on foot...Yes, they were caught, but still, they could of easily killed someone and not to stop and see??

Wow that is scary. I don't understand some people.

love2cruze926 April 10th, 2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Littletime (Post 1198910)
As a parent who travels extensively with our kids I have repeatedly experienced the intolerance of some adults before our children open their mouths and frequently before they fully enter a room. While I know for a fact my children are not perfect I know that once people have given them a chance to know them they are pleasantly surprised. My youngest daughter has multiple pen pals (all mature adults) from all over North America that she met on cruiselines. My kids can speak intelligently on a range of topics and they know to chew with their mouths closed and to speak politely and use manners. It's unfortunate that they continue to face discrimination based on older people's perceptions as opposed to fact. The reality is that we have had a drunk adult take a pee on our stateroom door but we've never had a child do the same. Rotten kids are for the most part a product of lousy parenting, no matter what, people should take two minutes to get to know a chid before deciding they don't want to share a table with them. I give that same consideration to the adults that I'm assigned to eat with even though I may very likely decide after the first night that there is no way I want to spend a week's worth of dinners at a table with a guy discussing his girlfriend's best thongs or preferred positions. (sadly, true story)

Well said!!
When my kids were very little we didn't have the opportunity to travel too much. Their first cruise was when my daughter was 16 and my son was 11. They were well behaved and well mannered at dinner and in fact had been complimented by another table on their good behavior. Some adults dont even know how to act and i've seen my share of bad mannered adults at the buffets and pool areas on cruises that may outweigh bad behavior from kids.
IMO there are more well behaved kids than not. The reason for this IMO is that parents take a cruise too lightly and let their kids run "wild" with no supervision. The bad behaved kids dont make up all of the kids and i would hope people can see that.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1