Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Passenger

Default Greedy cruisers

I just got back from the Carnival Imagination to Nassau yesterday. It disgusted me to see how the passengers acted at the buffets. I saw people getting six cheeseburgers, this one guy who must have put 25 (so not kidding) pancakes on his plate, and the people at dinner who had to always order two of everything----appetizers, entrees and desserts.

I mean, I know we pay for the food, but really, filling an entire plate up with bacon is just wasteful and greedy. And having the kids watching and doing the same thing is just wrong...

Other than that, I had a GREAT TIME on my FUNSHIP vacation!
Carnival Imagination, April 24, 2009...
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Admiral

It is disappointing the "entitlement" attitude that many take on vacation, whether on land or sea.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Admiral

We have long had the "dress police" who are disturbed by what others wear in the dining room, and now we have the "food police" who are bothered by what others eat. My concern on a cruise is what is on my plate, and I am not concerned with other cruiser's clothing or food.

Old April 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Familiar Face

I agree ---the last couple we went with on a cruise made me turn red--- with the plate of food that he wasted ----he could have gone back several times and got what he wanted but instead he chose to fill his plate with 2 or 3 of everything and then he found out that he didn't like it and therefore it was wasted---not something I would think anyone should do just because it is there-----and this was for the entire 7 day cruise-----
I was avoiding the other couple as much as possible after the first 4 days
Kathy
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B
We have long had the "dress police" who are disturbed by what others wear in the dining room, and now we have the "food police" who are bothered by what others eat. My concern on a cruise is what is on my plate, and I am not concerned with other cruiser's clothing or food.

The more food that gets wasted the more money it costs to operate the cruise, the more it costs to operate the cruise the more the cruise line changes me. Yeah - maybe I care, but not too much. The fuel, crew and other fixed costs overshadow the cost of food tremendously.

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Passenger

Well, sorry for being the "food police" (not really) but when I have to wait 10 minutes to get pancakes because the idiot in front of me decided to take all 10 in the pan instead of 3, it gets annoying.
Old April 28th, 2009, 06:01 PM
First Mate

On the main stream lines the food budget per day is about $10. Don't know if that is going to really change the price of the cruise.

When I started to lose weight I decided that I wanted to eat less of better food. I would rather have less on my plate but have better and higher quality food.

I have a tendency now to take one of everything I want to try and then if I like it, go back for more. But I absolutely refuse to eat anything I don't like. I don't see the reason to waste the calories that I eat on something that I won't enjoy. So if I don't like it after the first bite, I won't eat it.

Now, if we could just get people to wash their hands before they go to the buffet, keep the handles out fo the food and then wash their hands after they take their food... we will all be healthier.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Some people over do it at the buffet or even at the dinner table too. I think part of it is just that old human nature thing that we are getting something for nothing or--it's free so I'll take all I can carry or, I read on cruisemates that I can order two or three of everything on the menu so set me up and double up on the desserts too.
Seriously I do hate to see people waste food wherever it is, as there's so many people in the world that are in desperate need of something to eat.
Many times I have sat and had breakfast or lunch and looked at an island and thought of how many people there would love to have just a fraction of the food available to them that I had at the buffet.
Back last October we were on the Mariner and stopped at Labadee Haiti.
We came back to the ship for lunch in the buffet and there were several Haitian officials that were aboard and had come into the buffet for lunch also.
I felt sorry for them. They had plates piled as high as they could get them and ate like they hadn't had a good meal in several days. They also had some fruit, bread, etc. to take off with them, I guess taking it home. That was really sad.
Sometimes we need to realize just how lucky most of us really are compared to lots of folks.

Old April 29th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Passenger

Wow, that was actually kind of sad, considering. I know how bad it is in Haiti. We take for granted how well we have it sometimes. That we can afford to take cruises and have all you can eat buffets, and people are out there with nothing.
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Okay these are two different issues. Cruiser one takes more food then they can eat and wastes it. Cruiser two takes the same amount of food as cruiser one and eats it all.

Cruiser one ticks me off, because I hate wasted food. Cruiser two I'm fine with some people can eat quite a bit and so they do. Do I follow Cruiser one and Cruiser two back to the table to make certain they have cleaned thier plates. Heck NO, I'm not their mom.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

It is unfortuante, but when people see that the food is included they gorge out! I eat as much as I can handle. Sure, one night I took a little too much and left a half a slice of roast beef--I felt guilty. I went to the Mongolian Grill twice and the second time I went I grabbed the wrong kind of mushrooms (shitake vs button) and ended up picking them out--and feeling guilty I wasted them!!!!

One family had their small (er, obese) child (she looked and acted like she was perhaps 3-4). I am sure she went at least three or four times for refills on ice cream at the deck party. This child shouldn't even be eating the ice cream she was so heavy (perhaps there was a medical reason she was obese), but she would through a hissy fit and mum or dad would go get another one for her!!!!

I pay a lot to go on the cruise, but I do not like to waste food. Two pancakes with four or five slices of bacon on our first port day (7am) kept me going until lunch when I decided to try conch fritters and key lime pie (frozen) on a stick (& dipped in chocolate--ooh to die for!). I was good after that until dinner!!!

Some think it is a gorge fest, and then they wonder why they gain weight when going on a cruise. They gorge out and then plop themselves on a deck chair...The longest I was able to stand just doing nothing was 30 minutes watching Steve (the entertainment staff and fitness guru) do water aerobics in the Lido pool...I was watching Steve while the women and one man were doing the water aerobics...once the class was over I left to wander about the decks of the ship and wander and wander and wander and wander...I did NOT gain any weight cuz I walked so much...I was everywhere!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Admiral

Since there is no new star shining in the East, I can only conclude that none of us is perfect and that what or how much
other people eat is really a private matter.

Live and let live, and you will live longer.
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Since there is no new star shining in the East, I can only conclude that none of us is perfect and that what or how much

If I ever go on trial for a capital crime I want you on my jury.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Of course I'm perfect. You know that you have seen me in person on the TA cruise. Didn't you hear the angels singing when you meant me? What about the halo on my head?

Yes, I have left food behind if I was to full or it was gross. Normally the food left behind if because I didn't like it. I agree with Ephraim if something isn't good I'm not going to waste the calories on it.

I think on the first few cruises it's harder to work the buffet. You don't gage it right and end up with more food then you intend. Because you want to try a little of everything. After the third cruise or so you realize it will be there tomorrow and the next day. Also you don't want to be that full the entire cruise. Since my last cruise was 14 days, I knew if I didn't try something one day I could try it the next day. I only gained one pound on that cruise. Venice doesn't allow cars so you walk everywhere. I enjoyed it so much. I wish I could go back.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Darn, Kat. I thought only one of us was perfect. My bad!!

Doug, you have me wrong. I have always believed in hanging the bast...ds!!!!
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Being troubled by someones atrocious habits is not the same as being a "something police". If I see someone picking his nose I can be irked about it without causing a scene.

I am also distressed by people that take the last 10 pieces of cake at the buffet or hog all the bacon. I tend not to comment to the sow that feels the need to hoard that particular food item but I can still be agitated. that does not make me a busy body or "food cop" it just makes me human. To any here that claim no emotional response to any outside stimulus I say HA!

As for me, while on a cruise, I tend to over indulge a bit. I don't gorge or get plastered but I enjoy myself. I tend to let others do the same. Even the buffet pigs. After all, there is more bacon on the way. And I'll get some of this batch while it's still hot!
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old May 1st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Familiar Face

How do you enjoy your cruise if you're checking out the plates of fellow cruisers? Why do you care what others eat or don't eat? Some of you seem to take these things as personal affronts. This is just ridiculous.
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraway
How do you enjoy your cruise if you're checking out the plates of fellow cruisers? Why do you care what others eat or don't eat? Some of you seem to take these things as personal affronts. This is just ridiculous.
Like thasic said, I don't think anybody is going out of their way to monitor others' plates. It is just something you notice. Especially when the buffet line stalls while somebody is piling it on.

People also notice good things but they are Cruise Gripes.

Old May 1st, 2009, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Yes, I think we can notice bad or gross behavior without being a policeman for whatever the particular situation is.
If I'm sitting at a table for lunch or breakfast in the buffet and someone comes walking by with a plate piled so high the food is falling off I don't jump up and try to make an " arrest " for gluttony but I'm sure that just like most people, I have my own thoughts about their actions.

Have I ever taken so much food that I couldn't eat it all? Yes honestly yes I have . Has my wife done the same? Yes--she has.
But if we do the waste is minimal--we don't take 2-3 times more than we could possibly eat.
I don't sit and watch for passersby to see what and how much they have on a plate. I think we all may be a little guilty sometimes for taking more than we can eat but there's a difference between having a little more than you can eat and pure gluttony and I think we all know the difference.
Right now I'm going downstairs to get some cookies and milk--do I need them??? NO but I want them !!
Happy sailing and happy eating to all !!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

As Green rd stated out, my post was to point out that noticing bad, crude or unacceptable behaviour, whatever that may mean, is not being a busy body or habit police. This is the Gripes Board, right? Anyone that does not want to see what others gripe about should not peruse these pages.

We come here to vent a little and commiserate with like minded people. As I said before, if anyone is claiming that there is nothing other people can and have done that touches a nerve in them, those people are either dead or liers.

Maybe overt gluttony does not bother you, faraway, fine. I'm sure there is something that does. A drunk trying to pick up your significant other? A careless driver dinging your new car and not owning up? Neighbors dogs leaving a steamy pile in your yard? Come on, something has to get your dander up! You have a pulse don't you?

Well here is your opportunity to let off some steam about some little (or big) thing someone does on a cruise that just gets your goat. Let 'er rip!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraway
Like thasic said, I don't think anybody is going out of their way to monitor others' plates. It is just something you notice. Especially when the buffet line stalls while somebody is piling it on.

People also notice good things but they are Cruise Gripes.
Hey, is it okay for me to push past the annoying health nut in the Salad Bar looking for the perfect two pieces of letttuce. Because she/he is standing between me and the bacon and without my plate full of bacon I'm completely useless in the morning. BTW these same people are all up in the way when I'm trying to watch the ocean from the jogging track. They hog the best excerise equipment and stay on it for hours dude I'm only going to be on it like 5 10 minutes so I can have two desserts at dinner. Stupid health nuts the cruise line should just ban them they are totally ruinning my vacation with thier health ways and it's got to stop!!!!!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:21 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allycat1913
Well, sorry for being the "food police" (not really) but when I have to wait 10 minutes to get pancakes because the idiot in front of me decided to take all 10 in the pan instead of 3, it gets annoying.
As an overweight person I'm very concious of appearing to over indulge in public. That's why I wear a coat with hugh pockets.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigC
Quote:
As an overweight person I'm very concious of appearing to over indulge in public. That's why I wear a coat with hugh pockets.
I line my pockets with zip lock bags.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
First Mate

Katlady..I love your sense of humor
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpine1
Katlady..I love your sense of humor
Thanks, I just couldn't help myself.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
Admiral

I have a big appetite but I do have to watch what I eat. While on a cruise there are so amny temptations that it's hard not to take more than you need. Some people however do take so much that you can't help but notice their over-indulgence.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh, yeah. A person after my own heart! Line those oversized pockets with trash bags, baby! What you don't eat now save for in your room.

Katlady, I say if some health nut is in the way of that hot bacon, don't push past, just push. Move that skinny little twit along by force. There are other people like me looking for the sausage and muffins. Get a move on!

I say ban all the healthy from cruiseing. Only the truly indulgent amongst us should be allowed the joys of an oversized buffet and two deserts!
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Greedy cruisers

Quote:
I just got back from the Carnival Imagination to Nassau yesterday. It disgusted me to see how the passengers acted at the buffets. I saw people getting six cheeseburgers, this one guy who must have put 25 (so not kidding) pancakes on his plate, and the people at dinner who had to always order two of everything----appetizers, entrees and desserts.
If they eat that stuff, then I have no problem with it whatsoever. Put 30 pancakes on your plate if you want. But what kind of upsets me a little, though I try not to be too judgmental, is the folks who heap their plates to overflowing and then get up and leave half the food sitting there. To me that is such a waste. All it does it create more garbage, more work for the crew to clean up, more wasted time and effort in the kitchen.

What I would much rather see is someone take smaller portions and then if they are still hungry, by all means go back up. Same in the dining room. Order one appetizer. If you want another, then order it ... or instead of ordering three appetizers, how about you and your spouse order them for the two of you.

God, there is so much food on cruise ships today. I have trouble finishing one of each, let alone a heaping plate full. I've always eating a 'normal' sized dinner and then, hey ... if I feel a bit hungry still, I could always hit the late night buffet in the Lido. But, trust me ... that never happens.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Beginner

Just returned from Freedom of the Seas and we had an incredible time. Yes, there were times when the person in front of me took the "last one" but really there are so many buffets of food. I could either wait 2 minutes for a new platter or walk across the room to another similar buffet. (There are lots of duplicates.)

I agree with the previous poster about the "food police". Our family of four is not over weight but I can honestly say that my 21 and 19 year old (6'1 & 6'4") can put away alot of food. Sometimes people skip eating breakfast or lunch while on excursions, so they may eat a big dinner. What if the person taking 20 pancakes was getting food for his/her elderly parents who couldn't balance a plate and walk through a buffet line, or perhaps he/she had little children and was getting enough for them, rather than slow up the line with their little ones? It's really their business, isn't it? As far as wastefulness, a cruise is a great time to try different exotic foods, once in a while-you find something that is not to your liking. The trick is taking only a sample of the unknown.

Bottom line, the original poster needs to lighten up and not be so judgmental. Let everyone enjoy their vacation as they see fit. If by chance, one has to wait 5 minutes for another tray of pancakes, relax, you won't starve, they will even make a plate of pancakes just for you or maybe this is an opportunity to try something new.
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasic
Oh, yeah. A person after my own heart! Line those oversized pockets with trash bags, baby! What you don't eat now save for in your room. That is why they have a fridge in the room isn't it? What if I get hungry at 2AM? You can't expect me to get out of bed and take the elevator up to the lido deck. No I just roll over open the fridge and grab my leftover bacon from the morning. Cold bacon grease yummy.

Katlady, I say if some health nut is in the way of that hot bacon, don't push past, just push. Move that skinny little twit along by force. There are other people like me looking for the sausage and muffins. Get a move on!
Good point, but some of these healthy people have muscle tone. That could be a problem.

I say ban all the healthy from cruiseing. Only the truly indulgent amongst us should be allowed the joys of an oversized buffet and two deserts!
Let me know when you start the petition I will sign it and with my real name even.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994