Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellieinNapa View Post
Not everyone has a disability that is apparent. We can't judge a person on a scooter just by looking at them. There are many, many reasons why a person might need assistance that do not include total paralysis. Just because a person doesn't LOOK sick does not mean they are not. And just because they can stand or walk a short distance does not mean they don't need a scooter to get around.
I agree I have MS you may not even no I'm having an attack unless I tell you. Sometimes I get what I call "the feet of flame" it's do to permanent nerve damage. It feels like my feet are on fire, but it appears to be that nothing is wrong. I'm lucky my disease is mild, right now the feet of flames only happen 5 to 10 minutes at a time not to often. My balance on the left side is worst that on the right side.

Actually I saw an interview with Montel Williams his symptoms are very similar to mine. Our first attacks were the same we lost vision in one eye. That freaked me out big time. It's not that you are entirely blind it's that everything gets dark and spotty like someone flashed a camera and the bright light blinds you. Only it lasts about a month. Yes you can still drive.

BTW Montel is right right excerise helps reduce the symptoms, if I work out regular I don't get the feet of flames as often. I have to be careful getting to hot because that is a problem to. I love my Zumba class the dancing helps with the balance issue. They suggestion Yoga, but it's to slow moving for me. If you are in your early 30s and these symptoms sound familiar research MS.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 20th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Passenger

There is also the other side of this coin, those with disabilities that use that to cut in line. Before you flame let me explain.

I am standing in line for 20 minutes to get to the counter, a person in a wheelchair who has just now come up to the counter area, wants to go ahead of me, telling me they need help right away. So, I let them go in front of me, guess what happens, they want a deck of cards.

Another example; I am on an elevator, 2 ladies, mother and daughter, mother in her late 70's, have the walkers that are on wheels with fold down seats. Have seen then every where on the ship. As the elevator doors open, these 2 ladies are waiting to ride it, no problem. However, they are right in front of the door and this happens to be the floor I wish to get off on. As I am moving to exit the elevator, they decide that it is time for them to get on the elevator, not only pushing past me, not only running over my foot and hitting my leg, but causing a small cut that required a band aid to stop the bleeding. Two things to note about this, first, I told them I was getting off the elevator and second, after hearing my ouch, not only did they not say sorry or excuse me, but they said, and I quote "You should not have been in our way, so it is your own fault."

Granted, both of these situations are not the norm, but the point is, I have no issue getting off an elevator or letting someone cut in line in front of me, whether they are old or handicap or even just ask. My point is this, be respectful, whether you are or are not handicap and do not think just because you are, that you are more worthy or less immune to saying excuse me.

Ok, I have my flame retardant suit on, so am prepared for anything.

Old February 20th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Admiral

As someone who is disabled, and with wildly fluctuating symptoms...no flaming from me.
In any group of people you will find some who take advantage of everything and everyone that they can. But, in that same group, you will find super nice, average, and any other aspect you can think of. Sadly, A lot of people who are disabled are also in a lot of pain and that can make them a lot less nice than they might otherwise be. Add in some personal resentment that this horrible thing happened to them and they can be a pain in the....patootie. I dropped out of a support group for my illness because I got so tired of the self pity parties, etc. And, even more, the anger that could not be directed anywhere and thus came out directed at everyone.
I don't doubt that your experiences were real. It does happen.
Marty
Old February 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Canner,
No flame here, I totally see your point. People with disabilities also have to consider others, not just them. If they want people to give them son consideration for their situation, they have to also have some common courtesy, I see it every day.

Your elevator issue was an excellent example, they needed to wait on the side and let the people that want to get off, get off first, then proceed to enter. It works both ways. Nice points!

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 20th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Default Disabilities and the elevators

Parrot Pop has used a cane and last cruise a rollator (walker with seat)..Let me throw this idea out.. how about if the cruise lines had one elevator to only used by handicapped guests? Then again...able bodied people would probably get on it too.. What I liked about our Princess cruise was in the buffet area were several tables that said for "handicapped/wheelchair" guests Have never seen anybody on a scooter getting up and walking about.. A dear friend is going on a cruise and her daughter rented her a scooter, because she walks with a limp, has neurological problem and gets very weak walking... I don't think that is an abuse.. What I do notice is that many people never apologize if they walk into somebody with a cane or walker, they just push ahead.. As for not cruising because you have difficulty walking...let me tell you I think people who cruise, who tour and who continue to "go" deserve all the credit in the world. Should they stay home and vegetate?? When I think of what we did on our last cruise with him using the rollator I'm proud that he keeps going inspite of his age and infirmities..
Old February 21st, 2010, 11:04 AM
Admiral

The way cruise passengers packed themselves into the ships elevators I'm surprised you could get someone in with a cane let alone a wheelchair!

Oh our last cruise in December on RCCL...it was like people would die if they had to wait for the next lift! Several times the elevator was so packed it wouldn't move...everyone would just wait...and my little voice by now in the back of the elevator would say, "Excuse me but theres too many people in here... the lifts too heavy...it's not going to move". NOTHING...so my husband says, "Someone has to get out!" NOTHING. Then after a full one to two minutes of waiting...one or two people will step out to wait for the next elevator. One time the elevator actually jerked and dropped a few inches when the doors first closed..after a couple of nervous laughs from everyone the couple that got in last opened the doors and stepped out.

What's even more curious, is when passengers can see the elevator is full and they still push in anyway... they just gotta stuff that box...it's sorta like stuffing themselves into a commuter train or on the New York subway...only this box is going UP and DOWN. Hello...Weight matters!

BTW: Ever been in the back of a full elevator and tried to get off? The doors open and no one in the front wants to move...it's like they expect you to just float over them..or maybe there's some unwritten law we don't know abut that if THEY step out of the elevator to let YOU out...they won't be allowed back in!

I know this is off topic but it's my gripe about elevator's on cruise ships.
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:23 PM
Admiral

A wheel chair is one thing, but I am not fond of those scooters. I was in a elevator once with a large group of people and some lady on a scooter says make way and plows her way in, people were flat up against the wall and some could have been hurt. There seems to be a lot of comments about smokers on these boards, I think someone should look into have rules for scooters. Before everyone jumps on me, I do understand that if you are lucky enough to live a long time you might need some help, for the most part older people are not the issue it is the younger overweight people that I see causing most of the issues. Having said that I just remembered getting on a elevator with a cup of coffee a short little old lady ran on the elevator and hit me hard. We both were covered with coffee. I walked off the elevator and take the stairs more now than ever before. An opinion is like a hat size everyone has one. Mike
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Default Strollers

Lets add to list the obnoxious the mothers with the strollers who insist upon passing you buy and hitting your heels whether you with a cane or walker..Frankly when you get to our age and you can physically travel I think it's wonderful.and yet I met a family with a young teenager in a wheelchair and have met people with white canes..As long as you have the ability and desire to travel...it's wonderful.. People just don't have common courtesy I believe..nor do their precious little ones. As for smokers.. well I've been by the bedside of a sister in law who died from smoking and it was a painful passing for her and her family.. Know a woman who was diagnosed with cancer years ago and has outlived everybody until now with her constant smoking...now..I hear she has only 3-4 months left. It's the smell on smokers I can't stand...My sister in law died on a Mothers Day..a death that I wish every smoker could have been with her those last days..they might try to give it up.
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mon, I am not for smoking, in fact I don't smoke but my wife does. There are many cruse lines we don't go on because of smoking rules. If she stops having fun our cruising days will end and I don't want that. Would I like to see her stop smoking you bet, but she can't or won't so we enjoy the time we have. Do I worry some times about what might happen to her, sure. I am sorry you have lost so many people to smoking. We have known quite a few ourselves, but it does not seem to make a difference to her. So we will sail and enjoy for as long as we can. Mike
Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:42 AM
Admiral

The stroller moms and dads drive me crazy to. Not all just the one the use the stroller to clear paths through crowds and don't have any respect for other people. As far as smoking it don't really have a strong opinon one way or another. If the smokers are following the rules of the cruise ship everything is cool.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Stroller or not, as long as they don't just stop in the middle of the road, drives me crazy. I think sometimes, they forget there are people right behind them??

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Ah people, and their diversity. Nothing like a cruise ship to bring out what we donít like about each other, and what it takes to be social to those around you.

I give respect to folks with a disability as I would not want their life, simple it is tough.

And I actually do differentiate between how some people with a disability react in certain social scenarios compared to a person that is able bodied doing the same thing. For one person there may be underlying reasons for it, as for the other no acceptable reason.

But,,, forgetting others disability as a reason to moan. If you put 3,000 people all of the same age, fitness levels, same interests, same values in life, non smokers, non drinkers, non gamblers all together on a ship. Then I will bet my next monthís salary they would still find something to "pick on" regarding those around them and their actions or behaviour.

Thatís just human nature, canít change it. SO moaning about others is just that, moaning its always going to happen
Old March 21st, 2010, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYCEV View Post
THE ONLY WAY TO GET TO THE 6THFLOOR ON gOLDEN AND gRANDIS TO GO TO THE FAR AFT ELEVATORS The others don't go to the 6th floor and since I am in a wheelchair I can't use the stairs then when an elevator does come by it is usually packed with others tring to get to the same place
Joyce, that is because the galley is there and you can't go through the galley. I am not sure this could be corrected on existing ships.

I liked Princess because this actually thinned the crowds out in the centrum area, and I found it was not nearly as bad as RCI voyager class ships. Perhaps though, if your companion can't wheel you to the back elevators, (or if that is too much hassle) maybe you should avoid cruising on Princess grand class ships.

It would be nice if Princess had an elevator reserved only for the handicapped in that area which they enforced by having an employee operate it who would turn away able bodied people.

Now, I usually will walk up the stairs for just one deck, but if I was on the elevator I would get out for someone handicapped.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014