Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Default Tipping Question - How Paid

We have not been on Celebrity in about 3 years. The last cruise we made on the Connie, we tipped "Traditional" as we always do. Currently, is your S/S card automatically charged per day unless you opt out? Our last cruise, you had to tell them to charge your S/S card if you wanted it...was not automatic. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

How much do I pay in gratuities?
Subject: Payments

For your convenience, we will automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion: $11.50 per person per day for guests in staterooms ($12.00 per person per day for guests in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms and $15.00 per person per day for guests in Suites). These service gratuities are based on the following recommended amounts:

Restaurant Service*Per Person Per Day
Waiter$3.65
Assistant Waiter$2.10
Dining Room Management$1.00
Stateroom Service*Per Person Per Day
Butler (Suites Only)$3.50
Stateroom Service $3.50 ($4.00 for Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms)
Alternative Service*
Other Service Personnel$1.25
Beverage Service personnel are acknowledged with a 15% service charge which will be automatically added to the bill.

*Please note that gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Admiral

You can either pre-pay or have it charged to your account, my opinion is that it's best left that way & should you wish to give extra you can, I think the amount "charged" is more a service charge but extra is not expected though obviously gratefully accepted.
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Thank you. I thought that may be the case now. We always have and will continue tipping at the end of the cruise via envelope. I don't like automatically being charged tips on our S/S card. Last time we were on Celebrity, one had to notify (opt in) guest sevices to automatically charge your card. Now we will have to make a special trip to guest services to tell them not to charge our card for tips. Old fashioned maybe, but still prefer the cash in envelope and hand shake on last cruise night.

Old December 14th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Admiral

I see that, but do you maybe feel that tipping in cash upsets the applecart & the the person getting the cash just has to hand it in to the pool?
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I see that, but do you maybe feel that tipping in cash upsets the applecart & the the person getting the cash just has to hand it in to the pool?

When a Company says things like "For your convenience, we will automatically etc", I get a smile on my face...yea right I don't see how tipping "Traditional" upsets the applecart. Either way, your service provider is getting his/her tips.

Sorry....did not mean to post this thread to the Gripes board....wrongly thought I was posting under the Celebrity board. However, that said, in a way I quess this could be a gripe. I have have never been a fan of programs like automatically doing something for someone until told not to do so. I believe in "opt in NOT opt out. Let me decide how and if I want to tip....don't automatically do it for me under the pretense of "For your convenience, we will automatically etc".

Last edited by Rick; December 14th, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Captain

But also remember that some of the tips go too those crew you may not actually interact with and if you opt to just pay those you come in contact with, you may be cheating others you don't come in contact with.

Tipping is a very personal and controversal subject, and while I like to tip the "old fashioned" way as you do, I have changed my view in recent years on this so that I know those folks "behind the scenes" also get rewarded too ! Old fashioned way will leave some of those folks out and is that really fair ?

Food for thought.

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old December 15th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
When a Company says things like "For your convenience, we will automatically etc", I get a smile on my face...yea right I don't see how tipping "Traditional" upsets the applecart. Either way, your service provider is getting his/her tips.

Sorry....did not mean to post this thread to the Gripes board....wrongly thought I was posting under the Celebrity board. However, that said, in a way I quess this could be a gripe. I have have never been a fan of programs like automatically doing something for someone until told not to do so. I believe in "opt in NOT opt out. Let me decide how and if I want to tip....don't automatically do it for me under the pretense of "For your convenience, we will automatically etc".
Even though I manage cruise ships for a living, I often laugh as well when I see the "For your convenience" stories.
But.............
How does it "upset the applecart" by tipping manually?

As soon as a guest removes the auto tips, it is reported to all department heads onboard. Lists of passengers who have removed the auto-tips are posted on notice boards in every department of the ship. Although it should not be the case, this list is viewed as black list of sorts.

1. Those department heads automatically assume that the tips were removed for poor service. They go after the crewmembers responsible for the passengers who removed the tips.

2. When you do tip cash to the staff who took care of you, they are required to turn in that cash, and it is added to the overall tipping pool. If the cash you gave as tips is less than the auto-tip, the employees involved typically take cash out of their pockets to make up the shortfall. That cash goes into the tipping pool as well. In effect, these waiters and cabin stewards end up tipping themselves (and their colleagues) for you.

Is any of this fair?
Not really.
But that is how the system works.
Old December 15th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Even though I manage cruise ships for a living, I often laugh as well when I see the "For your convenience" stories.
But.............
How does it "upset the applecart" by tipping manually?

As soon as a guest removes the auto tips, it is reported to all department heads onboard. Lists of passengers who have removed the auto-tips are posted on notice boards in every department of the ship. Although it should not be the case, this list is viewed as black list of sorts.

1. Those department heads automatically assume that the tips were removed for poor service. They go after the crewmembers responsible for the passengers who removed the tips.

2. When you do tip cash to the staff who took care of you, they are required to turn in that cash, and it is added to the overall tipping pool. If the cash you gave as tips is less than the auto-tip, the employees involved typically take cash out of their pockets to make up the shortfall. That cash goes into the tipping pool as well. In effect, these waiters and cabin stewards end up tipping themselves (and their colleagues) for you.

Is any of this fair?
Not really.
But that is how the system works.
Blacklist? go after crew members? take cash out of their own pockets? end up tippiing themselves and others? removal of the auto-tips are posted on notice boards in every department of the ship Those department heads automatically assume that the tips were removed for poor service. They go after the crewmembers responsible for the passengers who removed the tips.

With all due respect...thats rubbish and I think untrue. If you want to tip "Traditional", you simply go to guest services the first day of the cruise and tell them not to charge your card.

Old December 15th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
But also remember that some of the tips go too those crew you may not actually interact with and if you opt to just pay those you come in contact with, you may be cheating others you don't come in contact with.

Tipping is a very personal and controversal subject, and while I like to tip the "old fashioned" way as you do, I have changed my view in recent years on this so that I know those folks "behind the scenes" also get rewarded too ! Old fashioned way will leave some of those folks out and is that really fair ?

Food for thought.
Why would I want to tip crew that I do not interact with? If I tipped based on your logic, I would be tipping everyone on the ship to include the Captain.

Old December 15th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Why would I want to tip crew that I do not interact with? If I tipped based on your logic, I would be tipping everyone on the ship to include the Captain.
And you don't think that those that are working behind the scenes affect your cruise in some ways i.e. lido deck staff, cooks, laundry, etc.... ? Just because you do not come in contact directly with them does not mean they are not adding to your overall cruise experience !

Some folks just don't get it.....and you appear to be one of them !

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old December 15th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
And you don't think that those that are working behind the scenes affect your cruise in some ways i.e. lido deck staff, cooks, laundry, etc.... ? Just because you do not come in contact directly with them does not mean they are not adding to your overall cruise experience !

Some folks just don't get it.....and you appear to be one of them !

Last time I checked, our cruise was not free. What is the thousands of dollars we paid for the cruise used for? When we go on a cruise, we don't spend much time dwelling on cooks, laundry room workers, lido deck staff etc. When you go to a land based Restaurant, do you tip the person who seats you, the person on the cash register, the cook, the cleaners, the company who washes their table cloths etc? Of course you don't! But I don't get it.

Old December 16th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Captain

No point in continuing this..... just tried to give you another perspective to your philosophy. Tipping is personal and should be determined by each individual.

Merry Christmas and may all your cruise or land vacations be wonderful.

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old December 16th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
No point in continuing this..... just tried to give you another perspective to your philosophy. Tipping is personal and should be determined by each individual.

Merry Christmas and may all your cruise or land vacations be wonderful.
I agree and really do appreciate your sharing your perspective on it. Merry Christmas to you too!