Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Viking River Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Beginner

Default The Danube River in July 2006

We are going on our first river cruise which will be on the Viking Line on the Danube River from Neuremburg to Budapest in July. I just heard that there is some flooding of the Danube. Will this affect our trip?Also what type of clothes should we bring? Do the dinners require jackets for men?Thanks for any information.
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Water conditions can definitely affect your vacation, however I would think that flooding season will be over by July. If you continue to hear stories of flooding contact your travel agent or the company and ask them if they will have any effect.
Old June 27th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Beginner

Hello!
We are going on the Nuremberg to Budapest cruise on Aug. 27th. I was also wondering about the dress codes. Viking's information is rather vague, saying that most nights are casual, and Captain's and one other are "a little dressier". We always prefer to err on the dressy side. Better to be a little overdressed than under. So I'm planning to wear a plain, long black dress. I figure that fits in everywhere, so I won't worry about it. They also said we should bring a wrap for chilly evenings. Ah, well, a good excuse to crochet myself a shawl. All that stuff from the 70's appears to be back in style! (Who knew?)

I have a couple of questions myself. We will be flying from NYC to Paris, then changing planes, and not arriving in the Nuremberg airport until 2 PM. From what I've read, many shops in Nuremberg are closed (geschlossened) on Sunday. Where and how do we get breakfast and lunch? I have a feeling we'll be lucky to make our connection in the time alloted at Charles DeGaulle Airport. I could swear the Viking literature didn't mention anything about lunch on embarkation day. Also, going on the theory that we will have to purchase some food before we get onboard, I'm planning on getting some euros ahead of time, until I can get to an ATM in Germany.

Please post a detailed review when you get back. I'd love to hear all about what your impressions are. I promise to do the same. I'm sure there are a lot of people considering this type of cruise, and as you know there aren't nearly as many posts as for the ocean cruises.

This will be our second river cruise, but the first in Europe. Our first river cruise was on the American Queen out of New Orleans, and we had a blast! From what I've read, this will be a totally different experience from either an ocean cruise or an American riverboat cruise. I'm really excited, as I've always wanted to go to Germany and Austria. I even took an adult ed German class to brush up. (It's been quite a while since my 3 years of high school German!)

Have a wonderful time! Hope to hear from you when you return, if not before!
Old June 27th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Viking River cruises are not too dressy, but not casual either. No T-shirts or jeans at meals. Many Europeans do not wear neckties even on formal occasions. But colored, buttoned shirts, slacks and blazers are quite adequate.

For women, dark colors, but not too formal as what you might wear to a wedding. A tasteful dress or even pantsuit is acceptable.